• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Captain Falcon so different in SSB than in F-Zero?

From what I can tell, he's more of the calm, cool, silent type in the FZ series, yet in SSB he's a badass falcon punching hyper-active extreme dude.

What a strange twist on a character, and to me, he's more known as such from the SSB games than F-Zero, I will admit (puts up shield) I haven't played much of the series so perhaps he does show signs of such, but I swear he's not the same character personality-wise in the FZ games.

His iconic abilities also seem to have debuted in the SSB series as well.

I think Falcon's SSB self should be taken to a new level via a beat-em-up by Kamiya/Platinum on Wii U, to me this just works on so many levels.

So am I correct in what I said above about him being different between the two series?

Richie

When the first Smash debuted, they only had the SNES and N64 games to go by. I don't recall Falcon exhibiting much personality in the actual games, despite what the instruction manuals would state.

MisterHero

He's powerful only when he needs to be ;P

Sakurai designed him to represent the feel of how he would be seen in an F-Zero race. Really fast, powerful boosting, and made for crashing into his enemies.

Smash Bros. Falcon isn't in calm bounty hunting mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJn69FgEko

There's more than one Captain Falcon. The anime is not canon to the games, but this fact remains the same in both.
Rick Wheeler IS NOT Douglas J. Falcon

Sakurai designed him to represent the feel of how he would be seen in an F-Zero race. Really fast, powerful boosting, and made for crashing into his enemies.

I'm FullMetal and I approve this post.

Smash Bros is the series most people were introduced to him. I dont remember him or any other characters in f-zero. Weren't they just little images on the select screen on the Snes?

Its crazy that people think he is the face of F-Zero now.

If they changed the personality of our favorite pilot wings character.. you know the one I'm talking about, then Id find it weird.

MisterHero

Smash Bros is the series most people were introduced to him. I dont remember him or any other characters in f-zero. Weren't they just little images on the select screen on the Snes?

Its crazy that people think he is the face of F-Zero now.
He was fairly unknown in the SNES game, but he appeared in the comic in the game's manual. He and all the characters got a bit more exposure in F-Zero X and even had a clone.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
holy crap, I just realized this - apparently the internet has known about it for a while...

falcondredd.jpg

Xav

Better question: Why is Captain Falcon SO FUCKIN' TERRIBLE IN BRAWL!?!?

To be honest I think the gameplay in Brawl is pretty terrible, it feels like Melee was too hardcore so they decided to tone everything down. Hopefully Namco's involvement makes Smash Bros 4 more of a fighter with depth and less of a "party fighter".

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Well of course. As I was saying, the anime version of F-Zero is not canon to the games, and Rick or Ryo or whatever does not exist in the game universe. But the idea remains the same that there is more than one Captain Falcon.

The closest we'll get to know to this Falcon's personality is in F-Zero GX, though he always reminded me sort of like a blander racing Batman in that game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFHjOk7FzQ

NeonZ

From what I can tell, he's more of the calm, cool, silent type in the FZ series, yet in SSB he's a badass falcon punching hyper-active extreme dude.

What a strange twist on a character, and to me, he's more known as such from the SSB games than F-Zero, I will admit (puts up shield) I haven't played much of the series so perhaps he does show signs of such, but I swear he's not the same character personality-wise in the FZ games.

I'd mostly blame the divergence on F-Zero GX. C.Falcon had a brief comic and some backstory, but, really, everything was very minimal. He basically received a character in Smash Bros before his own series, but then GX just completely ignored what Smash Bros had done with him.

Also, the whole "Xtreme" thing likely was based on the whole graphical style of the illustrations and also soundtrack of F-Zero X. Although Sega kept the designs untouched for GX, GX overall had a very different atmosphere.

Richie

To be honest I think the gameplay in Brawl is pretty terrible, it feels like Melee was too hardcore so they decided to tone everything down. Hopefully Namco's involvement makes Smash Bros 4 more of a fighter with depth and less of a "party fighter".

Part of Melee's genius, IMHO, is that it could be played both ways no problem. You wanted mindless fun with the friends in wacky scenarios and items by the dozens? Ye got it. Did your current mood prefer a more deep fighter with all sort of techniques and combos that relied entirely on your own skills? Also available.
One style shouldn't have to be sacrificed for the other to exist.

Takao

Banned
Smash Bros can have Captain Falcon, Super Sonic and Sometimes SEGA Racing can have Danica Patrick, why can't PlayStation All-Stars have GT5 Jeff Gordon?

I don't know how you pick up on any kind of personality from anyone in an F-Zero game.

Whatever he does in Smash Bros is probably the developers making shit up, 'cause they don't have much to go on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IIRC when making Smash they said they had to take liberties to make the character interesting and give him some actual character. The source material just didn't have enough there, but for some reason they really wanted him (or more likely, they really wanted an F-Zero rep).

That said, when transitioning characters from non-fighting game franchises to fighting game franchises, often you do have to take some liberties here and there when it comes to creating moves and often that means adding a lot to the character and his/her personality, especially if the source material isn't well suited to fighting exactly.

EvB

I remember the Black Bull in F-Zero GX being a total bastard to beat in the final stage of Story Mode V.Hard.
Now I just imagine him to be a bastard

We need a "Falcon"-game in which the singleplayer campaign is 50% F-zero racing and 50% Falcon beat-em-up 2d scroller.
Throw in F-zero racing/2d beat-em-up as two multiplayer modes.

Better question: Why is the latest F-Zero game nearly ten years old?

Because there's nothing Nintendo can do with the franchise to keep it fresh.

Lol don't point your gun at me, Miyamoto said it himself yesterday. Cuz 2D Mario games are totally fresh y'know.

EvB

We need a "Falcon"-game in which the singleplayer campaign is 50% F-zero racing and 50% Falcon beat-em-up 2d scroller.

How about a Falcon VS Phoenix Wright game?

They both have associations with flaming birds, sounds like a match made in heaven.

You could being trying to send Falcon down for DUI or for domestic abuse

TreIII

As interesting as the entire roster is, the F-Zero characters could easily carry their own, perhaps more "traditional" fighting game roster. Hell, you even got guys like Leon who wanted to take up wrestling, much like his fellow Fray Tormenta expy (re: Tekken's King).

I'm almost surprised that they didn't get the Tekken crew from Namco to make such a game like that first...

BD1

Banned
The F-Zero franchise would have been better off if Capt. Falcon had been an extreme dude cartoon character the whole time.

Top Bottom