• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is XBL still the superior online service...

So what you are really are trying to say:

"Sorry I was busy being the PR machine that I am, I thought you were talking about something else, so, yeah that game that has the feature and you called me out on it, well yeah it's just a mode, hell I don't think anyone is even playing it, LOL.

You know what I consider the main aspect of the argument, a game that is exclusive to my platform, because it's my platform of choice, the game you chose is cool, but your opinion is flawed, if you consider it somehow but in my reality you are mad, flawed perhaps."

Stop spinning and weaving your little tactics to get a rise or try to brush it off, when you got owned multiple times

Just let it go, does it really matter why your shit is hot and fresh, and the rest are cold and busted

Sigh.

I care little for 'getting owned' (if by owned, you mean throwing as much shit at the wall and hoping something sticks) and what tactics? I have stuck to my core argument from the moment I created this thread and reply to points that I disagree with. Where I have weaved or spun anything?

I'd argue you're the one attempting to do what you accuse me of. Trying to downplay the valid points brought up, trying to make me appear as some MS, shill (which couldn't be further from the truth) as you're patently incapable of debating the thread at hand.

Bringing up and derailing the thread with PS+ comments made in a different thread that had absolutely no relevance to the topic at hand, bringing up F2P and Online when challenged and then going into a rage when you don't get the response or rise you want.

It's pathetic.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'd argue you're the one attempting to do what you accuse me of. Trying to downplay the valid points brought up, trying to make me appear as some MS, shill (which couldn't be further from the truth) as you're patently incapable of debating the thread at hand.

Sigh

Speedymanic
Freelance PR For Microsoft

Listen you haven't brought any valid argument
You're talking out of your ASS

Your next reply better have proof, developers are shook due to Sony Incompetence and the service it offers is detrimental to parties involved

I'll wait...

PSN+ has a right to be in this conversation, so does Onlive

Just cause you want to narrow your arguments down to the smallest point, I'm trying to broaden it, cause all this is gray, not everything is black & fucking white

Sigh

Speedymanic
Freelance PR For Microsoft

Listen you haven't brought any valid argument
You're talking out of your ASS

Your next reply better have proof, developers are shook due to Sony Incompetence and the service it offers is detrimental to parties involved

I'll wait...

PSN+ has a right to be in this conversation, so does Onlive

Just cause you want to narrow your arguments down to the smallest point, I'm trying to broaden it, cause all this is gray, not everything is black & fucking white

Onlive isn't on home consoles. PS+ doesn't allow people to play online or have anything to do with infrastructure, which is what this thread is about.

So no,neither have any right to be brought up in this discussion.

Wow, you really do lhave uncanny ability for making shit up. Please, quote any post of mine where I said developers are shook by Sony's incompetence?

I would detail again what I actually said, but it's pretty obvious to me you lack the most the basic reading and comprehension skills, that I won't bother.

Carry on making shit up though, I can't wait to see what other crazy shit you can come out with.

Hanmik

Onlive isn't on home consoles. PS+ doesn't allow people to play online or have anything to do with infrastructure, which is what this thread is about.

no right..? damn you are one badass thread creator.. so you are running Neogaf and can decide what people can post in YOUR threads.. congrats man.!

and infrastructure..? PSN+ gives you some other stuff that is infrasturcture related (kind of).. Gamesaves to the cloud, autosync of trophies and auto patching (and auto firmware updates).... so PSN+ could be mentioned here .. unless your rules state something else..

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Wow, you really do lhave uncanny ability for making shit up. Please, quote any post of mine where I said developers are shook by Sony's incompetence?

I would detail again what I actually said, but it's pretty obvious to me you lack the most the basic reading and comprehension skills, that I won't bother.

Carry on making shit up though, I can't wait to see what other crazy shit you can come out with.

You asked why XBL is still superior? It's not.
It's all relative to a person's choice
For some reason you have fascination with Sony and know their inner working and somehow what is happening in the present, you somehow have an outlook into future of a business you don't even work for
Please stop with this bullshit line because somehow you throw the line Basic Read/Comprehension, makes you superior, you even did it to Log4Girlz in the Avengers thread, not even 20 minutes ago

What shit have I made up?, You're the one asking the question Genius, then when you don't like the answer sin the discussion another way, then when that doesn't work, try t go another route

Give it a rest dude, you are to amazing to be on GAF, your majestic quarrels and pondering for us mere peasants with basic reading/comprehension skill can't match you

I'm so sorry Oh Wise One, Praise be to Yevon & Gates, your foresight has changed my viewpoints, Long Live XBL

theBishop

Banned

I don't want to overstate the point, but PS+ does add cloud-saving and automatic patching/updates. As far as I know Xbox Live doesn't offer this features.

Yagharek

no right..? damn you are one badass thread creator.. so you are running Neogaf and can decide what people can post in YOUR threads.. congrats man.!

and infrastructure..? PSN+ gives you some other stuff that is infrasturcture related (kind of).. Gamesaves to the cloud, autosync of trophies and auto patching (and auto firmware updates).... so PSN+ could be mentioned here .. unless your rules state something else..

A very valid point.

One of my biggest annoyances with PS3 is software updates for individual games. PSN+ resolves this, and its a pretty impressive feature.

I dont (and will never) sign up to PSN+, but speedymaniac is stomping on thin ice if he thinks PSN+ isnt valid for discussion.

McLovin

Is psn suppose to be better? Its still a free service, I would be pissed if xbl wasn't better :/ PSN plus is something else all together so its not even comparable. Technical reasons for psn not having party chat has to do with memory and how its split, so its probably never gonna happen. I still prefer psn myself, even if it is inferior I can't stand the new xbl interface. Also people talk when online, on xbl everyone is on party chat.

theBishop

Banned
Is psn suppose to be better? Its still a free service, I would be pissed if xbl wasn't better :/ PSN plus is something else all together so its not even comparable. Technical reasons for psn not having party chat has to do with memory and how its split, so its probably never gonna happen. I still prefer psn myself, even if it is inferior I can't stand the new xbl interface. Also people talk when online, on xbl everyone is on party chat.

Yeah, I can't deny that Xbox Live is a richer service with more features. But those features aren't worth the subscription fee in my opinion. As someone else said in this thread: if multiplayer was free on Xbox Live, I wouldn't pay for the other features.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Seriously there's people here that think Sony or N can go head to head with Microsoft on an online software\functionality front?!?!?!?

Don't dilute yourselves they have SOOOO much catching up to match MS feature for feature it'll never happen unless MS decides their gong to stop pushing out upgrades for the next 3 years and then they's still be catching up.

This is Microsoft bread and butter, they make operating systems for gods sake and already have a 10 billion dollar online infrastructure in place leveraged by many of their product's.

I don't want to overstate the point, but PS+ does add cloud-saving and automatic patching/updates. As far as I know Xbox Live doesn't offer this features.

XBL offers cloud saves - 250mb if I'm not mistaken.

As for auto patching, XBL doesn't need it as most patches are 10mb or below.

What does Onlive have to do with online console gaming?

If that's the case, XBL also auto syncs cheevos, but without the need to charge for it. XBL also offers cloud saves and offers more space for a lower entry fee (if you shop around), which also auto sync. Auto patching is a boon for PS+, but XBL is so refined that patches rarely exceed 10mb and rarely take more than a few seconds to download so that only really adds to my point. As for auto FW updates, can't comment with any certainty but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

You asked why XBL is still superior? It's not.
It's all relative to a person's choice
For some reason you have fascination with Sony and know their inner working and somehow what is happening in the present, you somehow have an outlook into future of a business you don't even work for
Please stop with this bullshit line because somehow you throw the line Basic Read/Comprehension, makes you superior, you even did it to Log4Girlz in the Avengers thread, not even 20 minutes ago

What shit have I made up?, You're the one asking the question Genius, then when you don't like the answer sin the discussion another way, then when that doesn't work, try t go another route

Give it a rest dude, you are to amazing to be on GAF, your majestic quarrels and pondering for us mere peasants with basic reading/comprehension skill can't match you

I'm so sorry Oh Wise One, Praise be to Yevon & Gates, your foresight has changed my viewpoints, Long Live XBL

So when you can't provide proof of claims you made act like a sarcastic buffoon? Good to know.

As for not making shit up, explain this...

Your next reply better have proof, developers are shook due to Sony Incompetence

Did I ever claim this?

And there you go again attempting to divert attention away, but thanks for proving my point about lacking those most basic skills.

Hanmik

What does Onlive have to do with online console gaming?

If that's the case, XBL also auto syncs cheevos, but without the need to charge for it. XBL also offers cloud saves and offers more space for a lower entry fee (if you shop around), which also auto sync. Auto patching is a boon for PS+, but XBL is so refined that patches rarely exceed 10mb and rarely take more than a few seconds to download so that only really adds to my point. As for auto FW updates, can't comment with any certainty but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Sorry I never mentioned Onlive.. you just said that PSN+ should not be discussed in this thread.. that was what I responded to...

And I was not saying that PSN does those things better than XBL, I just mentioned them ,so that you might see that PSN+ offers things that is worth mentioning in a thread where you try to put XBL on pedestal.

Isn't it damaging to consumers? Explain to me how it isn't.

By giving away something like Awesomenauts for free, you set a terrible precedent for consumers that brand new games should be free if you pay a subscription. It damages expectations and spending habits, which ultimately means that less developers might be inclined to release content on that platform if the majority pay for PS+ but don't buy any content.

Less money being spent = less motivations for devs to work on and release content for said platform. happens all the time, if Sony continue to make PS+ so 'value for money' that it starts to negavitely impact people's spending habits on the service, the same will happen to PSN and that's something I don't want to see happen.

Since I've gotten PS+... I've spent over 300 dollars on DD games a lone. I see free DLC? Buy the game...
I see a free game? Buy the DLC. They are giving me a great deal and when I see it, I get it.

XBL offers cloud saves - 250mb if I'm not mistaken.

As for auto patching, XBL doesn't need it as most patches are 10mb or below.

MS offers over 500 megs of cloud storage where as the PSN+ is around 150 megs which isn't even enough space for a single save file in some games for the system. And yes, the only reason the auto patching is a "feature" is because the patching process is broken in the first place. The 360 doesn't need auto patching because it has worked great since launch day.

My contention isn't that the 360 has a lot of people who pay for gold.

My contention is - using your example - that number would have been hit faster if Live cost nothing to play online.

Since PSN is free, how come the number was so slow? Sure, more people would play but the main point is would anyone notice with so many people aready playing. Are you going to notice an extra 100 people in a group of 10,000?

coldfoot

Banned
MS offers over 500 megs of cloud storage where as the PSN+ is around 150 megs which isn't even enough space for a single save file in some games for the system.
Please list "some games". The only one I know of is Afrika, which no one bought. Since you said "some games" instead of singling out Afrika, there must be more than one that you know.

Please list "some games". The only one I know of is Afrika, which no one bought.

The reason I know of Afrika is because I did buy it. There should be enough space on the cloud for all games especially if they are charging for the feature. Every single 360 game released since launch can fit in the cloud space available.

coldfoot

Banned
The reason I know of Afrika is because I did buy it. There should be enough space on the cloud for all games especially if they are charging for the feature. Every single 360 game released since launch can fit in the cloud space available.
So what are these "some games" besides Afrika?

How many 360 games have save files even remotely close to the size of Afrika save files?

Afrika saves photos on the save file instead of XMB or Gamedata, it was a game done prior to cloud saving so they didn't thought it was a problem. It's silly to use that game when it's a clear exception and an understandable one.

As long as XBL download speeds continue to dwarf PSN's, and as long as there's a demo for every single downloadable game on XBLA, XBL is the superior service. Also helps that nearly every friend and family member has one.

As long as XBL download speeds continue to dwarf PSN's, and as long as there's a demo for every single downloadable game on XBLA, XBL is the superior service. Also helps that nearly every friend and family member has one.

What if all my friends are on PSN and my download speeds on PSN max out my ISP speed? Does that mean they are both the superior one? That can't be right.

So what are these "some games" besides Afrika?

Brutal Legend. The more you play, the larger the save file gets and can get to the point where it is too large to save to the cloud.

How many 360 games have save files even remotely close to the size of Afrika save files?

Afrika saves photos on the save file instead of XMB or Gamedata, it was a game done prior to cloud saving so they didn't thought it was a problem. It's silly to use that game when it's a clear exception and an understandable one.

Regardless of what excuse, the fact remains that charging $50 a year for such a small amount of cloud space is what the point was. The fact that all games can't fit on the cloud means it is too small. You say exceptions should be made for certain games, I say increase the space on a pay for use feature. If they matched the 360 cloud space on PSN+ then all current PS3 save files would fit.

Brutal Legend. The more you play, the larger the save file gets and can get to the point where it is too large to save to the cloud.
Isn't that a bug?

Regardless of what excuse, the fact remains that charging $50 a year for such a small amount of cloud space is what the point was. The fact that all games can't fit on the cloud means it is too small. You say exceptions should be made for certain games, I say increase the space on a pay for use feature. If they matched the 360 cloud space on PSN+ then all current PS3 save files would fit.
No, that's not what the $50 is for. That's ONE of the things.

To each his own I guess. Id rather a free service and sacrifice slower download speeds ( its actually good at my end, not complaining really) than pay yearly. That wasted money on unessential features would be saved to buy actual games.

Not to forget the the reason PSN is superior to me is because of the plethora of exclusive games compared to the Xbox 360 thanks to Sony's first party.

DR3AM

Some people her just don’t get it. People pay for XBL Gold to play games online and use the apps. If MP was free, almost no one would pay for XBL. Xbox 1 didn’t have any of the features of the 360 and it was a HUGE success because of Halo and other games.

XBL is designed around the idea of community in mind and ease of use for the non tech savvy user where as Sony's online was an afterthought and Nintendo makes children's toys

No, that's not what the $50 is for. That's ONE of the things.

Regardless of other features people pay $50 for PSN+ and get 150megs of cloud storage and people pay $60 for XBL and get over 500megs of could storage. Wouldn't that constitute a superior offering? Isn't that what the thread is asking?

snap0212

Regardless of other features people pay $50 for PSN+ and get 150megs of cloud storage and people pay $60 for XBL and get over 500megs of could storage. Wouldn't that constitute a superior offering? Isn't that what the thread is asking?
I also get a few gigs for photos though.

coldfoot

Banned
Incorrect. There's a bug that corrupts your saves that's not present in 1.01 but present in later issues. Since that's a bug that EA never patched but you can fix by going back to version 1.01. It's not an issue since the corrupted save file wouldn't do you any good on the cloud to begin with.

Please show me one instance of a non-corrupt BL save file over 150MB, otherwise I won't take your word for it.

There are less than 5 games that aren't compatible with the cloud service , enchanted arms being on of those... this was annonced when they launched the dit service ..
Having 5 exceptions to the rule isn't really fair to judge the whole cloud service.

EDIt : Just for you know the size of enchanted arms saves wasn't an issue , but just how the game was programmed

Sporran

CPG in Portal is pretty much pointless for the simple fact that it's one co-op mode, which I'd be very surprised if anyone was still playing.

Whether or not people are still playing it, thats not relevant imo. But i will say i had quite an enjoyable time playing my pc owning mates. Most of them went oowwwwww when i played them through the levels, and i kept reminding im not on a pc.

I felt connected!

No doubt if 360 had steamworks it would be the dawgs?

For console games, XBL is far and away the best online service and eco-system wide the best UI as well, even though the X-Box dash leaves a lot to be desired. We take many of the standard 360 online features for granted because they have worked so well since launch. having never owned an X-Box and having played very few online console games before, I was SHOCKED when I got a 360 and... you just... invite people to a game and it works and you're with your friends. I was floored by how easy it was. Now it's old hat.

But XBL is so much better than PSN, even when you consider price. I'm not any MS fanboy either, I have both consoles and like em for their strengths... but anybody who thinks that the MS and Sony online experiences are comparable is delusional.

MMaRsu

Banned
Uhm yea guys ofcourse Ps3 has cloudsaving but the rest?

Trophy syncing...yeah 360 users have achievements that can be compared between anyone at any time, no sync needed.

Patches for 360 are VERY fast, for Ps3 they are annoying ( you need to download AND install them and they are never combined in one big patch ).

Firmware updates is true, but once again on 360 it's very fast.

XBL is just so much better than PSN it's not even funny.

So XBL is an inferior offering simply because it doesn't give you as many free games? Or group text chat?

It's about the whole package and not comparing individual features.

So I take it XBL Silver users have to suffer slower download speeds? They don't pay anything.

kyo27

To each his own I guess. Id rather a free service and sacrifice slower download speeds ( its actually good at my end, not complaining really) than pay yearly. That wasted money on unessential features would be saved to buy actual games.

Not to forget the the reason PSN is superior to me is because of the plethora of exclusive games compared to the Xbox 360 thanks to Sony's first party.

That extra money that playstation only users save from not paying subscription fees must be why their games are selling so well.

USC-fan

Banned
For console games, XBL is far and away the best online service and eco-system wide the best UI as well, even though the X-Box dash leaves a lot to be desired. We take many of the standard 360 online features for granted because they have worked so well since launch. having never owned an X-Box and having played very few online console games before, I was SHOCKED when I got a 360 and... you just... invite people to a game and it works and you're with your friends. I was floored by how easy it was. Now it's old hat.

But XBL is so much better than PSN, even when you consider price. I'm not any MS fanboy either, I have both consoles and like em for their strengths... but anybody who thinks that the MS and Sony online experiences are comparable is delusional.

What makes it better? You have not named one thing. You say UI but the dashboard is terrible now.

People say is sooo much better but I own both and really dont see any difference. The firmware updates are really only thing I can think of but that not really a PSN/xbl thing.

What makes it better? Do you even own a PS3?

So XBL is an inferior offering simply because it doesn't give you as many free games? Or group text chat?

It's about the whole package and not comparing individual features.

People really need to stop using the word "free" when talking about a pay service. Things stop being "free" the second money is exchanged.

Top Bottom