• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Square Enix forgot to release the final fantasy franchise for the xbox answered.

EDMIX

Sounds like "tales from my ass" vol. 13 to me.

How many of SE's other properties were ported to other platforms prior to this gen when the similar x64 tech of PS4/Xbone/PC made it relatively cost-effective to do so?

Lets face it, the only reason this is happening is because the existing PS4 versions make porting to Xbone cheap, and in the case of the Switch, Nintendo are finally offering a platform with sufficient power to allow access to the portable market without having to basically rebuild each title from scratch.

As to the "eager to get on MS good side" thing. Why now exactly as opposed to last gen? Because let's face it their marketshare hasn't improved dramatically, and sorry but Xbox remains a distant third in their domestic and continental markets with zero reason to expect a sea change after 3 generations being rejected in Asia.

I mean, I see what you are saying. Maybe they want to test the waters to see if stuff like World Of FF 2 might do well on PS4 and Switch or PS4, Switch and XONE. For all we know they might just be seeing if they even have a market on XONE that justifies the ports. Wouldn't be the first time a publisher tried with XB only to just stop making games when they see they don't sell well.

hecatomb

Banned
?? Well FFXI from what I hear isn't a bad MMO, in fact many see it as one of the best ever made. Has nothing to do with just having the name FF as I know some FFXI players that don't play the main series, they just like FFXI. So I don't play it, I don't expect you to play or like it or anything, but stop ignoring the success of the game for a personal or emotional issue.
If FF11 wasn't a MMO I might have got it at the time, but its too late, theres no reason to go back and play it now.

EDMIX

If FF11 wasn't a MMO I might have got it at the time, but its too late, theres no reason to go back and play it now.

Ok...

I'm in the same boat, but.....what is the relevance of what you are saying? Why are you taking it so personal? What is being stated has nothing to do if you or I like the game personally, its simply saying enough did to make it successful and regarded as one of the best MMOs. So sure, you and I might have bought FFXI day 1 if it wasn't a MMO which is 100% true lol

That doesn't really have much to do with anything really considering it was able to succeed in that genre without us, so I tend not to apply personal or emotional feelings when talking about a series success, sales, profits etc. I mean, I don't like Madden or Call Of Duty personally, doesn't mean I'm going to question their success.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I mean, I see what you are saying. Maybe they want to test the waters to see if stuff like World Of FF 2 might do well on PS4 and Switch or PS4, Switch and XONE. For all we know they might just be seeing if they even have a market on XONE that justifies the ports. Wouldn't be the first time a publisher tried with XB only to just stop making games when they see they don't sell well.

The reality is that next gen is almost without question just going to offer continuity with what we have now; there are no really compelling reasons to expect otherwise when its already known that AMD are the tech partners for both Sony and MS. Hence a quick port made now should last not just for the remainder of this gen, but for the next one also. Essentially they can now migrate their legacy product onto a multi-platform format that should be good for the next decade or more.

EDMIX

The reality is that next gen is almost without question just going to offer continuity with what we have now; there are no really compelling reasons to expect otherwise when its already known that AMD are the tech partners for both Sony and MS. Hence a quick port made now should last not just for the remainder of this gen, but for the next one also. Essentially they can now migrate their legacy product onto a multi-platform format that should be good for the next decade or more.

Could be, thats what I'm thinking will happen.

I saw it in theaters
Same here. And I'll admit, I didn't hate it. I've always really enjoyed Squares character designs. And for CG at the time, movie looked really unique. Always loved that scene when the solders fall out of the sky, shoot that goo stuff at the ground, and land in it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Being objective, the way that CELL came to be the core of the PS3 was somewhat understandable, even if with the benefit of hindsight Sony would bitterly regret the decision to build around such a left-field choice. Furthermore that error was still affecting business even after the PS4's hardware design decisively corrected its mistakes, as its made exploiting its back-catalogue a lot more difficult than it ever should have been.

I think the relative conservatism of how they approached PS4-Pro shows just how mindful Sony are about continuity. It seems to me that they know that they have an advantage that needs to be protected at all costs, and I'm certain that its going to hold especially true for the next major system iteration. In turn this I feel is why MS are pulling out all the stops to try and be disruptive with GamePass and their focus on back-catalogue revivals; they realize that its going to increasingly difficult to draw users away when the next generational transition isn't going to act like a reset, just a checkpoint along a previously established route.

We’ll see how the final fantasy games sell on the Xbox, but it’s not up for debate that Japanese games sell MUCH worst on Xbox compared to PlayStation and that is why Square Enix and many other Japanese developers skip porting their games over.

Xbox gamers need to prove everyone wrong and support these titles if they want more. There is a reason games like gta and cod normally skip Nintendo systems. Companies know where the majority of their fan base are.

Atrus

Gold Member
There are no answers provided, just an unsupported theory of how Sony managed to influence Square-Enix based on their minor shareholder stake.
Apparently none of the other shareholders bothered to object in this scenario.

hecatomb

Banned
Ok...

I'm in the same boat, but.....what is the relevance of what you are saying? Why are you taking it so personal? What is being stated has nothing to do if you or I like the game personally, its simply saying enough did to make it successful and regarded as one of the best MMOs. So sure, you and I might have bought FFXI day 1 if it wasn't a MMO which is 100% true lol

That doesn't really have much to do with anything really considering it was able to succeed in that genre without us, so I tend not to apply personal or emotional feelings when talking about a series success, sales, profits etc. I mean, I don't like Madden or Call Of Duty personally, doesn't mean I'm going to question their success.
I mean everyone is allowed to have a opinion if a game is good or bad. If it hurts your feelings that someone says your game is bad, its not the end of the world. People also worship some game companies like they can never make a bad game, but if a game is bad its bad. People need to stop getting their feelings hurt over a video game. Also I remember some people trying to stream it on twitchtv, and people in the chat were laughing how bad the game was, so I'm not the only person who doesn't like the game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I mean everyone is allowed to have a opinion if a game is good or bad. If it hurts your feelings that someone says your game is bad, its not the end of the world. People also worship some game companies like they can never make a bad game, but if a game is bad its bad. People need to stop getting their feelings hurt over a video game. Also I remember some people trying to stream it on twitchtv, and people in the chat were laughing how bad the game was, so I'm not the only person who doesn't like the game.

huh? smh

Man, maybe you should re-read the post. I don't like FFXI... never said you couldn't, simply how on earth is that relevant to its success?

The issue I have is me or you not liking it is irrelevant to its sales, success, profit etc.
Something being "bad" is subjective my friend. You don't like FFXI, well neither do I ..., but I wouldn't call it "bad" simply cause I don't personally like it. I don't like lots of things, doesn't make them "bad". Based on this logic Epic should stop making Fortnight and we should never see Call Of Duty get released. Just sounds like a immature stance as I don't get why you are adding in your feelings or emotions in something that is subjective and differs from person to person. Dear god, I don't like the game too, buuuuuut I understand why millions bought and played it and liked it.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
huh? smh

Man, maybe you should re-read the post. I don't like FFXI... never said you couldn't, simply how on earth is that relevant to its success?

The issue I have is me or you not liking it is irrelevant to its sales, success, profit etc.
Something being "bad" is subjective my friend. You don't like FFXI, well neither do I ..., but I wouldn't call it "bad" simply cause I don't personally like it. I don't like lots of things, doesn't make them "bad". Based on this logic Epic should stop making Fortnight and we should never see Call Of Duty get released. Just sounds like a immature stance as I don't get why you are adding in your feelings or emotions in something that is subjective and differs from person to person. Dear god, I don't like the game too, buuuuuut I understand why millions bought and played it and liked it.
Its bad, cause its outdated, I don't know why people can't understand that, maybe people should look up the word in the dictionary. Theres a reason why some games are timeless classics, and FF11 will never be a timeless classic, why is that so hard to understand.

EDMIX

Its bad, cause its outdated, I don't know why people can't understand that, maybe people should look up the word in the dictionary. Theres a reason why some games are timeless classics, and FF11 will never be a timeless classic, why is that so hard to understand.

? Ok.

Still has users that play it, someone likes it even if its not you or me. I don't really get what you are arguing tbh. You legit don't understand that others think differently then you or? smh

hecatomb

Banned
? Ok.

Still has users that play it, someone likes it even if its not you or me. I don't really get what you are arguing tbh. You legit don't understand that others think differently then you or? smh
?? just cause some people play a game doesn't mean its good ?? I just said I'm not the only person who doesn't like the game smh ??? Theres a lot of people who play bad games all day time ??? Its like you can't understand why theres no reason to play a game thats every way inferior to world of warcraft smh ???

out·dat·ed
ˌoutˈdādəd/
adjective

1. out of date; obsolete.

Last edited:

EDMIX

?? just cause some people play a game doesn't mean its good ?? I just said I'm not the only person who doesn't like the game smh ??? Theres a lot of people who play bad games all day time ??? Its like you can't understand why theres no reason to play a game thats every way inferior to world of warcraft smh ???

ok.

Thats nice. Neither do I. What is your point exactly? You don't like a game......so? I'm not fully getting what you are angry at tbh and I don't get its relevance to the actual sales or success of FFXI.

hecatomb

Banned
ok.

Thats nice. Neither do I. What is your point exactly? You don't like a game......so? I'm not fully getting what you are angry at tbh and I don't get its relevance to the actual sales or success of FFXI.
I'm never going to agree with you, and you are clearly never going to understand why its a bad game.

Ignored.

EDMIX

I'm never going to agree with you, and you are clearly never going to understand why its a bad game.

Ignored.

Agree with me? LMFAO! I don't like the game either. What you are talking about?

Buddy, you might as well ignore as you don't understand that not liking a game is irrelevant to if it does well or not, simply how you view it. Its ok not to like it as neither do I.

But the point remains, who care? How is this relevant to the topic? Who is arguing with you to like the game? No where is anyone saying to like it, simply that someone did, many still play it and you thinking its bad isn't going to change that someone else think its good. You seem to have a massively hard time understanding this.

Last edited:

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member

Nobody will try to understand you, if you act this way. Using your opinions as true facts and make the only right way of thinking is just bad.

For you FFXI won't be a classic. But for many people it is and they don't care if it's outdated nor your *opinion*. For me FFXI will always be a game of fond memories.

Back ontopic.
I doubt these games will sell well on the Xbox. But atleast the JP devs are now making a push. But I think it's also there last push if it fails.

hecatomb

Banned
Nobody will try to understand you, if you act this way. Using your opinions as true facts and make the only right way of thinking is just bad.

For you FFXI won't be a classic. But for many people it is and they don't care if it's outdated nor your *opinion*. For me FFXI will always be a game of fond memories.

Back ontopic.
I doubt these games will sell well on the Xbox. But atleast the JP devs are now making a push. But I think it's also there last push if it fails.
The same can be said for a lot of people who don't like the game, and don't care about other peoples opinions who like the game. Anyway once the servers are completely shut down, no one is going to play a dead MMO. Also I don't care about peoples opinions that think its a good game, so far not a single one of you have any facts at all that it is a good game, besides your nostalgistic feelings for it.

Last edited:

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member
The same can be said for a lot of people who don't like the game, and don't care about other peoples opinions who like the game. Anyway once the servers are completely shut down, no one is going to play a dead MMO. Also I don't care about peoples opinions that think its a good game, so far not a single one of you have any facts at all that it is a good game, besides your nostalgistic feelings for it.

It's the another way around. First the mmo must be dead before they pull the plug. A bad mmo is gone in 2 years.

Why do I need to give facts. While they are right in front if you:
- 16 year old MMO
- Still monthly patches
- Still fan gatherings
- Just like FFXIV live letters
- People still play
- Still no F2P
- Biggest FF Cashflow ever ( FFXIV catching up now)

Yes, support wil end for the game someday. They are still using PS2 devkits at this moment. When those die, it's over with the support for the game. Only good games wil live long as memory or playersbase, like FFXI and WoW.

odhin

hmm, right... You also have not given any reason why its a bad game.
Oh wait, you've said its outdated. But then also said if you wanted to play a FF game you would play FF7, because that one can't in the slightest be considered to be an "outdated game" right?
Opinions man, how do they work?

Disclosure, I dont really like MMO's. And FF11 for that matter, never tried it, never will. And I actually remember hating on it when it released, as a kid, when I heard what type of game it would be, and was expecting other thing completely because of the name. I still can't understand why they didn't named it FF Online or something.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FFXI was and is great. That its still actively supported by both SE and its own community (FFXIAH, BG-Wiki, etc) after 16 years says a lot for its enduring popularity. What other PS2-era game can boast that?

Its also totally a FF game, so many elements and aspects will be familiar to fans of the franchise old and new that its straight up wrong to try and treat it as something other than a mainline entry. Just because its an MMO doesn't mean it doesn't have major story arcs, complete with epic ending cut-scenes and credit crawls, it has multiple ones.

hecatomb

Banned
It's the another way around. First the mmo must be dead before they pull the plug. A bad mmo is gone in 2 years.

Why do I need to give facts. While they are right in front if you:
- 16 year old MMO
- Still monthly patches
- Still fan gatherings
- Just like FFXIV live letters
- People still play
- Still no F2P
- Biggest FF Cashflow ever ( FFXIV catching up now)

Yes, support wil end for the game someday. They are still using PS2 devkits at this moment. When those die, it's over with the support for the game. Only good games wil live long as memory or playersbase, like FFXI and WoW.
that is the point though, once the online dies no one is going to play it, besides a few people who will only play it for nostalgic reasons. No one will want to play a single player MMOrpg.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The shell company never played a role after the GCN era. FFXIII on 360 should be enough evidence that this hypothesis in OP is wrong.

Dabaus

Banned
The most interesting part in those quotes is developers eager to get on Microsoft’s good side. Next gen will be fascinating.

Its baffling to me that SE would give a damn about MS's good side seeing how they are aligned with them on Tomb Raider which just bombed, Final fantasy games sell like 8:1 on playstation platforms and Xbox is literally dead in Japan. Either this is his baseless speculation or MS simply writes checks so big for late ports SE cant refuse. With that said I don't believe Japanese devs care much about xbox or about being on their good side/.

Clear said: "As to the "eager to get on MS good side" thing. Why now exactly as opposed to last gen? Because let's face it their marketshare hasn't improved dramatically, and sorry but Xbox remains a distant third in their domestic and continental markets with zero reason to expect a sea change after 3 generations being rejected in Asia."

This is a great point. Ms Standing is worse now than it was in the early 2014/15 because the sales ratio is worse now than it was then. Unless Sqaure Enix ignores things like market leader share, console sales, and platform sales split, and just want every game on every platform regardless of the sales. Id get wanting to be console agnostic, but trying to curry favoritism with the platform holder that's lost every generation and your games don't sell on despite millions in marketing deals is baffling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom