• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people like Nicholas Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like him (probably because I kinda only remember him from some bad movies), but I LOVE Gifolas Cage, one of the best (named) pages on the Internet.

(once upon a time this site only had gifs, but nowadays it has gifs and other pics)

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I tracked down a copy of Vampire's Kiss after seeing that 'Nic Cage losing his shit' video, and it's probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Jex

[Fugo]

I was 7 years old when I watched Rasing Arizona at the theatre. It was mindblowing.

Also, he's funny. Can't hate him even if he did loads of bad movies between the good ones

Because he is the greatest actor to ever walk the Earth.

post-35374-nicolas-cage-fist-bump-gif-Con-8QKy.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not exactly sure, but I just enjoy watching him. It's like Keanu Reeves. He's also a pretty bad actor who I for some reason always enjoy. (Although Cage has some really good performances on his résumé.)

Sub_Level needs to watch more Cage. You need more crazy in your life.
adaptation1.jpeg

First, go watch Adaptation which has Cage playing against himself as twins. One is a screenwriter, it's an amazing movie about Hollywood. Then watch Bad Lieutenant and Raising Arizona. He's awesome in Kick Ass. Ghost Rider 2 let his crazy out.
tumblr_m8ahfbYFJR1r29mqno1_500.gif

Loads of actors and directors love the crazy he can bring.

At the pharmacy

Nicolas Cage and the alphabets

I hate you

He's been getting great reviews with Joe, can't wait to see that.
cage-joe.jpg

I know all about the Wicker Man stuff and whatnot but it seems like a lot of people nonironically like Nicholas Cage.

Was watching Lord of War yesterday and was surprisingly entertained. Same with The Rock. Nothing about his performance is exceptional or even hard to replicate I imagine but for some reason Nicholas Cage keeps appearing in movies. Were Face/Off and Con Air supremely popular back then?

MV5BNDY3NzQ0NjYxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkzODM2Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Isn't he famous because he's related to Francis Ford Coppola?

Oh, and the hammy acting.

old

Because he's a great actor who is willing to do bad movies for a paycheck. There's nothing like watching a bad movie with great lead acting.

Thinking about it, he may be my favourite current Hollywood actor. He seems smart and not too obsessed by his looks. Recently, Bad Lieutenant was a genuinely good movie.

daveo42

Banned
I expected this to be posted earlier!

Also, the Cage is pretty amazing me to watch in most movies that he's in, at least when he's given the space to go 'full Cage'. Still, I think there's a common misconception that people only like him because he makes weird faces in bad movies, but that's not the case. He's done plenty of solid work in good movies e.g. Adaptation, Leaving Las Vegas.

Adaptation is probably one of his best films. He does do a lot of bad movies, but he has this way of making bad movies fun to watch and makes good movies even better. Also, if you haven't seen Bringing Out the Dead, you should remedy that as soon as possible.

RangerX

Banned
Its because hes a fantastic actor,when he wants to be. Leaving Las Vegas,Adaption,Bad lieutenant,Raising Arizona and Bring out the dead. His performances in those films range from great to excellant. Yeah hes done a lot of shit but thats all for the paycheck.

CREMSteve

Because his movies are (mostly) good.

National Treasure 1/2
The Rock
Con-Air
The Croods
Face/Off
Drive Angry
Trespass
Knowing
Kick-Ass
World Trade Center
The Family Man
Gone in Sixty Seconds
8MM
Snake Eyes
City of Angels
Lord of War

I enjoyed every one of those.

Because I like him and some of his movies. Sure he makes a lot of shitty movies but some like 8mm, Face-Off or Lord of War were really great.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just saw Raising Arizona.

Knew nothing about it going in other than Nicolas Cage and it was pretty good. Cute well-made movie.

Little bit of Ghost Rider foreshadowing there with the big biker dude who leaves a trail of fire behind him. He even used a chain at one point. Next up I'm gonna watch Leaving Las Vegas. For the purposes of my head canon, every Nicolas Cage movie takes place in the same universe.

I hqve enoyed immensely every movie I hqve seen with him, cant really say that about any other actors besides maybe Clint Eastwood whomis my fav

This nicholas cage lol stuff that started in the past few years is fueled by children coming of age in the 21st century world of internet memes, and have absolutely no idea that Cage is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola and can act better than most of Hollywood. He has been cashing checks ever since National Treasure (except Port of Call New Orleans), and he deserves some of the criticism and ridicule. But jeeze guys. Go watch Leaving Las Vegas, City of Angels and Moonstruck.

Forsete

I genuinely like him.

Bad Lieutenant, Joe, The Frozen Ground, Super 8, National Treasure movies, World Trade Center, The Rock etc. are all enjoyable movies. Super 8 is probably my fav, just because it is so twisted.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like Nicholas Cage that if I met him and he turned me down for an autograph or was super rude to me, I'd still call it a win.

Heck, the fact that he's gonna be in the new Left Behind movie kinda makes me wanna watch it.
I know how you feel. I hate Christian propaganda but I really want to see this. Does that mean they win?

LProtag

My theory is that he's actually a great actor. He really throws himself into a role and gives you exactly what's in the script.

The issue is the script.

For me, The Weather Man. It's been super overlooked because it's his most muted performance but it's quietly a very good film and one that I respect.

And on the other end of pure entertainment, Con Air's golden.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm not a Nicholas Cage fan, but would y'all hate me if I said I liked him in Ghostrider?

Dopus

Banned
Because when he's in a decent movie he's actually pretty good for instance Lord of War, The Weather man & Adaptation. Seems like a likeable guy and whenever he does bad movies they're usually hilariously bad which makes them good. Why wouldn't you like him?!

eXistor

He's generally fun to watch and he can be genuinely amazing. See Bad Lieutenant, Wild at Heart, Raising Arizona, Face/Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation. Even in his many shitty movies, he's always entertaining enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom