• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

Final mock-up, using the tablet rumors as a base.

Front
f9OiT.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

6" screen; 800x500 resolution
Capacitive touch
Front-facing camera

The back:
Ergonomic handles w/heart-rate sensor pads (taking the place of the vitality sensor)
Bumpers (L/R) triggers
Speaker(s) at the back
Pull-out kickstand (for watching movies and other media)
SD card slot for VC games and media

Back mock-up credit goes (mostly) to MYE. Obviously, the bumpers would probably have to be raised a bit to accommodate my mock-up, but since this is for illustration purposes only, it is what it is.

JasonMCG said:

Front
f9OiT.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

Capacitive touch
Front-facing camera

The back:
Ergonomic handles w/heart-rate sensor pads (taking the place of the vitality sensor)
Bumpers (L/R) triggers
Speaker(s) at the back

Back mock-up credit goes (mostly) to MYE. Obviously, the bumpers would probably have to be raised a bit to accommodate my mock-up, but since this is for illustration purposes only, it is what it is.

I really like this, seems comfortable to hold AND has a sleek design. If this is the direction Nintendo goes, then your mockup looks close to something I'd like to invest in.

Pollux

JasonMCG said:

Front
f9OiT.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

Capacitive touch
Front-facing camera

The back:
Bumpers (L/R) triggers
Speaker(s) at the back

So is this just the remote, or is it the actual console?

JaseMath

wwm0nkey said:
Move those analog sticks down a bit and it will be perfect.
If you move the sticks down, then your palms would be hanging off the side. Not very comfortable.

zmoney said:
So is this just the remote, or is it the actual console?
It's the rumored tablet controller.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Where to begin here. First off. The F-Zero GX team was an opus magnum of developers, money, and blue print working together. First off, the genius brain child of it all is F-Zero X. Then you get a multitude of companies (it was more than AV) with a huge budget since the game is cross platform for arcade and console. Develop a flashy, high production, reincarnation of F-Zero X. The hardcore fans love it. The marketing and lack of GameCube consumers drowned the project as a loss.

What exactly was wrong with F-Zero and F-Zero X? Both were groundbreaking games when released. F-Zero X is one of the greatest racing games ever developed.

Then you postulate Nintendo isn't capable of delivering a high fidelity F-Zero for the Stream? In addendum adding that maybe Monster Games could? Where is the foundation to any of this? EAD Tokyo or Retro Studios would annihilate anything Monster Games could come up with at this point for F-Zero.
Where did I say that something was wrong with F-Zero or F-zero X (this was not a groundbreaking title when released, LOL (I had it at launch, and it was low poly AT THE TIME; good game, not great)).

The thing is that Nintendo doesn't have a team that could do F-Zero anymore, EAD 1,2,3,etc have their hands loaded with other stuff, games take more time to make now and need more resources than in the N64 era.

Yes Nintendo could do an F-Zero HD ultra high graphics 60 fps 1080P game, but they won't. It's too expensive, and the last F-zero games have bombed hard (I bet you don't even know the name of the last F-Zero game released).

Yeah, that mock-up is fantastic. Just move the analog sticks down.

Yeah I was going to mention that. On the back of the design the grips/shoulder buttons are clearly at the bottom, however, the buttons on the front of the device are at the top. Don't see that working at all, so the buttons would have to go down more.

Matt

manueldelalas said:
Where did I say that something was wrong with F-Zero or F-zero X (this was not a groundbreaking title when released, LOL (I had it at launch, and it was low poly AT THE TIME; good game, not great)).
Yeah, because it had 30 racers on screen at once running at a solid 60 fps. That was groundbreaking.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That mock up does look sexy.

Will really miss pointer controls though.
Single biggest innovation of this generation from a control standpoint, and the most under-utilized, un-paraded feature of the system :(

That's probably why it's becoming DoDo.

JasonMCG said:
If you move the sticks down, then your palms would be hanging off the side. Not very comfortable.

It's the rumored tablet controller.
Why insist with circle pads instead of analog sticks. Do you plan on putting some sort of sliding cover like the calculators?

Very good touch puting a hand there to get a better sense of scale. Looks like the dominant design in this thread is the tablet with buttons after all.

Why no comments to Retro design from anybody? The man has some interesting ideas there. If i had to choose betwen the tablet desgins and Retro latest concept, i would go with Retro's.

Truth101

Banned
JasonMCG said:

Front
f9OiT.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

Capacitive touch
Front-facing camera

The back:
Bumpers (L/R) triggers
Speaker(s) at the back

This looks great.

You are right the back would need to be raised a bit to fit your mock-up, otherwise It would be a pain to reach the buttons above the right analog.

Guys... don't be sad about the IR Pointer controls. Yes, to me it was the best feature of the Wii Remote...

But the IR Pointer can easily be replaced by another kind of pointer thanks to the touchscreen on the controller... just like a mouse... or a better example, just like FPS worked on the DS, but way way more comfortable (because of the controller size).

Just like this, but more comfortable and with your finger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ4G4ob7n5Q

ksamedi

I think Cafe having a SSD as storage solution makes perfect sense. Remember why Nintendo used Flash for Wii, they said it was kid proof, meaning that kids do things as shake the console and stuff and that flash was more resistent to that. SSD is also kid proof, and also more silent than normal hard drives.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone's been freaking out about the possibility that the pointer has been dropped, but if the reports of a sensor bar in the controller are accurate, it has to be included . A lot of people, even IGN's roundtable, interpret this to mean you'll use it like the Wii bar, but that's ridiculous. Imagine trying to balance a 6 inch tablet on a wall mounted HDTV. It will need a standard sensor bar for BC. The sensor on the controller must be to detect the pointer when games are being streamed to the screen. They'll probably include a stand to prop it up during pointer games.

ksamedi

Fernando Rocker said:
Guys... don't be sad about the IR Pointer controls. Yes, to me it was the best feature of the Wii Remote...

But the IR Pointer can easily be replaced by another kind of pointer thanks to the touchscreen on the controller... just like a mouse... or a better example, just like FPS worked on the DS, but way way more comfortable (because of the controller size).

I don't think touchscreen and pointer controls feel the same at all. Touch screen aiming doesn't work as well as pointer aiming. They both have different advantages and disadvantages.

ksamedi said:
I think Cafe having a SSD as storage solution makes perfect sense. Remember why Nintendo used Flash for Wii, they said it was kid proof, meaning that kids do things as shake the console and stuff and that flash was more resistent to that. SSD is also kid proof, and also more silent than normal hard drives.
With a 2012 release and SSD manufactures not interested in dropping prices because the demand is high, i dont see an SSD inside the box happening, no matter how small. Chances for an included mechanical drive are slim also. Most probable scenario is Nintendo saling an optional hard Drive. Console will come with conventional flash memory like the Wii but a bigger amount of course.
Krev said:
Everyone's been freaking out about the possibility that the pointer has been dropped, but if the reports of a sensor bar in the controller are accurate, it has to be included . A lot of people, even IGN's roundtable, interpret this to mean you'll use it like the Wii bar, but that's ridiculous. Imagine trying to balance a 6 inch tablet on a wall mounted HDTV. It will need a standard sensor bar for BC. The sensor on the controller must be to detect the pointer when games are being streamed to the screen. They'll probably include a stand to prop it up during pointer games.
If they include some type on sensor device with the screen, the pointing method could work separetly of touch screen pointing. I.E: Lets say to use Wii type controls, you put the screen in the charging cradle with the sensor/camera facing your direction, so it track the remote positioning.

Nintendo won't necessary do this. But its a solution.

ksamedi said:
I don't think touchscreen and pointer controls feel the same at all. Touch screen aiming doesn't work as well as pointer aiming. They both have different advantages and disadvantages.

I know that... but at least it would be better than the archaic dual analogs setup.

Retro

Refreshment.01 said:
Got to give you credit because of the tablet mock ups you are the one that comes up with the less conventional designs. Added points also because you put some ergonomics in there this time. Also normal thumbsticks as it should be.

I think just slapping Wiimote controls on an iPad isn't what Nintendo will do... at least I hope not. I don't want this to be an uncomfortable tablet with analog sticks stuck on it. I want a controller, so that's what I made.

Refreshment.01 said:
I don't mind but to make it more flashy for the short attention span crowd, put a more common color scheme for a gadget, blacks and whites.

Yeah, I went for a blue-green motif, but there's no reason it can't go down a more traditional route'

2m27t78.jpg

I updated the colors and increased the size of the Buttons and D-pad because when I printed it they were much smaller than the 360 control I am using for size comparisons.

(Shitty Cellphone pic of printed size comparison)

I still think they're too small, and the controller probably needs to be longer. When I cut it out, I want the face buttons and left analog stick closer to the screen (Start/select need to move more towards center) and I want the body to be taller so there's more to grip/rest in the palms.. but very close for a quick mockup.

Refreshment.01 said:
Do you think Nintendo would get rid of the big A button?

Dunno. I used the SNES button layout, though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Gamecube-style layout in the slightest.

Refreshment.01 said:
Also the upright position could be used as a dock position to charge the controller in a craddle.

Fantastic work.

Thanks.

Thinking about it now this system is going to be expensive as hell.

At least the box will contain:

1 Touchscreen Controller
1 Wii Remote
1 Nunchuck
1 Console

If I had to guess I'd go with Nintendo making a console that should sell for in the $200 range. A controller that is $70. And the Wii Remote and Nunchuck which should be like $20. I would be shocked if the $350-400 rumor wasn't true.

Fernando Rocker said:

IR Pointer is significantly superior to touch pointer.

Also again this console WILL have both methods of control. Especially since it will likely be backwards comparable with Wii.

Zeliard

Krev said:

Though can you really use a pointer of that sort on a screen that small effectively?

Antagon

Flying_Phoenix said:
Thinking about it now this system is going to be expensive as hell.

At least the box will contain:

1 Touchscreen Controller
1 Wii Remote
1 Nunchuck
1 Console

If I had to guess I'd go with Nintendo making a console that should sell for in the $200 range. A controller that is $70. And the Wii Remote and Nunchuck which should be like $20. I would be shocked if the $350-400 rumor wasn't true.

IR Pointer is significantly superior to touch pointer.

Also again this console WILL have both methods of control. Especially since it will likely be backwards comparable with Wii.

Why wouldn't it just be able to pick up a Wii remote / nunchuck if you're playing Wii games but not use them for new games? No need to pack them at all.

ksamedi

Refreshment.01 said:
With a 2012 release and SSD manufactures not interested in dropping prices because the demand is high, i dont see an SSD inside the box happening, no matter how small. Chances for an included mechanical drive are slim also. Most probable scenario is Nintendo saling an optional hard Drive. Console will come with conventional flash memory like the Wii but a bigger amount of course.

I expect a big drive in there. flash is expensive.

ksamedi said:
in a lot of cases it will work much better and faster

Pistolero

JasonMCG said:

Front
f9OiT.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

Capacitive touch
Front-facing camera

The back:
Bumpers (L/R) triggers
Speaker(s) at the back

The best so far! Fantastic job...I can see it working.

Branduil

Smiles and Cries said:
3 little buttons on the lower right would have to be moved top right so you palm would not press them while playing
How the heck would you hold it so that your palm is hitting the bottom right of the controller?

JaseMath

Smiles and Cries said:
3 little buttons on the lower right would have to be moved top right so you palm would not press them while playing
I lowered the buttons to appease the GAF! XD I think they'd work better higher for a number of reasons, and that's one of them.

ksamedi

Always-honest said:
in a lot of cases it will work much better and faster

Touch screens work best when you can directly interact with the game world with it. It never really worked well for aiming. I don't think Nintendo will ditch the pointer. I believe there will be 2 controllers in the box. Would be stupid to use a touchscreen as a substitute for pointing.

StevieP

Banned
xandaca said:
Fantastic to read that someone else appreciated the Wii's Godfather game as much as I did. It's one of the first games I bring up when arguing that motion controls can work if developers think their implementation through. Shame so few people played it.

And the pointer is the biggest advance in console game control since the analogue stick. Discuss.

The Blackhand edition was one of the most fun, satisfying implementations of waggle ever. Anyone who hasn't played it should get a copy immediately. Despite the occasional misread, nothing was more fun than throwing left and right hooks independantly, using a baseball bat like... a baseball bat in real life, choking someone with an actual choking motion using garrote wire, and not to mention IR-based gunplay. All of it was superior to GTA4 on dual analog. It made Rockstar's superiorly-populated sandbox world feel much much less fun to me.

wiimote+ backwards compatibility

Devs won't use it. Content will be dual-analog based. See: others systems' current motion implementation.

new wiimote+ successor in box

Most devs still won't use it. Default scheme dual-analog due to tablet controller being focus. Will also drive cost of package up.

trackpad-style controls

Not enough buttons available in most cases - see DS FPS games. It just won't work. We're stuck with shitty dual-analog for FPS again. And, once again, lightgun games go the way of the dodo. Sucks ass.

Why wouldn't it just be able to pick up a Wii remote / nunchuck if you're playing Wii games but not use them for new games? No need to pack them at all.

Dear ALL GAMERS: Peripherals won't work. Most devs won't make games for it. See: all of history.

Vinci

Danish
manueldelalas said:
Yes Nintendo could do an F-Zero HD ultra high graphics 60 fps 1080P game, but they won't. It's too expensive, and the last F-zero games have bombed hard (I bet you don't even know the name of the last F-Zero game released).

That's a bad bet. The guy practically lives and breathes Nintendo history.

EDIT: And why are you guys putting the analog sticks so low on something that's meant to be held in your hands? I can't understand how you'd even hold that unless it's sitting in your lap.

Luigison

Retro said:
People seemed to like the idea of the display being set on the tabletop a few pages back It occurred to me last night that a controller could be built to allow the screen to remain upright, for when the player isn't actually playing (standby mode) or using the Wiimote;

Click here for Full-Screen Mockup with Labels

The two controller 'halves' are locked in a fixed position, but the screen can be tilted independently to provide the optimal view or adjust the camera angle. The screen can be tilted so that the controller 'arms' can support the screen in an upright position, like a picture frame;

4rymoi.jpg

In this way, you can set the controller up on a coffee table (wink wink) so the camera and screen are facing you, ideal for video chat or when you want to be able to see the screen but are using the motion controls.

Obviously durability is an issue; the controller would need to have some kind of durable interior frame so players can't snap the pivot around which the screen swivels up and down. That adds weight, which is always an issue, but because this is more like a standard controller, the weight is distributed in both hands or onto the lap.

I also added a couple features;

- A Micro SD slot, for memory management, downloaded games or to store photos on, allowing the controller to display pictures when in Standby mode.

- Camera and Microphone buttons, for privacy and power consumption concerns (no need to have them on if you're not using them). A speaker button is included as well, to mute the controller's speakers.

Because I have nothing better to do all day and felt like fucking off in Photoshop... :lol
This just gave me an idea. What if in a two player game the players faced each other or a common area (no TV required). They each had a controller and could see a screen (on their or possibly the other players controller).

Was the controller acting as a sensor bar rumor confirmed or dismissed. If it's real the two players could play coop or vs with the movement of the controller relative to each other or a central object like one of those 3DS cards.

Retro said:
I still think they're too small, and the controller probably needs to be longer. When I cut it out, I want the face buttons and left analog stick closer to the screen (Start/select need to move more towards center) and I want the body to be taller so there's more to grip/rest in the palms.. but very close for a quick mockup.
What material are you imaging in the grips? Remember those things tend to peal after extended periods of use. Anyway its a nice touch, one wouldnt want a controller with a screen to slip of your hands.

A recomendation, always include the side view of the mock up when posting a picture. Its very important since its the part that most designers/posters are neglecting.
ksamedi said:
I expect a big drive in there. flash is expensive.
If you expect a big drive then SSD is completly out of the question :D

The problem with drives is that they imply fixed costs. Specially with mechanical ones, where capacity increases with the years but mininum costs stays close to the same. So its a trap Nintendo wouldn't want to fall as they spect to reduce costs and increase profits with time.
StickSoldier said:
Hope you dont mind, but I edited the picture to what I think the input buttons might be like.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2d80fa.jpg

Credit goes to you of course for the picture in the first place.
Right stick way too low man :D

KrawlMan

Branduil said:
How the heck would you hold it so that your palm is hitting the bottom right of the controller?

Maybe you don't consider it the palm, but the "meat" of the thumb (lower portion) would very much rest near those buttons.

Compare it to this picture of somebody holding an ipad.
ipad-gaming1.jpg

Branduil

StevieP said:
Devs won't use it. Content will be dual-analog based. See: others systems' current motion implementation.

Most devs still won't use it. Default scheme dual-analog due to tablet controller being focus. Will also drive cost of package up.

Not enough buttons available in most cases - see DS FPS games. It just won't work. We're stuck with shitty dual-analog for FPS again. And, once again, lightgun games go the way of the dodo. Sucks ass.

Dear ALL GAMERS: Peripherals won't work. Most devs won't make games for it. See: all of history.

If Nintendo required all games to have alternate Wiimote control schemes, it would. Of course that wouldn't keep developers from just throwing in a really poor control scheme for it.

Zeliard

JasonMCG said:
Lowered the buttons/sticks. :)

Front
m0X4Y.jpg

This is a cool mockup but I wonder about the rectangular design as far as grip. The NGP has a similar dual analog/triggers/screen design and it has rounded sides and edges for gripping purposes. Yours could still work well, though. Hard to really tell without holding it.

StevieP said:

How many Wiimotes are in the wild? It can't be that hard to add an option for pointer to controls for FPS's( especially for someone like Activision as the already use them for their current COD Wii games)

defferoo

JasonMCG said:

Front
f9OiT.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

Capacitive touch
Front-facing camera

The back:
Bumpers (L/R) triggers
Speaker(s) at the back

you cannot reach the buttons and the analog sticks with the handles so far down. either move the handles up or move the buttons down... and 800x500 just sounds wrong, 800x480 is more standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom