• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a8986489/moonlight-was-robbed-of-its-moment/

The Academy Awards did the best possible thing in the worst possible way last night, when it conferred Moonlight the Oscar for Best Picture.
But in the middle of the La La Land team giving their round of acceptance speeches, they were told that the award had actually gone to Moonlight, and that team was then invited on stage as an afterthought. In the shuffle, host Jimmy Kimmel tried to assuage the clear disappointment of the La La Land'ers saying, ”I think you guys should keep it anyway." That's not how this works, Jimmy Kimmel. That's not how any of this works!

It is both entirely obvious and absolutely necessary to say that this incident is an apt metaphor for thinking about the politics of race and diversity in America. It has taken multiple decades of struggle to even arrive at a universe where a movie with the emotional and artistic complexity of Moonlight, a movie that puts black characters and communities at its center, would have a shot at multiple Oscars. Then it won the evening's biggest prize of all, but only after being told it lost. And then the film's creators had to share the stage with La La Land. The moment was unfortunate for everyone involved, but it was most unfortunate for Moonlight.

This debacle brought into stark relief just exactly how messy it is and will continue to be to make traditionally white institutions more diverse and inclusive. In many cases, it will look like black people coming on stage to take away the very awards that white people presumed they would win and prepared themselves to receive. This is the scary part of what it means for white people to challenge white privilege: it means sometimes they will lose. More than that, it means they will have to endure the humiliation of losing when they were so entirely sure they had won.

Part of what it requires to do the work of diversity is to recognize that there are some moments you simply cannot mess up. This was one of those moments. Although PricewaterhouseCoopers, the accounting firm that oversees the tabulation of Oscars ballots, has taken responsibility for the mix-up, imagine how it feels to the talent of Moonlight to not have had the fullness of their moment. Imagine how the mistake feels to those of us who have rarely seen ourselves represented in the awards ceremony. The carelessness and haphazardness with which Moonlight's moment was treated is indicative of how institutional racism continues to work, even after people of color have overcome a significant barrier.

Institutional racism is often hard to see because we can't point to an individual person who had bad intentions. Thus we are often taught to think that structural discrimination isn't real. But institutional racism isn't about a single actor or intent; it's about impact. Sunday night's comedy of errors is only laughable because it's an awards show. In the lives of everyday black people, this kind of carelessness shows up when a supervisor fails to celebrate the promotion of a black employee, while the promotion of a white counterpart is the subject of copious congratulation — it may have been an honest oversight, but the impact is harmful.

Although Horowitz handled the mix-up with grace, and Moonlight director Barry Jenkins acknowledged as much, it is the graciousness with which Jenkins and the entire Moonlight team handled the botching of their well-deserved moment that is worthy of our applause. Much like Jimmy Kimmel, however, Americans are socially conditioned to feel the most empathy for what white folks are losing rather than for what black folks are rightfully, finally winning. Certainly Kimmel was not being malicious when he said to the La La Land producers, ”I think you should just keep it anyway." He felt bad that anyone should have to lose in such a public way. But notice that what Kimmel didn't say is, ”Let's get Moonlight up here right now and let them have their moment." His empathy, like that of many others, went towards the people who looked most like him on stage.

Read more

i think the article makes a lot of good points, and i think people are wrong to think that any of what happened was malicious, intentional, or conspiratorial. the article is saying that you can look at the handling of the event, and how everyone reacted and have a glimpse of institutional racism happening in real time.

This is what I mean by not engaging what the fuck we be saying.

The title of the article is 'Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment'. Read that back a few times.

NOBODY is saying that the shit was planned. Please stop bringing it up as if that's our problem. The point of the article is to:

1. Recognize that while the gaffe could have happened to anyone, it's especially bad because of the circumstances

2. Recognize that in many eyes this win can't be separated from LLL when it deserves to stand on its own

3. Recognize the micro aggressions acted out by Kimmel

These points were NOT hard to grasp from the article. But nobody took the time to engage it with any sort of nuance or any sort of empathy for black people. You all just said that it wasn't a big deal, it was a honest mistake, and that we should get over ourselves for "reaching".

Nobody is telling you to agree with anybody. What's insulting is the instant dismissal of our concerns. And if you're upset that I put yt ppl in it, then build a bridge and get over it, because most of you all just played into it at the beginning of this thread like I said.

A-V-B

It was an ugly affair, for sure. I guess on the bright side they at least corrected the error quickly, before the show ended.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It was an honest mistake.

The article make it seem like there's a hidden conspiracy to downplay Moonlight's achievement and that the mistake was done deliberately to do just that.

Moppeh

Banned
Only just started reading the article in full, but I want to point out that I think this critique of what Kimmel said is a little much. He was shocked and making a dumb joke to keep things light.

Our society doesn't really give a shit about queer/black people, so its no surprise. That douche bag excuse of a host, Jimmy Kimmel, also made fun of the Muslim name of one of the actors from Moonlight who won for best supporting actor, and also made a homophobic joke about the one sex scene from Moonlight.

Thanks straight white people.

btrboyev

Blaming this on racism? Come on..someone fucked up. Warren Beaty should have said something rather than looking dumb founded.

KHarvey16

Our society doesn't really give a shit about queer/black people, so its no surprise. That douche bag excuse of a host, Jimmy Kimmel, also made fun of the Muslim name of one of the actors from Moonlight who won for best supporting actor, and also made a homophobic joke about the one sex scene from Moonlight.

Homophobic? What?

I see the point and the analogy

But this quote is a bit much

The carelessness and haphazardness with which Moonlight’s moment was treated is indicative of how institutional racism continues to work, even after people of color have overcome a significant barrier."

I was pretty sure it was a honest mistake and not everyone not caring because moonlight won and they subconsciously didn't care because they were black.

Also I'm not a big Kimmel fan but I'm pretty sure he was trying to lighten up the whole situation with jokes

Speevy

Banned
Kimmel didn't do anything. People were confused and angry and he was trying to lighten the mood. That's what he's there to do.

Moppeh

Banned

What?

That joke wasn't homophobic at all, it was a fucking handjob joke, sexuality had nothing to do with it.

Yeah I think implying the mixup handling was a result of institutionalized racism is a reach. Some guy just accidentally gave them the extra best actress envelope instead of best picture and people were confused and panicking.

Korey

Kimmel didn't do anything. People were confused and angry and he was trying to lighten the mood. That's what he's there to do.

The point is that nobody gave a shit about the Moonlight people other than Jordan Horowitz who was desperately trying to get them onstage.

Even Kimmel just spent the entire time telling Jokes and talking to Beatty and Horowitz, suggesting they keep the Oscar and what not. They spent zero energy trying to give Moonlight people their speech time or even acknowledging them.

Kinyou

Kimmel was just trying super hard to make jokes to overplay the awkwardness

Homophobic? What?
I think he's referring to the "There was a happy ending in the middle of moonlight" joke? Not sure I'd call it homophobic since it's just a joke about someone apparently coming.

KHarvey16

The point is that nobody gave a shit about the Moonlight people other than Jordan Horowitz who was desperately trying to get them onstage.

Even Kimmel just spent the entire time telling Jokes and talking to Beatty and Horowitz. They spent zero energy trying to give Moonlight people their speech time.

I don't think Kimmel was even there until after Moonlight was told to come up.

A-V-B

I think everyone was just confused and didn't know what the fuck to do, and Jordan stepped up. I don't think it was a statement from anyone.

Sanjuro

Even Kimmel just spent the entire time telling Jokes and talking to Beatty and Horowitz, suggesting they keep the Oscar and what not. They spent zero energy trying to give Moonlight people their speech time.

That is what they were supposed to do though.

Luckily the lone person with mic time wasn't a typical Hollywood cunt. He came across really well.

I don't think Kimmel was even there until after Moonlight was told to come up.

He was with Matt Damon ready to do another gag.

Even Kimmel just spent the entire time telling Jokes and talking to Beatty and Horowitz, suggesting they keep the Oscar and what not. They spent zero energy trying to give Moonlight people their speech time or even acknowledging them.
Bystander effect.

Aint nothing homophobic about a happy ending joke.

Speevy

Banned

Even Kimmel just spent the entire time telling Jokes and talking to Beatty and Horowitz, suggesting they keep the Oscar and what not. They spent zero energy trying to give Moonlight people their speech time.

Is is an equally assholish thing to do to sweep away people who, through no fault of their own, were celebrating an Oscar they didn't win.

Everyone has feelings, and I don't think Kimmel's were "Moonlight doesn't matter." but "Yeesh the La La Land people must be feeling like hot garbage right now."

Slayven

Yeah it was pretty gross how people was rushing to say how brave and full of grace the La La Land people were.

If anything this moment brought more recognition to Moonlight. I wouldn't have know who won otherwise. And hell if I could name a single winner from the last five years or more correctly.

SkyOdin

Yeah I think implying the mixup was a result of institutionalized racism is a reach. Some guy just accidentally gave them the extra best actress envelope instead of best picture.
The mixup was obviously not intentional, but that isn't what the article was saying. The subjectvof criticism is how people handled the show once the mixup was discovered. Moonlight's cast and crew should have been given the stage to themselves so they could give the victory speeches owed to the winners of Best Picture. They didn't get that chance.

iavi

Honest mistake, but I did catch Kimmels "I think you should have it anyway"

Which was complete and total undermining bullshit

shoelacer

Banned
yes, the movie that won picture of the year was robbed of it's moment, and not the people who literally handed over the awards they thought they had won seconds earlier. What

KHarvey16

Kimmel was just trying suoer hard to make jokes to overplay the awkwardness

I think he's referring to the "There was a happy ending in the middle of moonlight" joke? Not sure I'd call it homophobic since it's just a joke about someone apparently coming.

Yeah, that's the only moonlight joke I really remember. To call that homophobic is almost insulting in how it undermines actual homophobia.

Moppeh

Banned

Right, but I honestly don't buy the premise that this has anything to do with race. If Manchester By The Sea was revealed to be the true winner, I don't think Kimmel would have immediately snapped into action and saved the day.

Aurongel

Honest mistake, but I did catch Kimmels "I think you should have it anyway"

Which was complete and total undermining bullshit
It was also a joke. He said they should take it and run, not that he seriously thought they should have it.

Did we watch the same show?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Yeah. Kimmel was seated in the audience when it happened. I mean, he's the "host", but not the guy running the show. He even said it took him a minute to even realize he should be up there.

If Fences was accidentally given the award he probably would have said "I think you guys should keep it anyway" to them as well. I don't see the race angle here.

Regardless, Moonlight got really shafted, which is so unfortunate.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
yeah jimmy kimmel was so evil trying his best to do his job as a host and do damage control. He was clearly fucking kidding.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol this is why gen z hate us. We just accused them of racism, homophobia, bigotry all because some guy got distracted by Emma stone and gave the presenters the wrong envelope.

They weren't robbed of anything. They got their fucking award right on the stage. Why do people care so much about the optics. Stop bitching and look at what happened. They corrected their mistake and admitted they Fucked up.

Yes it wasn't perfect but nothing in life is perfect. Shit happens. Stop moaning about what's fair and move the Fuck on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom