• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do many people consider watching tv okay but not video games?

From my experiences
1. I’ve lost entire days to a video game session. Usually, multiplayer experience where one minute it was 10 a.m and the next it’s 7 pm. It didn’t even feel that long but day was over in a flash. Tried watching 4-5 (hour long) episodes of a show and I usually needed a break. Felt exhausting.
2. If I’m watching a show with the family, we’re all talking and interacting as we watch. Video game I’m locked in with head phones so others aren’t involved socially.
Parents usually just more involvement in their kids lives so gaming can make that more challenging

Games, esp nowadays are made to be addictive. Tv much less, if at all.

Personally both are shit. But im just a shitty average joe so 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Brazen

Both TV and video games can give you knowledge, wisdom, exposure/imagination, and ideas. Video games go further than that and will increase your abilities in problem solving, math/language, and reflexes/hand-eye coordination depending on the genres you engage with.

Can't say I regret any of the time wasted in the hundreds/thousand or so fictional worlds I been to in my lifetime, nor can I deny the impact it's had on my proficiency in a multitude of life skills. That said the addiction concerns with video games isn't unwarranted, especially for kids, but the key as with anything is moderation or self-moderation.

spawn

1. They're old and fear technology
2. Ignorant
3. Watch Fox news that tells them video games are causing school shootings

Plashe

Neo Member
I think it does have to do with how parents grow up without games but I also think the games that are popular have something to do with it, games like Call of Duty aren't as good for you as even a children's comedy show, a lot of things I learned when I was younger was from shows but games like Call of Duty I never really gained anything from and would turn my brain off sometimes, I think if more puzzle focused games with higher quality stories were popular parents would change their view, I think the same applies for why some people think that games aren't art, you also can't have as much fun watching tv as you can playing a game so 2 hours of tv and you're bored but games you spend a longer time playing

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
First, TV was looked down upon. But then everyone watches so it's ok.

Then, video games were looked down upon, but people that grew up with them are now parents (or even grandparents) so that stigma is lessening.

Now, I think TikTok is rotting brains, but I'm going to be the old fogey once kids who lived their lives on it grow up to have kids of their own.

HoodWinked

Actually something came to mind.

Probably has way more to do with personal biases

Almost everyone watches TV so to be overly harsh would be admission that they waste time. But not everyone plays video games. So it's a way to make a distinction that while they may watch TV its not as much of a waste of time as someone playing games.

Now on the other hand if someone plays games and doesn't watch TV they may think the opposite and say TV is a waste of time.

Then those that do both activities will say there isn't much distinction between the two.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because they don't care if they're doing it themselves as long as they talk shit about someone else, if they start playing games tomorrow, they'd stfu right away. Simple hypocrisy.

Trilobit

It's an interesting question. I talked with a friend a while back and we're both in our 30s. I mentioned that I occasionally play games and he said "you still do that?" I didn't really know what to say. It'd be like as if someone was surprised I still listen to music, watch movies or read books.

On the other hand I intentionally don't buy games with no ending like sports games or racing games as I know I can get addicted. But getting something with a good story that ends and I feel satisfied with is something I'll keep doing in a retirement home.

I don't play like I used to in my teens, but setting aside some time for a game I've longed for is a great pleasure in life. It feels like a far better use of my time than watching reality TV shows or scrolling Instagram.

In the end you just have to stop caring about some people's opinions. I think lying on the beach for days when I'm vacationing would be a huge waste of time for me. I'd rather walk around exploring the place or going to historical sites, but I understand that people have different pleasures and interests and that's a part of the human experience.

AmuroChan

I actually encourage my kids to play games over watching TV/Youtube. Games are interactive and helps with developing hand/eye coordination. It also requires using your brain to solve puzzles, perform different in-game actions, etc. When my kids are just watching YT, I can literally see them shutting their brains off and getting dumber by the minute.

The reason is that older people tend to think video games are mindless violence and are ignorant of what video games are like nowadays. Older people ignorant of these video games don't even realize there are complex stories now and video games are more akin to interactive movies and actually have been for quite some time.

To tell you the truth, I feel video games nowadays have better stories than most movies or television and are far more creative.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
TV is NPC mind control mostly. Filled with pushed narratives and piss poor content

Gaming is broad. But has it's stupidity as well.

Stigma and low vibration conciousness.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Because it’s a bigger time investment and unlike TV you don’t do it together with the family.

I'd say a good multiplayer game creates and stimulates a more meaningfull family dynamic rather then passively watching BS show x on channel Y

Depends on the tv content ofcourse. It's not black and white

Codes 208

Different strokes for different folks.

Its like why my dad asks why im not into (american) football. Because im a nerd and would rather play zelda or halo than watch manly men bodyslam eachother in a game i still dont understand.

Darchaos

Well on tv we can atleast sometimes see and hear people that have an education. With games, we mostly hear and see influencers that think they are something when in reality they are people that cant function at all with a real job in what we call real life and i think people sees gamers in the same way. Hell ive seen streamers having "education" in how to play Destiny.....wtf??? Games are games, and just like movies its a escape from reality, nothing more nothing less.

And before someone says: well you and youre spelling dosent seem smart at all......No im not, so imagine if i was a streamer/influencer and had people actually listen to me....good god.

Last edited:

RaduN

Preconception, with a touch of fear for what you don't understand.

Also, when needed, video games wer/are a convenient enemy in certain situations (like teenagers with long hair, homosexuals, people with higher levels of education, etc).

Chronicle

I whole heartedly agree. There is a stigma around video games and I think it's the word 'games'. It sounds immature. However, I always justify it by saying some people like books for entertainment, some like movies, podcasts, TV, sports etc. My preference for entertainment is games. I find them interesting, challenging and very very fun. I hold a deep respect for sone games. I mean they're really really cool.

Plus I can fuck shit up!

It's just that video game they're still kind of a new thing even though they've been around for 40 plus years, so a lot of especially older people love to blame it on all sorts of things whether it's violence, etc.

Many decades ago was comic books and people have always bitched about TV and what it's doing to kids.

The fact is, video games are the future of entertainment. It makes more money than movies or television now and it is the biggest money making entertainment industry in existence right now. That's not going to stop especially when the technology is it going to become way more advanced to the point where you're going to be able to "enter" the video game and interact with it while it looks realistic. It is like the holodeck which is an advanced video game and is the prime entertainment in the Star Trek universe. So even Star Trek knew that video games are going to become the go to entertainment. They're already interactive movies pretty much and it's only going to become more so.

Video games are going to become the mainstream and there's nothing that's going to stop that now. People will still want to watch static entertainment because it's relaxing but video games are still going to be the top form of entertainment.

Last edited:

Johnny2Bad

It takes so much brains and energy to watch TV.
iVCO0jW.png

-Minsc-

It's reasonable to say previous generations threw shade at television in a similar manner. Before TV were radio and books. Before radio and books was outside. Up next to hit the gaming mainstream is the divide between traditional open room and closed helmet VR gaming. On another gaming note, a divide many may not be even be aware of is couch vs online multiplayer.

At 41 I find I'm viewing the question asked in the title differently than I would have two decades ago. In the past I'd read it as "Why do people not like this thing I like?" Honestly, this is how I read it before typing my reply. The difference between now and the past is today I don't take offence to the question, at least in this informal text based space. If someone asked me to my face I'm sure I'd still get a little salty. Age is telling me my entire life foundation can not be held up by having nobody disagree with what I like.

For gaming in general, I'm continuing to observe where it fits into my life. While gaming on its own is not a waste of time, I know for a fact I have wasted time gaming. How to both enjoy a game and understand the "haters" make valid points.

Currently I don't game very much. Maybe gaming is something that will leave my life. Another option is I'm in a healing phase from overindulgence. What is dead is me gaming four or more hours a day. Four hours, once a week, may be the limit to what's healthy for my life.

Thanks for the opportunity to sort though some things in my head.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I can get more from TV than video games, but it depends what I watch.

I get more enjoyment watching boxing, football (soccer) and Rugby Union than video games because I'm a sports fan. TV can also be an education tool with documentaries, news channels, political talk shows etc etc. However, I'd rather play a video game than binge some Netflix show for 5 hours as I'd more out of the video game.

I'm not shitting on video games as I love the hobby, but TV offers more to me personally and is less of a time waste.

Adeptus

In my country there are still some preachers who did not get the memo "TV is OK now, we are condemning video games and social portals" and are still preaching that "TV brainwashes minds of our children!".

Patrick S.

Banned
Especially some rpgs. Just as good as reading a book sometimes.

I’m sure video games have helped my reflexes for dodging animals when driving at night
No joke, I assure you that the hundreds of hours I’ve spent playing racing games like Gean Turismo before I ever drove a car in real life helped me in a couple of dangerous driving situations, like for example reacting correctly to the tail of my Toyota MR2 kicking out, or to better understand the dynamics of breaking before and accelerating after a turn, or what to do if your car understeers or your brakes lock up. I’m not saying playing Gran Turismo made me a racing driver, but it did form certain reflexes and knowledge I can call upon in my sleep, that someone who is new to driving and has never played any kind of driving sim will simply not have.

Because it’s a bigger time investment and unlike TV you don’t do it together with the family.
Tv represents news, parties, the foundation of the entertainment centers in living rooms.
From my experiences
1. I’ve lost entire days to a video game session. Usually, multiplayer experience where one minute it was 10 a.m and the next it’s 7 pm. It didn’t even feel that long but day was over in a flash. Tried watching 4-5 (hour long) episodes of a show and I usually needed a break. Felt exhausting.
2. If I’m watching a show with the family, we’re all talking and interacting as we watch. Video game I’m locked in with head phones so others aren’t involved socially.
Parents usually just more involvement in their kids lives so gaming can make that more challenging
Purchase a Nintendo Switch.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Man dies after playing World of Warcraft for 44 hours straight."

vs.

"I watched 4 hours of The Office OMG."

Games and TV are not the same, sorry.

Griffon

Because boomers.

Before their generation, wasting your life away in front of TV wasn't a thing, and it wont be a thing anymore once they're gone.

They'll be remembered as the generation of passive TV consumers.

Last edited:
I'm sure when the next generation is getting their entertainment by punching each other in the nuts we'll be the people going, "Back in my day we simped for multi-national corporations on Twitter for fun!"

"Ok Grandpa, go play your Elder Scrolls 7, we've got a rousing game of nut slap going."

Crayon

In my experience they are projecting because they watch so much tv. "I don't have time for that". Sure but you have 4 hours a night to watch superheroes punch bad guys and jump on their heads.

Also, sometimes they are not allowed. My friend's wife dissaproves of him playing games. Then when they are fighting, he'll play something for like 4 hours a night right in front of her.

Jsisto

There’s layers to it. There’s the generational gap where the older generation still views games as super simple. ”What level are you on”. “Did you get a high score!?” They, rightfully so in their perspective, view games as a childish distraction, without realizing modern games often have deep, engrossing storylines and possibility for cooperation/teamwork.

Then there’s the male/female divide. Males are disproportionately more likely to play videogames than women. In a relationship where only the man plays, she’ll likely view it as competition for his attention. Watching tv together can be a social activity, gaming not so much if only one person is playing.

Top Bottom