• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why so few graphically outstanding games on 360?

360 has received more attention than any system this gen. Just about every game this is made from the ground up on 360 and then ported to other systems.

Yet i cant think of a single game on 360 that really stands out graphically. Make no mistake there are alot of great looking games. Just no truly outstanding ones. No game that makes you think, how is that even possible.

360 is almost unique in this regard. Just about every system in history has had a handful of games that truly look above and beyond the rest on the platform. From nes to genesis to psone, ps2 hell even the original xbox had games that truly looked beyond anything else on the platform like ninja gaiden or riddick. 360 really doesn't have that.

there is no return of the joker, god of war 2 or thunder force 4 or lionheart on 360.

why is this?

Is it the hardware itself?, ms policy? current development philosophy? multiplatform development.

LiK

4925.gif

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
360 has received more attention than any system this gen. Just about every game this is made from the ground up on 360 and then ported to other systems.

Yet i cant think of a single game on 360 that really stands out graphically. Make no mistake there are alot of great looking games. Just no truly outstanding ones. No game that makes you think, how is that even possible.

360 is almost unique in this regard. Just about every system in history has had a handful of games that truly look above and beyond the rest. From nes to genesis to psone, ps2 hell even the original xbox had games that truly looked beyond anything else like ninja gaiden or riddick. 360 really doesn't have that.

there is no return of the joker, god of war 2 or thunder force 4 or lionheart on 360.

why is this?

Is it the hardware itself?, ms policy? current development philosophy? multiplatform development.

Its you. end of discussion.

RedSwirl

I'd say Gears 3 (edit: damn got beat), but it's probably because the 360 has relatively few exclusives compared to other platforms today. It's the main platform for multiplatform games and that's been enough for Microsoft, but almost everything on it also get's a PC or PS3 version.

The reason the PS3 get's lookers like Killzone, Uncharted, and God of War, is because those games are developed straight to that system's metal. The devs for those games don't have to worry about eventually having to port the games, so they exploit everything they can for THAT particular hardware. The 360 doesn't have as many games made for it like that.

burgerdog

Every time this thread gets made I always mention Banjo Nuts and Bolts. Actually, all of rare's games look amazing on 360. One of the few devs who seems to use parallax mapping on the console.

V_Arnold

Red Dead Redemption on Xbox 360 puts everything to shame that is on the current consoles, so that is one juggernaut for you.

aFIGurANT

Also Alice: MR disproves that PS3 > 360 for multiplat. on a good screen that thing is pretty much flawless and supposedly that's not the case with the PS version...

Mohonky

Few games use an engine specifically designed for the Xbox360, it's usually just a licensed engine. It also seems like the studio's in Microsoft are less concerned with trying to make a game that is a technical powerhouse unlike studio's like Guerilla and co. Just didn't seem as high priority.

Mind you, Bizarre Creations were always pretty good at spectacular looking games.

Edit: I forgot Rare as well. Those guys make great looking games.

rdrr gnr

It's kind of funny that the question posed is "why so few" and Gears 3 is mentioned three times in a row.
Yeah. Well, to be fair, I think it looks pretty good. Can't think of too much else, odd, given most of the games I own for 360 are or were exclusives at one point. Alan Wake looks good when it doesn't spend most of its time in dark washed-out forests.
Red Dead Redemption on Xbox 360 puts everything to shame that is on the current consoles, so that is one juggernaut for you.
You're right. The disparities between the two versions were unbelievable. Game-breaking, almost. Wait...

Blue Dragon
Kameo
Project Gotham games
Dead Rising
Mass Effect 1 & 2 (originally a Xbox exclusives)
Lost Planet

All those games hold their own against the the latest in their respective genres years after their releases.

Joni

Too easy to develop for. Everybody can get quite a lot of power out of the system so you get a lot of good looking games that are near the fantastic looking games. PS2 was a bitch to develop for, so only a couple of studio's managed to get it.

That or most developers realize you don't have to have the best looking game to sell your game on the 360, just a fun one.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Halo Reach is quite impressive tech wise. The dynamic lighting tech is a sight to behold. Even Bayonetta and Gears of War 3 show what the system is capable off. It's quite unfair to say that the 360 has few graphically outstanding games.

I dont really think gears is that oustanding graphically on xbox 360, compared to other 360 games. great looking game no doubt.

Its not like riddick or ninja gaiden on xbox.

It looks great. But not head and shoulders above other xbox 360 games.

maybe its middleware engine use. Even so, games like splinter cell chaos theory looked fucking bonkers on xbox and it used the same engine family.

so i dont know.

I can kind of see where the OP is coming from, looking at other systems like PS2, Wii, original Xbox etc. there are plenty of games that stand out from the pack and make you say "wow, I didn't think that system could do that!" But on Xbox 360, pretty much every game looks like it's around the same level technically.

hongcha

Most multiplat games look slightly better on X360 than PS3. Also, for JRPGs, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are two of the best looking, even today.

It doesn't matter much though, every home console has some games with fantastic visuals.

Top Bottom