• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Leon: The Professional not often mentioned as one of the greatest films of all time?

DiscoJer

It's good, but not great. I also think part of the thing is that it's campy. Oldman is great, but he's also over the top in a cartoon way. The Bill Clinton like politician that Mathilda practices on doesn't help

If there is any movie that is underappreciated, I think it's Ronin (also with Jean Reno, albeit in more of a support role).

MetalAlien

Banned
Since you guys don't seem to know about the behind the scenes truth about Leon... here is a link. Even after all this I still love the movie... creepy be damned.

"According to The Washington Post, Besson met the child actress Maïwenn when she was 12, the same age as Mathilda in the film. He was 29. They claim to have started seeing each other romantically when she turned 15. Maïwenn gave birth to their daughter when she was 16 (and Besson was 33), and subsequently relocated to Los Angeles. She appears briefly during the opening sequences of Léon as “blonde babe”—her listed character name—lying naked in bed, her body wrapped in sheets, having just serviced a middle-age crime boss."

Last edited:
Since you guys don't seem to know about the behind the scenes truth about Leon... here is a link. Even after all this I still love the movie... creepy be damned.

"According to The Washington Post, Besson met the child actress Maïwenn when she was 12, the same age as Mathilda in the film. He was 29. They claim to have started seeing each other romantically when she turned 15. Maïwenn gave birth to their daughter when she was 16 (and Besson was 33), and subsequently relocated to Los Angeles. She appears briefly during the opening sequences of Léon as “blonde babe”—her listed character name—lying naked in bed, her body wrapped in sheets, having just serviced a middle-age crime boss."

Yikes, this is definitely sketchy as hell.

Amazing film, you know who should watch it?

HeftyJubilantEchidna-size_restricted.gif

PSlayer

I think it's because of the pedo undertones both in the movie and at the behind the scenes.

It's one of those great old movies that is best left alone because if you put it on the spotlight, people will bitch about it.

Top Bottom