• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is a sealed copy of Zelda OoT worth so much?

Cloudy

Banned
If they're sealed you should have them graded regardless of whether or not you plan to ever sell them. They'll be protected and you'd get more for them if you wanted to.

They're not sealed. I was under the impression that VGA grades opened games too. Am I wrong?

They're not sealed. I was under the impression that VGA grades opened games too. Am I wrong?

They do, but you have to have that done specially. For those games it'd probably be more to have them graded than it's worth, but you can buy the cases from them separately.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Are you saying only people with nostalgia like it? I first played it just under two years ago and it's probably my favorite game of all time.

Care to state why? The game is really really really dated mechanics wise. So many games do the sames things it does but better. What games of the same genre have you played, and how does it beat out them.

GloveSlap

To put collectible games into some perspective just think of them like old comic books or baseball cards.

Old comics are worth a lot because they weren't meant to be collected so most were thrown away or are in terrible condition. Comics from the 80s to now aren't worth shit because tons of people started collecting them and kept them in good condition.

Videogames from the 80s and 90s weren't made to be collectible so few were kept in really good condition, and even fewer were kept sealed. Vintage games were a big part of growing up for a huge number of people that are getting older now, so demand is pretty big. And like any collectible, the better condition, the better the value.

abasm

Videogames from the 80s and 90s weren't made to be collectible so few were kept in really good condition, and even fewer were kept sealed. Vintage games were a big part of growing up for a huge number of people that are getting older now, so demand is pretty big. And like any collectible, the better condition, the better the value.

The rapid deterioration of cardboard boxes is a major factor. Once they started selling games in hard plastic cases, (starting with the Genesis, I think) they became a lot easier to preserve by simply being careful.

Nowadays, if I get any games (or systems) that come in cardboard boxes or sleeves, I make sure to store all of the packaging somewhere safe. It usually bumps up the resale value by at least 50%.

Carnby

Damn I sold a sealed gold Ocarina back in 2006 and only got like $250 for it. It was absolutely flawless too. I used to have a ton of sealed games because I could tell they were going to be collectible back then so I bought extras when they were still in retail stores. Most of that stuff I bought at clearance prices too.

It sucks that I had to sell it all when i needed money. The stuff was worth a a lot of money 5 years ago, but it seems to be worth quite a bit more now.

Don't feel bad. The one of the reasons the copy in question is valued so high is because it is VGA graded. Having a game VGA graded doubles the value.

GloveSlap

Don't feel bad. The one of the reasons the copy in question is valued so high is because it is VGA graded. Having a game VGA graded doubles the value.

Yeah, but I would have definitely had a bunch of my stuff graded if that had been around back then. The Ocarina I had was the definition of mint, I might have been able to get a grade of 100 or very close.

Carnby

Yeah, but I would have definitely had a bunch of my stuff graded if that had been around back then. The Ocarina I had was the definition of mint, I might have been able to get a grade of 100 or very close.

It could be worse. Last year I sold a mint/sealed copy of Spy vs. Spy (Xbox) for a mere dollar. I had no idea it was worth so much... :'(

Jimrpg

I have a sealed copy of shadow of the colossus collector's edition on PS2 still that will probably stay sealed for all of eternity, seeing as I have the PS3 version now. I can't bring myself to open it!

I buy games and then leave them unopened until I'm ready to play... one reason I don't really buy full priced games anymore because usually they just sit there collecting dust.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-Zeld...277117&po=LWI&ps=63&clkid=7586225153313446630

Are people buying this just to display it? You'd think the constant ports and ROMs would make it worthless

No I wouldn't, because I understand why things are considered valuable.

I have a sealed copy of shadow of the colossus collector's edition on PS2 still that will probably stay sealed for all of eternity, seeing as I have the PS3 version now. I can't bring myself to open it!

I buy games and then leave them unopened until I'm ready to play... one reason I don't really buy full priced games anymore because usually they just sit there collecting dust.

Buying games before you can even play them is an awful habit. Glad you've broken out of it.

Garou

While I myself once had a small habit of keeping games in perfect or sealed condition, I ended he habit after not gaining any joy out of it anymore.

Hoarding sealed games is like dating virgins without making a move :p

Carnby

I didn't even know there was a collector's edition. What did it come with?

Collection, plus as noted already the posteriors re-releases and ports had:
-The islamic-chant from the Fire Temple-song removed
-Gannondorf's red-blood at the end, changed to green
-Other symbols throughout the game changed

So, not only they're getting a fully/sealed original release of the game, but also one version that can't be officially acquired through any other legal means.

The Fire Temple song wasn't altered until version 1.2, and the symbols weren't changed until the GCN re-releases (OoT/MQ). Also, what do you mean that there's one version that can't be acquired through other legal means?

The real reason for the high price is that finding a sealed copy is rare, especially one in good condition. It's all about scarcity and who's in the market for such a thing. I can't tell you how much money I've spent collecting Zelda stuff like this, but I've learned with each new release to just pony up the extra cash to buy a second copy to keep sealed while it's still at MSRP rather than paying a lot more for it down the road. Ocarina of Time doesn't even command the highest price for a sealed copy of a Zelda game. If you're going by ones "verified" by that service, and not random listings claiming to be of sealed copies, then that honor still belongs to the original first print editions of The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past.

Cranzor

Care to state why? The game is really really really dated mechanics wise. So many games do the sames things it does but better. What games of the same genre have you played, and how does it beat out them.

I don't really see any of the mechanics as dated. The only thing that I can think of that is kind of clunky is switching to iron boots in the water temple, and even that isn't that bad. What mechanics do you see as dated? Also, the genre question is kind of tough since it's kind of broad. By genre, do you mean other third person action games? I'm not sure which genre Ocarina of Time fits into.

ive got loads of sealed games. If i buy them at a good price and theyre sealed then i wont open them. I have a CIB SNES Metroid which is prolly worth an ok amount. Got loads of sealed Saturn/Dreamcast/3DO games.

But to me its the carts that are worth the most. paying top $ for a CD just doesnt feel right. A meaty AES Cart actually feels worth it.

I love my sealed copy of Shaq Fu on Genesis (Y)

fernoca

The Fire Temple song wasn't altered until version 1.2, and the symbols weren't changed until the GCN re-releases (OoT/MQ). Also, what do you mean that there's one version that can't be acquired through other legal means?
Kinda related to the original/main post wondering about the game been constantly ported. Since no version they've released for years and that they might re-release again will have said song and/or said "red blood". So, for some people..the original/cartridge version new or used, is the only "legal way" to play it.

Omega

Banned
Because many rose-tinted goggles people view it as a holy grail of games. Which I don't get playing it for the first time a year ago. Felt dated, slow, boring, and easy. It did have some nice music though. If it was an unopened ALttP I would justify a high price. Same for FF6 unopened.

I really hope this was a joke.

"Hey guys? What's up with this hype about this game? I mean sure it's 2011 and this game came out in 1999, but it feels really old. It's not as fluid as [insert a bunch of 2010-2011 games]"

AlexBasch

So it's most a "sealed, unopened" expensive thing rather than it being a rare game by itself, right? I reckon Earthbound being a rare, scarce game but not OoT.

very low damage copy of a game that will forever be a part of the industry's history.
Still, I had no idea it was "$1500" expensive, wow.

EDIT: Collector's Edition is a plus, from the thumbnail I thought it was a standard edition, figures.

Kinda related to the original/main post wondering about the game been constantly ported. Since no version they've released for years and that they might re-release again will have said song and/or said "red blood". So, for some people..the original/cartridge version new or used, is the only "legal way" to play it.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the discussion of why an unopened copy of the game is now 100 times the price of an unopened one.

So it's most a "sealed, unopened" expensive thing rather than it being a rare game by itself, right? I reckon Earthbound being a rare, scarce game but not OoT.

It's more of a "sealed, unopened, very low damage copy of a game that will forever be a part of the industry's history."

MisterHero

If I had the money I'd just buy the sealed games so I could enjoy a brand new game for myself. It's an expensive alternative to buying used, but it's a good reason.

Still, I think it's a few decades early for some games (even OoT) to go for more than a couple hundred dollars.

Arcade machines with original parts should be the thing now.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Because many rose-tinted goggles people view it as a holy grail of games. Which I don't get playing it for the first time a year ago. Felt dated, slow, boring, and easy. It did have some nice music though. If it was an unopened ALttP I would justify a high price. Same for FF6 unopened.

Worst opinion ever?

Many just replayed it or played it for the first time on the 3DS.

It is the opposite of dated, the game holds up to an amost eerie level.

oatmeal

Banned
I have TWO copies of Ocarina of Time sealed*

And I have a copy of the Twilight Princess on GC sealed.

* As a part of the Collector's Disk. I have three copies, two sealed.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I bought Pokémon FireRed for $115 a few hours ago, SEALED.
I consider this reasonable, as every other copy in the world has been tainted with human filth not of my own.

HylianTom

Banned
I love sealed Zelda games. One day soon, I'll be building a house and having a proper Nintendo Room included in the floorplan. In that room, aside from the TV/recliner/surround sound system, I'll have places for displaying those sealed games. Zappers mounted on felt plaques on the wall in the style of dueling pistols, one orange and one gray. Framed posters of characters and maps of my favorite games. Shelves lined with figurines. A bookcase with magazines, books, guides. A mini-refrigerator full of sodas and junk food. It's gonna be quite the thing to behold. :)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I can get a sealed version of Final Fantasy VIII for $15, but none care too much.

I can get a sealed version of Final Fantasy VIII for $15, but none care too much.

Sealed copies of Final Fantasy Origins, Chronicles, Anthology, VIII, and IX all on PSX are still easy to come by. The indie store I run routinely gets shipments of all of these games.

Carnby

That's why. If it were VII we were talking about, it would be a different story.

Sealed copies of Final Fantasy Origins, Chronicles, Anthology, VIII, and IX all on PSX are still easy to come by. The indie store I run routinely gets shipments of all of these games.

Those games were reprinted. You can still by them brand new on the square website. But those were reprinted on non-black discs.

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.123846000

SMT

That's why. If it were VII we were talking about, it would be a different story.

Those games were reprinted. You can still by them brand new on the square website. But those were reprinted on non-black discs.

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.123846000

Yeah, but why aren't they reprinting the PC versions of VII and VIII?
So annoying to see them so severely over-priced.
PSX versions can go bite the dust.

I have an unopened and still wrapped copy of Final Fantasy X-2.
If I were to sell it I wouldn't even THINK about charging more than 40$ for it. It's a fucking game, damn, it makes no difference to me if it's shrink wrapped or used and in mint condition. And I say that as a games collector myself.

It's awful enough that people sell cartridge-only copies of EarthBound for 150$ or more. Sealed copies go for over a thousand bucks on eBay. WHO THE HELL IS WILLING TO PAY THAT?! It's not like the game is extremely rare or something.
Same with other SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III(VI) and Super Mario RPG.

I sure am glad that I got EarthBound, FFII, FFIII and SMRPG for ~30-40$ each a few years ago (~20-30€ in PAL money).

All these "collector's prices" are usury. They're artificially inflated to hell and back.

EDIT: And if you think about it: With the rise of the Wii and 3DS Virtual Consoles, as well as the PS1 classics on PSN (and I guess PS2 games are available now, too?) these prices should have dropped like a stone in water. But somehow that just makes them even MORE valuable. These prices are as illogical as gasoline prices.

Yeah, but why aren't they reprinting the PC versions of VII and VIII?
So annoying to see them so severely over-priced.
PSX versions can go bite the dust.

Aren't the PSX versions just all around better? FFVII's FMV has a habit of playing upside down, and when I played FFVIII the FMV skipped. I actually entered the series with the PC versions.

Aren't the PSX versions just all around better? FFVII's FMV has a habit of playing upside down, and when I played FFVIII the FMV skipped. I actually entered the series with the PC versions.

I have FF7 and 8 for both the PS1 and PC.
Both games play just fine, although the PC versions need a bit of tweaking to run correctly on my PC.
I had non of the problems you mentioned.
FF7's upside-down FMVs were mostly a codec problem. I never had skipping FMVs in FF8.
I had a graphical error or two, but that was way back when and it doesn't occur anymore.

People like to think that the PC versions of these games are...I dunno, the PAL version of Kizuna Encounter, except they aren't. There aren't as much copies for the PC, yes, but that doesn't mean the games are rare.
In cases like the aforementioned PAL version of Kizuna Encounter the horrendous prices MAY be reasonable as there are only 11 or so known copies of this particular version.
But a game like Zelda OoT which not only sold MILLIONS but also still has ten thousands of copies flying around anywhere to have such a horrendous price tag of 1,500$ is just utter horseshit.

I am ranting. I will stop now.

GZ!

I'll let my good friend Ogre field this question:

PlbQ1.jpg

NEEEERRRRRRRRDDDDDDSSSS!!!

I really LOL'd

sphinx

the piano man
that auction being from Hong Kong... I would have avoided that like the plague.

Anyway, I have a sealed GCN twilight princess copy, I wonder if it will ever get some decent value.

Edit= I just checked brand new ebay copies and It sells for around $60.00

I guess I have to wait at least 5 more years for it to reach the $200, if ever.. not like have anything better to do with that copy

Top Bottom