• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Dragon's Dogma is The Undefeated RPG Combat Champion

sublimit

Banned

WhirlwindFlamboyantCougar-max-1mb.gif

I thought that was a cool video for fans of DD! :messenger_beaming:

Woopah

If you have to mod it to make it good I don't think that counts.

Really great game though. Looking forward to the sequel.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's the best. Lots of different attacks and skills, each class felt different and magic felt as it should: powerful as fuck.

Not to mention the feedback given to the user. The sound design was perfect, each blow felt meaty and it has that "hpmh" that a lot of other games, like Skyrim, completely lack. Hitting something felt like hitting something, and not like slicing through the air.

Sentenza

I mean, when your competition is Skyrim coming on top is not exactly an achievement.

That aside, NAH, I like Dragon's Dogma and it got a lot of things right, but there are plenty of games that had a better combat experience and balance overall.

levyjl1988

Banned
I put too much effort into my Dragon's Dogma save for the Xbox 360, it is unfortunate that it couldn't be transferred over to the Xbox One, I want to play, but I don't want to start from scratch again.

iHaunter

I tried it recently, I actually found it clunky and poorly executed. But I LOVED the creativity of it.

I'm really hoping for Dogma II if they heavily improve the combat snappiness. It was a good game overall and really felt like an RPG, few do nowadays.

sublimit

Banned
I put too much effort into my Dragon's Dogma save for the Xbox 360, it is unfortunate that it couldn't be transferred over to the Xbox One, I want to play, but I don't want to start from scratch again.
If you really enjoy it you'd be surprised how fast you can progress through the game and be where you were before. It's the only game i platinumed twice once for PS3 and once for PS4.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
If you really enjoy it you'd be surprised how fast you can progress through the game and be where you were before. It's the only game i platinumed twice once for PS3 and once for PS4.
I grinded the hell out of vocations and I don't think I would want to redo it all over especially when there is such a huge backlog already. I had to max my inventory and items too, sigh...

sublimit

Banned
I grinded the hell out of vocations and I don't think I would want to redo it all over especially when there is such a huge backlog already. I had to max my inventory and items too, sigh...
There are "tricks" than can give you lots of XP very,very fast if you want.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have played it. Good combat but nowhere near as good as DD. It's not even in the same league.
Agree. It was nice but DD is king.

Also, the system leads to a lot of epicness. In Dark Souls, you spend most fights agains giant enemies poking their legs with a weapon. Being able to climb a fucking giant Beholder in DD and pierce the eye with your weapon is a totally different thing.

over rated game , and i played the superior pc version.
:(

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Agree. It was nice but DD is king.

Also, the system leads to a lot of epicness. In Dark Souls, you spend most fights agains giant enemies poking their legs with a weapon. Being able to climb a fucking giant Beholder in DD and pierce the eye with your weapon is a totally different thing.

:(
i dont know man , i guess i went in really hyped and while i enjoyed the combat i felt like the game had no progress , felt like a ps2 era game

TintoConCasera

i dont know man , i guess i went in really hyped and while i enjoyed the combat i felt like the game had no progress , felt like a ps2 era game
I get ya. The game is a flawed gem (at least imo). It got butchered during the development process and ended up having a lot less contenr than what was originally planned. Also there is almost no story, and the world is pretty small compared to most open world games.

It's still a pretty comfy game, and had great things like the combat system or the DLC content. That's why you'll see a lot of DD fans really hyped for the sequel, as it's our chance to get the game we could but never had.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Square really knocked it out of the park with that system. perfection outside a couple camera hiccups.
I enjoyed FF7R but the air combat kind of sucked especially against these guys....
latest

OT: I haven't played DD so can't really judge but Monster Hunter has my favourite combat in all Capcom games.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Too bad that the wind didn't pushed some of you. The game is clearly divisive, here's hoping the sequel is more refined so more people can enjoy it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Something that western devs could learn how to do.
Thats mostly because western developer's goal for games is not about having good combat or boss fights or even proper level design but rather its about "realism" and "immersion". Actually most western developers trying their best for their games not feel "gamey" and that to me its huge mistake.

Dragon's Dogma's combat was good for an open-world game. It does not measure favorably against Souls though.

Even putting Skyrim's combat in this conversation is laughable.

sublimit

Banned
I get ya. The game is a flawed gem (at least imo). It got butchered during the development process and ended up having a lot less contenr than what was originally planned. Also there is almost no story, and the world is pretty small compared to most open world games.

It's still a pretty comfy game, and had great things like the combat system or the DLC content. That's why you'll see a lot of DD fans really hyped for the sequel, as it's our chance to get the game we could but never had.
Oh but it had much more than that my friend...much more...
ywNm1E8.gif

sublimit

Banned
Yep, but I'm on mobile now and I could ran out of battery while listing all of them. :lollipop_content:
I could easily mention the Pawn system on top of my head which was one of the deepest and most interesting mechanics i've seen in any game. It wasn't perfect but it was still incredibly fun to actually train your Pawn and making them killing machines.
There was a gif somewhere with 2 Strider Pawns climbing on a BBI enemy and annihilating it with Thousand Kisses but i can't seem to find it right now.

The game is full of hidden systems and really rewards those who like to experiment and put some serious time into it...

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I could easily mention the Pawn system on top of my head which was one of the deepest and most interesting mechanics i've seen in any game. It wasn't perfect but it was still incredibly fun to actually train your Pawn and making them killing machines.
There was a gif somewhere with 2 Strider Pawns climbing on a BBI enemy and annihilating it with Thousand Kisses but i can't seem to find it right now.

The game is full of hidden systems and really rewards those who like to experiment and put some serious time into it...
Pawn system is really great. I loved customizing mine and getting it rated and getting gifts by other players. Also having talking partners in an adventure game like this adds a lot to the immersion, it felt very cool getting hints from other pawns that already had experience in certain areas or agains certain enemies. Awesome overall.

I also loved some little details, like the weight and the height of the characters being taken into account when getting lifted by flying enemies or entering little tunnels. That kind of little things show how much care they poured into the game.

Not to mention all the Monster Hunter influences, like the bigger enemies having certain weaknesses or parts of the body that where weaker or destructible. I never got tired of cutting Saurian's tails.

Fuck man, I loved this flawed game. Cant wait for the sequel.

Lethal01

I enjoyed FF7R but the air combat kind of sucked especially against these guys....
latest

OT: I haven't played DD so can't really judge but Monster Hunter has my favourite combat in all Capcom games.
Totally agree, air combat sucked.
But all the great stuff outweighs it to me. It was a fairly rare issue to deal with.

Top Bottom