• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

bj00rn_

Banned
Some people just want to sit down, play games and not worry about bullshit. I love my PC, but unless you really care about visual fidelity, might as well stick with consoles. I completely understand anyone who doesn't bother with pc gaming, but I'm never going back haha. Because I think all the trouble is fucking worth it.

What trouble and bullshit are you talking about because I can honestly not think of any? I built a new PC this winter, it's completely hassle-free and is quieter than a 360 Slim even under heavy loads (boots faster too..). Steam works like a charm. Even adding mods to games is one-click automation these days. Playing games with a 360 controller is true plug and play and directly supported by almost all new games if that's missed. Oh and that 1080p @ 60fps..

Cdammen

PC + full-HD projector for blockbuster games, and the rest I play on my monitor. Thinking about getting an Oculus Rift. I love the choices.

Also, I love the wide variety of PC games. I jump from Kentucky Route Zero to Proteus and then play some Civ 5 and later move onto Crysis 3. I play what I wanna play when I feel like playing it.

Console "convenience" doesn't even exist in the long run.
Sometimes I look at my library of purchases across the last "gen" and I laugh at the idea of how much more it would cost me on console.

I could probably buy one or two brand new PCs just out of that price difference.

Console games drop in price as well, and there's usually $10 off rebates for new games. New AAA PC games still cost near MSRP ($50-60) unless GMG has a deal. If you're OK with buying games 1 or 2 years after they come out for a few dollars, that's cool. I pretty much only play new/recent games.

Espada

Man, you're going to love next gen.

Oh, I'm already furious that the garbage that permeates the PC space is finding its way onto consoles (the uncomplicated option). Even worse is that we have clowns cheering these moves which makes me lose faith in my fellow gamers.

I have a PC for gaming and all but it will never replace my PS3, and hopefully in the future my PS4 (depending on how it pans out and how Sony handles the used games deal). No matter how hard I try I will never get used to the mouse and keyboard style of playing because after long use eventually my hands start cramping. You could say "why don't u just use a controller on your PC games then," well the problem with that is that only a select few games have controller setups. If its not half of them having controller setups the other half has a problem with me using a controller on it (great example is Walking Dead because I couldn't start it if a controller is connected). Steam is great for those discounts and all which I do have to give props to. The final thing is of course exclusives that PS and Nintendo has. Most of the games I'm interested in are mostly on Nintendo's console or Sony's console. Since I'm a JRPG nut Sony's console is the one fore me, and since I like Nintendo's first-party game they're the one for me. I forgot to mention some of the PC fans that I see a lot that just full on hate consoles and make fun of people for not having a PC. Let me repeat NOT ALL PC FANS ARE LIKE THIS, but the majority does do this. Can't even say how many times I've have someone act like consoles are garbage and their PC is the chosen one in gaming, leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the community sometimes.

Overall, I'm not a full on PC gamer and I probably never will be. The only way i can see myself going full PC is if the next-gen consoles are really that bad. I mean everything I see on it is a problem bad.

My personal opinion.

patapuf

To Respond to the OP.

I agree that the PC platform offers me a lot more "indepth" approach to games that goes beyond just playing them. I can mix and match hardware wise. Mods, Iso files ect. allows me a bigger insight into how games work and tinkering with rulesets has always interested me.

As an enthusiast i do think the PC is a must have platform.

I enjoy my consoles too, they are just not first priority.

BasilZero

The best prices are on the PCs so yes I agree.

However consoles will not become obsolete due to the first party support and a few third party exclusives.

I'll be gaming on both but will be focusing on PC gaming from now on.

Touch

PC is great. The first party of Nintendo and SONY is hard to pass up though. That's why I normally end up with both their consoles along with my PC.

megalowho

It became my "home base" about 4 years ago after not owning a gaming capable PC since the Pentium days, and it's probably the best investment I ever made in regards to my hobby. It's easier than ever to blend one in and output to multiple sources, works as both a desktop and HTPC. Runs most new games just fine on high settings, I'm only now starting to think about a serious upgrade for an Oculus Rift next year.

I'd never argue that it should be someone's only option if they're interested in all gaming has to offer, but the platform worth putting the most money/time/effort into for what you get back? Absolutely.

Daingurse

I've done that on my PC for years. What bullshit are you referring to? The laggy sign in process? The constant system updates?

Drivers, crashes, experimenting with settings, performance issues like microstutter, Dual GPU builds in-general etc... This is a level of troubleshooting completely foreign in the console gaming space, not everyone wants to fucking edit an .ini file or figure out how to force Triple buffering with D3Dovverider for a smooth experience. People just want to put a disc in the tray and have it work, it's a very understandable sentiment.

Edit:I guess sticking to steam alone helps, but I don't limit myself to any one service on PC. And as I've mentioned, the problems don't bother me much.

hatchx

Banned
I use my PC (errr Mac) for work. It's hard for me to justify spending MORE time with it for gaming.

Was also never a fan of keyboard and mouse gameplay. Not that it's bad, but I use it for work.

I also don't care so heavily for FPS, RTS, or RPGs. Not too sure how far that'll get me in the PC space.

Also the fact that a new souped-up PC will be about the cost of the PS4 and WiiU combined....

.....just not for me. I'd sooner buy a steambox than a PC-PC.

Bittercup

Good opening post with a lot of effort behind it :)

A Truly Open Marketplace

Don't want to buy games with DRM? Don't. Like Steam? Buy all your games there. Hate the Origin interface? Never use it. On PC you get to decide what kind of DRM you are willing to put up with and what DRM you aren't. On console's you are held hostage by whatever the console makers decide.
But that's my problem with PC gaming. I have no problem with DRM as in just for copy protection like a simple disc check, but I don't want any kind of DRM that adds an external dependency like requiring me to activate my games online and tie them to an account system. Unfortunately this is the case with almost every big release today leaving me with the rare exceptions, Indie games and gog. Still a lot of fine games, but this way PC gaming won't be my primary gaming platform anymore.
Although I do miss all those advantages of PC gaming :/

Don't ge me wrong. I love certain aspects of pc gaming. Best framerate, textures, best anti-aliassing, etc. And an enourmes library. And there ARE exclusives that i'd LOVE to play.
But to play pc games in the fidelity thati would buy it for it would be a pretty expensive endevour.

And personally i think it's a hassle sometimes. Windows is complete shit imo and there is always some issue hat you have to deal with, it seems.

So because you wouldn't be content with playing games on high at 60 fps with a 160 euro gpu (you 'd be ocd and want the ultra settings and heavy downsampling and AA) , you instead decide it is better to play the games at 24-30 fps with heavy screentearing on very low.
I can't get the audi R8 as a cabriolet so I'll stick with my beat up lada.

Yeah there is no reasoning with you. You're only interested in rationalising your own decisions and doing it with third hand information and taking a shit on the OP's efforts in the process.

StevieP

Banned
Which is something I don't have to worry about with my current arrangement. Also, a lot of times what they say min specs are for a game are pretty bullshit, it's not true min specs if you really want a decent playing game.

The console version of a game is often below the "lowest" PC spec

.Anema

At this time I'm only using my PC for work (graphics/video), mainly because it's kinda stressful to work 8/10 hours per day and go home and play on the PC.

This is a HUGE thing to think about. Steam and Big Picture tried to do something about it, but, it's still a PC (drivers, error 0x000, etc etc etc) so... nope.

I use a PC at work all day but I don't link the entire device to actually working. I link Visual Studios to work, I link Outlook to work. I don't link the games I play to work. I use a coffee cup all day at work, I don't avoid them at home.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I installed new drivers yesterday. It took about 10 minutes, occured in the background while I was listening to music and reading an article.
The last time I upgraded my drivers, which I had to do to play BioShock Infinite which Steam didn't tell me as that kind of information didn't surface in BPM, it took 30 minutes until I could play the game.
These 30 minutes however they were spent, was trying different things while download the latest drivers then switching to beta drivers and all kinds of things.

And now I have a bug where I have to set the refresh rate again every time I boot or I get artifacts on the screen.

Sanctuary

It's pretty depressing. I spent over an hour on that OP and seemingly nobody reads it. It's just the same old PC vs. console memes going back and forth.

I read all of it, and agree with some points and disagree with others. Like some have already said, a real enthusiast would be playing on the PC and consoles.

The problem I have with the PC is that it doesn't get many of the games that I actually enjoy, or they come out a bit later. It seems like only games made by companies that were born as PC developers ever end up releasing the bigger titles on day one.

Honestly, I don't give a shit about most indie games. If I wanted to play NES games I would.
Over the past six years the PC has degraded into an MMORPG or FPS box with the occasional single player strategy game.

Sulla1980

Great OP.

I love my gaming PCs - nearly every game that I look forward to playing, I look forward to it on the PC.

But I also enjoy building PCs (when I can afford it), including all of the research that goes into each component. You don't need to enjoy tinkering/building to have a gaming PC, but I think that it helps.

Enlil

bought a ps3, then YLOD 3 times. then decided to buy pc with a GTX680. chances are a game like battlefield 4 won't even run 30 fps on ULTRA. so what's the point in buying these high-end pc's?

I have learned. next time won't be buying a pc, will just wait for next-gen console. in the end. Although I like BF3, the way it looks....I play it once every 2 weeks. Don't have any other game.

If all video games would run on the PC the video gaming world would be a better place. A couple weeks ago I played System Shock 2, a 14ish year old game, on my PC natively (not through emulation, not a port - the same files from 14 years ago, apparently with some pre-applied fan-fixes for w7/w8). That alone makes the platform invaluable.

I also was running the game at 1080p with a perfect frame rate too!

PC only isn't enough if you like Japanese games or games that aren't as common on PC. Thats one of the reasons why I still buy consoles even though PC is my main platform.

However completely dismissing the PC is just as foolish as people who say the PC is superior over everything.

I read all of it, and agree with some points and disagree with others. Like some have already said, a real enthusiast would be playing on the PC and consoles.

The problem I have with the PC is that it doesn't get many of the games that I actually enjoy, or they come out a bit later. It seems like only games made by companies that were born as PC developers ever end up releasing the bigger titles on day one.

Honestly, I don't give a shit about most indie games. If I wanted to play NES games I would.
Over the past six years the PC has degraded into an MMORPG or FPS box with the occasional single player strategy game.

This is such horse shit. I can find a greater diversity of games on PC than any other platform. The majority of games being played on console are available on PC as well and the exclusive consoles' tend to have are simply higher budget games in the same handful of popular genres.

nbthedude

Tell me about it.

Ha! Yeah, I guess I have no right to complaining given the amount of work you put into that Build Your PC Thread and constantly updating it only to have nobody read it before posting.

You have way more grounds for complaining, without a doubt. That thing must have taken days of your life let alone hours.

It's a magnum opus of a thread, though. So, cheers.

The last time I upgraded my drivers, which I had to do to play BioShock Infinite which Steam didn't tell me as that kind of information didn't surface in BPM, it took 30 minutes until I could play the game.
These 30 minutes however they were spent, was trying different things while download the latest drivers then switching to beta drivers and all kinds of things.

And now I have a bug where I have to set the refresh rate again every time I boot or I get artifacts on the screen.

I spent 150 hours playing dragon's dogma on ps3 last month.
But I had to update my ps3 firmware every few days when I logged on (which always literally took 10 minutes+ )
And I had all these weirds bugs man : There were black bars, the game for some reason would only run at 20-25 fps and regularly drop into single digit framerates, it wouldn't let me have more than one saveslot for some reason and at one point my ps3 froze and I had to wait 45 minutes for it to check my hdd for data corruption.

(none of this is made up, check my post history)

I spent 3 hours googling how to fix these issues but then I discovered that my ps3 is a closed platform and I couldn't do anything about them, bummer and what a waste of time.

Anyhow,I'm out, this thread was a waste as it's been shat up within 3 pages, sorry OP.

bought a ps3, then YLOD 3 times. then decided to buy pc with a GTX680. chances are a game like battlefield 4 won't even run 30 fps on ULTRA. so what's the point in buying these high-end pc's?

Chances are Bf4 at ULTRA settings wouldn't run at all on a Ps4 or xbone

Smokey

I prefer the console experience. Turn the console on, pop the game in, play.

No activation code, no always-online nonsense, no fiddling with drivers, no DRM ridden Steam, none of that. Just the above. This is why Microsoft and Sony are pissing me off with their desire to bring that dynamic to the uncomplicated console space.

It helps that 90% of the games I'm interested on are console games.

Yeah except that it's not really just pop in and play anymore. There's usually always some kind if update and if you're on ps3? Lol

Dec

A real hardcore gamer will own every console and a gaming pc. And it also sucks to have to wait months/years for console ports to the pc.

Why? I have never understood why people say this. I have no interest in first party console games, I don't buy consoles. Still play games every single day, watch quicklooks and the like in bed, read GAF.

Recall

Someone show me how to successfully build my own PC as I have no knowledge on how to along with showing me how to correctly maintain it. Also I don't want to pay a £1000 and ill adopt your philosophy.

I respectfully disagree with OP. But I'll be leaving as this is already turning into a PC elitist party.
Normally that elitism would upset me, but considering that the PC gaming community had the resolve to kick Microsoft's premium Xbox Live PC service to the curb is justification enough.

A Truly Open Marketplace

Don't want to buy games with DRM? Don't. Like Steam? Buy all your games there. Hate the Origin interface? Never use it. On PC you get to decide what kind of DRM you are willing to put up with and what DRM you aren't. On console's you are held hostage by whatever the console makers decide.

The same is true of pricing. With price points that bottom out way lower than their console counterparts, you decide when you want to buy in. Microsoft is notorious for telling developers that they must charge for DLC (see the Gears of War saga) or "strongly suggesting" an MSRP and not allowing titles to bottom out below a certain amount. There is nobody stopping any developer from charging the cheapest of the cheap for their titles or just flat out giving them away if they want.

Who are you kidding here OP? Even physical copies are often tied to DRM platforms these days, and no you absolutely don't have any choice when it come to that. If you bought a Ubisoft from Steam you're forced to use Uplay to be able to play it, same goes for GWFL games and Origin exclusives too. I like the PC platfrom but honestly this is the biggest problem about PC gaming today imo. Cost, convenience, controls etc are all problems that can be solved in a way or another, but If someone can't deal with DRM I would definitely advice them to stay away from PC gaming.

So because you wouldn't be content with playing games on high at 60 fps with a 160 euro gpu (you 'd be ocd and want the ultra settings and heavy downsampling and AA) , you instead decide it is better to play the games at 24-30 fps with heavy screentearing on very low.
I can't get the audi R8 as a cabriolet so I'll stick with my beat up lada.

Yeah there is no reasoning with you. You're only interested in rationalising your own decisions and doing it with third hand information and taking a shit on the OP's efforts in the process.
I allready said the games i love to play most aren't on pc. If i could play all my fav. games on one device, i would.
Rather not on a windows based device, but i guess i could live with the hassles.

Your last sentence makes no sense. Play the way you like mister. Or is PC your firstborn child, since you act so butthurt? Why is PC the answer to everything to you? If it is, en-fucking-joy.

Tain

Why? I have never understood why people say this. I have no interest in first party console games, I don't buy consoles. Still play games every single day, watch quicklooks and the like in bed, read GAF.

First party console games are not the only console exclusives.

It's entirely possible for a seriously dedicated game enthusiast to have somewhat narrow tastes and not be interested in any of the games that are exclusive to console or exclusive to PC. Those with the means and a wider taste will likely find it hard to pass on these exclusives.

Top Bottom