• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
If they want to tie FB accounts to your profile that's fine, but if they literally used facebook accounts as your profile that would be pretty terrible. It would force anyone wanting to play online to sign up for FB if they didn't already have it (and I don't). I also like to compartmentalize my online persona from my real world persona.

Yup, fb as an option is fine, but making it compulsory would lead me to quit online gaming altogether. I generally don't advertise the fact that I play games to the real world...

VerTiGo

Banned
Using Facebook as its friends system would make me want to kill someone. Keep that shit away from real games please. Thank you.

1-D_FTW

http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1135489p1.html

Out of boredom I went and checked out the latest info on IGN. If you look at their updated list, it says Cafe's main controller will feature dual analog sticks (which apparently are not staggered).

Makes sense. Seems to rule out a bottom right stick, unless it has console controller ergonomics that makes it comfortable for both sticks to be down there. I stress comfortable ergonomics. Not the DS like brick mockups that would have fingers cramping in 30 minutes of play.

Log4Girlz

So, what game do you pray Nintendo releases at launch to be a showcase for their next system?

I doubt a Zelda would be ready. Mario may not be the best choice. I don't think Retro will be doing another Metroid in the foreseeable future. F-Zero would be gorgeous, but they skipped it this gen, same as Wave Race (and I wouldn't even care about one without the cool racing gear...I couldn't get into the GCN iteration's art style). I still can't stop thinking of how damn amazing F-Zero would look though. Ok, unlikely but I want an F-Zero at launch.

Anyway, as for Mario...the Wii games were stunning that's for sure...but I really do wish they would play around with a 100% Cell shaded game like Ni No Kuni http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzj-QIY1bEk and change the Mario model up a bit. I actually hate the Mario model they've used for the last few years...looks like a mustachio'd cupie doll and I fucking can't stand it.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Log4Girlz said:
So, what game do you pray Nintendo releases at launch to be a showcase for their next system?

I doubt a Zelda would be ready. Mario may not be the best choice. I don't think Retro will be doing another Metroid in the foreseeable future. F-Zero would be gorgeous, but they skipped it this gen, same as Wave Race (and I wouldn't even care about one without the cool racing gear...I couldn't get into the GCN iteration's art style). I still can't stop thinking of how damn amazing F-Zero would look though. Ok, unlikely but I want an F-Zero at launch.

Anyway, as for Mario...the Wii games were stunning that's for sure...but I really do wish they would play around with a 100% Cell shaded game like Ni No Kuni http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzj-QIY1bEk and change the Mario model up a bit. I actually hate the Mario model they've used for the last few years...looks like a mustachio'd cupie doll and I fucking can't stand it.
In what parallel universe do you live where Mario isn't the best choice for showcasing a new Nintendo system???

WillyFive

ace3skoot said:
intrigued

more explain...you

Most sites are already using Facebook's system already, you can just link your Facebook account, and it works as an account for that site.

Nintendo could do the same for their system. Instead of having to do a separate system, just allow people to use their Facebook.

burst

Chances of Nintendo bundling motion+ with the system if they are going to continue to support the wiimote to some extent with the wii2. It makes sense to make sure that anyone who is going to continue using the wiimote for certain games has it running at its maximum capability. Also what software/games will nintendo bundle with the device. Obviously wiisports played a huge roll in the wii's sucess and nintendo views the 3DS's inbuilt software as a key feature. So what do you guys predict?

Log4Girlz

manueldelalas said:
In what parallel universe do you live where Mario isn't the best choice for showcasing a new Nintendo system???

Mario games look just fine without relying heavily on detailed textures or sophisticated lighting. The Galaxy titles are some of the best looking Wii titles BECAUSE of this mostly IMO. Pick a game that needs sophisticated texture and lighting to even look good, not some Mario title. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a Mario game wouldn't be gorgeous, but it would not be the best pick to show off what the system has to offer. Tesselation? Normal Maps? Global illumination? I picked F-Zero as something I would love to see them launch with because I loved the art direction of F-Zero GX and a successor would be better served on more powerful hardware.

1-D_FTW said:

Out of boredom I went and checked out the latest info on IGN. If you look at their updated list, it says Cafe's main controller will feature dual analog sticks (which apparently are not staggered).

Makes sense. Seems to rule out a bottom right stick, unless it has console controller ergonomics that makes it comfortable for both sticks to be down there. I stress comfortable ergonomics. Not the DS like brick mockups that would have fingers cramping in 30 minutes of play.
I also think it has to do with size issues. The design i was thinking about had them a bit outside of the controller frame, like the Dual Shock. Maybe that's the case with whatever Nintendo has.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Log4Girlz said:
Mario games look just fine without relying heavily on detailed textures or sophisticated lighting. The Galaxy titles are some of the best looking Wii titles BECAUSE of this mostly IMO. Pick a game that needs sophisticated texture and lighting to even look good, not some Mario title. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a Mario game wouldn't be gorgeous, but it would not be the best pick to show off what the system has to offer. Tesselation? Normal Maps? Global illumination? I picked F-Zero as something I would love to see them launch with because I loved the art direction of F-Zero GX and a successor would be better served on more powerful hardware.

it sounds like instead of a real album you want a DR. CRANKENSTEIN cd to show off your subwoofer.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Log4Girlz said:
Agree completely.

But, there is a lot more stuff on the Cafe, it is not only a PC with a controller; it'll probably have a camera somewhere, it has a touch screen, it'll allow innovative and inventive new gameplay, and Mario is always perfect when it comes to Nintendo systems.

JaseMath

Hey guys, user Xtoc wanted me to post a mock-up he created where the vitality sensor is built in to the tablet. Pretty cool concept - I'd imagine something like this will be a part of the final product.

ProjectCafeVirtualSensor.png

Woffls

beelzebozo said:
it sounds like instead of a real album you want a DR. CRANKENSTEIN cd to show off your subwoofer.
*Googles Dr Crankenstein* .... ohhh wow o_O Listening on a reject Tannoy FX sub as well. Getting the BK Gemini II on this :D

All we need to show off N6's graphical capabilities is Retro. What will happen is, Mario will be running at 60fps and will look amazing, hell it might even be in 1080p. And they'd be able to get away with this because of the visual style of Mario games. But what story will everyone run? "New Mario, 60fps at 1080p. You know you want it".

JasonMCG said:
Hey guys, user Xtoc wanted me to post a mock-up he created where the vitality sensor is built in to the tablet. Pretty cool concept - I'd imagine something like this will be a part of the final product.

http://users.telenet.be/ganon/cafe/ProjectCafeVirtualSensor.png
Thanks for sharing. I really like to watch these concepts. Some question/obervations:

-There were some posts in the old thread talking about the vitaly sensor in the controller but not included in the mock ups.
-It looks like the average mock up in the sense tablet form factor + game pad buttons.
-Where's the sensor in his concept?
-Can a blood oxymeter identify an individual?
-Shouldn't he opted for face recognition with the camera instead?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
1-D_FTW said:

"We know that Project Cafe will not only support Wii titles, but GameCube games as well. This not only calls for support for Wii Remotes, but GameCube controller ports."

I dont remember this?

JohnTinker said:
"We know that Project Cafe will not only support Wii titles, but GameCube games as well. This not only calls for support for Wii Remotes, but GameCube controller ports."

I dont remember this?
GameCube controller ports? IGN better remove that sh!t from there because it doesn't make any sense. The mayority of GC games can be played with a standar controller layout, expet the exotic ones like Donkey Conga, Jungle Beat or Odama and other crap of that sort.

JaseMath

megashock5 said:
Man, I think I did some of those Revolution box mockups.

I also did an interface mockup and Matt used it in an IGN article.
rev_menu_pg3.jpg
Man...why ins't Illusion of Gaia on the VC yet? :(

Refreshment.01 said:
Thanks for sharing. I really like to watch these concepts. Some question/obervations:

-There were some posts in the old thread talking about the vitaly sensor in the controller but not included in the mock ups.
-It looks like the average mock up in the sense tablet form factor + game pad buttons.
-Where's the sensor in his concept?
-Can a blood oxymeter identify an individual?
-Shouldn't he opted for face recognition with the camera instead?
As far as the sensor, I'm going to assume it's going to end up being like the grippy heart-rate monitors on exercise equipment.

EDIT: Xtoc's exact words were "It's an mockup where the vitality sensor Is buildin with the controller."

Vinci

Danish
manueldelalas said:
Agree completely.

But, there is a lot more stuff on the Cafe, it is not only a PC with a controller; it'll probably have a camera somewhere, it has a touch screen, it'll allow innovative and inventive new gameplay, and Mario is always perfect when it comes to Nintendo systems.

Mario is perfect for a holiday release, IMO. I wouldn't do it at launch, not with a console that's going to be upwards of $399 and especially if we're talking a mid-year system release. At that point, you need the 'hardcore' to jump onboard. F-Zero might do that. Besides, there's nothing saying that the Cafe couldn't bring anything new or innovative to F-Zero. Hell, that would just show how spectacular and flexible the hardware is

JasonMCG said:
Man...why ins't Illusion of Gaia on the VC yet? :(

EDIT: Xtoc's exact words were "It's an mockup where the vitality sensor Is buildin with the controller."
Well i imagine, but was asking what part of the controller :D

Plus in my super limited knowledge (about everything lol) a blood oxymeter can't diferentiate a person from other. Correct?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Pikmin would show off the new play control styles with the screen really well. Organize your Pikmin by color with the tap on screen, select only one particular color, map specific commands to the screen, etc

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Vinci said:
Mario is perfect for a holiday release, IMO. I wouldn't do it at launch, not with a console that's going to be upwards of $399 and especially if we're talking a mid-year system release. At that point, you need the 'hardcore' to jump onboard. F-Zero might do that. Besides, there's nothing saying that the Cafe couldn't bring anything new or innovative to F-Zero. Hell, that would just show how spectacular and flexible the hardware is
But Mario is the kind of game that just keeps selling and it's a true system seller. Sales of Mario on the holidays would be exactly the same if the game is released in January or November.

The system isn't just a powerful console; I'm sure it has a lot of other stuff (if it didn't, then we could all just buy PCs to play games, cheaper and better) to offer, and generally, Mario games are showcase titles.

Bert

Refreshment.01 said:
GameCube controller ports? IGN better remove that sh!t from there because it doesn't make any sense. The mayority of GC games can be played with a standar controller layout, expet the exotic ones like Donkey Conga, Jungle Beat or Odama and other crap of that sort.

You could probably emulate most of the non-standard GC inputs with some combination of Cafe controller and Wiimote anyway. tap the screen for D-Konga, use the built in mic for Mario Party, or whatever.

orioto said:
When i say PSX/N64 level of polys. It has a bigger environment and more things like vegetations and such of course, it looks way better. But in the end, the background is simple blocks everywhere, really... There is zero geometry in the architecture.
So essentially you are saying that when you say psx/n64 yyou don't actually meant those?

Vinci

Danish
manueldelalas said:
But Mario is the kind of game that just keeps selling and it's a true system seller. Sales of Mario on the holidays would be exactly the same if the game is released in January or November.

The system isn't just a powerful console; I'm sure it has a lot of other stuff (if it didn't, then we could all just buy PCs to play games, cheaper and better) to offer, and generally, Mario games are showcase titles.

If they want the system to sell to Western hardcore gamers, having Mario as a launch title is not a wise idea. If they want to sell the system to the same folks they have been, then yes, Mario makes a lot of sense. But the people they are supposedly trying to gain access to are going to immediately write this system off if it launches with a friendly Nintendo game. They want to see how Nintendo is going to position the system; they want something from the company that kicks ass.

As you said, Mario could release whenever and people would buy it (so long as it's 2D style, at least). All I'm suggesting is that they go after the Sony/MS crowd first, if that's indeed their strategy, and release the more family-friendly stuff later on.

Effect

JasonMCG said:
Hmm. I think a Zelda game would increase your stress level not decrease it. Though hacking and slashing could calm one down or let you blow off steam. That would be kinda cool if it helped suggest games or just content in general to you based on your mood.

JohnTinker said:
Pikmin would show off the new play control styles with the screen really well. Organize your Pikmin by color with the tap on screen, select only one particular color, map specific commands to the screen, etc

I'm really thinking pikmin 3 will be their showcase game, It'd be a great game to show off the controller(using the screen to manage pikmin and see pikmin that are off screen etc), and it's be a great one to show the technical side of the console both in terms of graphics( imagine those HD pikmin) and power ( ONE MILLION PIKMINS.....0.o I don't what came over me there).

Bert said:
You could probably emulate most of the non-standard GC inputs with some combination of Cafe controller and Wiimote anyway. tap the screen for D-Konga, use the built in mic for Mario Party, or whatever.
Yea, it could be acomplished as you suggest but that'll take some extra coding. I hope IGN wasn't talking about in terms of full backward comp with GC games, so they think needing a GC controller port is necesary. The person who wrote that can't be that naive.
Hmm. I think a Zelda game would increase your stress level not decrease it. Though hacking and slashing could calm one down or let you blow off steam. That would be kinda cool if it helped suggest games or just content in general to you based on your mood.
Havent seen any really practical or realistic sugestions to justify the use for biometric sensors in game. The most practical one so far is user ID to load profile, game settings and the sort.

Vinci

Danish
Effect said:

You don't understand: In the Wii Relax version of Zelda, you simply appear at a pond and fish. That's all.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Vinci said:
If they want the system to sell to Western hardcore gamers, having Mario as a launch title is not a wise idea. If they want to sell the system to the same folks they have been, then yes, Mario makes a lot of sense. But the people they are supposedly trying to gain access to are going to immediately write this system off if it launches with a friendly Nintendo game. They want to see how Nintendo is going to position the system; they want something from the company that kicks ass.

As you said, Mario could release whenever and people would buy it (so long as it's 2D style, at least). All I'm suggesting is that they go after the Sony/MS crowd first, if that's indeed their strategy, and release the more family-friendly stuff later on.
Yes, but the thing is Nintendo just doesn't make games for the dudebro community, they don't know how, they are bad at it, etc. And F-Zero is a niche title (if you like it or not is another story), and it really doesn't have a big market. It's like having a Fire Emblem game as a showcase of a system, I mean, I ADORE FE, but it won't sell consoles.

I propose a Mario game, because third parties can take care of the dudebros, it doesn't have to be Nintendo. Nintendo's mission is to keep the console selling.

Look what happened to the 3DS, it literally doesn't have any game worth playing or buying a console for. If Nintendo launched it with a Mario game (which is what gamers are clamoring for), it would be selling awesomely, and gamers would still buy other games. Consoles need that special games that will help to sell it, consoles don't sell alone (this have been learned by all companies the hard way). I'm sure that when Mario releases on the 3DS, sales of the systems and all of it's games will pick up.

Deku

Banned
I'd really much rather they bring out new IPs and or showcase a major 3rd party exclusive.

Pikmin, Zelda, Mario are =/

Pikmin isn't going to sell systems and Mario will probably not be ready.

Zelda , I'm tired of the same OOT formula being remade every five years.

EVH

JasonMCG said:
]http://users.telenet.be/ganon/cafe/ProjectCafeVirtualSensor.png[/IMG]

Looks fun for a few times, but annoying if that shit pops up every time you have to play.

Anyway, fuck, if that bot is Weathley I 'd love it.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Deku said:
I'd really much rather they bring out new IPs and or showcase a major 3rd party exclusive.

How can you be tired of the OOT formula if it haven't been used since... OOT?

MM, WW, PH and ST didn't use it, and they kind of sucked... OOS, OOA and MC used and they were awesome.

The one thing that excites me about the new Zelda is the high difficulty of NSMB Wii because of the super guide (the best Nintendo innovation in years). Maybe Zelda games will be challenging again!

GCX

I wonder if we'll see Miyamoto's new character/IP at E3. Last year he said that we'd see it in 2011 because it's been a decade since Pikmin came out.

JaseMath

Deku said:

Star Fox and F-Zero are due for new titles. Aside from that Nintendo really needs to tap into some old IPs (like STAR TROPICS *ahem*) or create news ones to generate interest. I feel like we're getting new(ish) series rehashes rather than completely new experiences and that needs to change, like, yesterday.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Deku said:

Zelda and Mario are what sells Nintendo's consoles, so you're more likely to get more Zelda or Mario as launch titles than a new IP. As for major 3rd party exclusives, aren't Nintendo kinda averse to moneyhatting those?

Chet Rippo said:
Nobody really remembers what N64 games looked like anymore.

N64 screenshot:

vaseline_pure_petroleum_jelly_26262.jpg

Vinci

Danish
manueldelalas said:
Yes, but the thing is Nintendo just doesn't make games for the dudebro community, they don't know how, they are bad at it, etc. And F-Zero is a niche title (if you like it or not is another story), and it really doesn't have a big market. It's like having a Fire Emblem game as a showcase of a system, I mean, I ADORE FE, but it won't sell consoles.

Perhaps true. But it's the only title I can think of from Nintendo that could qualify as 'hardcore' in the slightest and really speak to Nintendo's perspective on this new system. And I think it's imperative that Nintendo at least attempt to make something for the 'dudebro' community because it might be the only exclusive title for them Nintendo gets.

Nintendo's mission is to keep the console selling.

And they're able to do that without Mario. That's my point. The Wii didn't launch with Mario. Nintendo needs to pull something out of its bag of tricks for the community that they - according to rumors - are desperate to tap. Suggesting Mario, Zelda, or Pikmin is crazy in the context of that strategy, and especially when you consider this system's possible price-point.

Look what happened to the 3DS, it literally doesn't have any game worth playing or buying a console for. If Nintendo launched it with a Mario game (which is what gamers are clamoring for), it would be selling awesomely, and gamers would still buy other games.

The handheld gamer community is quite a bit different from the target audience of Cafe, however. 'Dudebro gamers' - is this seriously what we're calling them? - don't give a shit about Mario in 2D. And guess what? The mainstream audience doesn't give a shit about Mario in 3D. So... which are you talking about, and who are you attempting to target with the game?

Consoles need that special games that will help to sell it, consoles don't sell alone (this have been learned by all companies the hard way). I'm sure that when Mario releases on the 3DS, sales of the systems and all of it's games will pick up.

Not if the game is 3D style, which it appears to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom