• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn''t disney used Mickey, Donald, or Goofy in a modern film?

Shaanyboi

Banned
70177048.jpg

Be careful what you wish for
This is exactly what I want to see. I wanna see them take a torch to everything you love about these characters and show just how horrifically wrong it can go with this license. lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Probably in development hell. Plus those characters don't really have a coveted origin story, and Mickey is kinda boring. Should be an instant success in the right hands (just look at how Big Hero 6 was huge & that's not even proper Pixar/Marvel) but even Disney IPs can only go so far like the discontinued Infinity series showcased. Shit's risky

Big Hero 6 is Marvel.

Astral Dog

I think the biggest hurdle is thus:

What kind of story could you tell with characters who live in relatively normal worlds where they're nothing but everymen that would warrant a theatrical animated feature?
Its not like this has stopped them (and many other companies) before.

Wood Man

No thanks. After my daughter watched Micky Mouse Clubhouse for years I'm good with Mickey & the gang for a while.That fucking "Hot Dog" song.

They did the The Three Musketeers movie over a decade ago (strait to DVD). We recently watched it and it was just alright.

I know about 12 years ago they were seriously considering it for there 50th full length animated feature to be a full fledged Mickey Mouse movie. After Michael Eisner left and the Pixar acquisition/merger happened the whole movie slate got rejiggered and a lot of films got scrapped which included the Mickey movie. Keep in mind though early 00s Disney Animaion was really incompetent (talent drain, too much bureaucracy, bad execs, rushed projects ,etc) so while they wanted to do it the project wasn't coming together all that well which is why the new team under Lasseter and Catmull dropped it assuming it was even still in development at that point.

No thanks. After my daughter watched Micky Mouse Clubhouse for years I'm good with Mickey & the gang for a while.That fucking "Hot Dog" song.

They did the The Three Musketeers movie over a decade ago (strait to DVD). We recently watched it and it was just alright.

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggedy dog!

Yeah, cousin's kid had me watch it all the time. I memorized each character's dance, including Goofy's stupid arm flapping.

I'd watch a movie, but I'm fine with the new shorts, they're great.

These youtube shorts are amazing, i just discovered them. The animation is expert and i love that they do shorts in different countries in their respective languages

KHlover

Banned
You could always make a Phantomias movie for Donald. Or at least animate a few of the bazillion comics that exist of him and still continue to be released monthly (in Germany, at least and I'm pretty sure Italy also still loves Donald).

Those Paul Rudish cartoons are way better than anything that a movie would come up with anyway

Those cartoons are literally the worst thing Disney has done in years, and this is coming from a father who has to listen to every song Dove Cameron has ever recorded.

The cartoons paint Mickey & crew as complete bumbling idiots. I can't stand them.

Edit: Wet No!

wetwired

Those cartoons are literally the worst thing Disney has done in years, and this is coming from a father who has to listen to every song Dove Cameron has ever recorded.

The cartoons paint Mickey & crew as complete bumbling idiots. I can't stand them.

This is what it feels like when you find out your friend is a flat-earther

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

When aren't they depicted as complete bumbling idiots outside of spinoffs?

Disney Animation Studio hasn't ever made full-length features with the Mickey crew outside of a few collections of shorts. They've always been used for short films. Frozen had a Mickey short attached to it, so they're still making them now and then.

ISOM

Are they known? Yes, everybody know them.

That doesn't translate into Relevancy tho, and it pains me to say this, it really does, but we have to face the fact that we live in a world where such movie would bomb.

I doubt that. The most stupidest shit is being made into animated movies and doing insane numbers. Make a cgi film with those characters and make it funny or interesting and it will do numbers.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Goofy was in a movie with the X Games, that's pretty damn modern.

Was the best Disney animated movie too. If they can recreate that magic they should be making another as quick as possible.

This, I was never really a Mickey fan but these are really well done. I didn't realize there was new ones out, I have only seen the first season and a bit of the 2nd

Season 4 starting June 9th too.

digdug2k

There are a few Mickey movies aren't there? There's a Mickey Christmas carol one at least. I think Mickey is just their 0+ age group character. Making a theatrical film for that age group... well no one does it for good reasosns.

btrboyev

There are a few Mickey movies aren't there? There's a Mickey Christmas carol one at least. I think Mickey is just their 0+ age group character. Making a theatrical film for that age group... well no one does it for good reasosns.

That isn't a movie. That's a 23 minute short.

btrboyev

Popular characters don't translate into big movie ticket sales. Even if they are decent films.

See the Peanuts for example.

It would have worked well in the 80's. Today's youth aren't as exposed to these characters like us older people were. The new Disney is not the same as it used to be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually, his last reference was in the second Once Upon a Christmas movie (the CGI one).

Yeah, just found out. He already finished college too.

It's so weird he's the only character in Disney canon that actually aged.

Popular characters don't translate into big movie ticket sales. Even if they are decent films.

It would have worked well in the 80's. Today's youth aren't as exposed to these characters like us older people were. The new Disney is not the same as it used to be.
Today's youth isn't exposed to Mickey Mouse and the gang?

That's... news to me.

Today's youth isn't exposed to Mickey Mouse and the gang?

That's... news to me.

Yeah that's definitely not true. Also, it's not like kids have to have preexisting knowledge of characters in a movie aimed at them for it to do well. That's like saying no new IP can do well which is clearly not true.

Chuckie

I feel like I read some article from a few years ago that said the reason Mickey Mouse has never had his own feature-length theatrical film is because Disney is scared of getting it wrong. That character basically is Disney's entire legacy, so I guess I can see the apprehension of risking screwing it up.

What about Fantasia?

Disney rarely had Mickey, Donald & Goofy in films, and when they were in a film it was usually straight to DVD anyway. The characters have always been used in short films & on TV all the time.

Its like making a Mario movie,its never.going. to happen.

the hideous 80s thing doesn't count

disney_super_mario_movie_poster__jpn_version__by_curtisgwin-d7fyb9t.jpg

It was actually made in the 90's slight correction there.

TheJoRu

This thread made me check out those Mickey Mouse online shorts...

Oh man, you guys, these are GREAT! Modern classics, quite literally. My favorite so far is Yodelberg, had me dying of laughter.

Rembrandt

Banned
Mickey is more famous as a logo and icon than an actual character.

But I honestly don't care about any of them as characters and they don't draw me to see things they're in. They're at this point, purely recognizable.

Granted, I missed all of the cartoons they were in besides the goofy movies, but even then eh. Replace the characters and it still would have been the same movie and just as good.

Oersted

Disney movies exist to sell merchandise. Mickey, Donald and Co already sell, might as well try to establish new sellers instead

It's possible that Disney is of the opinion that the Sensational Six and the world their stories take place in simply aren't fit to carry a modern feature-length project, and it's also quite possible that there just isn't anyone in a position of power who actually wants to make a Mickey/Donald/Goofy-lead film at the moment.
I also imagine that the relatively luke-warm performance (for a Disney Renaissance-era film) and middling reviews of "A Goofy Movie" (despite it having a cult following, a lot of professional critics thought that it was a bland and predictable experience with unmemorable songs) probably scared them away from prioritizing the production of any future feature-length Mickey/Donald/Goofy/etc. movies they might have been cooking up.

Those online shorts they did were pretty fucking good.

Oh man, the Paul Rudish shorts are fantastic!
I think that they're one of the best examples of revamping an iconic/historic property and putting a fresh and appealing new spin on it
I mean when you really think about it, the Rudish shorts are basically what Mickey Mouse would have been like if it was a new IP developed by Cartoon Network animators in the late 90s-early 2000s.
Its honestly something we've never seen before, a Mickey Mouse with those kind of neo-UPA post-Ren and Stimpy sensibilities.
And its great!

I never in a million years thought I'd see sweet/adorable/girly Minnie Mouse completely HULK OUT in order to turn a crank, but I'm certainly glad I did because it's pretty hilarious. lol

I also imagine that the relatively luke-warm performance (for a Disney Renaissance-era film) and middling reviews of "A Goofy Movie" (despite it having a cult following, a lot of professional critics thought that it was a bland and predictable experience with unmemorable songs) probably scared them away from prioritizing the production of any future feature-length Mickey/Donald/Goofy/etc. movies they might have been cooking up.

I'm not even sure if Goofy Movie can be called a renaissance-era film, as the Disney Renaissance primarily refers to the output of Disney Animation Studios, and Goofy Movie is a DisneyToons production that got a theatrical release. It's from the same studio that made all those god-awful direct-to-video sequels, the Tinkerbell movies, and the Planes movies.

Peanuts are peanuts compared to Mickey.
Donald comics/Mickey Mouse Magazines are still big in europe but i guess not so much in the us.

Effect

As far as I know, Disney has their characters not just under copyright but also trademarked, which lasts as long as they use it.
Specific movies might eventually go into public domain but the characters themselves will probably remain Disney's.

It was my understanding there was something done a while ago that was going to allow them and others in their position to keep ownership of their characters and they wouldn't fall into normal public domain.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Those characters are more mascots for the theme parks and the corporation as a whole at this point. And they are incredibly powerful in that role.

Copyright law. Disney has until 2023 to figure how to extend the Mickey Mouse copyright.

They've bumped up against copyright law with Mickey multiple times, and every time it happens, they manage to get the laws changed so they can hold onto him. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

Kill3r7

They've bumped up against copyright law with Mickey multiple times, and every time it happens, they manage to get the laws changed so they can hold onto him. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

Correct, they were able to change the law twice. Disney impacts copyright law more than any other major corporation. I am just interested to see how they pull it off this time. That said, I do think it has an impact on how they want to deal with their older IPs.

Top Bottom