• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is a sealed copy of Zelda OoT worth so much?

abasm

I can understand the appeal. Buy a sealed game, place it in a nice glass case, perhaps only taking it out if you have the opportunity to get it signed by one of the creators. (Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Kondo come to mind.)

I wouldn't do it unless I were stinking rich, though. Just lousy with cash.

Because listing things on ebay is incredibly cheap and if one person is suckered into paying a price like that more than worth it. Ebay prices aren't necessarily reflective of reality.
I know, I was just trying to point out it's fairly common to find sealed games, even common games, massively over-priced on ebay.

Of course, they're only over-priced if no one buys them.

I'm kind of surprised that the OoT posted is for an actual auction, so however it ends will be a useful benchmark for how much sealed copies should go for. Auctions, on ebay! Who knew that still happened?

Linkhero1

Sealed games tend to be worth more regardless of what game it is. I buy sealed games so I can open them and feel the nostalgia and smell the new game smell. You know that smell. Then I resell them.

Downhome

I sold an ungraded, sealed Mario 64 for, if I remember correctly, $350 last year. I get why someone would pay it, but I would never do it.

Come to think of it, I have a sealed copy of Dead Space 2!

Actually, under the category of "games I just never bothered to open", the one most likely to become valuable is Game & Watch Collection 2 from Club Nintendo. And even that's iffy.

I'm kind of surprised that the OoT posted is for an actual auction, so however it ends will be a useful benchmark for how much sealed copies should go for. Auctions, on ebay! Who knew that still happened?

For real. I was pleasantly surprised, too.

*gets sealed Urban Yeti! graded as a joke

fernoca

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-Zeld...277117&po=LWI&ps=63&clkid=7586225153313446630

Are people buying this just to display it? You'd think the constant ports and ROMs would make it worthless
Collection, plus as noted already the posteriors re-releases and ports had:
-The islamic-chant from the Fire Temple-song removed
-Gannondorf's red-blood at the end, changed to green
-Other symbols throughout the game changed

So, not only they're getting a fully/sealed original release of the game, but also one version that can't be officially acquired through any other legal means.

Collection, plus as noted already the posteriors re-releases and ports had:
-The islamic-chant from the Fire Temple-song removed
-Gannondorf's red-blood at the end, changed to green
-Other symbols throughout the game changed

So, not only they're getting a fully/sealed original/release of the game, but also one version that can't be officially acquired through any other legal means.

That changes nothing, because the original version still sells at specialty stores for $15 tops, and a fiver if you're lucky at a pawn shop or garage sale.

I have an
un
sealed copy of this...

IFYgG.jpg

...but it still seems sells for 4 times it initial value. Hooray.

Kazzy

I've never understood this part of the collector mentality, why would you want to keep something sealed? Apart from being one of those cold types who simply grab this sort of stuff just to sell it on later, what purpose does it serve?

People should enjoy stuff like this, not playing it kind of defeats the pointif you ask me.

Ah, I manged to find it, this video pretty much sums it up better than I could:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxXA3o-zYw

fernoca

That changes nothing, because the original version still sells at specialty stores for $15 tops, and a fiver if you're lucky at a pawn shop or garage sale.
Of course there are other versions and different prices too, but in this case is the version that they want to pay for. Since there are gold cartridges out there with some of the changes already in place; a "collector" is looking to make sure he owns an original and in this case without fear of some changes.

The same eBay sells others similar versions, and gold cartridges for less than $586; yet as a collector item they rather pay for that one.

Seik

Banned
Kinda off topic, but here's my case.

I had a luck on a Rockman 8 sealed copy for Saturn on Ebay for 40$ a year ago.

I was not sure at first but it really is an original sealed copy. The funny part is that used copies are selling for over 60$.

pFBfp.jpg

The thing is that I never managed to find another sealed copy on Ebay the see how high the price would end up. So still today, I have no idea about the value of my game, anybody here knows?

Dishwalla

Banned
I have a sealed NES Anniversary Edition Game Boy Advance SP back at home. Got it from a co-worker several years back. It's tucked away in a box in the back of the closet shelf, waiting for that one day to come where I finally decide to sell it. I check on the prices from time to time, and they keep going up(one on eBay right now for $1299).

olimpia84

I have a sealed copy of MGS4 for the PS3 (the regular edition not greatest hits). I wonder if someday I'll be able to make some decent money out of it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Kinda off topic, but here's my case.

I had a luck on a Rockman 8 sealed copy for Saturn on Ebay for 40$ a year ago.

I was not sure at first but it really is an original sealed copy. The funny part is that used copies are selling for over 60$.

http://i.imgur.com/pFBfp.jpg[IMG]

The thing is that I never managed to find another sealed copy on Ebay the see how high the price would end up. So still today, I have no idea about the value of my game, anybody here knows?[/QUOTE]

it goes for $30-35 complete not sure about sealed would doubt more then $60

KorrZ

I was honestly expecting to see it up for more than that...tempting at that price! The reason it goes for so much is simple OP, because you can't just go into a store and find a sealed copy. There are only so many around in the world at this point. Of course it's mainly for collection purposes, I personally am too weak to keep my games unopened in my collection but you just have to think about it like how some people have first edition comics never opened and stuff.

Because many rose-tinted goggles people view it as a holy grail of games. Which I don't get playing it for the first time a year ago. Felt dated, slow, boring, and easy. It did have some nice music though. If it was an unopened ALttP I would justify a high price. Same for FF6 unopened.

A 14 year old game felt dated when you played it a year ago....Hmm, I wonder why. Every third person action adventure game has iterated on OOT's formula since then, of course it feels a little dated after everyone else has iterated on it for over a decade.

smurfx

get some go again
i've never understood why people give a damn about sealed copies of games. much worse is getting the producer of the game to sign it and then think it makes it worth more. you will probably get more money with just the sealed copy than the copy with a worthless signature on it.

A14 year old game felt dated when you played it a year ago....Hmm, I wonder why. Every third person action adventure game has iterated on OOT's formula since then, of course it feels a little dated after everyone else has iterated on it for over a decade.
the game did not age well imo. a link to the past will forever be good and its still my top 3 of all time.

People pay lots of money to collect rare items, especially items of historical and/or personal significance. A sealed copy of a 14 year old game is rare. Ergo, that's why a sealed copy of the most-hyped Zelda game in the series is worth so much.

KorrZ

the game did not age well imo. a link to the past will forever be good and its still my top 3 of all time.

I disagree. I replay OOT quite frequently and it holds up pretty damn well. ALTTP is a lot harder to go back to if you didn't play it back in the day.

Dishwalla

Banned
People pay lots of money to collect rare items, especially items of historical and/or personal significance.

Yeah, I used to collect Hot Wheels cars, and some of those little cars that cost a dollar can go for quite a bit more than that over time. Granted, there haven't been very many ultra valuable models for a while, but there's a white Chevy Camaro from 1995 that's worth several hundred dollars at the least.

Carnby

If it's sealed and never to be open, how do you know the game's actually inside and somebody didn't just fill it with a weight and then shrink-wrap it? When I got the GameCube the Christmas of 2001, I was excited to play Rogue Leader... Only to find some fucker at Toys 'R Us had swapped out the disk, replaced it with the preview mini-CD Nintendo had been distributing in Nintendo Power, and re-shrink-wrapped it, lol.

That's why it is VGA graded. VGA knows what the original plastic seal looks like.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Every time I'm reminded of how much a sealed copy of the original Final Fantasy goes for it makes me depressed that I bought one in like 1995 for $5, thought about keeping it sealed, but opened it anyway :(

Why are all the sealed classic games protected with the same plastic case and the same black label on the top of them detailing the item?

Are these all from the same selling group?

abasm

Why are all the sealed classic games protected with the same plastic case and the same black label on the top of them detailing the item?

Are these all from the same selling group?

howitworks.gif

The same rating group. The plastic case keeps it from getting messed up in shipping.

howitworks.gif

The same rating group. The plastic case keeps it from getting messed up in shipping.

More than that, once it's been put in the case it can't be reopened without breaking the case they sealed it in. The point of the VGA is to have a standard scale to grade it, then be sure that the condition never changes because you can't get to it.

GloveSlap

Damn I sold a sealed gold Ocarina back in 2006 and only got like $250 for it. It was absolutely flawless too. I used to have a ton of sealed games because I could tell they were going to be collectible back then so I bought extras when they were still in retail stores. Most of that stuff I bought at clearance prices too.

It sucks that I had to sell it all when i needed money. The stuff was worth a a lot of money 5 years ago, but it seems to be worth quite a bit more now.

Cloudy

Banned
I wonder if this would be worth doing with my copies of Lunar. I don't want to sell them but the boxes can wear down lol

smurfx

get some go again
haha the oot master quest disc is worth like 70 bucks brand new? good thing i got a sealed copy in some drawer. nice investment if i ever sell it since i bought it for 1 cent.

I wonder if this would be worth doing with my copies of Lunar. I don't want to sell them but the boxes can wear down lol

If they're sealed you should have them graded regardless of whether or not you plan to ever sell them. They'll be protected and you'd get more for them if you wanted to.

Top Bottom