• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no advance wars 3ds?

So what is the argument of making AW over STEAM then?
"I like AW more than STEAM even though STEAM is not out and nobody can judge its profitability or if its even a good or bad game yet. Make more AW regardless of profitability."

Least that's what the argument sounds like to me whenever I see one of these threads.

E-phonk

Banned

I'm not making that argument. I don't mind STEAM, i'll see how it turns out once it gets released. Why wouldn't we be able to get both?

I would like an AW sequel though, and I wouldn't mind if it stays true to it's original formula, and being made by a small team. They can use the existing DS engine as far as I care. It's also the kind of game that would be perfect for DLC once it's done.

Back in the 90s Hudson made Game Boy Wars games maybe something like that should happ...*looks at the carcass of Hudson that have been consumed by Konami*

If you exclude those games the gap between Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars is less than Days of Ruin to today. In other words the series has been on creak for longer period...

Got it wrong. Game Boy Wars was by IS/Nintendo and Game Boy Wars Turbo was the Hudson one. The gap between Game Boy Wars and Super Famicom Wars is about the same as Days of Ruin to today.

It is a shame Days of Ruin didn't have a hard campaign or the War Room as gameplay wise it is great but content wise it worse than the other games.

Doczu

None other than "I am a fan of (insert dormant Nintendo IP) and would really like another one".
I have zero problems with STEAM, it's just that it isn't AW. And just like there is a vocal group that would want a new Metroid and a new F-Zero, there is also one that would kill for AW. I would stomp on Nintendo's HQ just so they make one...

The franchise has so much untapped potential it's staggering.

Reposting my wishlist from a previous thread here for posterity:

What I'd like to see in a new 3DS entry (c'mon Intelligent Systems!) is a return to Wars World and the old fun pop look, with Days of Ruin's map editor, CO personal-unit-command power-gathering/aura mechanics (but with Dual Strike's powers set), Dual Strike's features and a greater emphasis on units, new terrain, and weather effects.

New features I'd love:

• Placing direct-fire vehicles on 'plateaus' boosts their range by one square, turning them into short-range indirect-fire units. Also boosts existing indirect units' range by one square.
  • Dynamically-spreading fires. Fires can start in forests due to heavy fighting, and can spread out by a few tiles each turn, greatly damaging units which are caught, and insta-killing infantry. Air units have their movement through fire tiles reduced, due to the large smoke clouds. Fires eventually burn out, and are instantly put out if it rains. They also reveal a large area of the map in Fog-of-War.
  • Destructible bridges. New bridges can be built with a new bridge-laying unit over rivers.
  • Emplacements/deployables. Machine gun turrets, rocket turrets, AA turrets, cheaper drone-factory units (similar to the seaplane-carrier mechanic), deployable mines, barricades, trenches (infantry gain a huge defense bonus in them) etc.
  • Natural disasters. Tornadoes, hurricanes, thunderstorms, flooding, etc.
  • A 'bombard' ability for indirect-fire units. The player can choose to 'bombard' any tile within the unit's range, even tiles shrouded by Fog-of-War; the unit will immediately rest, and the bombardment starts during the enemy turn (for balance). That way, if the bombarded tile is already visible to the enemy, they can see it's being hit before their turn starts and avoid it. The bombardment phase occurs at the beginning of each turn (just like the resupply phase), and uses up 2 ammo each volley. It lasts until the player ends it, the unit moves or until the unit runs out of ammo. There is no indication that a tile has been targeted for bombardment, but a crater will appear on that tile after it has been hit by at least 2 volleys. Air units aren't affected.

A unit hit by a bombardment suffers 1 damage for every 2 HP of the bombarding unit (thus, a maximum of 5 dmg), and a penalty to its movement range that lasts 1 turn.

For example: an 9 out of 10 HP Rockets unit chooses to bombard a plains tile and then rests; the enemy turn starts and the first volley hits the tile. An enemy Medium Tank was already resting on that tile, thus suffering 4 dmg, and a 1-turn duration movement range penalty.

A city can be bombarded, reducing the amount of funds that city provides.

A factory/airport/seaport can be bombarded. While being bombarded, the price of constructable units from that base greatly increases (mimicking a siege situation/cut-off supplies) until it stops. A freshly-spawned unit does not suffer damage (basically spawn immunity) from the first volley that hits it, but will be damaged normally by subsequent volleys if it stays on that tile.

An HQ can be bombarded too, which freezes the enemy CO power meter, preventing it from building up until the bombardment stops.

And lastly, CO mechanics similar to that of Fire Emblem's perma-loss of characters when dead. A CO can jump into a unit just like in Days of Ruin to build up CO power, give aura, etc., but if the unit is destroyed, the CO pops out as an actual unit and needs to be extracted/guarded until safe again or back into another unit. If the CO is killed (or maybe captured, to fit in with the friendlier Wars World atmosphere) while exposed, the storyline changes or in special missions, it's game over.

iMQjWKw.jpg

Don't need more.

wtpPsiM.jpg

Piers

Because Advance Wars has effectively dried itself up by Days of Ruin.
Now it's a relic like Wave Race, Pilot Wings, F-Zero etc

Zalman

The fact that Advance Wars still barely has any presence in Smash Bros. makes me think it's dead. At least for a while.

robo2000

Neo Member
Why no Fzero 3ds? When i first heard about the 3DS, i was really expecting a Fzero (i mean 3d for a futuristic racing game would a logical and awesome experience imo)

Years went by and it never came :-(

Just port the gamecube version and give us a couple of new maps and online play and im in! Very lazy that they didnt even port the cube version with online play, very disapointing Nintendo!!!

rhandino

Banned
To the people wishing that Codename S.T.E.A.M bombs, What is wrong with you?

It's because the artstyle right? Because the gameplay will be stellar and the story feels like will be batshit insane (the good kind) and the music is a lock for quality... hell even the graphics looks good for a 3DS game (sans the reveal when people where having crazy expectations) so this only leaves the western comicbook artstyle. (Maybe too generic and not anime enough?)

I hope the game don't bomb and exceed expectations because I want to see more crazy ideas like that from them...

The art style isn't atrocious. It just happens to not be stereotypically anime/Japanese for once.

I've got to say, the art style of codename steam is just horrible. Really, really horrible. I really don't like it. At all. The comic book idea was a bad one. I want something original. Something that has the originality of a Destiny or something. I am not going to play this game because of the "hey I'm a 5 year old" graphics

TheMoon

I've got to say, the art style of codename steam is just horrible. Really, really horrible. I really don't like it. At all. The comic book idea was a bad one. I want something original. Something that has the originality of a Destiny or something. I am not going to play this game because of the "hey I'm a 5 year old" graphics

oO I just can't.

v0yce

To the people wishing that Codename S.T.E.A.M bombs, What is wrong with you?

It's because the artstyle right? Because the gameplay will be stellar and the story feels like will be batshit insane (the good kind) and the music is a lock for quality... hell even the graphics looks good for a 3DS game (sans the reveal when people where having crazy expectations) so this only leaves the western comicbook artstyle. (Maybe too generic and not anime enough?)

I hope the game don't bomb and exceed expectations because I want to see more crazy ideas like that from them...

Is anyone wishing for STEAM to bomb? I just see people saying it probably will.

And the art isn't just "western comicbook" it looks like a cheap western comicbook from 10 years ago. It's really bad.

Japanese developed tactics games/SRPGs are declining in numbers, not just AW. What's left are mostly Idea Factory style fanservice games. It mainly comes down to sales, or lack of sales.

Western devs have been picking up the slack lately, like Firaxis, Slitherine, Full Control, and Hunted Cow. You can find lots of good recent tactics games on Steam or iOS/Android from those devs and others.

Firemind

Advance Wars sold like ass so why would Nintendo be in a rush to make another one?

The arguement "Well they should just make another one that's good and it'll sell like hotcakes!" isn't even a real freaking argument and people need to stop pushing it out like its a real one.

I for one am glad the devs are working on a new IP instead of running one that doesn't sell into the ground.
Xenoblade sold like shit too considering it came out on the Wii juggernaut; it barely got a NA release. Yet here we are in 2015 with the sequel nearing completion.

Esque7

Why are people hating on Steam? When you say it looks like ass, what do you mean? The game play looks amazing, and the art style isn't anime for once.

Also, the last advance wars didn't even release in Japan until recently as a free download, so bringing sales into the discussion doesn't really mean much. IS has just been really busy with other projects, I'm sure AW will come back someday.

RM8

Art style is a big deal for many people and it's perfectly understandable, there are people who don't buy games with excessive anime style and people who don't buy games with roided soldiers. To many Codename Steam art style is bad, I know it's inspired by a famous American cartoonist, but I find it atrocious. And it doesn't look unique nor risky, just generic American cartoon.
I understand this, and of course we all have the right to dismiss games for whatever reason, but this is indeed a bit shallow. The game can potentially be incredible, and especially for fans of AW, it'd be better if Nintendo sees there's a market for strategy games on their handhelds.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

The post in this is so ironic that I think I will find myself unable to get anemia.

Is anyone wishing for STEAM to bomb? I just see people saying it probably will.

And the art isn't just "western comicbook" it looks like a cheap western comicbook from 10 years ago. It's really bad.

It reminds me more of something along the lines of The Brave and the Bold, and that's a nice thing to be based on.

Top Bottom