• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Microsoft not just end this generation earlier than planned?

kswiston

XB1 is doing alright, but I wish that people would stop quoting the "fastest selling Microsoft console yet!" line. It's as misleading as it was when people were saying the same thing about the 3DS vs NDS. XB1 opened huge, but sales most months in 2014 have been well behind the 360.

Lynn616

Because there has been no such announcements. We do not know what Mojang will do in the future. But if Microsoft wants to act like they've been acting lately, they'll release Minecraft 2 through Microsoft platforms only. Not that I care, but that would be utterly evil for people who like Minecraft and despise the company.

Minecraft 2 will be released on PC, iOS, Android and Xbox One.

Tegernako

Banned
XB1 is doing alright, but I wish that people would stop quoting the "fastest selling Microsoft console yet!" line. It's as misleading as it was when people were saying the same thing about the 3DS vs NDS. XB1 opened huge, but sales most months in 2014 have been well behind the 360.
Do you have any evidence for that? Not saying that you are lying, but I am interested in seeing how they all compare and I was wondering what evidence lead you to that conclusion.

You suggest that because some games reach 1080p on Xbox, that makes it possible in all cases, just harder, which is factually wrong. There are many factors involved, and if the PS4 is pushed to reach that, the Xbox can never reach it at all.

You suggest that the discrepancy is down to more difficult to use hardware, such as the PS3, which is just not the case. They are both using standard PC parts in a custom design. The PS3 did not.

Ok fine, but I was right about what I said about the ps4 and xbone then wasn't it? About specs wise, they have overlapping advantages?

What about people who want the console experience and still play the best version of multiplatform games? Who are you to judge their priorities? Seriously, this argument about PCs needs to die.

I play multiplatform games exclusively on PC, but I still understand people who don't. Multiplatform performance was a huge plus for 360 and is now for PS4. Deal with it.

People who don't browse internet forums and read reviews are not going to buy a console because its somewhat more powerful than another. They're going to buy it to play games with their friends and play the games they want to play.

If they were worried about power, they would get a PC. Why would anyone choose a weaker console over a stronger PC when the PC is very close to a console experience now? The only reason I think of is price.

But their the same price now. So what is different between the two? Power, games, friends, ecosystem. Unless all my friends go over to PS4 along with Halo, I don't care if PS4 or a PC is more powerful. It doesn't have what I want.

So why is the PS4 selling more? Word of mouth between internet fanboys to their non fan boy friends, lower price initially, and the Kinect which no one wanted to pay for.

So Microsoft changes two out of three things. Add in great games and they're doing good.

Lastly, "Deal with it"? Real mature.

Do you have any evidence for that? Not saying that you are lying, but I am interested in seeing how they all compare and I was wondering what evidence lead you to that conclusion.

Yes:

Np6EBoj.png

Credit to Gaffer Guevara:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134770012&postcount=4872

The 360 was also dealing with supply constraints. It's only a matter of time before the X1 falls behind and it's going to fall behind hard.

kswiston

I have NPD sales. Sure that covers only 1 country, but that country accounts for over 50% of total sales for both systems. XB1 in red were months where it beat the 360. However, I think 360 had supply issues in late 2005/early 2006.

Xbox 360
Jan. 2006 ~ 249.0k
Feb. 2006 ~ 161.0k
Mar. 2006 ~ 192.0k
Apr. 2006 ~ 295.4k
May. 2006 ~ 220.9k
Jun. 2006 ~ 277.0k
Jul. 2006 ~ 206.0k
Aug. 2006 ~ 204.0k
Sep. 2006 ~ 259.5k
Oct. 2006 ~ 218.0k
Nov. 2006 ~ 511.0K
Dec. 2006 ~ 1,132.0K

Xbox One
Jan 2014 - 143k
Feb. 2014 ~ 258k
Mar. 2014 ~ 311k
Apr. 2014 ~ 115k
May. 2014 ~ 76k
Jun. 2014 ~ 197k
Jul. 2014~ 131k
Aug. 2014 ~ 160k
Sep. 2014 ~ 284k

Cheech

No, they don't. The Xbone has no advantages over the PS4.

Better online infrastructure.
Better exclusive games (per Metacritic avg)
Better quality controller.
EA Access.
Better voice control.
TV integration.
Much more solid WiFi.

You may not agree with all of these, and some may not be important to you, but it's disingenuous to say there are no advantages.

And I say that as someone who prefers the PS4 overall, because I play mostly third party games so the power difference is more important to me than most. Unlike some, though, I will be the first to admit I am in the VAST minority. 90%+ of the people buying these consoles have no clue about the power difference, and don't care even if they do.

Lynn616

Yes:

Np6EBoj.png

Credit to Gaffer Guevara:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134770012&postcount=4872

The 360 was also dealing with supply constraints. It's only a matter of time before the X1 falls behind and it's going to fall behind hard.

I have NPD sales. Sure that covers only 1 country, but that country accounts for over 50% of total sales for both systems. XB1 in red were months where it beat the 360. However, I think 360 had supply issues in late 2005/early 2006.

Xbox 360
Jan. 2006 ~ 249.0k
Feb. 2006 ~ 161.0k
Mar. 2006 ~ 192.0k
Apr. 2006 ~ 295.4k
May. 2006 ~ 220.9k
Jun. 2006 ~ 277.0k
Jul. 2006 ~ 206.0k
Aug. 2006 ~ 204.0k
Sep. 2006 ~ 259.5k
Oct. 2006 ~ 218.0k
Nov. 2006 ~ 511.0K
Dec. 2006 ~ 1,132.0K

Xbox One
Jan 2014 - 143k
Feb. 2014 ~ 258k
Mar. 2014 ~ 311k
Apr. 2014 ~ 115k
May. 2014 ~ 76k
Jun. 2014 ~ 197k
Jul. 2014~ 131k
Aug. 2014 ~ 160k
Sep. 2014 ~ 284k

Do you have the PS4 numbers?

If they were worried about power, they would get a PC. Why would anyone choose a weaker console over a stronger PC when the PC is very close to a console experience now? The only reason I think of is price.
No they wouldn't! Because they are console gamers.
They play on consoles and most of them are not interested in PC gaming.
It's simply not the same for most of them and they are not interested in it.
They want a console in their living room under the TV, in the kids room...
Simple as that. All the talk about "it's the same / if you are concerned about power you would get a PC" is nonsense.

the xbone's cpu is 1.75 and the Ps4's is 1.6. the xbone's gpu is 853mhz and the Ps4's is 800. the dismemberment of Kinect supposedly adds 10% graphical prowess. and xbone has dx12.

does all that shit mean NOTHING in practice?

the xbone's cpu is 1.75 and the Ps4's is 1.6. the xbone's gpu is 853mhz and the Ps4's is 800. and the dismemberment of Kinect supposedly adds 10% graphical prowess.

Not really if you have a OS with heavy CPU usage (more than the PS4 OS at least).
And GPU-wise.... the PS4 GPU is in a different league.

sam777

Xbox 360
Jan. 2006 ~ 249.0k
Feb. 2006 ~ 161.0k
Mar. 2006 ~ 192.0k
Apr. 2006 ~ 295.4k
May. 2006 ~ 220.9k
Jun. 2006 ~ 277.0k
Jul. 2006 ~ 206.0k
Aug. 2006 ~ 204.0k
Sep. 2006 ~ 259.5k
Oct. 2006 ~ 218.0k
Nov. 2006 ~ 511.0K
Dec. 2006 ~ 1,132.0K

Xbox One
Jan 2014 - 143k
Feb. 2014 ~ 258k
Mar. 2014 ~ 311k
Apr. 2014 ~ 115k
May. 2014 ~ 76k
Jun. 2014 ~ 197k
Jul. 2014~ 131k
Aug. 2014 ~ 160k
Sep. 2014 ~ 284k

Thanks for this info. It looks like this November and December will be really telling for the future of Xbox One.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Better exclusive games (per Metacritic avg)
Better quality controller.
EA Access.
Better voice control.
TV integration.
Much more solid WiFi.

You may not agree with all of these, and some may not be important to you, but it's disingenuous to say there are no advantages.

And I say that as someone who prefers the PS4 overall, because I play mostly third party games so the power difference is more important to me than most. Unlike some, though, I will be the first to admit I am in the VAST minority. 90%+ of the people buying these consoles have no clue about the power difference, and don't care even if they do.
Sorry, I perhaps should have been clearer that I was talking about hardware differences.

the xbone's cpu is 1.75 and the Ps4's is 1.6. the xbone's gpu is 853mhz and the Ps4's is 800. and the dismemberment of Kinect supposedly adds 10% graphical prowess.

Yes, all of that shit means nothing in practice. Looking at clock speeds (GHz) is meaningless. It's like looking at horsepower on a car. At best it has only a loose association with actual performance. In practice because the PS4 has 18 CUs to Xbone's 12, and 32ROPs to Xbone's 16ROPs, the tiny MHz gap is meaningless.

The CPU is a slightly different beast; benchmarks suggest that even with the MHz advantage, the Xbone's CPU is still behind the PS4's suggesting that either the Xbone has an overhead that's larger than the PS4's, or Sony made more modifications to the PS4's CPU than they care to admit.

The Xbone has zero performance advantages over the PS4, either on paper or in real-world performance.

Tegernako

Banned
Isn't the Xbox One's CPU slightly stronger?

*edit nevermind, you finally posted something to back up what you said for once.

Why would you post a rather factual statement and then screw it up with something that you couldn't possibly prove?

I have NPD sales. Sure that covers only 1 country, but that country accounts for over 50% of total sales for both systems. XB1 in red were months where it beat the 360. However, I think 360 had supply issues in late 2005/early 2006. ]
I appreciate that, interesting stats.

Just out of curiosity because I don't remember were people advocating Sony push the reset button this early on last gen?

I was never here during the xbox 360/ps3 era so i don't know but it's common here to hear that Sony had it just as bad at it's earlier stages no idea if there was "Why does Sony not just end this generation earlier than planned?" threads back then though lol

Lynn616

Sorry, I perhaps should have been clearer that I was talking about hardware differences.

Yes, all of that shit means nothing in practice. Looking at clock speeds (GHz) is meaningless. It's like looking at horsepower on a car. At best it has only a loose association with actual performance. In practice because the PS4 has 18 CUs to Xbone's 12, and 32ROPs to Xbone's 16ROPs, the tiny MHz gap is meaningless.

The CPU is a slightly different beast; benchmarks suggest that even with the MHz advantage, the Xbone's CPU is still behind the PS4's suggesting that either the Xbone has an overhead that's larger than the PS4's, or Sony made more modifications to the PS4's CPU than they care to admit.

The Xbone has zero performance advantages over the PS4, either on paper or in real-world performance.

Where are the benchmarks?

Tegernako

Banned
I was never here during the xbox 360/ps3 era so i don't know but it's common here to hear that Sony had it just as bad at it's earlier stages no idea if there was "Why does Sony not just end this generation earlier than planned?" threads back then though lol
Sony didn't just have it bad with the PS3, they had it FAAAAR worse then the XB1.

XB1 managed to turn things around in less then a year, PS3 suffered for about two years before Sony did something about it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
EA Access.

Out of the ones listed these are the ones that could potentially sway consumers. Some people are praising Microsoft (well, Phil really) for putting in the leg work but I don't see it. I only see them reversing bad decisions and trying to catch up with Sony. For all their efforts they still haven't caught up.

I'd like them to actually invest in the medium. The best thing they did last generation is something they've been completly stagnant in this generation. Monetization. Xbox Live now offers less bang for your buck compared to what Microsoft gets out of it. F2P is still behind a pay-wall. None of the mobile knowledge Microsoft has learned has translated well into gaming. Forza 5 and Ryse are pathetic attempts at this. If they had mastered monentization they could have settled for a smaller userbase and made more money.

I don't think there's a vision left in Microsoft where to take their console venture. They're not talentless, they're just not properly motivated. They don't have any incentive. The battle for the living room was lost the second the living room was abandoned for smartphone, pads and social media. They need to figure out what their machine wants to be before releasing one because they're sure as hell not interesting in the medium at the moment.

Noobcraft

So no you dont have any evidence at all?
There isn't anything concrete. Just things like "Bink video decoding is equal on both using the CPU" but there isn't anything definitive. On paper the Xbox one CPU is faster. In practice there isn't any credible information that proves or disproves that. (The difference would be pretty minimal anyways. The Xbox one has a much better thermal profile than the ps4 though so that could make a difference)
I use common sense. You don't.
Microsoft did (way) more with the 360 os last gen while using less RAM than the ps3 one at the end of it's lifetime. Software and OS design wise Sony isn't anywhere near Microsoft's league. That said if CPU benchmarks suggest performance parity between the ps4 and xb1 that is still impressive for the xb1 where it does way more with the os. (App snapping in particular)

Aroll

OP and folks who agree with him/her, let's look at this using the OP's own logic to defeat it:

Popular UK Money program looks at Sony and sees it going practically out of business in 5 years if it doesn't have a major turnaround. That means the PS4 itself could potentially be threatened in 5 years time. Remember, like the last generation, the plan was for this one to last awhile. 7, 8... maybe 9 years. That still includes 5 years from now.

Of course, we all know that the PS4 isn't going to vanish - worst case scenario would be that it would need to get sold off to someone else for Sony to save face or pay off debts. Again, this is absolute worst case. According to Sony, the PS4 is profitable, so chances are that hte PS4 would be one of the last things they sell off - but if it's as bad as folks say it is, they might not have a choice. THat's fine and dandy.

The thing is, the Xbox One isn't selling poorly. They are second fiddle to the PS4, naturally no one wants to be that way. A large reason Nintendo stopped competing in the exact same power struggle field for home consoles was BECAUSE it was too hard to try and make it all work in 3rd... even 2nd, place. Still, this generation just feels different.

Fans are interpreting record breaking sales of the PS4 as the Xbox One is doomed. This would be like Burger King deciding to call it quits because it's not as popular as Mcdonalds. Burger King is still fairly popular, even if it's not #1.

Xbox One is actually selling pretty well. I am unsure if this still holds true right now, but a few months back it was STILL trending AHEAD of the Xbox 360 in the same time period. The 360 era was considered a big success, so I would assume trending ahead of that = Microsoft is pretty happy about it.

I think the Xbox One brand is overstated as a toxic brand. Sure, among tight nit gaming communities like here it may be a bit stained, but to the general public? Most aren't even aware of what happened in 2013 before launch because they don't pay attention. The Xbox One is simply the new Xbox. Releasing a new console with beefier specs isn't going to fix their issues - inf act, it would alienate the existing Xbox One crowd and create a PR nightmare.

After the Xbox One, it's obvious they don't want anymore negative PR. This is like when folks said the Wii U should be canned and NIntendo releases a beefier system - it would really hurt their image worse than riding out the Wii U. Even then, if you look at it, Nintendo has ALWAYS stuck to a 5 to 6 year console cycle. The Wii was 6, chances are the Wii U will be a 5 year. That puts a new console in our living rooms in 2017, while Xbox One and PS4 may be pushing that to 2020.

Anyways, the point here is that Microsoft is best to ride it out, and the system isn't tanking like fans think it is. Not selling as well as the best selling first year system in the history of home consoles doesn't make it a failure. That's like saying the Xbox 360 and PS3 were failures last generation because they couldn't keep up with the Wii. It's simply not true.

Right now, it's about making the Xbox One profitable and continue it's fairly solid sales. PS4 sales may slow down eventually, or they may not, but all Xbox One can worry about is maintaining current sales. Even if they don't increase, they are on pace for some really good numbers in 6 years.

kswiston

Thanks.

PS4 won last Christmas big too?

XB1 beat PS4 in December (in the US) by a small margin, but PS4 was experiencing a lot of sell outs. It sold what Sony shipped. Launch period is never really a good indicator of future sales between the early adapter rush and fairly common supply issues.

Cole Slaw

Banned
I still can't believe that PS4 with Second Son outsold XO with Titanfall. Like, that to me still defies more logic than Pachter's reasoning for his Sept NPD estimate. That was the true miracle.

kswiston

Just for fun, here is 2002 for the OG Xbox in the US:

Jan. 2002 128k
Feb. 2002 139k
Mar. 2002 136k
April 2002 78k
May 2002 229k
Jun. 2002 265k
July 2002 154k
Aug. 2002 137k
Sep. 2002 173k
Oct. 2002 239k
Nov. 2002 468k
Dec. 2002 1,033k

OG Xbox sold 1.439M from Jan-Sep 2002.

XB1 sold 1.675M from Jan-Sep 2014

nateeasy

Banned
Hey you know how you have this hugely successful product?

Yeah.

How bout you just call it quits?

Uhhh...no.

But but the internet is outraged.

Cole Slaw

Banned
Just for fun, here is 2002 for the OG Xbox in the US:

Jan. 2002 128k
Feb. 2002 139k
Mar. 2002 136k
April 2002 78k
May 2002 229k
Jun. 2002 265k
July 2002 154k
Aug. 2002 137k
Sep. 2002 173k
Oct. 2002 239k
Nov. 2002 468k
Dec. 2002 1,033k

OG Xbox sold 1.439M from Jan-Sep 2002.

XB1 sold 1.675M from Jan-Sep 2014

Wow, that was a huge Dec. for OG Xbox. I hope PS4 can get to 1,033k this Dec.

Sydle

I don't think Microsoft is looking at continuing the traditional console cycle. They've been playing for over a decade and it's only ever been a sliver of revenue compared to their other businesses. And it's not like Nintendo or Sony have exemplary models illustrating a path to making gaming work for MS as a large revenue stream within their overall business. Meanwhile, mobile gaming and PC gaming continue to grow in revenue.

I believe Microsoft will ride out this generation for 5 years, making significant investments to gradually shift the perception of the Xbox brand to a virtual platform for gaming across multiple screens. We'll see more games as a service, incentives for a Xbox Live subscription and digital store purchases, and cross-platform benefits. A virtual platform aligns with Nadella's vision of mobile-first -- experiences that go with users where ever they are, no matter their device.

Making a virtual platform work requires killer exclusives, which is why I think Phil Spencer continues to repeat that his priority is growing IP and exclusives.

So what happens to the hardware? I think Microsoft will continue making a Xbox console, but it's going to be similar to the Lumia or Surface in that it's a showcase device for their OS and services for its respective screen format.

Personally, I hope Microsoft uses its warchest to make the proprietary game console a thing of the past. I don't want to buy multiple consoles to put under my TV, I hate it. I just want to play great games and it would be lovely if I could just buy one device for the living to do it all.

Hey while were telling Microsoft to call it quits, can someone please ring up these companies as well and tell them to stop?

- Pepsi
- Second Cup
- Burger King
- The Toronto Maple Leafs
- Duracell
- Apple iPhone

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If you ask me, we've lost a lot more creativity and innovation due to the limits of Sony just building a "faster PS3" than folks on the PS4 side have lost due to the slower GPU on Xbox One.

What? Please explain this one. Are you just talking Kinect here or some greater picture?

Canucked

Abandon a console selling millions because it's not number one in under a year?

Please no. I've loved every second-best-selling system of every generation.

And it's not even a year yet.

Top Bottom