• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't anybody care about Tearaway?

P90

Probably because there are better games to play out there? Great design does not necessarily equate to a fun and engaging game.

Man people are really dead inside, just tried the demo and bought it. Holy shit at that polish and charm, every inch of it is brilliantly crafted...

If it was some random hipster indie game I think people would be praising it. The marketing sent it out to die though. Unfortunate.

Man people are really dead inside, just tried the demo and bought it. Holy shit at that polish and charm, every inch of it is brilliantly crafted...

If it was some random hipster indie game I think people would be praising it. The marketing sent it out to die though. Unfortunate.

WTF dude, really?

Maybe some people just don't find it fun to actually, you know, play?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have played the Vita game and found it to be seriously lacking in the gameplay department. It is beautiful and has a nice style, but the gameplay is just gimmicky, way too easy and controls get in the player's way for no good reason. I was seriously looking forward to it, as a huge 3d platformer fan but it is just... not a good platformer. A prime example for style over substance. The reason I did not buy a PS4 for it is: The PS4 version looks like it does not play much better.

This is how I would summarize Unfolded after playing it. I love the visual design and aesthetic of this game (soundtrack is incredible too!), but playing it gets old fast. I kinda wish I'd played the Vita original instead of Unfolded, because the latter feels like it goes on... forever. MM obviously put a lot of work in the visuals, but tragically it's just not very fun to play. This was one of the 2015 games I was looking forward to most, but came away very disappointed.

Game was just... boring. Narrators went on and on and the slow pace just killed any desire I had to continue. Like, you can't even jump until an hour or more into the game.

KHlover

Banned
It's a MediaMolecule game. That made me wary. Then I read the negative opinions on forums. That made me wait for bin prices. In the meantime I sold my Vita and I don't own a PS4.

Do you mean "art" like "arts and crafts"? Or like "arthouse"? Cos it's much more the former than it is the latter.
It's definitely more of an "art game" that's about the "experience" than a gameplay-mechanics focused game (which are not very good at all ).

PaulloDEC

It's definitely more of an "art game" that's about the "experience" than a gameplay-mechanics focused game (which are not very good at all ).

Eh, there's a pretty wide spectrum. The Path, Dear Esther, The Yawhg, The Stanley Parable, Emily is Away... those are "art games". By comparison, Tearaway is massively slanted towards traditional gameplay.

I want to wait for a stronger sale. Been interested in the game due to the art style but I know Media Molecule make some generic and boring gameplay (tried their kart and little big planet games). Not taking chances on a game I might not enjoy. I love platformers but I want them to be very challeging. I dont always enjoy Mario games these days due to the lack of it.

AniHawk

This is how I would summarize Unfolded after playing it. I love the visual design and aesthetic of this game (soundtrack is incredible too!), but playing it gets old fast. I kinda wish I'd played the Vita original instead of Unfolded, because the latter feels like it goes on... forever. MM obviously put a lot of work in the visuals, but tragically it's just not very fun to play. This was one of the 2015 games I was looking forward to most, but came away very disappointed.

the vita game is media.molecule using every part of the vita and it works so damn well. the experience is pretty neutered, i'd imagine, on ps4.

take for instance jumping - initially it's done by tapping the back of the ps vita on the touch pads when you're over drums. and the 'you' is literally you (thanks to the vita's front-facing camera), meaning you're the sun that your character is trying to reach. every now and again your face will reappear in the story whenever they look skyward. of course, crafting is done via the touch screen too, and various gameplay elements are handled by actually manipulating elements using the rear touch pad and the touch screen. this is in addition to the regular controls. it just comes together in a great way. it turns the vita into the game's universe, which is literally in your hands.

i thought the platforming was fine. it wasn't anything tremendously new, but it wasn't boring or unexciting, and i thought it ramped up nicely near the end, especially in the last hour or so.

ryseing

the vita game is media.molecule using every part of the vita and it works so damn well. the experience is pretty neutered, i'd imagine, on ps4.

Vita version>>>> PS4 version.

Pacing is fucked by the new areas they added, and it doesn't help that those new areas aren't very good. Having to use the companion app that I couldn't even get working for the picture stuff also took me out of the experience.

Because of course there is a gamer are not even bother to try the game.

I understand they are just "saving money for games that REALLY worth for their wallet and taste".

I understand they are just skeptical and then being subjective.

I understand they are saying "it is indie-like. I don't like indie games or even indie-like games, they are piece of ****, I want AAA gamezz" and other reasons.

I understand they are just "huh? $20 (example) for this game? I will wait until it is discounted at $10".

I understand they are just "It is $10 already? Nah. I will wait it for free on PS Plus".

I understand they are just "On PS Plus already? Nah, I will sell my console. Will wait for Steam version"

etc etc etc.

===

I often buy games blindly, I mean I just take a look on the game's box artwork. To be honest I actually never watching any gameplay videos. Except for trailers, and unless I am looking for how to get an achievement/trophy.

Tearaway Unfolded is one of a games that I blindly spend money for the holiday even I already played it on vita.

I bought this game because I only want to fill trophies. And I thought the Unfolded is exactly same as vita version except it is 60fps, but apparently it has more.

Unfolded has bigger world, expanded story, high quality graphics, 60fps (drop in some areas but not destroying your gaming experience unless you are kind of drop to 59 then throw your machine to trash), in-game camera focus, in-game animated GIF camera, in-game upload captured photos (not via Share button) to tearaway.me website. Animated GIF generated from in-game can be uploaded, too. And Unfolded utilizes dualshock 4's touchpad and gyro. I played the game without PS camera and the companion app but it is still great.

Only downsides are:
- drawing paper art using touch pad is really awkward, lol.
- camera system is suck.
- me has glitch in 2 areas, but they are solved by just quitting the game and run the game again.
- Skipping dialogues requires you to press Square button, not cross or circle button like I am used to be.
- Like the vita, I think the story is targeted purely for kids, not adults. On the end I was like, "Ahhh, I see".

If you are one of "I understand" part above, I will tell you: avoid that kind of (negative) thoughts and mindset towards (any) game, and buy the game. See a game based on your creative mindset perspective, not your wallet perspective. If money is really your problem, I don't need to tell you what to do.

If you don't like the game, just sell it (I am talking about physical copy).

Sorry for my bad english.

Other games I blindly bought for holiday:

- Drakengard 3 PS3. Never played any drakengard series, but it is damn awesome. Like: gameplay and universe. Dislike: install time
- Dragon Quest Heroes. I never played any dragon quest games too. Is this Heroes are spin-off? Like: gameplay, music and universe. Dislike: in-game battle dialogues are not skippable
- Yakuza 5. Like: the whole story and gameplay. Dislike: certain people's story.
- Gravity Rush remastered. Like: I can fly like superman. Dislike: none.
- AC Syndicate. People are saying it is still not better after Black Flag. And it is true. But I bought it because I want to know about Victorian London based on Ubisoft's perspective. Their Paris in AC Unity is also great. Like: Victorian London settings. Dislike: still no photo mode...sigh

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

take for instance jumping - initially it's done by tapping the back of the ps vita on the touch pads when you're over drums. and the 'you' is literally you (thanks to the vita's front-facing camera), meaning you're the sun that your character is trying to reach. every now and again your face will reappear in the story whenever they look skyward. of course, crafting is done via the touch screen too, and various gameplay elements are handled by actually manipulating elements using the rear touch pad and the touch screen. this is in addition to the regular controls. it just comes together in a great way. it turns the vita into the game's universe, which is literally in your hands.

I have to admit I don't have a PS camera (like many others I'd bet), so playing this on PS4 did not feel like what you described, at all. The way you describe it, I'm pretty sure a lot of things were lost in translation going from Vita to PS4, and padding the game out with extra content didn't do it any favors.

Vita version>>>> PS4 version.

Pacing is fucked by the new areas they added, and it doesn't help that those new areas aren't very good. Having to use the companion app that I couldn't even get working for the picture stuff also took me out of the experience.

I can believe that. A game like Tearaway didn't feel like it needed 10 or more hours, half is enough.

Most "hardcore" gamers that aren't into entry level stuff like CoD take gameplay mechanics really seriously, and Tearaway's simply not about that. And casuals are playing games on their smartphones, not on consoles.

SpokkX

Love the looks and it us really creative with the folding stuff

But the game us sadly quite boring to play imo :(

- no real platforming
- no real puzzles
- no variety in the boring fights

It is a linear creative journey.. It lacks meaningful gameplay or challenge

AniHawk

I have to admit I don't have a PS camera (like many others I'd bet), so playing this on PS4 did not feel like what you described, at all. The way you describe it, I'm pretty sure a lot of things were lost in translation going from Vita to PS4, and padding the game out with extra content didn't do it any favors.

i don't think having the ps camera would have the same feel as looking down upon the world and the world looking back up. tearaway was built as a game that used every part of the vita as a concept. it would be like playing 999 on iphone or watching the cutscenes online. yeah you get the jist of the plot twist, but a lot of the magic is lost since it's not on a dual screen handheld.

NinjaBoiX

Like every Media Molecule game ever the presentation was incredible and well put together, with the gameplay being thoroughly mediocre and boring.
So...."like LBP"?

I mean you're right, but don't pretend that they have a whole library of disappointing products, it's just the one shit franchise.

GOOCHY

One thing about Tearaway Unfolded for the PS4 - the new areas do not add anything to the game - and actually might detract from the mostly fantastic pacing of the game in the Vita version (after you get the jump ability).

I would say if you're interested in Tearaway that the Vita version is the definitive version. It was designed to take advantage of all of the Vita's abilities.

wazoo

There's this weird false narrative throughout this thread that people who disliked this game require space marines and/or "pew pew" to enjoy a title and just don't have the temperament for high art like Tearaway.

This was just a poorly executed game that leaned too heavily on its art style and as another poster described it 2005 DS-era gimmicks.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is exactly what i was talking about:
Love the looks and it us really creative with the folding stuff

But the game us sadly quite boring to play imo :(

- no real platforming
- no real puzzles
- no variety in the boring fights

It is a linear creative journey.. It lacks meaningful gameplay or challenge

many gamers are too used to pure genres, they cannot stand a game that isn't focused on platforming or shooting or fighting or puzzling etc, a game whose genre isn't easily recognizable at first impact has a really hard time to be even considered by many gamers, people, especially those who didn't like or play it, call it platformer but those who liked it know that Tearaway tries to be a "real" adventure, real adventures don't focus on just an aspect, also the game wanted to be an "experience" or an interactive story so imo a too hard difficulty could have broken the flow of the narration, especially considering that Tearaway was kid friendly.

Also did people really play it or just talk based on MM preconceptions? How can some people complain about controls? They were perfect and responsive.

I'm not saying that people should like tearaway, but most of the people that dislike it either have a wrong idea of it or aren't used to games like it.

This is exactly what i was talking about:

many gamers are too used to pure genres, they cannot stand a game that isn't focused on platforming or shooting or fighting or puzzling etc, a game whose genre isn't easily recognizable at first impact has a really hard time to be even considered by many gamers, people, especially those who didn't like or play it, call it platformer but those who liked it know that Tearaway tries to be a "real" adventure, real adventures don't focus on just an aspect, also the game wanted to be an "experience" or an interactive story so imo a too hard difficulty could have broken the flow of the narration, especially considering that Tearaway was kid friendly.

Also did people really play it or just talk based on MM preconceptions? How can some people complain about controls? They were perfect and responsive.

People call it a platformer because it frequently interrupts an enjoyable little world with bland platforming segments.

I mean, i agree that the game wasn't focused on just one thing, i just think that's a large flaw when the game doesnt do many of those things particularly well. The game would be better if the "traditional gameplay" elements like combat and platforming were removed and it was more of a relaxed puzzler where you use Itoi's moves to do fun stuff with the environment, IMO.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
People call it a platformer because it frequently interrupts an enjoyable little world with bland platforming segments.

The game would be better if the "traditional gameplay" elements like combat and platforming were removed and it was more of a relaxed puzzler where you use Itoi's moves to do fun stuff with the environment, IMO.
So Mirror Edge is a fighting/shooting game because it often interrupts the enjoyable platforming with bland fights?

You wanting Tearaway to be a "pure" puzzle game is exactly what i was talking about, a game has to focused on something to be even considered by many gamers.

So Mirror Edge is a fighting/shooting game because it often interrupts the enjoyable platforming with bland fights?

This is a good description of mirrors edge, but the platforming is a much bigger piece of tearaway than the mostly optional combat is to mirror's edge. An incredibly large part of the game is maneuvering to other locations by means of platforming setpieces.

You wanting Tearaway to be a "pure" puzzle game is exactly what i was talking about, a game has to focused on something to be even considered by many gamers.

Yes, I would prefer if large chunks of the games I play were fun, instead of not fun. I would prefer if tearaway gave me more of what it does well, than more of the bits I was bored by.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is a good description of mirrors edge, but the platforming is a much bigger piece of tearaway than the mostly optional combat is to mirror's edge. An incredibly large part of the game is maneuvering to other locations by means of platforming setpieces.

Yes, I would prefer if large chunks of the games I play were fun, instead of not fun. I would prefer if tearaway gave me more of what it does well, than more of the bits I was bored by.

We can stay here debating about proportions of gameplay in a game or another, but like it or not platforming is not the focus in Tearaway exactly like fighting and puzzling also aren't.

It bores you because it doesn't do what you want and/or like you want, you would have preferred a puzzle game but that wasn't the intention of the game, it would be like asking for Mirrors Edge to focus on combat, you may not like the idea behind tearaway and i respect it, but i think that without realizing it many gamers have an idea of "good" game that limits their options and the exploration of new ideas.

Top Bottom