• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

mkenyon

Banned
Hardcore. Why is that on top of the pedestal? Why is there even a pedestal? Why can't I enjoy the product I payed for without being called a casual or a console pleb? It's all gaming so it's all good right? It's like that kid who got the newest toy in grade school and maked all the other kids feel like shit for not having it. It's all pretty immature.
I don't think you read the OP.

He's not listing a binary choice. It's also been stated many times that he wishes he used the word Enthusiast in the OP title, rather than Hardcore.

Take Team Fortress 2. This game has been out since what '07 maybe. I still play it all the time. It gets constant updates and tere are a shit ton of people playing it non stop. Also some of the drops I get I sell on the store and that is money I use to pay for some of my games.

Things like this just aren't possible on the consoles. Games just don't have a long tail at all. I still buy the consoles to play a few first party exclusives but most of the time you will find me on my PC
That is one of my favorite things about PC gaming. Games have a much longer lifespan. It is annoying that on console two year old titles are dead online.

This thread still going on?

There isn't really any science or argument here. If you define 'hardcore' gamers as ones that wanna experience all the games at there best, PC as the core base makes sense.

PC for all the cool indies and the best version of most of the AAA 3rd party games.

PS4/Xb1/wiiU for the occasional exclusives.

TheLight

I don't think you read the OP.

He's not listing a binary choice. It's also been stated many times that he wishes he used the word Enthusiast in the OP title, rather than Hardcore.

I wasn't talking to him/her. The last page had constant use and definition of the term 'hardcore'.

I love PC gaming, it's hands down the best way to game and I'm positive that almost everyone that actually tries it will end up sticking with it. Digital distribution managed to liberate the platform from the clutches of the publishers and retailers, which is why we're now seeing a huge variety in game types and the rebirth of beloved old-school genres.

PC gaming has gotten a lot easier and a lot cheaper to get into. The last hurdle for true mass-market acceptance is the creation of a good, simple and cheap entry point, which is probably the whole point of the Steambox. If Valve play their cards right, I see no reason why the PC can't become gaming's Android.

I used to have a good PC back in 2003 but couldn't (and wouldn't) pay for upgrades to stay ahead of the consoles, so I stopped gaming on the PC. I haven't missed it at all to be honest.

After reading these threads I can't believe how am I playing games on my 5 years old PC. According to nearly 1/3 of the posts this thing should be in the dumpster years ago. And yet there is only 2 games I failed to play with this machine GTA4 and Planetside 2. GTA4 didn't like my 256MB HD3850 and gave me a very low fps around 15. Planetside refused to work at all but I didn't bother much since I didn't pay for it.

Everdred

New Console Generation 101

Buy new console
2-3 years later
Upgrade PC

Rinse. Repeat.
Yep. This is exactly what I've been doing the last few cycles. I built a new rig in 2008, upgraded it in 2010. I'll be purchasing a PS4 (maybe an Xbox One too), waiting 3 years and then building a new PC again.

think

Neo Member
At this point, I'd say that this is typically the case. Particular given Steam's push to support a TV friendly interface, I think it's rare that controller-friendly games will release on the platform without controller support. The further you go back, though, the more hit and miss it becomes.

As someone who grew up playing both PC and consoles, at this point I have to say I'd rather have a game pad in my hands than M+KB while gaming. I'm glad to see that PC is getting a lot more support for controllers, but I believe that it will unfortunately be quite a long time before you can enjoy a multiplayer shooter with a controller on PC, since most of your opponents will destroy you with M+KB.

As someone who grew up playing both PC and consoles, at this point I have to say I'd rather have a game pad in my hands than M+KB while gaming. I'm glad to see that PC is getting a lot more support for controllers, but I believe that it will unfortunately be quite a long time before you can enjoy a multiplayer shooter with a controller on PC, since most of your opponents will destroy you with M+KB.

Yeah, if being competitive is your prime concern, you're better off sticking with keyboard and mouse on PC. Though as controller support becomes increasingly common, assuming matchmaking is decent, you should be able to find level competition, even if you'll never be the best. I'm not much of an online combatant, myself, so none of this means much to me. But I can see your concern.

TheLight

Not wanting to tweak every possible aspect of your gaming experience to be what you want it to be does sound objectively less hardcore.
But who CARES not being hardcore isn't the end of the world and being hardcore doesn't glorify you. It's a title, and a useless one at that. If you're enjoying yourself on consoles it's fine, you aren't obliged to do anything to conform to some imaginary hardcore crown nor do you deserve to get shat on by the elitist steam drones(not talking about anyone in here, that is more general).

But who CARES not being hardcore isn't the end of the world and being hardcore doesn't glorify you. It's a title, and a useless one at that. If you're enjoying yourself on consoles it's fine, you aren't obliged to do anything to conform to some imaginary hardcore crown nor do you deserve to get shat on by the elitist steam drones(not talking about anyone in here, that is more general).

For someone who is supposedly indifferent to labels, you sure are quick in assigning them to other people. I agree that the term hardcore isn't some coveted title that bestows nobility or anything, but you really could have avoided the "elitist drones" part.

Arulan

It isn't about how the game is designed, or the fact that it's on PC, simply put, Keyboard and Mouse is objectively more effective than a Controller. If you could use a Keyboard and Mouse on console FPS the results would be the same.

If you're referring to aim assist, artificial systems which take control away from the player are awful.

I understand some people may prefer to use a controller, that is their preference, but they can't overlook that if they're playing with others using keyboard and mouse they're at a disadvantage in terms of the tools being used.

TheLight

For someone who is supposedly indifferent to labels, you sure are quick in assigning them to other people. I agree that the term hardcore isn't some coveted title that bestows nobility or anything, but you really could have avoided the "elitist drones" part.
I really couldn't have as I see it all the time. Especially in threads talking about console specs and even within my own group of friends. That pompous part of the community is easily the worst part.

Superflat

Ever since I built my PC a year ago, that's where I do most of my gaming. Third party games look/play better on this rig and it's where I do 95% of my multiplayer/competitive gaming right now.

I still love having a console, playing on a large screen, and I can't imagine not playing really amazing exclusives, The Last of Us being the most recent and notable one. When next gen starts I'll likely do more third party gaming on the new console since it'll be another 4 years or so until I can get an affordable video card that will easily exceed PS4/XB1's capabilities.

The Cycle. I am now a part of it.

Bodom78

No. I simply prefer gaming on consoles.

I associate PC with work and Console with relaxation.

I also don't like nor want to build PC's, edit configs, tweak settings.

I really couldn't have as I see it all the time. Especially in threads talking about console specs and even within my own group of friends. That pompous part of the community is easily the worst part.

Here's a question though: Do you think it is the worst part because they're doing something wrong, or simply because you don't like what they have to say? Since you mentioned the issue of console specs, if you listen to the latest Techreport podcast the people there are talking about console specs and the fabled console optimizations and they're saying the same things that many of us have been pointing out here on GAF.

I think we should all be a little careful when characterizing whole groups of people. Above all, we should stop and consider if we are in a position to judge an opinion objectively, or if we are too emotionally invested to do so. That goes for everyone, PC and console gamers alike, hardcore or not.

RM8

As someone new-ish to PC gaming, it's surprising how you hardly need a monster PC to play most games - at least in my case. I own a vanilla all in one 2011 PC that runs perfectly even recent releases like Sonic Racing Transformed. PC is one platform more in my case, though, since most games I want are still handheld or console exclusive.

TheLight

Here's a question though: Do you think it is the worst part because they're doing something wrong, or simply because you don't like what they have to say? Since you mentioned the issue of console specs, if you listen to the latest Techreport podcast the people there are talking about console specs and the fabled console optimizations and they're saying the same things that many of us have been pointing out here on GAF.

I think we should all be a little careful when characterizing whole groups of people. Above all, we should stop and consider if we are in a position to judge an opinion objectively, or if we are too emotionally invested to do so. That goes for everyone, PC and console gamers alike, hardcore or not.
I'm no idiot. I know that PC outpower consoles and it's a matter of fact. I have nothing to be emotionally invested in, that is just how it is.

I've seen people talk down to console owners, belittle, and outright attack their intelligence and judgement. That is wrong just by basic human standards. By no means am I saying this is the majority of PC gamers, becauee they aren't.

mkenyon

Banned
Apparently *you* care. There's no subjective placement of social status implied in the term, you definitely have some projection issues going on here. Stop being offensive and think about the conversation that is going on in here, rather than the conversations you've had elsewhere that you seemingly want to drag in here.
No. I simply prefer gaming on consoles.

I associate PC with work and Console with relaxation.

I also don't like nor want to build PC's, edit configs, tweak settings.
That's fine, as you are not who the OP nor this thread is geared towards. Carry on and enjoy things :p

TheLight

Apparently *you* care. There's no subjective placement of social status implied in the term, you definitely have some projection issues going on here. Stop being offensive and think about the conversation that is going on in here, rather than the conversations you've had elsewhere that you seemingly want to drag in here.
Yeah, I am curious about the term hardcore and why it is so glorified. There is totally a social superiority complex going on with the term hardcore and the placement of that term on gamers. This conversation has been going on for pages and I responded to someone who reaponded to me. Hell, this thread has hardcore in the title so I am hardly going off on a tangent. Also, I have said nothing offensive to or about anyone in here nor to you. And again, I am merely talking about the term hardcore and what goes in with "hardcore" community and gaming in genrral and steam.

mkenyon

Banned
Insecure people who are a part of any sort of self-identifying group will cry out superiority over another similar group. Trek over Star Wars. Warhammer over 40K. Some anime thing over another anime thing. Then of course there's always political parties.

I think you are confusing my disagreement with your implied social status with what you are seeing as a literal application of the term 'hardcore'.

There's no pedestal, and if some claim they are on one, then they're suffering from a much broader issue which can be applied to tons of different social situations. Focusing on this one in particular isn't going to bear any fruit.

Top Bottom