• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

$5 a month. Big woop. I honestly don't understand how people can complain about $5 a month when I spend double that a day on food.

I think Sony and Microsoft are against consumer freedoms because they force a charge on something that should be free. They are extorting people for being into their limited, hindering system. How the hell people can praise Sony for consumer freedom, and not being down on them for this, is completely beyond me.

I don't think PSN is a good value because they are giving you games that doesn't sell that much anymore. To me that is just a bait and switch to hide you from the fact that:

1) its a highly restricted service build into their ecosystem. In the sense thatr you don't have a lot of choice. when you dont have a choice you don't get a lot of competition, and thats not good for consumers.

2) it shouldn't cost a thing(at least I dont think so) when you already paid for the consoles, the games, the season pass, the dlc, your own internet and so on. Because after all, you are using your own internet? sure, they provide Dedicated servers.. for a while. And then it's over.

What Microsoft and Sony should be doing, instead of pretending they know what consumers want, is to make the things that should be free, and then charge for the things that actually give them those costs.

edit: for clarification

I love PC gaming, it's hands down the best way to game and I'm positive that almost everyone that actually tries it will end up sticking with it. Digital distribution managed to liberate the platform from the clutches of the publishers and retailers, which is why we're now seeing a huge variety in game types and the rebirth of beloved old-school genres.

PC gaming has gotten a lot easier and a lot cheaper to get into. The last hurdle for true mass-market acceptance is the creation of a good, simple and cheap entry point, which is probably the whole point of the Steambox. If Valve play their cards right, I see no reason why the PC can't become gaming's Android.

Yeah, but if you cancel your subsricption all the "free" games are gone on PS+

Not only that, but would you even expect come the next generation that you will have access / backwards compatability with all your previous generation games? My friend has for over 300-400 dollars worth of Xbox Live Arcade games. He can't transfer ANY of that stuff over to the new system. I think that's beyond crazy.

If I was told that my Steam games wouldn't work anymore after upgrading to a IvyBridge Processor, I would lose my shit.

On the other hand; none of us have any guarantee that Steam and Valve won't suddenly stomp on our rights and stop doing what is rights. But. BUT, so far, through these last dozen years they have done really good.

I think Steam in many ways need to be more snappy and have better performance, but so far they have done good. I don't feel that way about PSN or Xbox Live. PSN has gotten better, but I still shake my head and this pre exposed notion that they can bait with me with games for jumping in on their thing.

------------

If Sony/Microsoft really matches to do that, Battlefield 4, with 64 players and 60 FPS, with uploading clips/twitch.tv and good voice IP and all that, then.. then it becomes a lot harder.

Because inherently and unfortunate things like Origin and Uplay(Ubisoft) are not fun experiences at all. But they are free. Even if 5 dollars ain't alone it still bothers me. Because I don't wanna be subscribed too something when I take a break.

It's the same as pay-to-play MMORPGs. it's 50 cents a month play WoW. 15 dollars is nothing a month. Never the less, it's just the thought that you are giving your money - your forced right as a consumer monthly, without having a say to them, is just a bad thing to do.

Because you are neutralizing the only thing you as a consumer got. your wallet. if you pay monthly you are suggesting passively that you are okay with whatever they are doing, and that is dumb. because big corporations go full crazy from time to time. They are going to push that maximize profit button.

Darryl

Banned
i don't understand why anyone would use anything but PC as their home base for gaming. super cheap, lots of fun to play with. it's got the best game prices, graphics that can customize around your priorities, the greatest variety (including lots of games that are impossible to come to consoles), online is usually free, great games are even free. i do tons of console gaming, too. i understand the need to do that as well. i've actively buying games for my wii u and 3ds. i love those things for the exclusive games, but i wouldn't recommend anyone to those platforms without a gaming PC coming up first. the chance of someone coming off pleased with their purchase of a gaming PC is much higher.

Blearth

Banned
I love PC gaming, it's hands down the best way to game and I'm positive that almost everyone that actually tries it will end up sticking with it. Digital distribution managed to liberate the platform from the clutches of the publishers and retailers, which is why we're now seeing a huge variety in game types and the rebirth of beloved old-school genres.

PC gaming has gotten a lot easier and a lot cheaper to get into. The last hurdle for true mass-market acceptance is the creation of a good, simple and cheap entry point, which is probably the whole point of the Steambox. If Valve play their cards right, I see no reason why the PC can't become gaming's Android.

Ewwwwwwwwww

Moss

I love me some PC gaming but after 12 hours a day in the studio I just can't relax gaming at a desk anymore.

That said, I have an x51 plugged into my TV that I do most of my gaming on nowadays.

Cynar

$5 a month. Big woop. I honestly don't understand how people can complain about $5 a month when I spend double that a day on food.
$5 less that you have to spend. You're being very ignorant if you can't see that free access to sales is better than paying for them.

szaromir

Banned
I really don't mind the fee. I can buy Tomb Raider for 20 dollars, my investment in PS+ more than pays for itself

i6cZ1NTAEmvrT.png
All those games at 720p30 instead of 1080p60 as I can enjoy. I prefer to pay a little extra for significantly better experience (though I think PC is all in all cheaper than playing on PS3 with PS+).

Not only that, but would you even expect come the next generation that you will have access / backwards compatability with all your previous generation games? My friend has for over 300-400 dollars worth of Xbox Live Arcade games. He can't transfer ANY of that stuff over to the new system. I think that's beyond crazy.
Yup and that's an extra benefit of PC. Your legacy games will always be easily accessible without having 20 devices plugged to the socket.

Irobot82

Great point. I'm still playing the old Ultima games and Infinity Engine games I got from GOG dirt cheap. Some of those games predate the NES.

bedlamite

You had me till that last bit

Sorry, mate

Wynnebeck

Banned
This picture has never been more appropriate than ever:

1336999468804.jpg

There doesn't have to be this "Us vs. Them" type attitude. I love having the best of both worlds with PC and consoles. I pity the people who don't know the joy.

Blearth

Banned
Why are you guys so negative towards Android? :) I meant that PC could conceivably do what Android did on the mobile market, ie go up against a locked down ecosystem and actually dominate in marketshare.

Let's not derail the thread with why Android makes me go ew.

bedlamite

Why are you guys so negative towards Android? :) I meant that PC could conceivably do what Android did on the mobile market, ie go up against a locked down ecosystem and actually dominate in marketshare.
Not going to happen.
OldAsUrSock said:
For what? Android and PC are both amazing. He is right in saying that the PC should be the Android, but it wont be completely Android until Linux gets big.
Not going to happen.

I'm not going to derail this thread with Android and Linux discussions, but Wynnebeck is right: a gaming PC and a console make for the best of all possible worlds. PCs for the modding and crazy sales, consoles for the exclusives. To say otherwise would be to deprive yourself of good games, whichever platform they land on. I'm not sure how you'd be able to call yourself a hardcore gamer then...PC fanboy would be a more appropriate term, perhaps.

OP gaf pc builders thread launches an about:blank, amirite?

Love to have a better gaming PC, but it's probably not going to happen... mostly cost, I'd have to spend around $1000+ to support my setup (Apple Cinema 27" lightning requires a $250+ motherboard, then a $200 videocard, then $200 of ram, $200 processor + more shit). Also have the problem of my GF probably not liking PC gaming and so I'd have to play when she's not around. She doesn't mind when I'm sitting on the couch playing a game and she can sit there too, but at the computer, it's a lot more solitary... and I don't think she'd really like that much.

Can't really think of any pc exclusives that are memorable however I can easily remember games like killzone, infamous and any naughty dog game that I would like on pc so i'd have to agree with you.

Literally every RTS, Grand strategy, 4x game.

A boat load of Indie games, and my personal favourite (was exclusive until recently) Hotline Miami.

strem

Take Team Fortress 2. This game has been out since what '07 maybe. I still play it all the time. It gets constant updates and tere are a shit ton of people playing it non stop. Also some of the drops I get I sell on the store and that is money I use to pay for some of my games.

Things like this just aren't possible on the consoles. Games just don't have a long tail at all. I still buy the consoles to play a few first party exclusives but most of the time you will find me on my PC

Didly

Banned
I have a PC for gaming and all but it will never replace my PS3, and hopefully in the future my PS4 (depending on how it pans out and how Sony handles the used games deal). No matter how hard I try I will never get used to the mouse and keyboard style of playing because after long use eventually my hands start cramping.

Hunh? Do your hands cramp when you write papers, too? I've been gaming since age 5 and my hands cramp way more on a controller; hell, all you use is your thumbs, barring some trigger use. I once compared my thumb muscles to that of a friend of mine who never plays video games and mine are absurdly huge compared to hers, and they still cramp!

You could say "why don't u just use a controller on your PC games then," well the problem with that is that only a select few games have controller setups. If its not half of them having controller setups the other half has a problem with me using a controller on it (great example is Walking Dead because I couldn't start it if a controller is connected).

Sounds like you aren't understanding the tech. There are plenty of plugins and programs that allow you to use PS3 or Xbox360 controllers with your PC for just about any game, even if it doesn't inherently support it. Even with games that support only Xbox360 controllers like Elysian Tale, you can get remapping software to work wit PS3 controllers, perfectly. And then there are emulators that allow you to use any controller...ever. In fact this goes double for emulators, I'm currently playing Paper Mario: TTYD with a PS3 controller. Dunno about Walking Dead, I never played it on PC.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
szaromir said:
All those games at 720p30 instead of 1080p60 as I can enjoy. I prefer to pay a little extra for significantly better experience (though I think PC is all in all cheaper than playing on PS3 with PS+).

It still a good demonstration of how prices have fallen since the start of this console generation. I also think that console gaming is going to get more competitive with PC both performance and price-wise (at least on the digital end) as we get into the new gen where the hardware is all x86 based.

Realistically both PS4 and Xbone are fixed-spec custom-pc's running closed-sytem OS's. Which is in many ways the best of both worlds for developers.

Hunh? Do your hands cramp when you write papers, too? I've been gaming since age 5 and my hands cramp way more on a controller; hell, all you use is your thumbs, barring some trigger use. I once compared my thumb muscles to that of a friend of mine who never plays video games and mine are absurdly huge compared to hers, and they still cramp!

Sounds like you aren't understanding the tech. There are plenty of plugins and programs that all you to use PS3 or Xbox360 controllers with your PC for just about any game, even if it doesn't inherently support it. Even with games that support only Xbox360 controllers like Elysian Tale, you can get remapping software to work wit PS3 controllers, perfectly. And then there are emulators that allow you to use any controller...ever. Dunno about Walking Dead, I never played it on PC.

To the latter part you are right, every game that is released nowadays always has controller support. Either way mouse and keyboard is worth getting used to, my mechanical keyboard is just so nice.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Can't really think of any pc exclusives that are memorable however I can easily remember games like killzone, infamous and any naughty dog game that I would like on pc so i'd have to agree with you.

Infamous is the open world game with terrible IQ and runs at like 20 FPS right?

steam people I have a question, Every or marjority fo multiplats are coming with pad suport? I want to know to embark the pc train, i have no patience to do a lot of shennaningans just to play a game, like key to joy etc

Not going to happen.

Lets's just wait and see what happens. A few years ago noone could imagine that Sega would end up as the premier strategy game publisher for PC. Never say never.

I'm not going to derail this thread with Android and Linux discussions, but Wynnebeck is right: a gaming PC and a console make for the best of all possible worlds.

I think you are both wrong. Gaming is no different than any other form of entertainment in that content is king and hardware should simply facilitate the delivery and reproduction of content, not set up artificial barriers. I don't have to buy a Sony Blu-Ray to watch Sony movies, I don't have to buy a Microsoft Mp3 player to play Mp3s. Why do I have to buy a Microsoft console to play Microsoft games? It's stupid and it's the wrong way for gaming to be heading in.

Through these hardware barriers the market is needlessly fragmented into multiple pieces. Games that could sell 15 million copies end up selling 5 because they are exclusive to one platform. Having to buy three or four different systems in order to be able to buy all the games that interest you is unbelievably backwards, idiotic and a colossal waste of money. The only platform that is in a position to push gaming towards its much needed unification is the PC.

I'm not sure how you'd be able to call yourself a hardcore gamer then...PC fanboy would be a more appropriate term, perhaps.

Uh-huh. You and I use very different definitions for the term "hardcore gamer". In my opinion, the hardcore gamer is the man or woman who actually cares about gaming as a hobby and wants to see it grow and prosper. Not the guy who buys every game and console that comes out. If anything this guy is damaging the gaming ecosystem by blindingly encouraging anti-consumer policies that should have died off years ago.

Blearth

Banned
steam people I have a question, Every or marjority fo multiplats are coming with pad suport? I want to know to embark the pc train, i have no patience to do a lot of shennaningans just to play a game, like key to joy etc

Almost all of them natively support the 360 pad. No setup required.

You can switch between M/KB and 360 controller by simply touching a button or moving the mouse/stick. The button prompts change instantly without so much as pausing the game.

You can even use both at the same time!

At this point, I'd say that this is typically the case. Particular given Steam's push to support a TV friendly interface, I think it's rare that controller-friendly games will release on the platform without controller support. The further you go back, though, the more hit and miss it becomes.

Tomas

Banned
High end PC: Got it.
Indie titles: Got them. Although all major ones come to consoles anyway.
BC capablility: Got an entire PirateBay library access
DRM: Don't care as long as the game works
Director's Cut: Don't really care about extra minutes of gameplay or alternative content.

Does that make me a hardcore gamer and somehow better than console gamers? Not even remotely.

Bottom Line: Platform does not make you any more hardcore or casual, it is all about the games which are on that platform.

Nozem

If I want to build a gaming PC, what are the options for a comfy couch setup? I do enough sitting at a desk when working.

I don't want to use a keyboard/mouse (except when installing games i guess), and I don't want to deal with the OS, or at least keep it to a bare minimum.

Basically I want a master race console. My budget is not really an issue.

TheLight

Hardcore. Why is that on top of the pedestal? Why is there even a pedestal? Why can't I enjoy the product I payed for without being called a casual or a console pleb? It's all gaming so it's all good right? It's like that kid who got the newest toy in grade school and maked all the other kids feel like shit for not having it. It's all pretty immature.

At this point, I'd say that this is typically the case. Particular given Steam's push to support a TV friendly interface, I think it's rare that controller-friendly games will release on the platform without controller support. The further you go back, though, the more hit and miss it becomes.

Almost all of them natively support the 360 pad. No setup required.

You can switch between M/KB and 360 controller by simply touching a button or moving the mouse/stick. The button prompts change instantly without so much as pausing the game.

You can even use both at the same time!

Many thanks people, this is huge for me!!! Now i will spend a lot of cash on a PC, now i have to research a pc configuration that may last about 3 years

Applecot

I used to be an avid PC gamer, I only bought the PS3 in 2012.

Man has my mindset changed since then. FULLY supporting PS4 next gen.

You don't need to be a hardcore gamer for PC gaming, though.

You can build a cheap computer and play a trillion smaller/indie titles on Steam that are excellent.

However, if you are a hardcore gamer and don't have a gaming PC, you're doing it wrong.

Skelter

Banned
Many thanks people, this is huge for me!!! Now i will spend a lot of cash on a PC, now i have to research a pc configuration that may last about 3 years

3 years? Hell I'm still using a Q6600 and a HD 5770 which is ancient by now! Don't sweat the price too. PC hardware has come a long way and DX11 really does help. I can play Battlefield 3 with no hiccups.

i will, but i dont want to spend more than 1k on a pc if it runs most of multiplats i`m ok, my bf should put more money maybe

Whatever you do try to get a decent mouse. I know I found it stupid myself when I first built my PC but now I can't use any other mouse. I love my Deathadder even if it is from Razer.

3 years? Hell I'm still using a Q6600 and a HD 5770 which is ancient by now! Don't sweat the price too. PC hardware has come a long way and DX11 really does help. I can play Battlefield 3 with no hiccups.

Whatever you do try to get a decent mouse. I know I found it stupid myself when I first built my PC but now I can't use any other mouse. I love my Deathadder even if it is from Razer.

i just use a magic mouse, so gooooood, a shame i can't on windows, I wil play on 360 pad (maybe the Xbone?) so mouse ins't a big problem unless im missing something (i dont play multiplayer games at all, unless it is a fighting one)

Top Bottom