• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were Mario's overalls black in SMB 3?

AdmiralViscen said:
If NES can only display 4 colors, then how does SMB2 Mario have red, blue, white, and peach?
Here's a hint:

SuperMarioBros2Sheet1.gif

Can you figure it out?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Back when SMB3 came out... to my immature eyes, SMB3 looked downgraded compared to the previous two.... Now that I'm older I see that it was a stylized choice... but it was really wierd to see those less-rounded goombas and such.

Jasoco

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
If NES can only display 4 colors, then how does SMB2 Mario have red, blue, white, and peach?
Here's another hint..

Mario%202%20Split.gif

Look at quadrant.. er um.. septant? Look at square 2-2. Notice anything missing?

It's the color red. You'll note they also took artistic liberties and made the sprite shorter to make sure the eyes lined up where they should.

And thus the answer is out. /thread

Squeak said:
(otherwise all sprites would be big squares)

Are you suggesting without the binary alpha, sprites can be big circles?

/joke

And thanks for the
Mario%20Through%20the%20Ages.jpg

I never owned a NES, and my first real Mariow as All-stars (I had played the older games, but at my cousins house). Thus I didnt have enough experience to rememebr the different marios.

To me, All-stars version = real version.

Juice

Kobun Heat said:
You know, I think you're closer to the real reason they made his overalls black than anyone. My first reaction to this thread was, "wtf? Mario's overalls weren't black, they were blue." If somebody had asked me, I'd have said blue without hesitation. Maybe I'd have thought it was a trick question and the answer was red, but I'd have never said black. The eye sees what you want it to see.

I totally agree. That's what I thought entering the thread.

Top Bottom