• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't anybody care about Tearaway?

Bought it on Vita after all the good impressions here. Discovered it was a gimmick game where the gimmick involved the dumbest "feature" of the Vita, the rear touch. No interest in a PS4 version.

PaulloDEC

Bought it on Vita after all the good impressions here. Discovered it was a gimmick game where the gimmick involved the dumbest "feature" of the Vita, the rear touch. No interest in a PS4 version.

I'm struggling with a couple of things here. Firstly, you realise the game uses way more than just the rear touch, right?
Also the rear touch works great, you're crazy.

And secondly, you complain that you didn't like the Vita version because it uses the rear touch, and yet you're not interested in the PS4 version either, despite it not having a rear touch to use?

I'm struggling with a couple of things here. Firstly, you realise the game uses way more than just the rear touch, right?

And secondly, you complain that you didn't like the Vita version because it uses the rear touch, and yet you're not interested in the PS4 version either, despite it not having a rear touch to use?
I'll try to help.

I never implied the game only uses rear touch, but it was clear that it was going to be a major part of the game and I think the rear touch is about the dumbest idea and worst control mechanism in handhelds. After playing for a while, it was clear the much of the gameplay revolved around trying to fascinate me with the input methods. I wasn't fascinated, there was no magic there for me and the underlying game was boring.

Now the game was coming out for the PS4. I wasn't suddenly going to be fascinated by a similar game using a controller with a bad touch pad and a light bar.
I don't like the gameplay and I'm not pulled in by control gimmicks. So, I didn't care about the game, to answer the question of the op.

Tingle

I dunno, I downloaded LBP Vita, and found the rear touch gimmick way too hard to use. I would practically have to stand still every time the game wanted me to do it. LBP basically encouraged me to drop that game, and avoid every game which uses the rear touch pad like the plague.

I only found it useful as additional buttons for classic games, because you don't really need to try to feel around like LBP expected you to do.

Personally I think the ps4 re-release was priced too high for a game that bombed hard on vita. I bought it day 1 on vita and loved it, but the ps4 version is just priced too damn high.

PaulloDEC

I'll try to help.

I never implied the game only uses rear touch, but it was clear that it was going to be a major part of the game and I think the rear touch is about the dumbest idea and worst control mechanism in handhelds. After playing for a while, it was clear the much of the gameplay revolved around trying to fascinate me with the input methods. I wasn't fascinated, there was no magic there for me and the underlying game was boring.

Now the game was coming out for the PS4. I wasn't suddenly going to be fascinated by a similar game using a controller with a bad touch pad and a light bar.
I don't like the gameplay and I'm not pulled in by control gimmicks. So, I didn't care about the game, to answer the question of the op.

Gotcha. From your initial post it seemed like your main issue was with rear touch, but if you're against the whole "use all the inputs" thing across the board then the game definitely isn't going to impress.

I dunno, I downloaded LBP Vita, and found the rear touch gimmick way too hard to use. I would practically have to stand still every time the game wanted me to do it. LBP basically encouraged me to drop that game, and avoid every game which uses the rear touch pad like the plague.

I only found it useful as additional buttons for classic games, because you don't really need to try to feel around like LBP expected you to do.

I'm with you re: LBP Vita, I always found it tricky to hit the right spots. Tearaway improved on that a bunch by having accuracy only be important when you can clearly see "your" fingers right up there on the screen.

Personally I think the ps4 re-release was priced too high for a game that bombed hard on vita. I bought it day 1 on vita and loved it, but the ps4 version is just priced too damn high.
It's on sale for $20 right now. But yeah, I have to agree with you on its release price. Aside from the Master Chief and Uncharted Collections I think remasters in general should be priced no higher than $30.

This game doesn't have any kind of level editor. It's not that kind of game either.

You can take pictures with the camera and make skins for your characters right? That's user generated content. I know it doesn't make sense, but it just seems completely stupid to me, and I can't get myself interested.

PaulloDEC

It's on sale for $20 right now. But yeah, I have to agree with you on its release price. Aside from the Master Chief and Uncharted Collections I think remasters in general should be priced no higher than $30.

I think the higher price was justified given how much extra stuff they added. There's entire new sections of the world in Unfolded that weren't in the original, and all of the original stuff has been revised to fit with the new controls.

I think the higher price was justified given how much extra stuff they added. There's entire new sections of the world in Unfolded that weren't in the original, and all of the original stuff has been revised to fit with the new controls.
Ah. Well I never played the original so I wasn't aware of how much was changed :p. Still, MOST remasters should be priced no higher than $30.

Vitacat

Played the demo, not my type of game

Same here. It's not the aesthetic so much, as I still enjoy cute games, but the game just didn't grab me. I can't explain why. Just didn't care enough to want to buy the game. It definitely has some cool ideas.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So you think people aren't buying it because the genre isn't clear enough?
Yeah i think it's probably the biggest problem(but i like the game as is), as you can see from this post for example:

I've been flip-flopping on buying this for PS4 the last few months and came close to pulling the trigger a few times.

I think the biggest problem for me is that I don't really understand what it is. I mean I know its a platformer but I've tried to watch video reviews to understand and I get no clarification.

I know I could just download the demo, but I never feel motivated to do it with all the other games I currently have to play. Maybe I'll pick it up someday if I'm bored.

some don't really know what to expect(and imo that's essential to the enjoyment of the game and story), many think it's just a (bad and simple)platformer but it's not.

Another problem imo is that people think it's a "gimmicky" game, and it's true but those gimmicks are good, well made and essential to the story and gameplay, people can't think of something "gimmicky" being good.
Another problem is that's seen as an artsy game and/or a kids game.

In the end i think it's more a mix of preconceptions and bad advertising than real game faults.

Got the Platinum Trophy on the Vita version when it released. It was okay. That's it really. Okay. Nothing mind-blowing about it.

This was essentially my experience as well. It's charming visually, but as a game it just leans way too hard on cramming in all of the Vita's features.

RooMHM

People who complain about the gameplay miss the point. You dont play Tearaway for the mechanisms, you play it for the art direction, the soundtrack, and those papper puppet shows we used to watch back during childhood.
Then you shouldn t have to "play" tearaway. Make a movie.

I played the original on my Vita, but I can't say it left many impressions on me beyond its art. The gameplay didn't have a lot of substance, and the tone of the game struggled to stay child-friendly, and instead veered into child-ish. It gave the game an unpleasant, patronising feel that I found hard to shake.

I still think it's a decent tech demo for the Vita, but buying the PS4 version did not cross my mind for a second. I don't think dragging Gravity Daze into the conversation is very fair. They are wildly different games, and it is actually getting a bona fide sequel.

danmaku

There's this weird false narrative throughout this thread that people who disliked this game require space marines and/or "pew pew" to enjoy a title and just don't have the temperament for high art like Tearaway.

At least in my case, that's just not true. I don't play many shooters (Splatoon aside) and my GOTY is Ori, and in years past have included Rayman Origins, Transistor, etc.

This was just a poorly executed game that leaned too heavily on its art style and as another poster described it 2005 DS-era gimmicks.

This. The same happens in Journey threads, another game that relies heavily on presentation and of course there's always someone who's not impressed or didn't like it or even hated it. It's normal, but the reaction is always: dead inside, no soul, jaded old man, you deserve CoD ad nauseam. I love Journey, it's one of my favorite games ever, but it's obvious why some people don't like it. I just deal with it.

*sigh*

Absolutely. It's cloying and insincere and insists on stopping you every five minutes to remind you that you're playing A Charming Whimsical Game Made of Magic And Wonder and I couldn't stand it for very long.
Yeah, I have to agree with this too.

Tearaway reminded me of Dexter trying to imitate emotions he doesn't really feel, the whole charming whimsical stuff was far far too hamfisted for its own sake.

The whole thing was almost unsettling in how forced it felt.

syoaran

Tearaway's best moments for me were messing around with the ingame camera. The world and it's friendly NPCs were very interesting and I spent hours taking snaps.

I hate to say it, but the game itself was OK, but not amazing.

Absolutely. It's cloying and insincere and insists on stopping you every five minutes to remind you that you're playing A Charming Whimsical Game Made of Magic And Wonder and I couldn't stand it for very long.

The Rayman series has always had a similar effect on me.

Here is a nicely designed level that you just enjoye- but here is some weird for the sake of being weird shit you have to get through because we can't just make a solid platformer.

Well, for comparison's sake the first LBP was charming but bored me to tears. Bought it used for $2, traded it in a month later to Gamestop with zero regrets. I never got around to the sequel. I ended up buying Puppeteer on sale for $13 almost solely because of the amazing art style. Kinda regretted the purchase but eventually gave it a second chance. The game itself isn't bad, but I've found it much more enjoyable in co-op with my fiance than playing alone. Certainly not "OMG" good by any stretch, but I found it more fun than LBP.

From my perspective, Tearaway suffers a bit from guilt by association to the aforementioned titles. It may very well be a completely different and much better experience. But the art style doesn't do it any favors with a mainstream audience. Even though I'm open minded enough to give these kinds of artsy titles a chance, it just doesn't look all that fun and nothing about it jumps out and says "buy me now!"

And part of the problem may be how it was marketed...or the lack thereof. Basically, for me its the kind of game that if it falls to impulse buy territory ($5 or less in my book) I might give it a shot, but otherwise I'm probably gonna pass. With that in mind, I'd say to most gamers who have far less of an affinity towards quirky titles they'll just see this game as something they'd never buy in a million years. So, realistically, the only chance of getting it more exposure is PS+.

Loved it on vita, but I have to agree with the general sentiment in this thread that most stationary PlayStation owners don't care about charming jump'n'runs anymore. One of my favorite PS3 games was Puppeteer, which is kind of in the same genre and which also failed to sell significantly.

How well did the Rayman games sell on PlayStation?

LesPaul

In Germany a few weeks back you were able to get it on PS4 for 10€ on Amazon. I grabbed it then but had enough to do with The Old Hunters and now the Christmas Break from Uni. I hope to get into it when I get back home from my parents house.

Hi gaf, should I buy it..?

Local game store here have bundled Driveclub, Little Big Planet 3, and Tearaway Unfolded for ~$48

It's kinda pricey here, for comparison ordinary lunch is $1~$2, and I just want Tearaway, but it's ok if others are good

I think Driveclub is brilliant. Well worth it if you like arcade racing type of games, it can be quite challenging though.

LBP3 is objectively better than LBP1 and 2 in regards to its creation tools. I would argue the level design of the main campaign to be on par with LBP2, though it is shorter which is a little unfortunate.

Tearaway is in itself another great game, as others have described in this thread.

Interestingly, all of those games are from British developers. I wonder if that's why they decided to bundle them together *shrug*.

spekkeh

Banned
I buy about 2-3 platformers per console gen. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is about 2000 times better at them than everyone else, so Tearaway is kind of a hard sell.

drotahorror

I had planned on getting it day 1. Then I thought I'd play the demo first. I just didn't care much for it. Great visuals though.

1. Do we have the sales figures for this game?
How did it perform in comparison to other Remaster Games?
Afaik Only the BIG Remasters did really well in this Generation (TLOU, GTA, Uncharted)

2. there was no strong marketing campaing for this game. Most people i asked (germany) don't even know about this game.
Rarely Tearaway was mentioned by the people among the exlusive Highlights for 2015

i fear that the same will happen to the gravity Rush Remaster. So i don't think its necesarilly a fault of the genre/audience

I have no interest in this game. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics and I generally don't like platformers. Mario is an exception and even that isn't something I'm crazy about.

You can take pictures with the camera and make skins for your characters right? That's user generated content. I know it doesn't make sense, but it just seems completely stupid to me, and I can't get myself interested.

You can if you want to, but that's like not playing Resogun because it has a ship editor. It's supremely minimal, entirely optional and isn't the focus of the game. It's not even at Excite Bike levels of indulgence, let alone LittleBigPlanet or Minecraft.

I'm not trying to force you to play it or like it, just trying to clear up what seems like a misconception of what kind of game it is.

i fear that the same will happen to the gravity Rush Remaster. So i don't think its necesarilly a fault of the genre/audience

Yep. Sony will probably send it out with little fanfare, and the few hardcore that will buy it will probably overestimate the expected quality it's going to be bringing as a higher res handheld game, and picky people will be mad at it for many of the same things that made it lose some points back in 2013, ala Type-0... but even moreso because it's supposed to be a PS4 game this time.

Then, when it bombs, Sony will shrug their shoulders and probably yank the leash on budget for Gravity Rush 2 and plan for zero marketing, effectively sabotaging it. They'll release a neutered sequel to a mainstream audience that still hasn't played GR1 and maybe just heard it sucked, and to a hardcore audience that already went "meh" and decided not to buy the sequel on the grounds that a handheld port wasn't that great.

The proper thing to do would have been what Bayonetta 2 did with Bayonetta 1... pack it in. That way GR2 has added value, GR1 can be talked about at the same time with more clarity and relevant history (especially in the media, where many journos never had a Vita either), and the first impression will be strong with any marketing budget confidently devoted to making ONE release successful. ofc, that's just my take, I'm no expert.

I care. I bought the game for full price when it released on Vita. Yes the game does start slow but I loved it anyways.

I think that Tearaway is a victim of many things. People love to latch on to a disparate part of the experience and call the whole game that.

Tearaway is not a 3d platforming game even if it has a few of those elements.

Tearaway is not a User generated content game unless you count taking pictures and in game selfies as custom content.

Tearaway is not a puzzle game though there are a few puzzles here and there.

I think that adventure game is probably the best label one could give the game without wildly setting one's expectations up for a letdown.

Well. If NeoGAF Awards is not enough for you:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/tearaway

In addition:

• Tearaway won Edge '​s 2013 award for best visual design in a game.
  • BAFTA Video Games Awards – Best Mobile & Handheld Game, Best Artistic Achievement and best Family game

So, it's far from being:
that doesn't negate anything I've said, in fact some of the awards you posted literally highlight how good the art and visuals are of the game. I said outside of that, it's an average game, and it doesn't resonate with gamers that like a challenge and skill-based platforming.

It's a fine game, but it definitely can be critiqued and is far from perfect, don't get why you are taking such issue with me saying parts of the game is average. That's not code for bad lol.

Besides how utterly charming it all is, I've been having a fucking blast with this game's photo functionality.

CWsMXJmWcAE4488.jpg:large

CWsZ6JGWEAAK_MS.jpg:large

CWsclPfWUAIqrfV.jpg:large

CWsgdWSXIAAZi4S.jpg:large

Haha, love it.

Went to GameStop today, I have a 30 dollar gift card, was planning on getting this for PS4 but they didn't have a used copy : / I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

Why not buy a PSN card from them and buy the game on the store? Then you'll have $10 left on that gift card.

It was short, had minimal replay value, and the much-advertised "message" that they promise you at the end of the game is literally just (don't even know why I'm spoiler-tagging this)
a gallery of all the pictures the game made you take while the narrator retells the story.

I can gel with a lot of the complaints about the game not quite "feeling" good and being kinda boring/repetitive, but this is a straight-up misreading of what the game is trying to do.

Weiss

Banned
Well, I finished it.

The last chunk of the game
after you befriend the Scraps
was easily the high point and I wish Tearaway had consistently remained that good. The actual mechanics of interacting with the game world using the track pad and the PS4's light were really clever, and should have been more emphasized at the expense of the regular platforming.

It's a little too pleased with how whimsy it is and beyond saccharine, and for a game about story it's a little thin on it, but hell, I still liked it. I'd rather a game try too hard to be artsy than not try at all.

ced

I love platformers and was really looking forward to the PS4 version. I didn't last more than an hour, it is just not fun to play.

DangerMan

Banned
Game wasn't very much fun to play despite having a very fun visual style and story. It made great use of the Vita's features but didn't make the jump to PS4 overly well. Beating it on Vita was a one time thing and playing the demo on PS4 reminded me of why I never went back to it on Vita after I beat it.

GOOCHY

My PS4 copy showed up yesterday. Still a super creative, fun game. It's an adventure game not a platformer. Do not go into it expecting a platformer.

Ragona

I actually started playing Tearaway unfolded and hoped it would be my first game to beat this year, but after beating the first world I feel like I need to force myself to continue.
It is indeed charming as hell and looks really nice and some
of their ideas are really great. My main reason to continue at this point is to see what ideas they throw at me next.
Combat on the other hand is really boring imo and feels forced onto me most of the time.

Seeing that I will most likely need to spend another 4-5 hours into the game to finish it, Iam not quite sure if iam gonna see the credits. Maybe the game is actually too long and a shorter experience would have been beneficial here.

On a sidenode - while browsing trophies, I've seen that only ~ 13% of all people finished the game (which takes about 9 hours according to howlongtobeat), whereas a game like the Witcher 3 (70 hours atleast) stands at 24%.
So I guess Iam not the only one lacking the motivation to keep playing till the end.

(I guess Mario numbers would be a better comparison here, cause obviously heavy story based games have a different motivation to be finished.
Closest game I have on my list is Valiant hearts, which stands at 21%)

Top Bottom