• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is film snobbery so openly tolerated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTripper

I liked The Martian more than Gravity AND Interstellar!

tumblr_inline_nifs64o7TK1sjspza.gif

Zolo

I don't think Birdman is shitty, but it definitely got more praise than it deserved. In a world without any snobbery, nobody would have heard of it.

This goes for music, literature, food, television... We need snobs to give artistically profound work the attention they deserve! If not for film snobs, I would have never seen Aguirre, Man With a Movie Camera, Once Upon a Time in America, Amelie, Touch of Evil, etc...

Can't you enjoy those films and be able to explain why they're so good compared to others without being a snob about it though?

Monocle

It's a real problem. Also, if you think Mad Max: Fury Road is a bad film, you're objectively wrong and should feel bad.

Seriously though, watch more things and learn more things if you can't recognize greatness.

Can't you enjoy those films and be able to explain why they're so good compared to others without being a snob about it though?

Sure you can.

The problem is that someone's going to call you snob for it even if you're being cool about how and why you like the thing you like. Because if you're even going to start calling someone a snob because they show they can actually discern the quality of things and appreciate things on various levels, it's because you're not really interested in discussing the movie itself, you're interested in using the movie as a means to let other people know what assholes they are for not thinking the way you do.

It's how you minimize someone's opinion without having to actually address it. You just write them off as a person instead of simply disagreeing with the opinion (which is actually easier than coming up with reasons to dislike someone over a movie)

Snobbery, i.e. arbitrarily looking down on people because their likes/dislikes don't align with yours, is silly.

But if you assume that anyone who tries to employ more critical distance and objectivity in appraising films is a snob, well, that's on you.

jtb

Banned
What? If anything, I would argue film is the least snob-y and insular of a lot of art forms. There's a huge amount of room for populist art to not just succeed commercially but critically, as well (Nolan, Marvel, etc.).

Bruh if I start hating The Avengers I'm going to blame you.

One day you're going to be watching it and everything I complain about will click.

It's really hard to not sound like a snob when you're explaining why something doesn't work for you.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to avoid introspection, dude.

Catching feelings.

Most of the people in the film thread know I am not serious.

Valhelm

contribute something

I guess so, but I think most snobbery is unintentional. A lot of really ground-breaking art sounds like absolute shit to the uninitiated, and trying to explain why it's artistically more impressive than something pleasant but simple always comes off as condescending.

A snob is anybody who appreciates quality but can't properly express that appreciation.

If you like a bad movie I will tell you about how your movie is bad. I don't have the highest standards, either. But there are a lot of shit movies that I will mock as such in the world.

Zolo

Sure you can.

The problem is that someone's going to call you snob for it even if you're being cool about how and why you like the thing you like. Because if you're even going to start calling someone a snob because they show they can actually discern the quality of things and appreciate things on various levels, it's because you're not really interested in discussing the movie itself, you're interested in using the movie as a means to let other people know what assholes they are for not thinking the way you do.

It's how you minimize someone's opinion without having to actually address it. You just write them off as a person instead of simply disagreeing with the opinion (which is actually easier than coming up with reasons to dislike someone over a movie)

Makes sense as far as internet arguments go. I always took a snob more as someone who can't fathom why someone could enjoy something that's quality-wise worse than something that's better quality-wise who would often belittle people for that. Personally, I usually have two lists for this sort of thing for whatever media.

Media I like/enjoy best:
Media I think is actually the best:

Bronx-Man

Banned
IMO, a snob is someone who has to constantly shit on the films someone else likes instead of spending time championing the movies they like.

big ander

honestly the key really is to just stop giving a shit. Or, more accurately, allow yourself to only give as much of a shit as you feel like giving. If someone questioning your taste legitimately gives you pause, then it's worth it to genuinely examine why your tastes are what they are because, most of the time, that leads to you better being able to articulate why you like what you like. Which is really the only bar to clear in talking about film or any subject. like, people in these kinds of threads parody film snobbery by talking about hating Bay and loving Bergman when in reality some of the biggest snobbiest film nerds hate Bergman and adore Bay and Paul W.S. Anderson and think Jean Rollin is the greatest filmmaker ever and will outline exactly why John Ford is boring and worthless or why Twixt is better than The Godfather. Taste, in my mind, isn't about having those opinions or their opposites as much as it's being able to explain what it is you're looking for in art that leads you to those preferences.

The real snobs are the ones who hate the Marvel movies. But I guess that's the price of popularity.

you see guek was making a stealth "why doesn't everybody like my marvel movies" thread but you had to let the cat out of the bag man!

honestly the key really is to just stop giving a shit. Or, more accurately, allow yourself to only give as much of a shit as you feel like giving. If someone questioning your taste legitimately gives you pause, then it's worth it to genuinely examine why your tastes are what they are because, most of the time, that leads to you better being able to articulate why you like what you like. Which is really the only bar to clear in talking about film or any subject. like, people in these kinds of threads parody film snobbery by talking about hating Bay and loving Bergman when in reality some of the biggest snobbiest film nerds hate Bergman and adore Bay and Paul W.S. Anderson and think Jean Rollin is the greatest filmmaker ever and will outline exactly why John Ford is boring and worthless or why Twixt is better than The Godfather. Taste, in my mind, isn't about having those opinions or their opposites as much as it's being able to explain what it is you're looking for in art that leads you to those preferences.

best post in thread forreal.

squidyj

IMO, a snob is someone who has to constantly shit on the films someone else likes instead of spending time championing the movies they like.

People should be able to discuss what they don't like about films.
trying to outlaw negativity on things is silly and even potentially dangerous.

jtb

Banned
Kevin Feige truly is the worst though. Literally murdered the art form that was once known as film.

Bronx-Man

Banned
People should be able to discuss what they don't like about films.
trying to outlaw negativity on things is silly and even potentially dangerous.

There's a noticeable difference between "Here's why I don't like this movie" and "Anyone that likes this crap is the cancer killing modern cinema and culture itself".

Lunar15

As long as you can explain to me why you liked or disliked something in a semi eloquent fashion, it's cool with me. That's what I'm looking for, the discussion. If you've got a strong reason why bayformers touched you, then I'm all ears.

I'm a huge fucking film snob, but I also understand that personal history and nostalgia play a huge part in individual taste.

Usobuko

Banned
You're inferior if your taste is inferior.

But seriously though, this is common everywhere. Like for example, did you not see some of this elitism coming from game mechanics centric fans in the gaming section? There are always people who centred their identity around their hobbies and thrive on the cheap satisfaction of being superior to people who are less exposed. Just ignore them because it's just circle-jerking in an enclosed echo chamber.

- J - D -

I think most sorts of glaring snobbery are raked over the coals by a lot people here, especially if those critics are the kind who aren't able to substantiate their opinions, or resort to drive-by posting.

Valhelm

contribute something
Imo, a snob is someone who has to constantly shit on the films someone else likes instead of spending time championing the movies they like.

Yeah, I can get behind that. It's really easy for appreciation to basically turn into bigotry, especially with newer artforms.

Today's snobs often love the art that yesterday's snobs tried to stamp out. Man With a Movie Camera basically wrote the book for modern editing and cinematography, but at the time American critics complained that the film "does not take into consideration the fact that the human eye fixes for a certain space of time that which holds the attention."

Lunar15

I think the thing with snobs like myself is that we get very, very, very wrapped up in why we like the things we like. We'll dissect a film and figure out what about it makes it different than that film, and what makes it similar to other films that we liked. It has this kind of pacing, that kind of drama, this kind of storytelling, etc. Once you get into that mindset, you get obsessed with taking apart movies and putting them into their pieces. And for a lot of people that's a fun discussion.

But what also happens is that we remove our own biases and nostalgia from that equation. It's important to factor those in, because they make up so much of why we like a thing, moreso than the individual elements. It also closes us to the opinions of others, and that's how you get the worst side of snobs like myself, the elitist jerks who crap on all the things other people like in order to reinforce the "formula" we've found effective.

I get it, I've tried to temper it. I think the discussion of why we like movies is a good one, it just needs to be more welcoming. That said, I'm always pushing for people to be more elaborate in how they explain why they like something, because I do think it raises the level of what people are willing to try.

Well said

I heard they filmed thousands of hours of Robert Downey Junior's face up close in the Iron Man helmet so that they can continue to have him in the movies after he has aged.

rdj-close-robert-downey-jr-talks-iron-man-4-and-it-s-bad-news-jpeg-130400.jpg

Monocle

Good post.

Why do I get the feeling Guek made this thread because people like to not think Marvel movies are great movies? The OP did defend Age of Ultron to a really silly length in the OT and other threads.

OT:

Film snobbery is fine. You're labeled a snob either way if you dislike X's favorite movie. You're not labeled a snob by definition of the word.

Bronx-Man

Banned
OP never mentioned Marvel once, but these Nolan stans still can't stop talking about it.

Feige stay winning, Mahvel haters stay pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom