• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does no one in Ace Attorney get married

Wait? Didn't they heavily hint that there was a thing between Phoenix and Maya at the end of one of the AA games? What the heck is this Phoenix x Iris stuff?!?!

Maya and Phoenix were always strong platonic friends, their relationship was always clearly platonic to me. Plus, she's y'know his dead mentor's sister.

You should play Trials and Tribulations for that last question.

It's anime, literally no one has sex in Ace Attorney's universe.

Children come about through magic or storks or bamboo or something.

Stopdoor

Phoenix and Maya were still hanging out in that 7-year interim, though.

Were they though? I thought at most it was confirmed they sent letters, and he seemed surprised to see how she'd changed in AA6, with her even commenting how she's older and all and it's been a long time and all that.

R.D.Blax

Phoenix is probably afraid of being killed off if he ever get married since it looks like it's impossible for a child to have two parents alive in this series. Maya probably swore celibacy after seeing how all couple in Kurain ended. Edgeworth just don't give a fuck. And Larry is forever alone.

As for the other, Gumshoe and Maggey are totally a thing, that why they don't appear anymore, they will just get killed off.
And Franziska is married to Adrian obviously

FluxWaveZ

Were they though? I thought at most it was confirmed they sent letters, and he seemed surprised to see how she'd changed in AA6, with her even commenting how she's older and all and it's been a long time and all that.

Yeah, this was basically confirmed. If not for mentions of as much in AA6, there are references in AA4 (
she's the one who brought Phoenix the Steel Samurai DVD stacks when he was in the hospital
) or cameos in the AAI games with Phoenix and Maya hanging out in the background.

The only time she was away from immediate contact with Phoenix was during her 2-year Khura'in training.

Zalman

In my headcanon Phoenix still isn't over what happened in AA3 which is why he is still single. Miles loves his job too much. Larry will never change. Ema and Maya, I don't know.

Gumshoe and Maggey is hopefully a thing.

Stopdoor

Yeah, this was basically confirmed. If not for mentions of as much in AA6, there are references in AA4 (
she's the one who brought Phoenix the Steel Samurai DVD stacks when he was in the hospital
) or cameos in the AAI games with Phoenix and Maya hanging out in the background.

The only time she was away from immediate contact with Phoenix was during her 2-year Khura'in training.

I assumed those were mailed.

For AA4:
What's the timeline on AAI related to AA3 and his 'disbarment'? It might be true but it might just be a light cameo.

R.D.Blax

That's because of the 2 years of training, not the 7 years before that.

FluxWaveZ

For AA4:
What's the timeline on AAI related to AA3 and his 'disbarment'? It might be true but it might just be a light cameo.

That might be possible, but I'd have to go back and make a collection of screencaps to see. I definitely don't think the implication has been that he hasn't seen her for 7 years, however. Why would that even make sense when she's been right there in Kurain the whole time?

I'm not sure on the timeline of the latter. AAI takes place after AA3, I believe, but likely before Phoenix's downfall.

Lynx_7

Japanese writers for boys/teenagers, young-adult oriented series in general don't seem to be that good at actually tackling relationships. You see it a lot with most shonens having a couple shipteases here and there but nothing actually happens until the time skip at the last chapter of the series (or at the middle-point with Dragon Ball I guess). Even stuff supposedly focused on romance for male audiences consist of 99% shipteasing, harems, fanservice, comedy and some semblance of things happening at the very end, and even then it's rare that you get to actually see said characters as a couple for more than a few minutes. They don't seem nearly as keen into including these sorts of elements in their stories as the west is, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes not. There may be some selective bias because of the sample of anime I watched and games I've played, and there are obviously exceptions to the rule, but most recent stuff seems to play out like I've described.
Considering how many men in Japan nowadays have never even dated I think it's become sort of a cultural thing?

If certain events didn't happen I could see *AA3* spoilers
Mia & Diego eventually getting married. Fuck that bitch Dahlia I blame her for everything. Sure Mia could have still been killed, but fuck it would have been less likely with Diego around

For AA4:
Ace attorney investigations takes place long before the disbarment. Investigations 2 goes up to a couple weeks before Phoenix gets disbarred.

Stopdoor

If certain events didn't happen I could see *AA3* spoilers
Mia & Diego eventually getting married. Fuck that bitch Dahlia I blame her for everything. Sure Mia could have still been killed, but fuck it would have been less likely with Diego around

I think this was definitely heavily implied, though
I feel like Mia is a special case in general, considering she's uniquely the only major protagonist to be murdered.

Maya and Phoenix were always strong platonic friends, their relationship was always clearly platonic to me. Plus, she's y'know his dead mentor's sister.

You should play Trials and Tribulations for that last question.

I dunno this post of all these collected quotes and sections from the many games make it seem more than platonic to me. I'd definitely be grossed out if a brother/sister relationship was like this.

http://askaceattorney.tumblr.com/post/36922493349/dear-followers-there-has-been-a-lot-of-demand

Plus what's wrong with dating your mentor's sister? The mentor isn't remotely related to him. It'd be like dating your boss's sister or daughter, which might get you fired if you do them wrong, but I don't see how it's gross or anything.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno this post of all these collected quotes and sections from the many games make it seem more than platonic to me. I'd definitely be grossed out if a brother/sister relationship was like this.

http://askaceattorney.tumblr.com/post/36922493349/dear-followers-there-has-been-a-lot-of-demand

Plus what's wrong with dating your mentor's sister? The mentor isn't remotely related to him.

The fact that someone put together a 7,000-word piece to explore Phoenix and Maya's relationship says it all, really.

PK Gaming

Plus what's wrong with dating your mentor's sister? The mentor isn't remotely related to him. It'd be like dating your boss's sister or daughter, which might get you fired if you do them wrong, but I don't see how it's gross or anything.

tumblr_mebequAaAa1qkpnrw.jpg

Holy shit. Nick slapped someone.

Ah man, the days when he actually had a backbone

EDIT: Then again, slapping a woman is definitely going too far, lol.

SMD

Mia totally has a thing for Phoenix. Maya is going to train up to permanently channel Mia and put the moves on him.

See, in Phoenix's case I could see them easily working in a small joke on how being a 35 year old man with a 17 year old daughter has made relationship building more than a little difficult for him. As for the rest, its honestly not that hard to figure out reasons for most of them, most of which in turn would be being too career minded to really think about it.

Also, I feel Ace Attorney 6 has actually kind of moved away from the "eternally young, genki sidekick" trope, which is pretty great.

Agreed. I do absolutely love seeing these characters grow old. It's probably the only series I have played where I experienced where VIP characters have grown older. Every time I boot up a new Ace Attorney game, the first thing going through my mind is, "Well, what type of non-sense are we going to run into this time Wright?" I cannot say that for any franchise out there.
Well... maybe outside of my Pokemon team I've had since Sinnoh.

But.... what does that make Judgie then? H-he has never aged....is he immortal?

It's a bit different when death is added into the equation. Such a circumstance can make a relationship appear like one side is taking advantage of the other. That's why it's weird and why I don't lean towards the romantic interest so much as a very, very tight platonic relationship that is essentially familial. Though, if the romance were pursued, Maya is still capable of channeling if I'm not mistaken so it's less odd because it means Mia is still a presence in spite of being dead.

So, that's why I don't really place them romantically, even if they could develop romantically in the future. (I probably would not mind if they got married sometime in AA4 and onward)

Stopdoor

That guy must have been frothing at the mouth for all their subtle banter in AA6.

Opa-Pa

There are many reasons already listed, but I firmly believe one of the main ones is to not piss off shippers lol, I imagine AA makes a lot of money out of yaoi bait or whatever you want to call it. Which makes Edgeworth's random remarks in AA6's DLC kinda ironic.

But yeah most of the main characters are pretty busy with their lives already too, though it'd be cool if they brought Iris back or something at some point. I'd say leaving their romantic lives largely unexplored is fair weirder than them not getting married.

And this is a bit off topic but I saw people saying we're finally free from the stupid young female assistant trope and I... Don't think so? Athena is playable sure, but she's largely an assistant character too and she's yet another young prodigy for seemingly no reason... Remember she's 18 in AA5. And there's Rayfa too who's 15 and "helps" you in a couple of investigations in AA6, sigh.

PK Gaming

There are many reasons already listed, but I firmly believe one of the main ones is to not piss off shippers lol, I imagine AA makes a lot of money out of yaoi bait or whatever you want to call it. Which makes Edgeworth's random remarks in AA6's DLC kinda ironic.

But yeah most of the main characters are pretty busy with their lives already too, though it'd be cool if they brought Iris back or something at some point. I'd say leaving their romantic lives largely unexplored is fair weirder than them not getting married.

And this is a bit off topic but I saw people saying we're finally free from the stupid young female assistant trope and I... Don't think so? Athena is playable sure, but she's largely an assistant character too and she's yet another young prodigy for seemingly no reason. Remember she's 18 in AA5, sigh.

I don't think they care about pandering to shippers. Otherwise they would have thrown more overt ship bait lines without committing to it, but there's really none of that in AA6. Pretty much all of the interactions between the characters are really platonic.

And this thread is an Athena bully-free zone. Do not bully.

Opa-Pa

I mean most people who are into that consider even rivalries between males "bait", I meant that they don't want to piss them off while also not committing to them if that makes sense.

And I love Athena! I just wish she was in her 20's because the series' need to have overly young female characters is getting creepy and it serves no purpose.

isn't phoenix a millenial?

Why would he get married lol.

zeemumu

So if ghosts are apparently valid testimony, why didn't Maya channel Mia to clear her name. Did Mia just not know who killed her? Why not do that for all of the murders?

So if ghosts are apparently valid testimony, why didn't Maya channel Mia to clear her name. Did Mia just not know who killed her? Why not do that for all of the murders?

I would assume the reason for this is because it sure worked out well for them during the DL-6 incident.

Top Bottom