• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the Metroid series not more popular in Japan?

Why is metroid not add popular in Japan?

Because you don't see skin tight Samus suit till the end game. Make an entire Metroid game where you play as zero suit Samus with some graviore camera angle kill shots and then you'll have a super successful Japanese Metroid.

half jk

Celine

I found this old shipment data but it was unsourced:

Metroid: US: 1.35 million, Japan: 1.04 million, Europe: 340k, total: 2.73 million
Metroid II: total: 1.72 million
Super Metroid: US: 460k, Japan: 780k, Europe: 180k, total: 1.42 million
Smell like VGC bullshit.
They have/had the bad habit to take official shipment data worldwide and then split them by a mere guess in the the three main markets (that is from an official number they made up fake figures).

Nintendo at best give figures for Japan and abroad (outside Japan) for software sales.

Nictel

But why?
What is it about the series that just doesn't appeal to the Japanese audience the way other Nintendo franchises do?
The sci-fi setting? The side scrolling or later 1st person shooting game play? The female protagonist?

Any thoughts?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-japan-chart-mass-effect-3-sells-8142-copies

Mass Effect has similar problems. You can joke about tentacles and schoolgirls but maybe "space adventurer" just doesn't appeal to the Japanese market.

Village

1) I think you should probably ask that question of.... everywhere.

2) in regards to just japan, I think its an aesthetic thing.

In regards to the rest of the series in the rest of the world, to keep this brief Its a series who releases seemed, in the wrong place in time.

nkarafo

1 - It's sci-fi.

2 - Prime series were first person and Japan don't like FPS.

3 - Not enough sexualising (although they tried with Zero suit and OtherM).

4 - No children.

Toxi

Banned
Ōkami;215455083 said:
Metroid 2 came out in Japan on January 1992 so it's unlikely they're missing much if at all.

We have some Famitsu charts from then anyway and the game wasn't performing too well there either.
That's really bizarre if the number is close.

Celine

Japan loves Star Wars, so I don't buy that's the scifi setting.
Franchise like Gundam and Star Wars may be popular but their status depend on other kind of media and are not directly tied to videogames.
In the case of Gundam there are many very successful games based on the franchise in Japan while Star Wars doesn't have the same luxury.
The only Star Wars game to have cracked 100K in Japan was the recent Star Wars: Battlefront for PS4.

dan2026

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-japan-chart-mass-effect-3-sells-8142-copies

Mass Effect has similar problems. You can joke about tentacles and schoolgirls but maybe "space adventurer" just doesn't appeal to the Japanese market.

I don't really buy that either.
There is a plethora of manga and anime about 'space adventure'.
Granted there is a ton more about 'highschool drama'. So I don't know.

Even if it is true. I don't see how 'Other M' and 'Federation Force' really appeal to either Japan or the West.
I think Nintendo doesn't really understand what made Metroid popular in the 1st place.

When Super Metroid is hailed on many lists as 'one of the best games of all time'. You think they would run with that a lot more than they have.

Zolo

For what it's worth, I don't actually see 'Space Adventure' all that often anymore in manga or anime, so it may not be as popular as it used to be.

Garlador

For what it's worth, I don't actually see 'Space Adventure' all that often anymore in manga or anime, so it may not be as popular as it used to be.

The late 70s, 80s, and early 90s were definitely some prime "space adventure" periods.

"Space Adventure Cobra" is almost a gender-swapped Samus, actually (only he was a pirate instead of a hunter of pirates).
Cobra%2BThe%2BSpace%2BPirate%2BMovie.jpg

metroid-ii-banner-samus.jpg

Instro

Listen, Souls is phenomenal. One of my favorite series.

But it's not Metroid. And Metroid ain't Souls.

If Nintendo wants to know why people love Metroid, they just need to look at Super Metroid.

I'm not implying that they need to copy Souls gameplay, I meant that they should examine it as an example of how a game that is similar to Metroid, and also extremely niche, can be a success. A lot of it has to do with presentation, messaging, and marketing. Like I said though, maybe they can't attract those kinds of gamers to their platforms anymore.

Vitacat

My guess: the audience it had over there moved on to the Playstation and never looked back.
That kinda rings true to me. All the way back to PSX, if people had to choose between systems, if they wanted more "serious" or gritty style games they probably buy a PlayStation instead of Nintendo.

Boney

Banned
The late 70s, 80s, and early 90s were definitely some prime "space adventure" periods.

"Space Adventure Cobra" is almost a gender-swapped Samus, actually (only he was a pirate instead of a hunter of pirates).

Cobra came in the 70's right? So wouldn't it be the other way around? But it's awesome yes

Mael

Cobra came in the 70's right? So wouldn't it be the other way around? But it's awesome yes

If you want to take inspiration from something to make Metroid awesome, Cobra is a great place to start!

Seriously a more science fiction flair to metroid away from the science fantasy would be all kinds of awesome.

crinale

For those saying Super Metroid sold well in Japan, I'll say that it went straight to bomba bin within a week or two..

Rambler

Seeing these sales figures makes you wonder how Sakamoto even convinced Nintendo to fund Other M in the first place.

Mael

Seeing these sales figures makes you wonder how Sakamoto even convinced Nintendo to fund Other M in the first place.

They didn't use Nintendo's workforce to begin with.
As far as opportunity cost it's pretty gold, sure it was expensive and everything but at least most of the rest of Nintendo was working on something more productive.
Sakamoto even said his team wasn't used to 3D so he had to get help from the outside.
Which tells us that to begin with he wasn't going to get help from people at EAD for his vanity project.
He also sold it as a bridge game of sort, easy to use for everyone and with hardcore appeal or something.
Hence why we got so many interviews saying it was a NES Metroid game in 3D or something.
If this game was made internally there's no way anything related to the story would have made the cut as he would have to deal with the internal studio heads who wouldn't have let that fly.

ElFly

they had seen metroid prime sell well in the west, even if MP3 had decayed

sakamoto comes with a plan that potentially could make it attractive to japan as well (removing the FPS element and adding a ton of spoken cutscenes about samus) and you can see it is not such a bad idea

Mael

they had seen metroid prime sell well in the west, even if MP3 had decayed

sakamoto comes with a plan that potentially could make it attractive to japan as well (removing the FPS element and adding a ton of spoken cutscenes about samus) and you can see it is not such a bad idea

I was going to say that spoken cutscenes weren't a plus in the pitch for the game...then again I remember the whole story thing being prominent in the packaging so it really could have been the plan to make a cutscene heavy BS story thing from the start...

L Thammy

The "lost in space" sci-fi/horror films, which Metroid takes a lot of its cues from, has never been popular in Japan as far as I'm aware, so that may partly explain it.

Is that true? I'm feeling like it isn't. Alien seemed to influence damn near everything in Japanese gaming in the '80s. And there were Japanese movies that seemed to be in similar territory:

v1oz

I always thought the 2D ones did decent in Japan, and that Japan's hatred for FPS resulted in less than stellar Prime sales.

Super Metroid didn't sell very well in Japan. But mind you the Metroid Prime series was only a sleeper hit even in the West. The MP series has never sold in line with NOJ's expectations for their franchises. That's probably why Nintendo made Metroid Other M, to try appeal to the Japanese market that's more into their anime stuff.

Mak

Media Create.

GMB Metroid II: Return of Samus - 102,550
SFC Super Metroid - 508,698

500,000+ copies for Super Metroid on the Super Famicom for the population of Japan is probably enough of a success and different than if it were 500,000 copies for the population of NA.

The director of the Zeiram movies that was mentioned was influenced by Alien, Terminator and Predator.

It all comes down to the gameplay appealing to players.

Nintendo pays their employees a set salary and doesn't have a set budget for game development (within reason and besides deadlines), that's why they can choose to delay games. (Nintendo Magic + https://youtu.be/V52Fto40syM?t=8m38s)

Other M was an evolution of the 2D Metroid games that included a basic Metroid Prime element with the first person view, and had 5-6 staff from the SPD1 GBA Metroid team working on it, including the art director of Metroid Zero Mission directing, and level designer of Zero Mission and Fusion directing.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/metroid-other-m/1/2

Kaisos

Loving the subtle bigotry in this thread.

I do think it's because Metroid's style of sci-fi setting has lost its appeal in Japan in recent years, though. The best thing Nintendo could do would be to hand creative control entirely over to a Western developer who actually understands what people like about Metroid, but...

AntMurda

Super Metroid didn't sell very well in Japan. But mind you the Metroid Prime series was only a sleeper hit even in the West. The MP series has never sold in line with NOJ's expectations for their franchises. That's probably why Nintendo made Metroid Other M, to try appeal to the Japanese market that's more into their anime stuff.

500k+ copies is selling very well in Japan. Especially for a non-multiplayer / non family/casual title. Fire Emblem just hit 400k and it was a huge success for them in Japan.

For a long time, Sakamoto and his associates were known for designing cult games at Nintendo. Metroid and Kid Icarus were the most popular out of the lot of text heavy niche RPG and text adventure games his team was making.

Once Sakamoto's teams hit WarioWare, Rhythm
Tengoku, and Tomodachi Collection - he really hit mainstream Japan for the first time. I don't think he wants to go back to Card Hero and Detective Club anytime soon.

RedSwirl

The real question I think we need to ask (or at least I'm asking) is how popular were the first three Metroid games in Japan?

I think after that it's kind of obvious how the series may have not been as popular in Japan -- the eight-year hiatus followed by a series of first person shooters. Though I guess only the hiatus could have hurt Fusion and Zero Mission.

I remember circa 2002 press was noting how Metroid was never as popular in Japan as it was in the US, so even when talking about the initial three games there was a sense Metroid wasn't a big hit with the Japanese audience. I'm wondering what was wrong with those games in particular. I don't think it was sci-fi, the female protagonist, open-ended gameplay, or the lack of sexualization because you could apply all those things to other Japanese games from the 80's and early 90's.

Dremark

Banned
Loving the subtle bigotry in this thread.

I do think it's because Metroid's style of sci-fi setting has lost its appeal in Japan in recent years, though. The best thing Nintendo could do would be to hand creative control entirely over to a Western developer who actually understands what people like about Metroid, but...

A lot of it isn't really very subtle...

As far as what they do with it goes I think it really depends what they want to do with it. They could keep having Retro do Prime games when they aren't working on higher profile titles as they've seemed to sell moderately well.

Alternatively they could keep the series in Japan and keep it under Sakamoto, but I don't think they can make a traditional Metroid game sell that well at a normal retail price point. Maybe a $20 release with a limited $30 physical run would work if they could budget the game effectively.

Regardless I don't think the series fits the tastes of the Japanese market and I don't think it's worth specifically targeting it when planning the game.

The real question I think we need to ask (or at least I'm asking) is how popular were the first three Metroid games in Japan?

I think after that it's kind of obvious how the series may have not been as popular in Japan -- the eight-year hiatus followed by a series of first person shooters. Though I guess only the hiatus could have hurt Fusion and Zero Mission.

I remember circa 2002 press was noting how Metroid was never as popular in Japan as it was in the US, so even when talking about the initial three games there was a sense Metroid wasn't a big hit with the Japanese audience. I'm wondering what was wrong with those games in particular. I don't think it was sci-fi, the female protagonist, open-ended gameplay, or the lack of sexualization because you could apply all those things to other Japanese games from the 80's and early 90's.

The sales figures people have put down for the first 3 titles have seemed pretty solid, but there was a lot of time between Super and Prime/Fusion and the market itself changed dramatically. The install base for the GC was considerably lower than the NES/SNES and the GBA might not have been in the hands of gamers who were old enough to remember the series.

Another angle people haven't brought up is that being a successful title in the 8/16 bit days was probably easier as there was a lot less competition. Te three platforms were peerless in Japan and all three were relatively early titles so they'd stand out more. Additionally qualitywise they were arguably some of the strongest games on the platform, but I don't think the same would be said for Fusion/Zero Mission/Other M and such and they didn't stand out as much as a result.

Top Bottom