• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many men pretend to be women online?

literally 90% of the female-looking profile on anywhere on the internet. even games . you see are males. you get this "girl" that has an online girl name. talks like a female obviously I don't mean this is a sexist way but we all know what I mean. a bit more soft toned. girly profile picture. and sometimes would link profiles to other online sites of them pretending to be girls

like wtf does this accomplish?. tricking straight guys into sending you dick picks? I mean. I've heard situations where pretending to be of the opposite sex online to be useful. but not like on a message board or something what does that do?.

its the stupidest thing ever. I don't understand it. really. at all. its so prevalent its perplexing. the trend recently seems to be pretending to be an asian chick.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

literally 90% of the female-looking profile on anywhere on the internet. even games . you see are males. you get this "girl" that has an online girl name. talks like a female obviously I don't mean this is a sexist way but we all know what I mean. a bit more soft toned. girly profile picture. and sometimes would link profiles to other online sites of them pretending to be girls

like wtf does this accomplish?. tricking straight guys into sending you dick picks? I mean. I've heard situations where pretending to be of the opposite sex online to be useful. but not like on a message board or something what does that do?.

its the stupidest thing ever. I don't understand it. really. at all. its so prevalent its perplexing. the trend recently seems to be pretending to be an asian chick.

I did it once when i played on Phantasy star universe, but that was when i had a squad with me and we all made female characters just to mess with people. People were inviting us too games, helping us out on quest like we never played before.

One weird experience was, they told us to come back to there rooms and basically teabag on there male characters. LMAO

Lucumo

So OP is assuming things based off avatars and the way people write and then accuses them of pretending to be something?

compensation for not having a girl? I'LL BE MY OWN GIRL ;_;

i play pubg and it's almost standard to play as a girl, i always thought of it as a way to play the game with some humor

if it's because females hit boxes are smaller and harder to hit then you're a pussy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think guys are ugly and if I have to look at a character's backside in a game for dozens of hours and play dress up with various sets of gear and equipment, I'd almost always prefer a female avatar. There are some games where I do prefer a male avatar because they actually make the guy look cool, like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 2 Remake.

That's pretty much the same reason I like a lot of female avatar pics. The pic is more for me to look at then for all of you. I have to see this picture every single time I post lol.

hivsteak

Its all for the donger pics. Even using a grotesque handle like hivsteak I could post a picture of myself in a wig and some make up somewhere and build up an impressive collection of unsolicitated dick pics overnight.

Grinchy

Banned
In MMOs, it was common for guys to do this because of the insanely special treatment girls get in that area. If you only read Kotaku articles then you think female gamers go through experiences worse than the Holocaust, but in MMOs, girl gamers have thirsty guys doing everything they can for them all day long.

Pretend to be a girl in Everquest and suddenly guys are lining up to bring you money and items. You can cause a major team wipe and it's no problem, it happens! Here's some more money for your armor repairs! Should I walk for 15 minutes back to Freeport with you to make sure you arrive safely m'lady?

Stitch

Gold Member
When I was using my female character im Ragnarok Online people were always super nice, helped me a lot and gave me items. And I never even asked for it 🤷‍♀️

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I have a female on my avatar but I'm pretty sure that hasn't confused anyone here.

As for those who actually pretend to be females... it's a fetish kind of thing, without question, perhaps a bit like fantasizing that they're pulling the strings on their own lewd puppet of a digital woman. If you've ever come across one of those weird-as-hell roleplay accounts on various social media, you'll recognize the pattern.

brap

Banned
I used to post on a forum for dogecoin and I was using a female avatar. Never said I was female or acted like one. Tons of guys who donate shit to me. It was pathetic. Made like $100 bucks that way.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Same thing with men playing RPGs as female characters.
Most guys would actually love to be a a woman for a change, for a while of course. And i am convinced that many girls/women would love to be a man for some time too.
I used to post on a forum for dogecoin and I was using a female avatar. Never said I was female or acted like one. Tons of guys who donate shit to me. It was pathetic. Made like $100 bucks that way.
Wait, you are a guy?
Disappointed.jpg
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
sorry my dad wont let me have a cam or mic
he thinks youll try to kidnap me or something
but i still play because actually you guys are so nice
can you help me on this dungeon i'm trying to get this cute armor

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
giphy.gif

Don't be shy...
JOIN US
107283265-women-hand-drawn-seamless-pattern-of-a-crowd-of-different-women-from-diverse-ethnic-backgrounds.jpg

Seriously though, I would say it is usually either a troll, a trans woman still in the closet, a guy who may be a bit of a perv, or simply a guy curious about how things differ socially.

giphy.gif

Don't be shy...
JOIN US
107283265-women-hand-drawn-seamless-pattern-of-a-crowd-of-different-women-from-diverse-ethnic-backgrounds.jpg

Seriously though, I would say it is usually either a troll, a trans woman still in the closet, a guy who may be a bit of a perv, or simply a guy curious about how things differ socially.
That pretty much sums it up there......my experience is they usually have problems talking with females in real life so they pretend to be one online as they have a perceived notion that most females would not have their walls up and would talk to their fellow female
so they get a sense of actually conquering their fear

Most Females are naturally cautious as most men would have a physical dominance and someone who is double the size of them and lurking awkwardly towards them trying to make conversation and to get shut down does a lot to someone who is not confident socially
so they explore other options to build up their confidence

Im going to go back and slip into my dress now and jump on tinder

Ten_Fold

I remember when ps3 home was a thing and everyone would crowd the female characters even if it’s a dude on the other side. Anyways I think some people think it’s funny and sometimes guys buy them free stuff.

Kenpachii

When you made a female character in world of warcraft vanilla. You would get so much free stuff from guys creeping up on you. That making a male character was simple hard mode.

nush

Years ago I made a female account on POF for the purpose of getting good ideas for messages to send to women. I did get good ideas that worked. But there were so many creepy sleazy men there contacting that account I kept it just to troll them and honestly while that was a lot of fun I figured if they were bothering my "Female" account that one less real woman they could be bothering.

for the record, I ignored normal guys but that's the norm for online dating anyway no harm no foul.

I used to do it to get major freebies and perks in world of Warcraft. There were also guys who were farming gold and getting leveling assistance as trap gamer-girls so they could sell their WoW accounts for a tidy profit.

Girls have it so easy online. More so than even IRL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom