• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Why the Montreal bagel is the superior bagel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may explain why I used to go through a six-pack of bagels a week back when my local store ordered them from "Brossard Bagel". Shit was so good.

Now I shop at Super C and I don't think they have anything but the garbage I like to call "bagel-shaped bread".

Laekon

Why I think Montreal bagels are better straight up I like making sandwiches out of NYC style ones. Horrible for a diet but the a toasted bagel is a superior sandwich ingredient.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
One everything bagel. Thin layer of butter. Melted white Vermont extra sharp cheddar on top. Two strips of bacon.

Viewt

One everything bagel. Thin layer of butter. Melted white Vermont extra sharp cheddar on top. Two strips of bacon.

This is close to my breakfast sandwich that I make for my girlfriend when we're hungover or having a "be a couch zombie" day.

Basically, I make four strips of applewood smoked bacon (using the bacon method in the oven), taking it out when it's still pretty chewy. I set it off to the side to cool.

Then I scramble 4 eggs, seasoned with herb de provence, garlic salt, and lemon pepper. While the eggs are halfway to being done, I add in a fistful of Mexican taco cheese to mix with the eggs. Just before they're done, I tear up the bacon and add it to the mixture. I also throw in a little Co-Op Habanero Hot Sauce.

I throw healthy portions of this between two toasted everything bagels. I cut it in half to make it a little easier to eat. It is delicious and, when accompanied by a post-meal nap, can cure most hangovers.

Llyranor

...and what if I don't want my bagel to be sweeter?

edit: wait they're sweet? nah f that. im out.
It's barely sweet. There's a slight hint of it at most.

I iike bagels, but fuck cream cheese.
There are better things to top them with.

Like smoked salmon!!!

But for cheese spreads, I prefer boursin.

Fuck I want to go to Montreal now

I would fly up there just for the food

Come for the bagels and poutine! My favorite Montreal food is smoked meat, though.

43W2CKG.jpg

Kayhan

So New York can't even make good bagels.

What a shame.

At least you can still get a good New York slice at Sbarro.

Nothing better that getting some fresh sliced Montreal smoked meat from Lester's and some St. Viateur bagels, and making yourself a tall stack of heaven on Earth.

Boogie9IGN

When I visited NY last year I went to get bagels at like 3 places and didn't like any of them tbh :\

I much prefer the bagels here in the Bay Area. WIll definitely try some when I go to Montreal though

Dylan

Surprised this hasn't devolved into a St-Viateur vs Fairmount thread.

I'm a St-Viateur man myself, but mostly because we have a location in the Deeg.

Dali

I feel like GAF is a large part of why I gained weight. Haven't eaten a bagel in years but now I want one. I used to make a bagel sandwich with pineapple cream cheese, honey turkey, turkey bacon, and spinach leaves. So good.

antibolo

Banned
Allow me to blow all y'all minds by telling you that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made with a toasted Saint-Viateur bagel is the best thing.

Duuke

Being in Montreal, I wish I had access to New York style bagels. Montreal bagels are small, thin, and a pain to toast. Might as well be eating croutons dropped in cream cheese.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's endearing how every place's X food is better than -- wait for it! -- New York's X food.

I am sure Montreal's bagels are unique in actually being better than New York's.

Everyone thinks their food is better than NYC's food and they feel forced to write articles about it. Anyone ever notice how it never happens in reverse? There's a reason for that, we're comfortable in our supremacy.

MC Safety

Everyone thinks their food is better than NYC's food and they feel forced to write articles about it. Anyone ever notice how it never happens in reverse? There's a reason for that, we're comfortable in our supremacy.

As I said, it's endearing.

The rest of the world is special, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom