• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Vestal

Gold Member
Kind of funny that the system was not a fucking dev kit then!
It was just a PC!

The reason you need an emulator to dev for windows phone is because they run on fucking ARM CPUs!

and this is custom hardware with a custom operating system. You have to emulate.

Gestault

As I pointed out before, if they're simply demoing some games using off-the-shelf computer setups spec'd to match the system, what's the second piece of hardware in each cabinet?

yGTPC6q.png

Alebrije

i am not fanboy, but for 3 year there is xbox 360 in closed environment in local game store near me, its used to play demo of fifa 09
the xbox still running

Maybe the store has air conditioning or you live on a cold area (guessing) and helps...but in my place a 360 will burn inside those plastic box....

Elios83

Simple fact is that at this point they should have near final hardware available, Sony does.

Final devkits should be available for both if they want to go on sale this November.
The problem is if this PC is a devkit or not. People are saying it's not a devkit and it has a Geforce Titan in it? WTF??

USC-fan

Banned
Someone find the post in one of the rumor thread about the beta hardware being very powerful and you will see a downgrade in game when move to retail hardware.

I know a read this on gaf before. THe reason they gave for the powerful dev kit is because they had to emulate a bunch of fix feature hardware.

I think it was back in a thread where the xbox summit stuff was being talk about. Someone else has to remember this also...

Erasus

if that true, hacker could easily hack the system and make emulator, especially if the xbox one use x86 processor

ewUGjp6.jpg

No. Because MS has access to the XOne hardware, drivers and API.
People making emulators have it leaked or not at all.
Xbox1 is not emulated due to the Nvidia card not being documented outside of MSHQ.

PS2 emulator PCSX2 took years to reach the point of being good, like a year or so ago. It also need a dual core/quad core CPU and a DX10 card to run its best. Way above PS2 specs.

PS3 has a limited PS2 emulator used for the PS2 classics on PSN store. Was unlocked as shown in a GAF thread to be able to run some PS2 discs!
And they have the PS2 100% documented and cant make it work on a more powerful console 100%.

kortez320

So yeah. Anyone who thought any of the next-gen games shown were on either PS4 or Xbone isn't really familiar with reality. There's not really anything notable about this even including the fact that they are running Nvidia hardware.

The funniest thing I've seen posted in regards to this is that they are using Xbone/PS4 equivalent hardware. Really? They are using 7850s and low power CPUs to show this stuff off? Completely unoptimized? Give me a break.

It's all 680+ and 3930ks for as far as you can see.

spwolf

wernt there rumors how MS is behind software development as well? So both software and hardware? Then running on PC's makes sense.

I find it really troubling if games aren't running on dev kits (at least) at five months before launch. MS is going to have to start manufacturing these things soon.

Vestal

Gold Member
Looking at that picture this looks like a custom built PC by the mere presence of a corsair closed CPU cooler. How everyone is so certain what card this is running I have no clue because with that image I could make a case that it looks like my 660ti.

So yeah. Anyone who thought any of the next-gen games shown were on either PS4 or Xbone isn't really familiar with reality. There's not really anything notable about this even including the fact that they are running Nvidia hardware.

What are you talking about there have been reports that PS4 games were running on PS4 dev kits .
This just goes back rumors that MS was behind by 6 months , still don't see the reason for them run them on such a powerful GPU .

If E3 was about having real code or fully working games with no issues or complications, E3 would have hardly any games to play. It might as well be the Ouya sized event.

^^ This right here. This is the story of pretty much every E3 game demo you've seen over the last decade. These games are pretty much always running on a PC.

beril

so are you saying that all the games shown on these machines were running natively on w7????

Yes, apparently.

Running a modern console game through emulation at an event like this would be ridiculous. If they had the xbox build ready and performing well, why the hell wouldn't they run it on the devkit instead? There's no way an emulator (if it had existed) would be able to run it faithfully, with decent performace at this point. The only system I've worked on were the SDK has an emulator is Android, and even that is slow as hell, not very faithful and overall mostly useless.

Pistolero

I guess I'm in the minority here, but none of the games shown by MS made me go : "wow! This console must have some secret sauce. Surely they're using beefed up PCs to impress us". They are what I would have expected from a hardware supposedly 8 - 10 times more powerful than the last ones.

Vestal

Gold Member
Yes, apparently.

Running a modern console game through emulation at an event like this would be ridiculous. If they had the xbox build ready and performing well, why the hell wouldn't they run it on the devkit instead? There's no way an emulator (if it had existed) would be able to run it faithfully, with decent performace at this point. The only system I've worked on were the SDK has an emulator is Android, and even that is slow as hell, not very faithful and overall mostly useless.
difference is that according to Microsoft the gaming os is already running as a VM of sorts on the Xbox one, on top of w8 none the less.

Top Bottom