• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why so few graphically outstanding games on 360?

Synless

i only downloaded the ps3 demo and i thought the game looked fine on ps3. people exaggerate the shit out of things on here.

If you play it off the disc the amount of texture loading is insane! It's not hyperbole either, I compared my buddies PS3 version to the 360 version and it looked bad with all the textures loading everything you spun around.

Microsoft limits exactly how developers can use the hardware. I'm not a tech know it all, but from what I've read elsewhere, Microsoft strictly enforces how developers use the API's. You can't find a truly custom way to do things, which limits how different each developer can do things, which in turn limits just how different or how far a developer can push the hardware. The upside is that this makes backwards compatibility much easier to do down the road, because every game is using the hardware in very predictable ways. That is why Microsoft has such strict rules, and it's why it's very likely the next Xbox will have full backwards compatibility.

Sony on the other hand allows much more freedom in how developers use the hardware. This allows for some stunning custom programming, particulary their first party studios. The downside to this route is that it makes backwards compatibility much more challenging down the road, as each game could be using the hardware in very different ways.

I haven't played the 360 version, but the PS3 version was pretty bad with texture loading. Even zooming in with a sniper would cause textures right next to you to reload. Once everything was loading things looked fine but most of the larger cities even turning your head 30 degrees would cause textures to pop out.

I have RAGE on PS3 as well, the disc version and this is correct. It is very distracting.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't see it lacking in much of anything. It has a lot of pre-baked lighting and shadows, but the textures are good and it runs at 720p (most of the time). I don't see how it is any less technologically impressive then something like Killzone, Gears, or Uncharted.
The only technologically impressive thing about Rage is 60fps. It's got last-gen lighting, shadows and low poly models compared to the leading 30fps games of this generation.
The PS3 version runs much better if you have a 7200rpm hdd or ssd in your PS3. Texture loading is crap with the standard 5400rpm hdd.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Judging from what we've seen from Halo 4 thus far really helps null and void this thread.

Unreleased games only seen in bullshots always are the best looking games out. But that being said, I hope the biggest budget game on a 7 year old console gets the top spot.

LuCkymoON

Banned
lol, you do know the game was built on the unreal engine right? there are maybe 30 other unreal engine games which proves the opposite. your logic is baffling, thats like saying the colts were the best team last year because they won 2 games... guess what they lost the other 14.

you're not even accurate to point out alice MR because the only thing the ps3 did better in alice was anti aliasing, the ps3 version has worse textures, lower resolution effects, slightly worse framerate.

its clear as day if you want to dispute my claims go ahead and take a read.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-alice-madness-returns-face-off

edit: LOL fuck me, misread post

it's amazing that the PS3 can't properly do alpha transparencies.

nasos_333

360 has received more attention than any system this gen. Just about every game this is made from the ground up on 360 and then ported to other systems.

Yet i cant think of a single game on 360 that really stands out graphically. Make no mistake there are alot of great looking games. Just no truly outstanding ones. No game that makes you think, how is that even possible.

360 is almost unique in this regard. Just about every system in history has had a handful of games that truly look above and beyond the rest on the platform. From nes to genesis to psone, ps2 hell even the original xbox had games that truly looked beyond anything else on the platform like ninja gaiden or riddick. 360 really doesn't have that.

there is no return of the joker, god of war 2 or thunder force 4 or lionheart on 360.

why is this?

Is it the hardware itself?, ms policy? current development philosophy? multiplatform development.

I dont agree that 360 has no spectacular looking games at all, many games on it made me though how they are possible, especially for the specific hardware

Kameo, Alan Wake, Banjo 3, Mass Effect, Gears 2-3 etc etc and now Witcher 2, Halo 4 seem to take it even further

bob page

witcher 2 is out soon and that looks the best game on consoles in my opinion.

Oh yes, I can't wait for this.

Anyway, I don't understand the OP. I've owned both console since launch and both have games that have impressed the hell out of me. In fact, now that I think about it, I've been disappointed by visuals more often on certain PS3 titles because of insane hyperbole blowing up my expectations (like the jaggie-fest that was Uncharted 3).

Skyrim and RDR on 360 have the best looking environments out of any games I've played, but I think the effects and post-processing in the latest Killzone games can't be matched on the 360.

KageMaru

Microsoft limits exactly how developers can use the hardware. I'm not a tech know it all, but from what I've read elsewhere, Microsoft strictly enforces how developers use the API's. You can't find a truly custom way to do things, which limits how different each developer can do things, which in turn limits just how different or how far a developer can push the hardware. The upside is that this makes backwards compatibility much easier to do down the road, because every game is using the hardware in very predictable ways. That is why Microsoft has such strict rules, and it's why it's very likely the next Xbox will have full backwards compatibility.

Sony on the other hand allows much more freedom in how developers use the hardware. This allows for some stunning custom programming, particulary their first party studios. The downside to this route is that it makes backwards compatibility much more challenging down the road, as each game could be using the hardware in very different ways.

While it's true certain functions need to run through the API, both systems have a software abstraction layer that imposes some limitations. That said, low level coding is done on both the ps3 and 360.

This same thing was touched on in one of the next Gen thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36702399&postcount=561

I don't see it lacking in much of anything. It has a lot of pre-baked lighting and shadows, but the textures are goodand it runs at 720p (most of the time). I don't see how it is any less technologically impressive then something like Killzone, Gears, or Uncharted.

Indoor texture resolution is very bad. I finished the 360 version and there is tons of texture pop in as well.

Oh yes, I can't wait for this.

Anyway, I don't understand the OP. I've owned both console since launch and both have games that have impressed the hell out of me. In fact, now that I think about it, I've been disappointed by visuals more often on certain PS3 titles because of insane hyperbole blowing up my expectations (like the jaggie-fest that was Uncharted 3).

Skyrim and RDR on 360 have the best looking environments out of any games I've played, but I think the effects and post-processing in the latest Killzone games can't be matched on the 360.

Uncharted 3s jaggiez are pretty minimal, its got a lot of shimmering though. The trade off is things in the distance are pretty bad but everything else is fantastic. MP games which have little draw distances compared to SP excel in IQ and levels like desert city look great but I still prefer Uncharted 2s AA method overall.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In my humble opinion, technical babble and flaws aside, there is nothing on any platform as I feel is overall as good looking as RDR on the 360.
I don't know if I would agree with that. Cry2 is graphically inconsistent, but it has its moments. Then there are moving paintings like Trine 2 and Journey.

GTAV is probably going to take the 360 graphical crown, if those gifs are from the 360 version.

NBtoaster

I don't know if I would agree with that. Cry2 is graphically inconsistent, but it has its moments. Then there are moving paintings like Trine 2 and Journey.

GTAV is probably going to take the 360 graphical crown, if those gifs are from the 360 version.

Felt like it needs a gif..

bridgeice4c.gif

Achieving that on console is insane. Their motion blur makes the collapsing scenes amazing.

First of all, this thread needs more Crysis 2, the game just looks amazing.

The 360 version of Crysis 2 in my opinion is still the best looking game on consoles. Add in the vast playing spaces in the game and it's also technically more impressive than corridor games like Killzone 3 and uc3.

By the way speaking of playing spaces look at how beautiful Halo 3 is and the scope of that game. Halo 3 is gorgeous. I laugh at people that say Halo 3 is ugly. That is straight up trolling. The ps3 could only dream of pumping out gorgeous visuals like that on that scale with such expansive playing levels.

TUROK

The 360 version of Crysis 2 in my opinion is still the best looking game on consoles. Add in the vast playing spaces in the game and it's also technically more impressive than corridor games like Killzone 3 and uc3.
Crytek should have bumped down the res of the 360 version down to 1024x720, just like the 360 version, or more. I would have taken a blurrier game in exchange for a better framerate.

Crytek should have bumped down the res of the 360 version down to 1024x720, just like the 360 version, or more. I would have taken a blurrier game in exchange for a better framerate.

Meh I am fully aware of the FPS numbers that were found by DF and in all honesty the game felt like a smooth ride to me and it never felt representative of those numbers at all.

For me the game would've had to be flat out broken like when skyrim was first released on the ps3. Then and only then would I discount any graphical achievements. Crysis 2 on the 360 was FAR from that broken experience and as I said was a smooth ride for me which is why I cannot ignore the visuals AND THE ENTIRE PACKAGE that Crytek brought to the table.

To put it bluntly the positives far outweigh the negatives in Crysis 2(360). I still don't think that people have really stopped and thought about what Crytek did with this game on the 360.

Uncharted 3 is undeniably, irrefutably better looking than gears 3. Gears3 looked meh; with muddy FMV; and looked nice but not "blowmybrainsout amazing" til they got to ashcity (which was standout in terms of art direction).

I have a "I wish I could quit you" love hate relationship with gears. 2 lackluster sequels; not sure if I'd want a fourth

Uncharted 3 is undeniably, irrefutably better looking than gears 3. Gears3 looked meh; with muddy FMV; and looked nice but not "blowmybrainsout amazing" til they got to ashcity (which was standout in terms of art direction).

I have a "I wish I could quit you" love hate relationship with gears. 2 lackluster sequels; not sure if I'd want a fourth

We must have been playing different games...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

That might be true, but those aren't good UC3 shots to use to prove that point. They look really aliased and the lighting on Drake looks flat.

The vast majority of the cutscenes are in-game. Too bad some crucial moments are indeed confined to less-than-youtube quality heavily compressed vids.

Uncharted 3 looks cleaner. But Gears 3 is a looker, some levels are just as good as the best Uncharted has to give.

But yes, the level of polish the Uncharted series achieved makes the games undeniably better looking, even though the difference really isn't that big when you carefully analize both games.

I'm replaying Gears 3 on a 720p projector lately, and it really shines. It could have used a little anti-aliasing here and there though (and the same can be said about UC3, to be fair).

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

You gotta be crazy to think UC3 is that much better than Gears 3, I think they're roughly equivalent.

eso76

Gears3 looked meh;

the only good thing this thread did was push me to finally buy Gears 3, which i found at the local going-out-of-business Gamerush for outrageously cheap (everything was on sale with 60 to 80% discount).

I always thought Gears 2 was overrated as far as tech/graphics go, with little actual geometry and a lot of skyboxes pretending to be scenery.

Haven't played a lot of Gears 3 but i'm genuinely impressed. I remember reading "meh" comments when the game launched and thinking it wouldn't be much better than 2, but i was (and those comments were) wrong.

Gears 3 can definitely hold its own against Uncharted 3 and it's like the furthest a game could be from looking meh.
Like i said i haven't seen a lot so far, but the game is beautiful, certainly one of the best looking games available.
No, there's nothing 'vastly' superior or better looking, it's at the very least up there with the best.

Feindflug

No, it isn't "vastly better looking". This thread has taken a turn to the stupid.

"UC3 vastly better looking"
"Gears 3 is the jaggiest game I've ever played" e.t.c.

Comments like these is the reason why tech/graphics threads in gaf can't be taken seriously, especially when it comes to 360 games.

Top Bottom