• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I think Sony doesn't want Game Pass/XCloud on PS4.

12Dannu123

Embrace, Extend Extinguish.

Microsoft embrace Game Pass on PS4, Microsoft extend Game Pass/XCloud with lots of content, therefore majority of consumption on PS4 happens through Microsoft's Game Pass/XCloud and when majority of people on PS4 are dependant on Game Pass, Microsoft will remove Game Pass/XCloud and since Game Pass and XCloud can run on any device, be it on PC, Xbox, Smartphone and tablet etc, they will move to those ecosystems with no problems. The result is PS sales collapse due to lack of Game Pass and XCloud.

I won't be surprised that Sony has taken this situation into consideration and along with Nintendo, hence both companies have taken an isolated and protectionist stance on their platforms.

While Microsoft probably won't do this, this situation allows them to do exactly this.

Last edited:
Interesting way to spin it I suppose but I dont think Sony would be just sitting there not looking at the success of gamepass and not doing anything.
The fact is they have the number 1 console in the world and could effectively coast into next gen not doing anything for the next year until ps5 in 2020...which pretty much appears to what they are doing.

Netflix took years to become established...I would give gamepass at least 5 years with quality first party and third party content support before you will see it on other devices and even then I think it will pretty much be a streaming model of gaming by then.

Three

Microsoft embrace Game Pass on PS4, Microsoft extend Game Pass/XCloud with lots of content, therefore majority of consumption on PS4 happens through Microsoft's Game Pass/XCloud and when majority of people on PS4 are dependant on Game Pass, Microsoft will remove Game Pass/XCloud and since Game Pass and XCloud can run on any device, be it on PC, Xbox, Smartphone and tablet etc, they will move to those ecosystems with no problems. The result is PS sales collapse due to lack of Game Pass and XCloud.

I won't be surprised that Sony has taken this situation into consideration and along with Nintendo, hence both companies have taken an isolated and protectionist stance on their platforms.

While Microsoft probably won't do this, this situation allows them to do exactly this.

Sony and MS want to be the gatekeeper. If you are paying for games as a service (especially somebody else's service) what good is that to you as the console manufacturer? You don't get your 30%, you don't get the subscription you essentially get nothing really.

MS are trying to push games as a service. The sudden interest in first party support is for this very reason not because they have finally listened to years of people complaining. It's because people unsubscribe or let their subscription laps during the year when there are no hyped first party games coming out. The games don't even need to be that good. Sea of thieves was a crap game but because of first party marketing and people wanting to try it people sign up for gamepass instead. If they keep that flow of first party hyped exclusives throughout the year they will maintain gamepass subscriptions. Of course MS would want that revenue from every device and most likely other manufacturers wouldn't want it on theirs. Just like Apple don't want Google play store on iOS or Google don't want the app store on Android. Why do you think they would then take it away if they allowed it? To then try and sell hardware again? It doesn't really make sense.

Last edited:
I love how every one of these threads completely ignores that PS Now existed for years before Gamepass. Here is a question for you OP, when do you think Microsoft will allow PS Now on Xbox?

cdthree

Honestly, who knows what Microsoft is up to with gamepass. In that one interview Phil was talking about starting first with Android and their 1 billion plus users. So is he talking about adding content for Android, buying a new company, far future and streaming to Android? Who knows. Will Google, Amazon, even allow gamepass on their service? Will Google team up with Nintendo in the future? Very possible. With all these new store fronts coming out and possibly be locked out of every platform, I'm not sure why Phil is cock sure on getting those next 2 billion users, without buying up some big players in the industry.

because its unnecessary. thats why, make a big game. and sell it discretely. and offer it later for free on ps+. if you need sub based gaming. you have ps now. which is slightly more than gamepass. but lets you stream games as well and it also doesn't remove games every month

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/IP9101-NPIA90010_01-PSNOWSUB12MO0000?smcid=pdc:us-en:web-pdc-explore-playstation-now-games:sub-nav-Get PS Now:null:

PS now 1 year sub is 80. i think its normally 100. which comes out to be less than 10 bucks a month

xbox game pass is the same price isn't it? its like 5 on discount and 10 normally. and they remove games

I think you post about this subject multiple times when you realize that Sony first of all. doesn't need to answer gamepass. neither does anyone. second of all. they already have an answer. which is PS now. which is an answer to both XCLOUD and gamepass

now. if your asking. why doesn't sony offer their 1st party games on ps now day 1? let me ask you. how many 1st party games microsoft made so far on the xb1? almost none. less than any console in recent history. and only two big budget ones. Sony has no incentive to do that because then they would make less money than if they sold it at retail.

the people that have good enough internet to use gamepass/xcloud/ps now are probably having no problem paying 60 dollars at retail for games. gamepass exists so that YOU DEPEND ON IT. if you buy a game, you aren't dependant on Sony to let you play it. it just works you own it. if I use gamepass. and one day I stop paying. I lose my entire library and can't play shit.

Movies. i dont need that really. i watch a movie once and am satisfied. if i want to watch it again i have many ways of doing so.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
If Sony denies EA accss, they definitely won’t allow any sort of Microsoft gaming presence on their console. I could see Nintendo being more lenient since the two companies seem to have some sort of partnership when it came to Minecraft and the dlc.

Virex

Banned
This is the dumbest thread of the day. PlayStation will always be dominant. Sony isn’t going anywhere.

120v

i don't think players will be that dependent on game pass though. sure it has its place and it'll be a success going forward but ultimately most joe schmoes play like 5 games a year, it isn't like movie/tv streaming where most modern households are constantly burning through new content daily

Freeman76

You are overthinking. Sony have majority, they dont give a fuck right now. We have the opposite case to last gen.

Sparda

Banned
You should play more games instead of bash sony all the time. You know it's more fun than gamepass PR job.

benjohn

There's one big problem that seems to be neglected. Not everyone of those 1 billion gamers has the decent internet needed for those services. I haven't ever been to the U.S but I've heard even there the infrastructures are not ready let alone the rest of the world. In my country in spite of rather good speed the traffic cap denies any possibility of such services' success. I think there's long time before the world reaches that state.

Woodchipper

When it comes to quality, I fear this is gaming’s biggest enemy, seeing as how much crap Netflix puts out these days. I’m worried.

demigod

You should play more games instead of bash sony all the time. You know it's more fun than gamepass PR job.

Don't you just love it when they have a JP game avatar to go along with bashing Sony?

There's one big problem that seems to be neglected. Not everyone of those 1 billion gamers has the decent internet needed for those services. I haven't ever been to the U.S but I've heard even there the infrastructures are not ready let alone the rest of the world. In my country in spite of rather good speed the traffic cap denies any possibility of such services' success. I think there's long time before the world reaches that state.

Net neutrality is dead in U.S. It's only time until the other ISPs follow Comcast. Enjoy your data caps with 4k game streaming.

thelastword

Banned
I had to read this OP twice, because it was a bit strange, it's really reaching tbh.......Playstation using MS's gamepass service? In which generation? That's not happening.....Sony is not going to use MS to fuel any part of their console diet.....

Also, OP must remember that PS NOW is the most successful streaming service right now and you don't lose access to games, the list just keeps on building....and of course you don't need PLUS to play online....PS-PLUS is also the most successful online service right now, still offering the best monthly games,
and yet, you don't need it to play fortnite and FREE TO PLAY games or even betas.....Which brings us to the PSN store, which is the most successful store right now due to frequent sales, pre-loading, decent storage sizes on exclusives, quality exclusives including the VR channel, so of course it's going to be pulling the most revenue.........So it's like this, why would Sony leave successful services, which covers a wide range of customers to chase a cash strapped service that depends on millions and even billions of subs which MS just cannot muster.......That's why MS is giving gamepass for free literally, 3 months for 10 etc.....and they don't have the content to push such a service anyway, so yes, they can buy a boatload of sub-tier devs, but that won't change the dynamic and attractiveness of the service for mass market appeal, you need a bevy of great games to attract folk across many devices....

So no gaming company is sitting their twiddling it's thumbs saying, "boy, PS5 will be hooked up to gamepass for all that great content"...Hell, everybody and their grandma's seems to be setting up an online store atm......No one is giving into MS gamepass as the onestop gaming plug-in, everybody is looking to establish their own and pull their own installbase and customers and in the end whoever has the best content will win, nothing changes in the gaming space. Some services will rise and fall, but I think Sony will stand tall when all is said and done with no dependency on MS..........That's for sure...

Also we must stop projecting gamepass as this super successful service that it's not, where every platform provider is just sallivating to give MS that cut.....MS can't even muster 20% of it's base to gamepass and they've been giving the service literally for free.....Yes, persons will take the trials and 50% gamepass deals and sub in the months where there is a game they want to play, but what is the point of subbing year round? Games leave the service and the games on there are not exactly the holy grail or require consistent subbing, besides, you still have to pay for live when on gamepass.......Which shows MS is losing money, it's not as gravy as they say........So many people who were going to buy Horizon at retail did not because, "hey" free subs, 3 months for $10 et al.......So much revenue lost to build a service that depends on content, which MS has been sorely lacking this entire gen.......So what will cause people to actively sustain their gamepass accounts, what content? I know persons who were going to buy Horizon but instead chipped in for a gamepass sub and now share access to these games across many friends, that's less people buying these games........And don't talk about "they just want your sub and persons into the eco-system" because that can easily be boosted by sharing and don't be fooled into thinking that a tonne of persons are playing into MS's DLC and monetization in these gamepass games, whether that be playing online or actively playing SP beyond the mating period.......SOT, SOD2, Gears, Horizon are not generating the revenue MS needs to make back on a game sold at retail for $60, many persons just try the gamepass games and leave it at, gamepass is not big enough to rely on a huge payday from DLC or monetization, not even close......

Something like gamepass may be successful in the future, but only when all device markets are penetrated with great content, gamepass is not close to being that in it's current state...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Microsoft is not and never was planning on putting GamePass/xCloud on PlayStation.

There’s a reason Phil always uses the word “devices” and not “platforms”.

At MOST, you may get it on Switch in Japan only so they don’t have to bother selling consoles nobody wants there.

I had to read this OP twice, because it was a bit strange, it's really reaching tbh.......Playstation using MS's gamepass service? In which generation? That's not happening.....Sony is not going to use MS to fuel any part of their console diet.....

Also, OP must remember that PS NOW is the most successful streaming service right now and you don't lose access to games, the list just keeps on building....and of course you don't need PLUS to play online....PS-PLUS is also the most successful online service right now, still offering the best monthly games,
and yet, you don't need it to play fortnite and FREE TO PLAY games or even betas.....Which brings us to the PSN store, which is the most successful store right now due to frequent sales, pre-loading, decent storage sizes on exclusives, quality exclusives including the VR channel, so of course it's going to be pulling the most revenue.........So it's like this, why would Sony leave successful services, which covers a wide range of customers to chase a cash strapped service that depends on millions and even billions of subs which MS just cannot muster.......That's why MS is giving gamepass for free literally, 3 months for 10 etc.....and they don't have the content to push such a service anyway, so yes, they can buy a boatload of sub-tier devs, but that won't change the dynamic and attractiveness of the service for mass market appeal, you need a bevy of great games to attract folk across many devices....

So no gaming company is sitting their twiddling it's thumbs saying, "boy, PS5 will be hooked up to gamepass for all that great content"...Hell, everybody and their grandma's seems to be setting up an online store atm......No one is giving into MS gamepass as the onestop gaming plug-in, everybody is looking to establish their own and pull their own installbase and customers and in the end whoever has the best content will win, nothing changes in the gaming space. Some services will rise and fall, but I think Sony will stand tall when all is said and done with no dependency on MS..........That's for sure...

Also we must stop projecting gamepass as this super successful service that it's not, where every platform provider is just sallivating to give MS that cut.....MS can't even muster 20% of it's base to gamepass and they've been giving the service literally for free.....Yes, persons will take the trials and 50% gamepass deals and sub in the months where there is a game they want to play, but what is the point of subbing year round? Games leave the service and the games on there are not exactly the holy grail or require consistent subbing, besides, you still have to pay for live when on gamepass.......Which shows MS is losing money, it's not as gravy as they say........So many people who were going to buy Horizon at retail did not because, "hey" free subs, 3 months for $10 et al.......So much revenue lost to build a service that depends on content, which MS has been sorely lacking this entire gen.......So what will cause people to actively sustain their gamepass accounts, what content? I know persons who were going to buy Horizon but instead chipped in for a gamepass sub and now share access to these games across many friends, that's less people buying these games........And don't talk about "they just want your sub and persons into the eco-system" because that can easily be boosted by sharing and don't be fooled into thinking that a tonne of persons are playing into MS's DLC and monetization in these gamepass games, whether that be playing online or actively playing SP beyond the mating period.......SOT, SOD2, Gears, Horizon are not generating the revenue MS needs to make back on a game sold at retail for $60, many persons just try the gamepass games and leave it at, gamepass is not big enough to rely on a huge payday from DLC or monetization, not even close......

Something like gamepass may be successful in the future, but only when all device markets are penetrated with great content, gamepass is not close to being that in it's current state...

I mean, I already knew you were full of it, but this is just another example.

You don’t know anyone “sharing GamePass” let alone across multiple consoles because GamePass can’t be shared. Only Gold/Game Library can.

But don’t let the truth get in the way of your shilling.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I love how every one of these threads completely ignores that PS Now existed for years before Gamepass. Here is a question for you OP, when do you think Microsoft will allow PS Now on Xbox?

All those threads are made by the same xbox fanboys.

Dude...go play some games. You look desperate like most xfans atm....

Last edited:

Sparda

Banned
Don't you just love it when they have a JP game avatar to go along with bashing Sony?

Net neutrality is dead in U.S. It's only time until the other ISPs follow Comcast. Enjoy your data caps with 4k game streaming.
A shitty one. they are like religious extremist. they promote microsoft all the day without taking money lol what a waste of time.

Shin

Banned
Sony is a very proud company and it constantly gets the best of them, they rather go down with the ship (figure of speech) than roll with the times.

Do people purposely just make stupid threads for flamebait or are they really that stupid?

Dumbest thread of the week.... maybe even month.

Klondyke

Banned
I'll just say this. I am not buying any Sony consoles, or games until they have a similar service, with ALL 1st party Games day 1, for a monthly fee.

HeresJohnny

I think it’s because they aren’t having problems selling systems or games so they just don’t give a shit. And they’re right not to; why fix what’s working?

EssKayZee

1. GamePass/XCloud will never come to PS or Nintendo consoles unless MS somehow decides to go third party which I highly doubt.

2. Main purpose of Gamepass/Xcloud is not to kill/destroy the competition but to expand the prospective customer base beyond consoles and PC, and to lower the cost of entry into their ecosystem to attract the masses. From there, they can work on converting those masses into buying their consoles.

3. In future, every one of the big three (although I'm a bit skeptical about Nintendo's approach right now) will have their own solutions to target a larger userbase. In fact, both Microsoft and Sony already have their basic solutions ready and primed. They really just have to expand on it.

The industry will sure become a lot more interesting with the inclusion of Google and Amazon, although personally, I don't like their inclusion. Big three are enough. More will just oversaturare the market.

Bagofdicks

Neo Member

Must be a regional thing. I have comcast unfortunately as it's really the only option where I am and I dont have data caps or slowdowns and my house uses massive amounts of data every month

cryptoadam

Banned
It would be kinda interesting if those services were on PS4. Imagine Sony saying play Spiderman+ Last of US 2 and Sea of Thieves+Forza+Gears of War all on PS4.

The question would actually be why would MS want Gamepass on the PS4 when that would essentially mean no more XBOX sold.

Aintitcool

Banned
Do you know PSNow exists and lets you download PS4 games as well as stream play them while they download? Or that PS+ originated the concept of free games for a monthly fee before it became the online service?

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I love how everyone speaks about xCloud as if it is real. The only console maker with a streaming service is Sony and most of you have made fun it of for years, but now everyone is on the hype train for MS vaporware?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I see people are still taking Phils "gamepass on every device" statement out of context. He's not talking about the PS4 OP.

Agreed. But at the same time, these "journalists" that throw softballs in interviews that really just amount to an extension of PR, need to stop when he says that, ask him to elaborate by asking the tough questions, and not allow phrases like that to be coopted for limited use in a PR mindshare brigade. The word "everything" does have a meaning, and it is not a "limited" one.

Last edited:
Agreed. But at the same time, these "journalists" that throw softballs in interviews that really just amount to an extension of PR, need to stop when he says that, ask him to elaborate by asking the tough questions, and not allow phrases like that to be coopted for limited use in a PR mindshare brigade. The word "everything" does have a meaning, and it is not a "limited" one.

Half the game press is too busy giving EA credit for Battle Filed V while not buying it to ask Phil any questions.

quickwhips

Microsoft is not and never was planning on putting GamePass/xCloud on PlayStation.

There’s a reason Phil always uses the word “devices” and not “platforms”.

At MOST, you may get it on Switch in Japan only so they don’t have to bother selling consoles nobody wants there.

I mean, I already knew you were full of it, but this is just another example.

You don’t know anyone “sharing GamePass” let alone across multiple consoles because GamePass can’t be shared. Only Gold/Game Library can.

But don’t let the truth get in the way of your shilling.
He is full of some shit but you can share game pass like you share you game share purchases now as I do this. It’s just not more than one person.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
He is full of some shit but you can share game pass like you share you game share purchases now as I do this. It’s just not more than one person.

I currently share with my brother.

He can't access any of the GamePass stuff even though his console is set as mine.

He can access all my purchases and all my Games With Gold, but he can't access any of my GamePass stuff.

I love how everyone speaks about xCloud as if it is real. The only console maker with a streaming service is Sony and most of you have made fun it of for years, but now everyone is on the hype train for MS vaporware?

lol, vapourware. Sure mate.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I currently share with my brother.

He can't access any of the GamePass stuff even though his console is set as mine.

He can access all my purchases and all my Games With Gold, but he can't access any of my GamePass stuff.
I don’t know what to tell you. My brother pays for gamepass. I have my console as his home and as me I can install any gamepass game.

The Alien

Banned
I think Sony will do a version of Game Pass.

The interesting thing will be if they pit their exclusives on there day and date like Microsoft does. No doubt exclusives are their crown jewel.

I would see sony doing 2 tiers: standard and a higher tier that includes their exclusives.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Which(no offense) sucks ass. Not the same quality tier. More than likely won't be next gen either.

Excuse me, but has MS's streaming game technology been launched yet? Last I read public trials will only begin next year.

If so I think you're jumping the gun massively by making statements like that. Got any evidence to prove why it should be so superior? I mean objectively it *HAS* to be a software solution on the client side, because the entire notion of platform agnosticism is reliant on that. So any "special sauce" in whatever the discless hardware sku offers to lower latency, cannot be guaranteed to be present in other non-MS devices. Hence suggesting its going to be magically "better" than everything else, on everything else, for years to come seems utterly baseless to me.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Excuse me, but has MS's streaming game technology been launched yet? Last I read public trials will only begin next year.

If so I think you're jumping the gun massively by making statements like that. Got any evidence to prove why it should be so superior? I mean objectively it *HAS* to be a software solution on the client side, because the entire notion of platform agnosticism is reliant on that. So any "special sauce" in whatever the discless hardware sku offers to lower latency, cannot be guaranteed to be present in other non-MS devices. Hence suggesting its going to be magically "better" than everything else, on everything else, for years to come seems utterly baseless to me.
Well, considering the fact that PS Now is a substandard service and that MS has invested billions into Azure services for years, are established world wide and is currently ranked among the top Cloud services in the world -- then when you realize that Sony doesnt have the capital to invest as heavily into Cloud, nor do they own any kind of Cloud service of their own and the service they are using is not as competent as the rest of the major players in Cloud industry, my bet is that Sony will offer some kind of answer to Cloud next gen. However, based on history it wont compare to X Cloud - even if it they slap the "Cloud" title on it.

I'll say it again, Sony may have brought a plethora of SP gaming experiences this gen that are second to none. But they arent known to push any kind of real forward thinking when it comes to bringing new technology into the gaming community that pushes the industry forward. It's just not their bag....AT ALL. They'll give the Sony fans what they want with Cloud, but because each service carries the same name, it doesnt mean it's of the same quality. I and many others expect the same to be said next generation as well.

And I'll take a ban bet that whatever Sony brings in Cloud, X CLoud will be a superior service, regardless of latency.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I really hope you don't mean it when you say "always be dominant"?
He/she meant it. And its a bold, bold claim. No one is guaranteed to dominate.

And I still find it funny how people just pretend that what Microsoft is currently doing in light of next gen amounts to "nothing special". I still think Sony will probably do well next gen too. But it wont be like this gen - not by a country mile. And there's two years left to go. We all know Sony wont be sitting on their hands until next gen, but clearly Microsoft isnt either.

Top Bottom