• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

Itachi87

Yes I do know, but how does that help me when I already said I am comfortable on consoles?
most of the console multi-platform games nowadays that release on PC all have controller support. aside from PC exclusive strategy games, most games have controller support.

diamount

Banned
I should have said "AAA single player exclusives", there plenty of AAA PC exclusives yes but most of them are either MMOs or F2P games. Traditional single players exclusives that are made to take advantage of the hardware aren't made anymore sadly though, OG Crysis and W2 were the last of their breed.

Kidding, right? You do realize the biggest Kickstarter campaigns were single player RPG's?

Sentenza

No you are a fanboy
No, I'm not. Stating it over and over is not going to make it true.

you argue every single point somebody makes against the pc
Of course, when it doesn't make sense (i.e "I like to play with a controller") or it's irrelevant to the points that are the premise to the thread (i.e. "I'm not used to it so I don't think it's good").

And let's not forget viruses, hackers, emergent AI taking control of your machine, not to mention locusts, meteors and other biblical plagues that could happen.

That too, but all I said was that PS2 emulation causes terrible controller lag to the point some of the games are just unplayable to me. Maybe if I spend $200 to upgrade to an i7, and another $100 for a new motherboard the lag won't be as bad. That's surely less expensive and easier to do that plopping down a whopping $30-$40 on a used PS2 and just plugging the thing into my TV.

How the fuck do you rate AAA? Budget? Scope? If the latter, there are bloody plenty 'AAA' pc exclusives.
Probably budget, by most people's definition.

They'd still be wrong making that statement as there's plenty of AAA PC games.

Honestly though, most of the best games this generation haven't been AAA games; Minecraft and Terraria were some of the best games this generation and I wouldn't label them AAA.

njean777

No, I'm not. Stating it over and over is not going to make it true.

Of course, when it doesn't make sense (i.e "I like to play with a controller") or it's irrelevant to the points that are the premise to the thread (i.e. "I'm not used to it so I don't think it's good").

Did I ever say kb/m is not good? No I didn't, I do not like it (which means it is my own opinion). And even you should know since you are an advocate that you must have a kb/m for some games on pc, controller support is not universal for every single game like it is on consoles.

jaypah

The only thing I don't like about the PC is that it took me so long to jump in. So many years wasted trying to ignore it and defend consoles against it when all I had to do was buy one and keep my consoles too. I'll always have consoles because, fuck yeah more games, but I missed out on a lot of fun by not having a PC. The deals, the random niche games, the customization... I used to liken my PC to a super console but it's even more than that. Actually, with how open PCs are it's damn near disrespectful to call it a super console.

Also, if you don't fancy KB/M (I only use it when I'm forced to) plug on a DS3 or 360 controller. Or buy a wireless receiver for the wireless 360 controller, problem solved.

Sentenza

Did I ever say kb/m is not good? No I didn't
I wouldn't even care if you did. That's beyond the point.
Controllers are an option even on PC for every multiplatform game and even for a fairly large amount of exclusives, so they are not an advantage of consoles. Objectively.

And even you should know since you are an advocate that you must have a kb/m for some games on pc, controller support is not universal for every game.
It's virtually ubiquitous for pretty much any game where it makes sense to use one.
Of course you are not going to play DOTA 2 with a controller on PC; on the other hand you are not going to play DOTA 2 at all on consoles, so that's hardly a "downside" of PC gaming.

I've got a pretty decent rig, but I never think of it as the "home base" for my taste. My favorite genres(action games, platformers, fighters, shooters, other assorted fast-paced games) tend to be on consoles only(or late ports of games I've already played to death like Metal Gear RIsing or Lords of Shadow), and I don't care for the genre exclusives PC tend to have(WRPGs, ARPGs, RTS, Adventure games, MOBAs, MMOs, etc). They're great for shooters, though! Playing Bioshock Infinite on High/1080p/60fps/wide FOV was like night and day with the console version.

I don't do a lot of modding, unless they're fixing something I dislike in a game. I rarely replay games, and when I do, I wanna experience that game again, the way the developers intended. I'm the kind of guy who picks Default Shepard in ME because otherwise it creates a disconnect in my mind from all the official Shepard artwork and presentation Bioware and it's affiliates create. So I don't miss out on adding gold guns or weird music cues and other assorted things.

I also do a lot of renting games, which saves me a lot of money. I redbox'd The Last of Us(using a coupon Wario64 gave me), played it, had a fantastic experience, sent it back, all for less than $5 bucks, minus the 7-minute drive to and from the local Wal-Greens' Redbox machine. I can't remember the last console game I paid full price for.

Like I said, I have a pretty good PC(might be time to upgrade this GTX 560 though), I enjoy playing the third party games in higher resolutions/framerates greatly, but I don't care for many of it's exclusives, and YOU CAN DO ANYTHING freedom is mostly lost on me.

Mileena

Banned
How the fuck do you rate AAA? Budget? Scope? If the latter, there are bloody plenty 'AAA' pc exclusives.

And 99% of the time they're strategy/MOBA or WRPG. I like gaming on PC, but I'm not gonna pretend they get good exclusives or anything. For instance, Dark Souls is the best PC game in years and it's a barebones console port.

You can keep your button mashers and shooters.

lol because mashing mouse1 10,000 times per second in some shitty MOBA and collecting hats is s0 h4rdc0re

Which destroys everyone's preconceptions then, doesn't it?

Nah I don't think so, the guy I was replying to claimed that gaming PCs are not worth it anymore and I agree with him. Outside of Total War, Arma and poorly optimized console ports nothing are made to take advantage of the current PC hardware.

The OP never suggests anyone should give up their consoles. The OP basically just suggests that the open platform gives enthusiasts opportunities to get more out of their games that other platforms do not.

Shambles

While PC is by far the best gaming platform out there it doesn't mean it's the only way to 'do gaming'. taking isn't a club you gain entrance to it's a hobby that people can take to whatever level they like. If someone just likes to play around in PlayStation home than good for them. The OP makes some good points but the thread would have been served a lot better by not using terms like hardcore

And I'm embarrassed for that first reply.

diamount

Banned
Nah I don't think so, the guy I was replying to claimed that gaming PCs are not worth it anymore and I agree with him. Outside of Total War, Arma and poorly optimized console ports nothing are made to take advantage of the current PC hardware.

You're an ignoramus.

diamount

Banned
And 99% of the time they're strategy/MOBA or WRPG. I like gaming on PC, but I'm not gonna pretend they get good exclusives or anything. For instance, Dark Souls is the best PC game in years and it's a barebones console port.

lol because mashing mouse1 10,000 times per second in some shitty MOBA and collecting hats is s0 h4rdc0re

Lol, competitive DOTA2/Starcraft is button mashy alright.

I wouldn't even care if you did. That's beyond the point.
Controllers are an option even on PC for every multiplatform game and even for a fairly large amount of exclusives, so they are not an advantage of consoles. Objectively.

Controllers are an option but up until recently, and even now, some quality PC games either do not support them (XInput for DirectX) or you need to map keys to them which does not add pressure sensitivity to the buttons or the joysticks. Depending on the game this could be an issue, especially for people accustomed to consoles.

njean777

I dont agree with this either, it is still worth it to have a pc. I may not like KB/M but even I can argue that a pc is still worth having for the exclusives.

maverick40

You're an ignoramus.

I am sorry but you will never ever get a game like The Last of Us, Littlebigplanet any Nintendo Franchise and even Beyond: Two Souls on the pc. The exclusive are the reason I have kept with consoles the whole time and cheap indie and free MOBA games on steam will never make me change. All of the big game releases that are on pc come out on consoles and with the PS4 you will start to see less and less exculsives on pc.

PC's invariably run into problems with certain games, especially if you like to play games on day 1 before the patches come out. Deus Ex: HR really soured my on the PC gaming experience. I couldn't get more than 10 minutes into the game without a CTD. After several hours of frustrating research I find out that my GPU is what they call "non-reference" (first I had heard of this) and that the only way to get the game to run in DX11 mode was to increase the voltage a bit. After that the game played fine, but fuck having to do research to get games to work and fuck having to have knowledge of things like "reference" cards. I much prefer to simply pay $400 for a console and turn it on.

diamount

Banned
I am sorry but you will never ever get a game like The Last of Us or Littlebigplanet or even Beyond: Two Souls on the pc. The exclusive are the reason I have kept with consoles the whole time and cheap indie and free MOBA games on steam will never make me change. All of the big game releases that are on pc come out on consoles and with the PS4 you will start to see less and less exculsives on pc.

One outlier in a sea of crap doesn't disprove my point.

diamount

Banned
lol you know it's true. I have a gaming PC btw, but it's the truth that outside of franchises (Arma, Total War) and console ports nothing is made to take advantage of high-end PCs anymore.

It's obvious why that is the case, to appeal to the lowest common denomiator. But go look up Star Citizen and tell me that doesn't take advantage of hardware.

hemtae

I am sorry but you will never ever get a game like The Last of Us, Littlebigplanet any Nintendo Franchise and even Beyond: Two Souls on the pc. The exclusive are the reason I have kept with consoles the whole time and cheap indie and free MOBA games on steam will never make me change. All of the big game releases that are on pc come out on consoles and with the PS4 you will start to see less and less exculsives on pc.

Consoles will never get any game like project eternity or Europa universalis which I don't see changing. And I doubt the ps4 will spell the end of the pc exclusive.

Novocaine

PC will always be my main jam because it appeals to me the most. But I also have a PS3 and a Vita, and soon a 3DS.

I don't really understand why people are so loyal to one and only one platform. If you are really into gaming you are doing yourself a great disservice by not having multiple platforms at your disposal. Of course unless the issue is money then that is totally understandable.

It doesn't, it's made so that it can run on a dual core CPU and a GTX 460 from 2009.

Yes, if you turn down settings and make compromises. No game will ever specifically target only the absolute highest end and not scale to lesser machines. That doesn't mean the game isn't designed to take advantage of the extra power of the new hardware. It's getting native Oculus Rift support which will stress the most powerful system when they are trying to get 1080p 3D at 60 fps.

If your definition of taking advantage of modern PC hardware is making a game that will literally only run on top end machines, then yes, there is no incentive for devs to do that. There are, however, opportunities for devs or even end users to allocate those extra resources.

raphanum

It's definitely a must for all core gamers to try PC gaming as there are a SHITLOAD of games that'll never reach consoles. Yes, the visuals and performance are better on PC, but ultimately it's also about gameplay. Play what you want and enjoy it. However, the amount of "elitism" and downright immaturity in this thread is quite.. shocking. How can somebody be stereotyped -- or even feel -- elite because they game on PC exclusively? Elite my arse. The only difference between a PC and console gamer is the choice of purchase you made. That's it.

diamount

Banned
It doesn't, it's made so that it can run on a dual core CPU and a GTX 460 from 2009.

Which is my point. It's been developed to scale to all sorts of hardware, something that good can be played on old hardware. It continues to destroy 'omg u need a billion dollars for pc gaming' argument that people keep throwing around.

this topic is extremely sensitive apparently

chill out

we're all friends

It is and that is unfortunate because I think the OP starts out innocently enough with some poor wording here and there.

I think he was speak for gamers specifically like me and obviously that doesn't include everyone on this forum. I game on all platforms but the customization and control I have over the PC makes it the platform I hold most important. I think the term hardcore ruffles a lot of feathers, though, because it carries a lot of baggage.

TriAceJP

This next gen seems to be having a lot more Japanese PC support. I mean, take a look at what's happened recently. Capcom Fighters, Square RPGs (well, RPG), Metal Gear Rising, Dark Souls etc have already been released. Rumours of Final Fantasy XV getting a PC release.

I think this will be the generation that the Japanese will break into the PC market.

I am still buying a PS4 for those obscure/niche Japanese titles, but I don't think I'll be using it all that much.

Top Bottom