• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Xbox One X think it's special?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Problem Solved:

I swapped the cable that was connected to the PS4 Pro with the one that was connected to the Xbox One X. Both cables are the same model, so I don't know what the issue was; the cable that didn't work with the Xbox One X works just fine with the PS4 Pro (it's outputting 4K-HDR from the Pro).

---------------------------------------

I recently bought a TCL 55R635 because it has better picture quality than my TCL 55R617 and has features that accommodate gaming, such as Variable Refresh Rate, Auto Low Latency Mode, and a refresh rate of 120Hz with or without HDR (though only up to 1440p, which I don't mind). Hence, I've connected all of my machines to it, namely my 4K Blu-ray player, my PC, my PlayStation 4 Pro, and my Xbox One X. However, whereas all of the other machines have connected to the new TV just fine, the Xbox One X refuses to recognize that the TV supports 4K; I had this issue with my 55R617 and recall that the only way I was able to get the Xbox One X to output 4K was to use the HDMI cable that was included in its packaging. I'm pretty sure that if I were to use that specific HDMI cable, this problem would be rectified, but my new TV is positioned further away from the console than my other TV (which I still have and is still where it's been since I bought it); in fact, I actually bought new, twelve-feet HDMI cables in order to connect the console (as well as my 4K Blu-ray Player and PS4 Pro) to the new TV so that I wouldn't have to reposition anything (my PC is directly underneath the TV, so I have it connected via one of my old, six-feet cables). So, in order for me to use the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One X, I'd have to move the console to my desk, where the new TV is, because that cable isn't long enough.

Hence, I ask the following: Why does the Xbox One X think that it's so special that it can refuse to use any HDMI cable other than the one that came with it? The new cables that I bought are very durable, well-built 18Gbps cables and they work just fine with my other machines, yet only my Xbox One X is giving me problems.

Pictures:

My Xbox One X is inside of the blue cabinet, along with my PS4 Pro; the new TV is the one on the right, further away from the cabinet.

NkJaNJ5.jpg

Old picture taken before I got the new TV showing my Xbox One X inside of the blue cabinet, along with the PS4 Pro.

78Eumw2.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldn’t have a thing to do with the cable. With my TCL in the bedroom it was an issue with the TV. My OLED had no problems at all and I don’t use the supplied HDMI cable.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Shouldn’t have a thing to do with the cable. With my TCL in the bedroom it was an issue with the TV. My OLED had no problems at all and I don’t use the supplied HDMI cable.
What was your solution? Also, if it's not an issue with the cable, then why does it output 4K only with the cable that it came with?

Gamerguy84

Is your cable an older HDMI? The cable included should be higher bandwidth.

HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0

Last edited:

bargeparty

I recently bought a TCL 55R635 because it has better picture quality than my TCL 55R617 and has features that accommodate gaming, such as Variable Refresh Rate, Auto Low Latency Mode, and a refresh rate of 120Hz with or without HDR (though only up to 1440p, which I don't mind). Hence, I've connected all of my machines to it, namely my 4K Blu-ray player, my PC, my PlayStation 4 Pro, and my Xbox One X. However, whereas all of the other machines have connected to the new TV just fine, the Xbox One X refuses to recognize that the TV supports 4K; I had this issue with my 55R617 and recall that the only way I was able to get the Xbox One X to output 4K was to use the HDMI cable that was included in its packaging. I'm pretty sure that if I were to use that specific HDMI cable, this problem would be rectified, but my new TV is positioned further away from the console than my other TV (which I still have and is still where it's been since I bought it); in fact, I actually bought new, twelve-feet HDMI cables in order to connect the console (as well as my 4K Blu-ray Player and PS4 Pro) to the new TV so that I wouldn't have to reposition anything (my PC is directly underneath the TV, so I have it connected via one of my old, six-feet cables). So, in order for me to use the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One X, I'd have to move the console to my desk, where the new TV is, because that cable isn't long enough.

Hence, I ask the following: Why does the Xbox One X think that it's so special that it can refuse to use any HDMI cable other than the one that came with it? The new cables that I bought are very durable, well-built 18Gbps cables and they work just fine with my other machines, yet only my Xbox One X is giving me problems.

I'm going off memory here but I don't think the cables you bought are good enough. You should always buy HDMI Certified Premium, especially when talking about 4K, HDR, blah blah.

Something like:

They come with a little sticker you can use to verify authenticity with a phone app as well

Last edited:
Is your cable an older HDMI? The cable included should be higher bandwidth.

HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0
Even then, I had to cycle through about 5 "high bandwidth/premium" HDMI 2.0 cables before I was able to get both my PS4 PRO and PC to output at 4K... and the thing is that is I swap the cables both machines have signal problems (no image on PC and temporary loss of signal on PS4 PRO).

4K HDR is pretty hard to "get right", a "good" cable may not work on all devices :messenger_face_steam:.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue, it needs to be high speed HDMi cable 18GBps or something, my projector is sensitive to these handshake issues too, I was lucky I could find A 10m cable for cheap that works, in the long term you might want to invest in a A/V receiver. Make sure it has the same HDMI standard as the Tv (2.1)

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm going off memory here but I don't think the cables you bought are good enough. You should always buy HDMI Certified Premium, especially when talking about 4K, HDR, blah blah.

Something like:

They come with a little sticker you can use to verify authenticity with a phone app as well
Even then, I had to cycle through about 5 "high bandwidth/premium" HDMI 2.0 cables before I was able to get both my PS4 PRO and PC to output at 4K... and the thing is that is I swap the cables both machines have signal problems (no image on PC and temporary loss of signal on PS4 PRO).

4K HDR is pretty hard to "get right", a "good" cable may not work on all devices :messenger_face_steam:.
Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue, it needs to be high speed HDMi cable 18GBps or something, my projector is sensitive to these handshake issues too, I was lucky I could find A 10m cable for cheap that works, in the long term you might want to invest in a A/V receiver. Make sure it has the same HDMI standard as the Tv (2.1)

The cable that I'm using is an HDMI 2.0 cable. Link

Trimesh

Banned

The cable is entirely passive - it's not like an Apple lightning cable with a security chip in it, it's just plugs and wires. I've used multiple cables with my OneX and never found one that didn't work. Having said that, I try to use < 2m cables for HDMI on general principles.

Gamerguy84

I had the same problem. I tried different ports and settings with no luck. I finally tried a new cable and havent had problems since. The new one was a 9ft. cable.

Weird issue sometimes.

bargeparty

The cable that I'm using is an HDMI 2.0 cable. Link

Doesn't matter cause it's not certified. We're past the days of "all cables are the same." Buy the right cables and if you have problems with multiple cables (cause one could be bad) then there's something else at play.

xStoyax

Banned
Be careful with titles like that, the mods around here are getting as bad as Era about deleting posts & locking shit if you offend their plastic

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Doesn't matter cause it's not certified. We're past the days of "all cables are the same." Buy the right cables and if you have problems with multiple cables (cause one could be bad) then there's something else at play.
I don't think that certification is necessary. Why does the cable work fine with my other machines?

FunkMiller

Because it’s drunk, and should have gone home at least an hour ago.

DO YOU HEAR ME, XBOX ONE X? YOU’RE NOT SPECIAL JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN BALANCE THAT MANY DORITOS ON YOUR CHIN. GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN!

TheShocker

Post a picture of your Xbox video settings. Is the “allow 4k” check box marked? What about yrc 422? Depending on the cable/tv, you might have to check that to allow a proper 4k signal. Lastly did you verify that all the hdmi ports on your tv allow a 4k signal? On my Samsung I have to turn signal input plus on in the tv settings to allow full 4k HDR signals. I’ve had TCL products in the past and had issues with connectivity. It’s likely your tv or cable causing the problem.

MrS

Banned
You were advised to buy LG OLED. Only got yourself to blame for buying a weak ass TCL product.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Post a picture of your Xbox video settings. Is the “allow 4k” check box marked? What about yrc 422? Depending on the cable/tv, you might have to check that to allow a proper 4k signal. Lastly did you verify that all the hdmi ports on your tv allow a 4k signal? On my Samsung I have to turn signal input plus on in the tv settings to allow full 4k HDR signals. I’ve had TCL products in the past and had issues with connectivity. It’s likely your tv or cable causing the problem.

When I check the "Allow 4K" box, the Xbox displays a message stating, "Sorry, your TV is telling us it won't support that resolution."

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You were advised to buy LG OLED. Only got yourself to blame for buying a weak ass TCL product.
LOL, the TCL isn't the problem; the problem is the stuck up Xbox. I still have my LG 43UH6500, which was where my new TV is; I'll connect the Xbox to it with the non-Microsoft cable to see if the problem persists.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The HDMI that came with my X was fine. Never had an issue.

The HDMI that came with my 4k cable bx had issues with green pixelation every minute or two.

Bought a 4k double pack of HDMI cords from Costco and all issues went away on the cable box. Decided to match the X hook up with the other Costco cable and never had a problem.

Buy good quality cables and no issue. Rely on cheap ones and get issues.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Same TV and console, no issue. If it works with one cable and not others, just get some better cables.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This might have something to do with why I can't get 4K when I stream my Xbox One X to my PC connected to my 4K HDTV it goes down to 1080p no matter what I do.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure the Xbox One X doesn't think your crappy tv and HDMI cable are special either.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Problem Solved:

I swapped the cable that was connected to the PS4 Pro with the one that was connected to the Xbox One X. Both cables are the same model, so I don't know what the issue was; the cable that didn't work with the Xbox One X works just fine with the PS4 Pro (it's outputting 4K-HDR from the Pro).

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Wha?

Have you ensured your TV and XBone is FULLY updated?

The HDMI that came with my X was fine. Never had an issue.

The HDMI that came with my 4k cable bx had issues with green pixelation every minute or two.

Bought a 4k double pack of HDMI cords from Costco and all issues went away on the cable box. Decided to match the X hook up with the other Costco cable and never had a problem.

Buy good quality cables and no issue. Rely on cheap ones and get issues.
Same TV and console, no issue. If it works with one cable and not others, just get some better cables.
This might have something to do with why I can't get 4K when I stream my Xbox One X to my PC connected to my 4K HDTV it goes down to 1080p no matter what I do.
Check your frame rate as well

But yeah, probably something with your cables

I'd go for an HDMI 2.1 instead of the 2.0
Pretty sure the Xbox One X doesn't think your crappy tv and HDMI cable are special either.
Is 4k UHD enabled on that HDMI port on your TV?? Every TV ive ever owned that supported 4K i had to turn it on.

Problem Solved:

Kuranghi

Maybe try turning off CEC (Or whatever TCL calls that on their sets)? Sometimes that helps, but then it won't auto-switch to the HDMI port when you start the Xbox.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Be careful with titles like that, the mods around here are getting as bad as Era about deleting posts & locking shit if you offend their plastic

Nah. Pre era you got perm ban for not having Playstation as preferred console. It's much better now. Just don't troll or be too fanboy.

Top Bottom