• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no advance wars 3ds?

Never got to try this on GCN, I recall the scores being awfully middling. How well does it play/hold up?

Battalion Wars had some good ideas but the execution was horrible. That goes for both games. They could have been something much greater. Controlling all kinds of units (both characters and vehicles) is fun but the game design & level design is just awful.

giapel

I bet AW 3DS will come fairly soon and it will be similar in style to Dual Strike. It will also be downloadable.

rpmurphy

Just add some waifus then. It seemed to worked for Fire Emblem.
iMQjWKw.jpg

Don't need more.

Boogiepop

Hopefully they give the series another chance down the line, yeah, but for now I'm willing to give STEAM a try, much as I'm not inherently excited about it I'm still figuring it'll probably be solid at the very least.

Also, while I'm thinking of it... how are the Game Boy Wars games and Super Famicom Wars games usually considered? I've seen the original a few times and it looks a little basic, but I can't imagine that everything just happened to click in place on the first game in the series to make it to the US. Also, anyone know why the Game Boy Wars series is absent from even the Japanese Virtual Console?

Dragonflame323

Neo Member
They acknowledged AW in one of Awakening's interviews, as I recall. I think it's only a matter of time. Also Japan finally getting Days of Ruin is a good sign.

JCX

I've had both Battalion Wars for years but haven't really played them much.

AWDS is like FE:A - sort of broken mechanics, but a huge love letter to fans of the series.

Astral Dog

We got FE, Paper Mario instead. also, IS is creating a new i.p specifically for the 3DS, sometimes we can't have everything :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Because IS is busy with, with the glorious exception of Fire Emblem, inferior stuff.

But Awakening is Fire Emblem.

It's a shame, because the game itself sounds like it could be pretty interesting. But that art-style is unequivocally atrocious, which is a lot of what people are going to see about the game for the most part.

Actually the characters look different and distinct, they just don't look "safe" or "Japanese".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Advance Wars didn't sell well near the end, especially in Japan, which is where most non-flagship-Nintendo-game handheld titles actually get notable enough sales at a high enough price point to support themselves these days.

On a really general level, the reason something doesn't exist anymore is 98%+ of the time because there's a better option financially for that studio and/or publisher to be working on, at least from their perspective, assuming it's something bigger than a 5-10 person indie game at tops.

RM8

"Oh hey, Intelligent System's take on XCOM / Valkyria Chronicles? Disgusting!". GAF, I don't understand.

Yagharek

Codename Steam looks fucking amazing. Cant wait for it.

Advance Wars would be lovely to see again soon. With custom maps, sharing, online battles including correspondence modes for longer battles.

RM8

You need to buy Code Name STEAM so Nintendo realizes we want more strategy games from IntSys. If we don't get AW on 3DS, I'm blaming people who don't buy Code Name STEAM :p

TI82

Banned
You need to buy Code Name STEAM so Nintendo realizes we want more strategy games from IntSys. If we don't get AW on 3DS, I'm blaming people who don't buy Code Name STEAM :p

3ds' successor will likely be announced next year, so aw on it isnt likely

syncyes

Just add some waifus then. It seemed to worked for Fire Emblem.

In all fairness, the waifu aspect of Awakening didn't come from nowhere. The game was kind of billed as a culmination of the series as a whole and that aspect and the whole generational thing can be traced directly to FE4. Random waifus in AW, on the other hand, would be blatantly out of place.

AW sales, especially in Japan, don't seem to justify more games. Unfortunately. :(

Yeah, I could go for a new Advance Wars, preferably a return to the old cast and setting. Part of the reason I couldn't get into Days of Ruin was the music actually.

jzbluz

Probably not gonna happen considering Nintendo was willing to kill the FE series, which AFAIK has always sold better than AW, if Awakening tanked. Or maybe, Awakening's success means that Nintendo might be willing to give AW another chance.

Dryk

Didn't someone from IS field this question at E3? They gave the standard Nintendo "We want to make another one but we can't think of a gimmick, sorry our hands are tied" excuse... which really needs a better name at this point.

To turn this question on it's head, what are nintendo supposed to add that would make Advance wars
A) a sucess
B) Different to the existing games?
C) Not just aping elements from Fire emblem

Bare in mind that the games come with level creators, so "more levels" isn't good enough.
Just releasing a game with more COs, a new tank and a couple other units clearly isn't enough and was very, very iterative (putting it nicely).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think it's probably because the series took a strange hiatus in Japan and interest there is minimal. Days of Ruin was a great game but a odd entry in the series.

We'll get a new one eventually.

I don't really see the need for people to be hating on S.T.E.A.M., just because you're not getting more AW.

Nor do I think reducing the success of Awakening to 'waifus' is particularly useful. In fact, it kind of makes me think you're a bit angry the series isn't as niche at it used to be.

Dr. Buni

Nor do I think reducing the success of Awakening to 'waifus' is particularly useful. In fact, it kind of makes me think you're a bit angry the series isn't as niche at it used to be.
That is exactly why Awakening is a success, though. Waifu and husbandos. That isn't why the game is rather bad compared to previous entries, though.

Not sure why you are bothered by a somewhat mediocre game being criticized.

I do agree that other AW fans hating on FE and any other IS franchise is kinda stupid, though :p

E-phonk

Banned
Also want a sequel - but wouldn't mind it if they'd change it so the whole story aspect is kept to a minimum. That might lower the cost to make it.
Just give me cool levels/CO's, make it downloadable and i'll be happy.

Kikujiro

"Oh hey, Intelligent System's take on XCOM / Valkyria Chronicles? Disgusting!". GAF, I don't understand.

Art style is a big deal for many people and it's perfectly understandable, there are people who don't buy games with excessive anime style and people who don't buy games with roided soldiers. To many Codename Steam art style is bad, I know it's inspired by a famous American cartoonist, but I find it atrocious. And it doesn't look unique nor risky, just generic American cartoon.

That is exactly why Awakening is a success, though. Waifu and husbandos. That isn't why the game is rather bad compared to previous entries, though.

Not sure why you are bothered by a somewhat mediocre game being criticized.

I do agree that other AW fans hating on FE and any other IS franchise is kinda stupid, though :p

Although I feel like I am repeating myself, I certainly agree that the marriage system was *a* factor, but I don't agree with the idea it was the only factor in the game's success, which is a notion some people push relentlessly.

I don't have any problem with the game being critized at all. But "Awakening was successful only becoz waifu!" is largely an unsupported assertion rather than a critique. Of course, if people are using the existence of the marriage system in the game as some kind of self-evident negative to try to downplay the aspects the game got right in appealing to a wider audience, that says more about their own snobby attitudes than anything else.

Firemind

I feel like AW is in the same boat as F-Zero: the ROI just isn't worth it for Nintendo to pursue, especially for a tightly designed game such as AW. It may look simple, but there's a lot of design space to fill, even more if they don't feel like rehashing the same COs, units and maps.

It's a shame it's not represented in AGDQ 2015 and get some deserved exposure. I'd rather watch an amazing AW speedrun than an amazing FE: POR/RD speedrun.

Jackano

Why this not on that Nintendo? Why not F-Zero, why not Metroid, why not why, why?

They used to be the N°1 workforce in game development, they ain't nowadays. They simply have not enough manpower, not enough studios to sustain their own systems. This not only the 3DS and Wii U retail games, not only "HD development", this is also updates, DLC, digital eShop, and Virtual Console output. So there is barely enough place to second-tier franchise to get some releases.

At least, I'm glad they cut those second-tier franchises and let new IPs in their roadmap.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Art style is a big deal for many people and it's perfectly understandable, there are people who don't buy games with excessive anime style and people who don't buy games with roided soldiers. To many Codename Steam art style is bad, I know it's inspired by a famous American cartoonist, but I find it atrocious. And it doesn't look unique nor risky, just generic American cartoon.

I'd argue that I have yet to see this artstyle in a cartoon.

Advance Wars sold like ass so why would Nintendo be in a rush to make another one?

The arguement "Well they should just make another one that's good and it'll sell like hotcakes!" isn't even a real freaking argument and people need to stop pushing it out like its a real one.

I for one am glad the devs are working on a new IP instead of running one that doesn't sell into the ground.

Top Bottom