• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do some women criticize sexualized character designs?

Are you fine with sexualized character designs?

• Total voters

Fuz

Banned
Love the modern graphics of women characters, but it is true, there is some kind of sexism as the image of the women is created incredibly unrealistic and therefore posses the wrong expectations.
sfv-ryu-preorder-1-750.jpg

lock2k

Banned
Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm happy that Blaze's new design is faithful to the old one in Streets of Rage. Glad they didn't cover her up to please the easily offended crowd. :)

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
The media's portrayal of men, women, and what's defined as "society's norms" are what drives the comments. Artist are free to create and express whatever they want but the scrutiny will always be around whatever the hot button issue is at that point and time.
You act like the two (depictions in media and scoietal norms) are separated entirely. That's just not true. They are intrinsically linked, and feed into each other. What's acceptable in society is put in these games by their creators. Most games don't do anything but maintain the status quo. But that's not enough for certain people. that don't like the status quo. Video games need to change so change can happen in the real world too. That idea, that video games can influence the real world in a "positive way" is a call to turn games and other media into propaganda.

Michele

you.
Hello,

It's been exactly three months, so I'm deciding to bump this, because there are still tensions about the sexuality of women in video game
There just hasn't been improvements yet, it's still a ongoing debate. This time, there are new information.

There is a OT2 thread in Resetera about the same discussion. This time, there seems to be a bingo card that tells if a women is sexualised in a video game.
tumblr_n1s2pjSXYN1s755fuo1_r1_500.png

There seems to be sexualised content in Xenoblade Chronicle 2, and now DMC V too.

On the next pages, there seems to be sexualised content in Xenosaga/gears (Really now?). And in the latest pages, they're firstly talking about something Japanese related which I don't understand, and then they are talking about Smash Ultimate, where Mythra and Camilla were censored for the game, whereas in the original game (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem, respectively) they aren't censored.

Sure, this thread may be a little old, but this doesn't mean this issue has been resolved, IMO. Let's also try to consider that lately there have been more female players playing overall.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Why are bingo charts so popular among these people? I could make a page long post giving my opinion and insight, and they'll just put me on a bingo chart. Not worth your time trying to give an opinion over there. Besides, I could probably win Bingo with many male characters as well, but it's "muh male power fantasy." It's a lost cause.

Dunki

Hello,

It's been exactly three months, so I'm deciding to bump this, because there are still tensions about the sexuality of women in video game
There just hasn't been improvements yet, it's still a ongoing debate. This time, there are new information.

There is a OT2 thread in Resetera about the same discussion. This time, there seems to be a bingo card that tells if a women is sexualised in a video game.

There seems to be sexualised content in Xenoblade Chronicle 2, and now DMC V too.

On the next pages, there seems to be sexualised content in Xenosaga/gears (Really now?). And in the latest pages, they're firstly talking about something Japanese related which I don't understand, and then they are talking about Smash Ultimate, where Mythra and Camilla were censored for the game, whereas in the original game (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem, respectively) they aren't censored.

Sure, this thread may be a little old, but this doesn't mean this issue has been resolved, IMO. Let's also try to consider that lately there have been more female players playing overall.
The problem as always is that it is extremely one sided there. You can not even say that other women do not think like that without getting a ban. And the problem will always exist as long modern feminism tries to stay relevant.

As for the censoring in Smash. They did it because of rating reasons which in the end is probably Fine but they also do it in the most laziest way, by just putting more paint on her body.

In the end every women can only speak for herself what she may find terrible and sexist will another women find sexy and attractive, or cool, or she does not care etc. Era is such a hivemind that you will only get one opinion.

Also ti is pretty funny how these people argue about armor not being realistic when it is set in a total fantasy world with own laws, and nature while also fighting magical creatures etc.

Also I never got the DMCV sexualisation? She is naked yes but she "comes" out from a demon totally powerless etc. There is not one bit of sexualisation going on.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why are bingo charts so popular among these people? I could make a page long post giving my opinion and insight, and they'll just put me on a bingo chart. Not worth your time trying to give an opinion over there. Besides, I could probably win Bingo with many male characters as well, but it's "muh male power fantasy." It's a lost cause.

Because it allows them to be as generic and hand-wavey as possible to pretend to have a "GOTCHA!" moment. It is a disingenuous tactic for those who are unable to formulate thoughts or ideas that would support their beliefs.

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member
Hello,

Back with some nitpicks I see. You continue to forget there are females not bothered by this and even cosplaying like them. Stop forcing your views as facts and bother people with them. You are only busy for yourself and some kissing butts alpha males behind a PC, the same alpha males who create females chars in MMO and run around butt naked. My GF hate you kind of woman by destroying her hobby with whining and bitching over nothing. Just go to the middle-east where you really need to fight for female rights and not because some pixel characters offende your female ego.

Elfstar

Why use your brain to actually make an argument when you can just childlishly dismiss and preemptively attack other people's opinions while also pretending you're doing it in a snarky and smartass way.

Saruhashi

Banned
Hello,

Why should the issue be resolved? I mean, designing sexualized characters isn't illegal or anything is it?

So really it's a question of preference. One person can say "i like it" and another can say "i don't like it". Both have to vote with their wallets.

If there's a market for sexualized character designs then I think it's fair game for a designer to go after that market.
Does mean some potential customers are alienated? Sure, that's something the developers have to live with when the money comes in.

On the other hand it's fine to design characters that are not sexualized and people who prefer that content can make the purchase.

One of the things that bugs me about this argument is that it assumes that for some reason all games need to appeal to everyone.
Why? Why isn't sexualized female character designs viewed in similar terms as Dark Souls difficulty or Football Managers' complexity or even VR games.
It might not be for you. It might be for you. That's up to you.

The fundamental argument seems to be over whether or not sexualised designs are bad but "bad" in this context is subjective making the debate kind of pointless.

Xenoblade Chronicles characters look the way they do because thats how they were designed. Nobody is obligated to play the game though. If anything I'd say the combat systems in the game are more likely to make people feel alienated by the game than the design of the characters.

People need to just say "ok, that's clearly not for me" and move on.

Michele

you.
Back with some nitpicks I see. You continue to forget there are females not bothered by this and even cosplaying like them. Stop forcing your views as facts and bother people with them. You are only busy for yourself and some kissing butts alpha males behind a PC, the same alpha males who create females chars in MMO and run around butt naked. My GF hate you kind of woman by destroying her hobby with whining and bitching over nothing. Just go to the middle-east where you really need to fight for female rights and not because some pixel characters offende your female ego.

I am nitpicking? I clearly know that there are females that are not bothered are are fine. Also...I am a woman? I'm sorry to admit it, but I'm actually a male. Neogaf just reset my gender info when upgrading to modern theme.

I actually do know some peoples who like to cosplay as Overwatch, including a female who plays a lot of that game. I'm not saying all women are bothered, but MOST of them just seem to have a problem.

Again, it's one sided, which is a problem.

Why should the issue be resolved? I mean, designing sexualized characters isn't illegal or anything is it?

So really it's a question of preference. One person can say "i like it" and another can say "i don't like it". Both have to vote with their wallets.

If there's a market for sexualized character designs then I think it's fair game for a designer to go after that market.
Does mean some potential customers are alienated? Sure, that's something the developers have to live with when the money comes in.

On the other hand it's fine to design characters that are not sexualized and people who prefer that content can make the purchase.

One of the things that bugs me about this argument is that it assumes that for some reason all games need to appeal to everyone.
Why? Why isn't sexualized female character designs viewed in similar terms as Dark Souls difficulty or Football Managers' complexity or even VR games.
It might not be for you. It might be for you. That's up to you.

The fundamental argument seems to be over whether or not sexualised designs are bad but "bad" in this context is subjective making the debate kind of pointless.

Xenoblade Chronicles characters look the way they do because thats how they were designed. Nobody is obligated to play the game though. If anything I'd say the combat systems in the game are more likely to make people feel alienated by the game than the design of the characters.

People need to just say "ok, that's clearly not for me" and move on.

You're right, the problem here is that the debate seemed to be one sided. It's like everyone seems to be siding with one side and not diving among the others.

I get that it's up to me. I'm fine with sexualized character designs. However, I know there are people who would be bothered with that, hence why I wanted to make this thread a while ago.

As for the last part: why didn't I think of adding that, too? Thanks!

I should definitely make a poll, so hopefully I'm going to set it up now.

On my personal opinion, I don't care about this problem, and I'm fine with sexualized character designs.

Last edited:

Zewp

If it fits the game, sure. But if I'm playing a semi-realistic medieval game, it ruins the immersion when my character is shrugging off sword blows while wearing 2mm thick strips of metal.

CatCouch

Because it allows them to be as generic and hand-wavey as possible to pretend to have a "GOTCHA!" moment. It is a disingenuous tactic for those who are unable to formulate thoughts or ideas that would support their beliefs.
Tell me about it. These bingo cards can be full of hostility and personal attacks, too. Here's one that was used against me a while ago:

https://www.deviantart.com/liketheisland/art/DA-Sexism-Bingo-609685479

There's so many snarky, dismissive paragraphs that go along with it. I understand people not liking the art but to go so far to force it out of existence is ridiculous. You can't be this intolerant and still expect respect.

Why do people put this level of effort into harming others for having different interests? :/

Cactuarman

Banned
Hello,

This bingo chart has been around since 2014 by the way (though it's been updated a few times). What is the new information you're referring to? And I'm going to go ahead and assume that there will still be "tensions" in another 3 months.

My issue with this thread is that I think your framing of this is too simple (which was particularly obvious with the original thread title). But really it's a spectrum of people with varying issues - hence the "some" women. If you are going to resurface this every time you find a group of people that criticize a particular design we could be here for awhile.

Also, I'm not sure how your point about "more females players playing" relates? It might, you just don't connect the dots here - are you saying this issue should have been resolved because more female players are playing? The issue shouldn't have been resolved? I don't know what you're getting at. You're also speculating a bit about a thread I can't seem to find.

Why are bingo charts so popular among these people?

Uh, what? How many bingo charts have you seen?

Edit: CatCouch CatCouch pointed out a second one - I still find this statement to be kind of weird as I'm not sure how one would measure the volume of bingo cards made by a particular group.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

Hello,

It's been exactly three months, so I'm deciding to bump this, because there are still tensions about the sexuality of women in video game (.)

What sort of ideas would anyone have to contemplate in order to even consider the possibility that a mere forum discussion would solve alleged real-world problems?

And what you cheerfully describe as "tensions about the sexuality of women in video game" can be translated as "the people who voiced extreme opinions but failed to the same degree to provide evidence still hold the same ideas and are still failing to provide evidence".

First, you would have to have established a problem exists.
You haven't.
Then you would need to discard the proper definition of a debate in order to apply the term to whatever goes on over there at Resetera.
Thirdly, you would need to present arguments and facts, new, you say, substantiating your case. Let's review what you have to offer.

First, you need to define sexualiszation.
You haven't.
Second, you need to explain why, in your eyes, it is indeed a real problem, why sexualization is morally reprehensible.
You haven't.
Thirdly, you need to establish the above are indeed unequivocal signs of what you describe as sexualization.
You didn't.

Is that just your opinion, or a fact? If it's just your opinion, why should others bow down to your personal opinions? If it's more than opinion, where's the case?
Bring it on.

Sure, this thread may be a little old, but thisout doesn't mean this issue has been resolved, IMO.

The best way to resolve it is to acknowledge sexualization is not a problem until people who assert as much can demonstrate it is, which they haven't, not in the least.

Let's also try to consider that lately there have been more female players playing overall.

Even if true, that doesn't change the nature of the rational argument.
That you seem to think that it does speaks volumes about your appreciation of proper rational discourse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenon

I think this needs be looked at on a case by case basis. There is nothing wrong with these designs if it fits in with the game like many fighting games as long as every female character doesn't look like they did most of their training at the plastic surgery center. RPGs offer more than enough options with character creation for people to create the body type they like. Expecting a company to design their game on a mopey looking hero is silly. Does that mean companies shouldn't try to mix things up a bit more, no. But trying to shame them for putting idealized woman figures in games that have male characters that look like they were chiseled by the gods is silly.

Raitoningu

Banned
Women never cared, it's the weak scared virgins behind their PCs who keep playing the white knights on social media

Personnally, i advocate for more sexy bimbos in games, more boobs/butt physics and more importantly the bikini armors that can be damaged which will add a strategic gameplay

If you feel insecure about these awesome innovation i think you need some serious help

Duallusion

I have to say the title alone makes this thread instantly better then that circle-jerk of a thread, title of which triggered me everytime I've seen it on the front page (every day, basically) when I was still visiting that board. It's a worthwile and interesting subject matter for sure (so-called problem of sexualized character designs and their supposed harmful effects/consequences) but that's also all it is: a thesis, a concern, an argument worth debating; nothing less and certainly nothing more.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
They made an OT2 already? OT1 after few dozens pages had the same topics and discussions recycled over and over.....

Akira1983

Banned
There’s a discussion to be had about this, but not on Neogaf lol

Sorry to be discouraging but not much to add that won’t get an “SJW!!” response

Futaleufu

There's no point debating with those people if you are going to get banned for some "false equivalence" in your post.

Sexualization ≠ Sexism

Humans, and yes that includes women too, are sexual beings. They enjoy their titillation, be it scantily clad vixens or muscular hunks. It's healthy behavior and not a huge deal for the vast majority of people with a shred of common sense. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the militant puritans on both sides of the political spectrum, be it far-left sex-negative feminists or the far-right christian conservatives.

Coming from an outside perspective, the U.S. always had a very stunted relationship with sexuality. I mean, we're talking about a nation that coined the term "Nipplegate". If a non-event like a simple nipple slip rustles your collective jimmies for weeks, I'm not even sure a reason discussion can be had in the first place. The above mentioned "bingo card" is testament to that silliness.

Quite honestly, I'm tired of that new found American neo-puritanism being exported into the rest of the world through the video game industry.

Last edited:
Why do some people care what I play or look at in my free time? Barring the people looking at CP or have genuine rape fantasies, playing Xenoblade 2 or DOA and getting a kick out of the characters is completely harmless. Any women I know give absolutely zero shits if games have over the top "sexy" characters in them. Any women I know find it amusing as it's usually pretty tongue-in-cheek in how it's done. If you start treating a bare leg or cleavage the same way you'd treat a rape scene, you've lost the plot. I know women that love to show cleavage, women that wear tight pants and women that wear skirts or leggings to show what they work hard for. It's not easy to not eat a whole cake at once, I tried it, it was torture. I don't know any women that get offended when guys look at them outside the blatant creepers. I wear shorts and tank tops in the summer but I don't spend every waking moment at the beach worried that women are thinking about how hot I am (they aren't).

I always hear the argument spouted that women think men will hold them to a higher/unattainable standard because of the characters in games, but that's such a pile of horseshit. I'm overweight, aging, and balding. I sure as shit am not going to expect every woman to be built like a super model. On the flip side, I'm not worried that women expect me to be a seven foot tall super ripped Adonis wearing a speedo around because I'm not insane. Maybe if people would spend less time policing everyone else's thoughts and pastimes and find actual hobbies of their own, they wouldn't be viewed as such a useless, hateful annoyances.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The only thing that needs to be criticized is the lack of sexualized bara men to balance out the ocean of the sexualized female form. Thanks.

CatCouch

The only thing that needs to be criticized is the lack of sexualized bara men to balance out the ocean of the sexualized female form. Thanks.
I want sexy furry men! I really got into Kimahri when I replayed Final Fantasy X a few years ago. I'm genuinely attracted to him. Furry art really opened my mind~

Durask

Maybe if people would spend less time policing everyone else's thoughts and pastimes and find actual hobbies of their own, they wouldn't be viewed as such a useless, hateful annoyances.

As anything that people do, this is also about power pure and simple. By denying someone something you exercise power over them. It feels good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No problem for me.

Sexualized style, art and cherry picking studdly actors and hot actresses has been going on since the first piece of media. Oh, and notice how every romance cover is a hunky buff dude and a sexy lady.

Where's all the steamy action with two average looking overweight people wearing tshirts and sweatpants?

Last edited:

CatCouch

As anything that people do, this is also about power pure and simple. By denying someone something you exercise power over them. It feels good.
That's a really good point. I don't think I thought of this that way until now. I'd like to see this point debated more in the future. Really, what is gained by denying men sexy art of women (or anyone who likes it, really, but men seem to be the targets) ?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it is age old. sexualized and objectified women is something in all art, all media, since the dawn of time. some of the earliest media we have are carvings of curvy naked women. many many stories and folklore, secular and religious, have some kind of objectification in it, for instance the story of Bathsheba, which has inspired numerous works of art over the centuries. many classical statues, considered the most brilliant works ever created by mankind, depict rapes. this is "The Rape of Prosperina" (1622):

220px-The_Rape_of_Proserpina_%28Rome%29.jpg

the other day i was at a friend's birthday party, she was projecting Supergirl on the wall, and we were all watching it. the first thing to happen when she gets to Earth is two truckers attempt to rape her, wtf? this is problem across all media. honestly i don't think games are nearly as bad as movies or tv. videogames have ratings on them, young children can't buy them, or at least it's not as easy as turning on the TV to Law and Order: SVU and seeing someone get raped and murdered. i have no problems w sexualization in games.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I personally don’t care one way or the other but I’d prefer some form of context. Like rpg’s that givemen full bodied armor but then girls get a two piece never made sense to me.

I’ve completely given up on the anime scene, well of course anime girls are gonna have skimpy bras with boobs bigger than their heads. It’s anime.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

There is a discussion to be had, but you lack the capabilities to defend your position so you have to make an excuse.

I personally don’t care one way or the other but I’d prefer some form of context. Like rpg’s that givemen full bodied armor but then girls get a two piece never made sense to me.

I’ve completely given up on the anime scene, well of course anime girls are gonna have skimpy bras with boobs bigger than their heads. It’s anime.

I mean, it isn't like men are any stranger to the lack of body armor as well. Just look at the typical barbarian in RPGs. Big burly men rushing forward with two huge axes wearing nothing but a cloth that covers the lower region.

Fantasy is fantasy. They fight dragons, kill kobolds and utilize magic. Sense doesn't need to exist in such a world, unless it is supposed to be a very "realistic" fantasy setting.

Last edited:

OverIt

I dont understand why Bayonetta is acceptable but Pyra is not. It makes more sense to me that Pyra has weird proportions because she is essentially a manifestation of Addams feelings like a Second Life character, while Bayonetta seems to do sexy poses and has weird proportions for sexyiness sakes.

A.Romero

It is truly a non issue that has been part of human kind since always as #Phonepunk# said. However, it has become a problem now that censorship has begun to be a common thing.

This topic is beaten to dead. Regular people don't really care (as sales have shown) and the only people that get offended are extremists on any side of the spectrum.

Luckily the PC space and mobile are still bastions of freedom and some of that freedom is being used for sexy characters.

OverIt

This thread should be locked.
giphy.gif
It is truly a non issue that has been part of human kind since always as #Phonepunk# said. However, it has become a problem now that censorship has begun to be a common thing.

This topic is beaten to dead. Regular people don't really care (as sales have shown) and the only people that get offended are extremists on any side of the spectrum.

Luckily the PC space and mobile are still bastions of freedom and some of that freedom is being used for sexy characters.

Damn just when i found this thread and ask my question. :p

AndrewRyan

Let's say you have a brilliant woman scientist. Why is it perfectly fine to exploit her mind 5 days a week in a job working 8 hours a day, where she has to be there at the exact times she's told, sitting at a desk that physically harms her body, working with people she probably doesn't like, expected to associate with and laugh at jokes by management, and pretty much made to go to office parities and events?

That's acceptable and respected but let that same woman work as a webcam model where she chooses her own hours working with whomever she wants and isn't mentally exhausted every day and that's degrading?

Why is one socially accepted and the other other demeaning? Why is okay to be paid for ones mind but not their physical attributes? Men are exploited regularly for their physical labor and where they're 'objectified' like modeling but that's no problem, only if it's a woman. Why?

OverIt

Let's say you have a brilliant woman scientist. Why is it perfectly fine to exploit her mind 5 days a week in a job working 8 hours a day, where she has to be there at the exact times she's told, sitting at a desk that physically harms her body, working with people she probably doesn't like, expected to associate with and laugh at jokes by management, and pretty much made to go to office parities and events?

That's acceptable and respected but let that same woman work as a webcam model where she chooses her own hours working with whomever she wants and isn't mentally exhausted every day and that's degrading?

Why is one socially accepted and the other other demeaning? Why is okay to be paid for ones mind but not their physical attributes? Men are exploited regularly for their physical labor and where they're 'objectified' like modeling but that's no problem, only if it's a woman. Why?

It is indeed strange. Almost as if double standards are everywhere. Once you take religion out of the equation, that seems to be very much the case.

I'm not saying all women are bothered, but MOST of them just seem to have a problem.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? i see that you given yourself the authority to speak on behalf of millions of female gamers about how they feel about this.

Everytime i see someone complaining about this subject its always a dude because in his mind he thinks that he is "rescuing" these poor women who cant speak for themselves, while at the same time we see real women talk about how they want more sexy female designs in games and complain when these sexy designs gets censored.

OverIt

Do you have any evidence to back this up? i see that you given yourself the authority to speak on behalf of millions of female gamers about how they feel about this.

Everytime i see someone complaining about this subject its always a dude because in his mind he thinks that he is "rescuing" these poor women who cant speak for themselves, while at the same time we see real women talk about how they want more sexy female designs in games and complain when these sexy designs gets censored.

That said you would get the impression from the women on resetera.

nkarafo

I believe it's mostly jealous girls who are insecure about their looks who have a problem.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned

A possible answer to this question consists of the following two points:

(1) Women in our world learn from an early age that by virtue of being a woman, their ideas, thoughts, and feelings have a special value and meaning. That inherent privilege is reinforced by their daily experiences for their entire lives, and this validation loop has now grown exponentially due to the internet.

(2) Women who have a higher intelligence, but maybe lower physical attractiveness - inflated by the false validation of their feelings the world has given them - view women who use their physical attributes for personal gain in a negative light. Other women, who have generally not been cognizant of using their physical attractiveness for personal gain (although they still undoubtedly have) reinforce and validate the opinions and feelings of the women I described in the first sentence in this point. This creates a sense of righteousness among all the women involved in this feedback loop that defies most logical explanations.

Throw angry, depressed transsexuals and a few vocal sympathetic minorities of the male sex into the mix (and plenty of sheep of all races to reinforce their opinions), and you get 2010-2016 NeoGAF and the current ResetEra.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It's no different than killjoys criticizing violence in horror movies or guilting someone because they deem whatever hobby/entertainment/pastime they enjoy unworthy. So guys like sexy characters? Kaboom, there's always going to be some "women" who shriek a load of insults & claim it's super-bad, or something. Who cares? Just ignore them (developers should as well) because pandering to the people who don't actually enjoy your product is not a very good idea.

The theory whereby making a female character unattractive might suddenly increase sales is simply... batshit crazy. The opposite is most often true (& it works for both genders): some want to be with that character... whilst others imagine themselves as that character. It's basic escapism 1.01 & a load (countless, even) of people want something better than themselves when they're escaping into a fantasy video game or movie setting.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

You obviously haven't been looking hard enough. There are of course a few (and tbh being fed up with SJWs doesn't make you a nazi or whatever else you're going to throw in next - some people are just fed up of being preached at, much like people don't particularly like Jehovah's Witnesses due to their tendency to put their foot in your door and preach at you - hell even fairly hard-core lefty types like me have had enough of them). There are also a considerable number of very very intelligent people here who will engage in any debate from a whole range of angles, covering a wide spectrum of philosophy and politics. You can dismiss it if you like and only hear views from a small spectrum of presuably the social-justice left (aka the creature wearing the left's skin), but you'd be missing out. It's your call, but being challenged on your opinions is incredibly valuable. I for one, now I have more access to that, would never give it up willingly.

Saruhashi

Banned
You're right, the problem here is that the debate seemed to be one sided. It's like everyone seems to be siding with one side and not diving among the others.

I get that it's up to me. I'm fine with sexualized character designs. However, I know there are people who would be bothered with that, hence why I wanted to make this thread a while ago.

As for the last part: why didn't I think of adding that, too? Thanks!

I should definitely make a poll, so hopefully I'm going to set it up now.

On my personal opinion, I don't care about this problem, and I'm fine with sexualized character designs.

Where is the debate though?

On one side you've got "I am fine with sexualized designs" and on the other side you've got "I am not fine with sexualized designs".
OK. So now what? What's the debate?

It's like asking people to debate "do you like hamburgers". Some will, some won't. There's no debate. You either like the thing or you don't.

You've asked "are you fine with sexualized character designs" but realistically the question should be "are sexualized character designs a problem".

I don't see a debate on the problems with sexualized character designs as being all that different from a debate on the problems of alcohol. It's a thing that people can enjoy responsibly but there are people who do not deal with it responsibly and this causes some social harm.

To even begin restricting or outlawing certain character designs you have to establish if these designs are the root of a problem or a contributing factor, the specific problems caused, the scale of those problems and then the contribution of these designs to that problem.

You really need to have all that stuff in place before there is even really a proper debate. Otherwise the debate is "I don't like it" vs "I do like it".

So I like to have a beer with my dinner sometimes. Some people think alcohol is a massive contributing factor to societal problems. Some people even have bad experiences in life where alcohol was a root cause. Where's the debate though?

That's why I say people need to learn to live and let live. If a game contains sexualized characters then there's no valid criticism of that any more than there is criticism of me having a beer with dinner or getting drunk at my friends stag party.

Top Bottom