• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does GTA5 (current gen) look better than Watch Dogs (next gen)?

Persona86

Banned
Ubisoft NPC characters are usually blend and generic looking with flavorless lead characters.

the Character Designs in Ubi games lead character lovers to a loss of interest in their character art direction

this is how i feel about most Ubi games, their characters are so blend
I actually like Watch Dog's lead character, he looks interesting enough as possible for someone who tries to stay out of sight.

Squire

Banned
It has improved Max Payne 3 gameplay in an open world. That alone sounds amazing to me, not to mention everything else I've heard. :D

It has a variation of Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics. Lets not get too excited.
MP3 has terrible level design anyway.

SRTtoZ

Graphically it doesnt even come close to Watch-Dogs. Gameplay/story/character/art wise it blows WD out of the water and thats because Rockstar takes their time and puts the effort into it rather than pumping out game after game like Ubi.

iVvnMwvnY0ZiF.gif

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

ibsL8hhImV1BWO.gif

Persona86

Banned
It has a variation of Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics. Lets not get too excited.
MP3 has terrible level design anyway.

Well they said they made adjustments or something along those lines. Which leads me to believe it's had improvements better suited for open world. It will surely be MILES better than GTAIV, that's for sure.

UrbanRats

I actually like Watch Dog's lead character, he looks interesting enough as possible for someone who tries to stay out of sight.

I already dislike the dude, i have to say.
Vigilante self serious idiot.

Connor was the only character able to dethrone Niko in the my most hated top list, and i have a bad feeling about this one.

Ezio was a funny fellow, lately Ubi has had a lot of annoying imbeciles as protagonists, though (thinking about Jason from Far Cry 3).

Persona86

Banned
looks like a near-future Assassin Creed guy in a baseball cap

Well I'm saying I like him, because he doesn't stand out much.

I already dislike the dude, i have to say.
Vigilante self serious idiot.

Connor was the only character able to dethrone Niko in the my most hated top list, and i have a bad feeling about this one.

Ezio was a funny fellow, lately Ubi has had a lot of annoying imbeciles as protagonists, though (thinking about Jason from Far Cry 3).

Oh haha, I was talking about character design, I'm not sure what to say about his personality yet.

Mlatador

Banned
I think both look great. I've reached a point where - to me, but I think also objectively - the difference in graphic quality is so marginal that only the art direction matters, and that' something much more subjective/dependant on personal preference.

Eh? To my eyes Watch Dogs looks a lot more impressive graphically. Not to mention that we have actually gameplay footage of it. Cutscenes always look better.

Squire

Banned
Graphics are great.
Also the animation is nothing like Altair's and Ezio's.

Look at him run in the demo from the PS4 unveiling.

It is absolutely the running animation from AC. I remember someone saying the animation similarities were because of Ubisoft's middleware.

UrbanRats

Oh haha, I was talking about character design, I'm not sure what to say about his personality yet.
TO be clear, it's just an impression, so far.
It's mostly the latest trailer, it gave me very bad vibes, character-wise.

On the other hand GTAV is taking the more lighthearted approach again, which is good.

Look at him run in the demo from the PS4 unveiling.

It is absolutely the running animation from AC. I remember someone saying the animation similarities were because of Ubisoft's middleware.
They don't look the same to me.
Do you have a gif comparison or something like that? I'm really curious now.

Spongebob

Banned
I think both look great. I've reached a point where - to me, but I think also objectively - the difference in graphic quality is so marginal that only the art direction matters, and that' something much more subjective/dependant on personal preference.
Nope. Technically, Watch_Dogs is head and shoulders above GTA V.

Persona86

Banned
TO be clear, it's just an impression, so far.
It's mostly the latest trailer, it gave me very bad vibes, character-wise.

On the other hand GTAV is taking the more lighthearted approach again, which is good.
Oh yeah I had similar feelings, in the back of my mind, so I get that. :)
(I'm hoping he was having a bad day haha)

And yeah GTAV looks like they got the lighthearted feel perfect!

Noirulus

How can you even make the claim that GTA V looks better than Watch Dogs? Artistically, sure, it's a valid opinion. Technically however, WD blows GTA V out of the water.

Fjordson

Visually? I don't think so. Watch_Dogs has been shown on a high end PC and it looked pretty great.

But as far as what I'm actually more interested in playing? Easily GTA V for sure (though I still feel like I don't know much about WD to be fair).

Komo

Banned
GTA V's graphics are basically GTA IV's with better lighting.
Watch Dogs looks miles ahead of GTA V though.

Squire

Banned
They don't look the same to me.
Do you have a gif comparison or something like that? I'm really curious now.

I don't, no. You know what it's even closer to though? You remember that leaked demo of what was supposed to be Beyond Good & Evil 2? That.

The way Aiden runs, and climbs, and turns corners, and cuts through buildings; it's like it was copy-pasted from that.

I'm not complaining though. Ubi makes running looks cool as hell.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I like the look of them both but after GTA IV i'll take a wait and see approach in regards in V. The thing that has me very interested in Watch Dogs is that the Creative Director apparently always said to the team 'Michael Mann NOT Michael Bay' for the vibe they were going for. That and its rumoured that Reflections are working on the driving for Watch Dogs and considering how much I love Driver San Francisco that's another big plus in my book (if true anyway)

For all we know, Watch_Dogs could be 1/5 as big as GTAV and has been developed for high end PCs and next gen consoles. It stands to reason that it will be better technically.

Does that mean you can't prefer the way GTAV looks so far? No. GTAV's shown a lot more variety in lighting + use of color, and has a more unique art style.

Persona86

Banned
I was pretty impressed by the night time scenes in the GTAV trailers. I think it's good use of colours and lighting which makes a big difference compared to GTAIV.

Watch Dogs looks light years ahead of GTA 5. And besides, GTA 5 probably won't look as good on the consoles as it looks in the trailers.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I think that a problem is that you're deciding which games to play based on how they look in terms of technical aspects. While this isn't a bad way to judge games, it's also important to take other things into account, such as, literally everything else.

Watch_Dogs is more visually appealing to me, it looks like its gameplay is more interesting, and the art style rubs me the right way. No idea how either of them control, as I haven't played them.

zaidic

Banned
Watchdogs never looked like a next gen game to me except for lighting and particle effects. From what we have seen so far even car models in watchdogs look barely any better than gta iv. So I really do not know what all the fuss is about regarding watchdogs' graphics.

On the other hand, I refuse to believe any of the trailers shown by rockstar so far for gtav represent in-game graphics on consoles. All footage is from a PC version.

dreamfall

I don't understand this thread. Does it come down to your personal preference of which looks better? Are you trying to directly compare two open world titles or is there something else?

The art direction in both games seems pretty phenomenal- but how are you comparing them? Graphics? Gameplay you've seen from trailers (if there is any)? Aesthetics of the environments?

It is so arbitrary.

That being said, I'm with you as far as GTA V goes but I like them both?

Top Bottom