• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

"Whenever we make a new game console, we've done it without throwing away buttons and the directional pad. The reason for that it's better to have them, because buttons and directional pads benefit gameplay response. Taking this into account, Nintendo isn't planning on completely ditching buttons, nor is Nintendo thinking of taking tablets as they are today and implementing them in a game console." - Satoru Iwata

http://kotaku.com/#!5796542/nintendo-likes-buttons-and-wont-ditch-them

Anth0ny said:
LOL that list is such bullshit. And GC compatibility? Online being better than the others by far? loloololol

If they go with DVD like they did with the Wii, they could just use the same type of drive and get GCN and Wii backwards compatibility. Little reason not to do it that way.

orioto

Good Art™
Ok i'm terribly worried by all those mock ups...

help me guys, tell me ONE useful game play feature that could come from this pad + screen config. I want to be a believer to !

Cause i turn the thing in every directions and i can't still see how it would make the least sense.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
manueldelalas said:
Where did I say that something was wrong with F-Zero or F-zero X (this was not a groundbreaking title when released, LOL (I had it at launch, and it was low poly AT THE TIME; good game, not great)).

The thing is that Nintendo doesn't have a team that could do F-Zero anymore, EAD 1,2,3,etc have their hands loaded with other stuff, games take more time to make now and need more resources than in the N64 era.

Yes Nintendo could do an F-Zero HD ultra high graphics 60 fps 1080P game, but they won't. It's too expensive, and the last F-zero games have bombed hard (I bet you don't even know the name of the last F-Zero game released).

F-Zero X wasn't ground breaking? The low poly thing is only relevant really when people post a screen shot of how crappy the game looked in stills. But what game at the time had 30 racers on screen at 60 fps? That was amazing. Also how about 4-player splitscreen at 60fps? Random track generator? Death Race? The game was amazing. One of my favorite racers ever.

But I think. It will be developed by EAD Group No.5 and a co-developer. Just like they did Steel Diver. Infact. If you look at Steel Diver's credits. Steel Diver Staff. Tadashi Sugiyama. Takaya Imamura. Taro Bando. All working together. All members of the F-Zero X team. How random is that?

But if NST. Retro Studios. Monster Games did it. I would be delighted as well.

IDK man, the placement of the sticks in relation to the DPad and Buttons still doesn't look right to me on these mock ups. The RIGHT stick specifically should be placed in a spot that creates an imaginary diagonal line through the buttons just like the DualShock and Xbox 360 controllers.

eg2vqv.jpg
1z48gw4.jpg

See where everything is placed here? Having to reach LOWER on a tablet controller for the right stick especially would be weird. I didn't even mention possible discomfort after holding the thing for long periods without "proper" handles.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
orioto said:

help me guys, tell me ONE useful game play feature that could come from this pad + screen config. I want to be a believer to !

Cause i turn the thing in every directions and i can't still see how it would make the least sense.
The biggest one I see is being able to play console games on the screen anywhere in your house. Sister hogging the TV? Go play Mario Universe in your room.

wwm0nkey

orioto said:

HUD options can go on the screen

Entire game can be streamed too the screen.

JaseMath

defferoo said:
you cannot reach the buttons and the analog sticks with the handles so far down. either move the handles up or move the buttons down... and 800x500 just sounds wrong, 800x480 is more standard.
The rumored resolution is 800x500 and also, the thing is small - small enough where anyone could easily reach both the YBXA buttons and the stick when used in tandem.

Roi said:
I keep seeing this design on several shots. Don't know if already posted.

http://www.nintendo-master.com/fichiers/2011/4/21/1303378200.jpg
Older than Wii's processors.
ksamedi said:
I don't think touchscreen and pointer controls feel the same at all. Touch screen aiming doesn't work as well as pointer aiming. They both have different advantages and disadvantages.
Yes. Easier to be precise/steady with touch screen, but the pointer has a greater sense of... pointing. Pointer also obstructs your view less and lets your pointing hand have more control than just pointing.
ksamedi said:
I believe there will be 2 controllers in the box.
I'm hoping so. Some people think that's excessive, but I think packages like X360 with regular controller and Kinect, or even NES with pad and Zapper, have not been turnoffs in the past.
StevieP said:
Dear ALL GAMERS: Peripherals won't work. Most devs won't make games for it. See: all of history.
Exactly why I hope it's included from the get-go.

Vinci

Danish
Someone take the tablet notion and extend sleek white handles from the bottom edges - ie. make them jut out slightly to sit in the palms and towards you so there's an edge at the opposite end for bumpers. Then you can place the analog sticks based on where the hands would go naturally and not some imaginary configuration that doesn't make sense whilst holding a controller.

EDIT: Just balance the analog sticks directly opposite one another towards the center of the screen. Move the D-Pad and buttons underneath those, with the Home Etc. buttons at the top right and out of the way. And then, you know, add handles that come out at the bottom as I mentioned above this Edit.

1-D_FTW

JasonMCG said:
Lowered the buttons/sticks. :)

Front
m0X4Y.jpg

Maybe you missed my earlier post when you pulled it for editing? But how do you propose a left trigger exist on this mockup? The trigger is built into the middle molding on the right side. On the left side, the stick is on the flat portion. You'd have two completely different triggers on this set-up. Plus it ignores the fact that IGN is stating the sticks are going to be level. Move the left stick to the middle (like the right) and now both index fingers can have contoured trigger buttons.

m0X4Y.jpg

This is the best mock up so far. I really like it.

The (- home +) buttons needs to be moved. Probably to the bottom of the screen so it won't get in the way of the "thumb palm" resting on it while holding it.

orioto

Good Art™
The_Technomancer said:
The biggest one I see is being able to play console games on the screen anywhere in your house. Sister hogging the TV? Go play Mario Universe in your room.

wwm0nkey said:

Yeah i hear that but we're talking about.. how can i say.. family features, comfortable features that can be cool, ok, but i'm talking about gameplay...

At least, if i could imagine playing a zelda and having the map or ui in my hand.. why not, but not even that! if i'm playing Zelda, i'll have my hands on the sides of the pad and won't be able to use the touch screen... So, ok maybe i can only look at the map just.. versus, pushing start to look at it on the lcd ? Really ?

orioto said:

Any case of local multiplayer where one player has any kind of data that other players should not know about. It happens all the time that players can "cheat" by simply looking at their competitor's information to get a leg-up. I do it all the time and dominate my friends, and I'd like them to have a fighting chance.

Zeliard

Net_Wrecker said:
IDK man, the placement of the sticks in relation to the DPad and Buttons still doesn't look right to me on these mock ups. The RIGHT stick specifically should be placed in a spot that creates an imaginary diagonal line through the buttons just like the DualShock and Xbox 360 controllers.

eg2vqv.jpg
1z48gw4.jpg

See where everything is placed here? having to reach LOWER on a tablet controller for the right stick especially would be weird.

That isn't necessarily true. What's significant is grip. The NGP is possibly the closest thing we have to look at since it's a handheld with dual analog sticks, a fairly large screen, face buttons and triggers.

sg0qvt.jpg

As you can see there, the right trigger is located pretty much right beneath the face buttons, in only a slight diagonal, similar to what JasonMCG mocked up. I'm still unsure about the grip on his mockup, though. NGP's rounded design makes that a non-issue.

wwm0nkey said:

Imagine a Zelda game that doesn't have a horrendous HUD covering up 25% of the TV screen. That alone would make it worth having a screen on the controller.

JaseMath

Jade Knight 08 said:
m0X4Y.jpg

The (- home +) buttons needs to be moved. Probably to the bottom of the screen so it won't get in the way of the "thumb palm" resting on it while holding it.
Yeah, they should probably be moved to the top right and the DS-inspired battery meter could probably be moved to the left.

1-D_FTW said:
Maybe you missed my earlier post when you pulled it for editing? But how do you propose a left trigger exist on this mockup? The trigger is built into the middle molding on the right side. On the left side, the stick is on the flat portion. You'd have two completely different triggers on this set-up. Plus it ignores the fact that IGN is stating the sticks are going to be level. Move the left stick to the middle (like the right) and now both index fingers can have contoured trigger buttons.
I'm confused...I don't see any reason why the shoulder buttons would be hard to reach they way it is now and unless I'm missing something, they shoulder buttons would be exactly the same on both sides.

StevieP

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
How many Wiimotes are in the wild? It can't be that hard to add an option for pointer to controls for FPS's( especially for someone like Activision as the already use them for their current COD Wii games)

There could be 100 billion wiimotes out there. And there will be as many games that support them as a scheme as Wii games supported the Wavebird. At best.

Most of them will be first party. Because third parties will gives us dual-analog games. That's the end of it. A peripheral that isn't in the box won't be well supported. And even if it's in the box, if it's not the default control scheme, most devs won't care.

AKA death of the pointer and back to archaic DA for first person games, if the rumours of a dual-analog ipad are to be believed.

Deku

Banned
Everyone is assuming of course there won't be a remote of any kind on this new device, which IMHO is pretty bold unless you know what they will package with their system and or how the controller actually works.

The more we get info on this, the more likely it is it will come out of the box with a remote and a traditional controller with the gimmick screen.

The remote will be for navigating the console while plugged it on the TV, and the controllers w/ screens will be positioned as a 'screen' for streaming content.

That they also double as controllers is a bonus.

v1oz

So what do you guys think Nintendo will do with the Wiimote? Since you can't obviously waggle a tablet controller. Is it the end of the Wii Sports series.

Zeliard said:
That isn't necessarily true. What's significant is grip. The NGP is possibly the closest thing we have to look at since it's a handheld with dual analog sticks, a fairly large screen, face buttons and triggers.

http://i55.tinypic.com/13z214x.jpg

As you can see there, the right trigger is located pretty much right beneath the face buttons, in only a slight diagonal, similar to what JasonMCG mocked up. I'm still unsure about the grip on his mockup, though. NGP's rounded design makes that a non-issue.

For something like a third person or first person game that requires a lot of camera control that you might be on for long sessions at a time, it still doesn't look as comfortable to me as the "standard" stick placement. Rather than just moving your thumb a little further to the down-left diagonal, you'll be "bending" your thumb a bit. Reeks of handheld finger placement which is uncomfortable to me.

orioto

Good Art™
AndyMoogle said:
Imagine a Zelda game that doesn't have a horrendous HUD covering up 25% of the TV screen. That alone would make it worth having a screen on the controller.

Except that having the hub on the tv allow to look at it quickly. Having to look down on your pad would be a step back.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
davepoobond said:
i dont know if im digging this concept of a personal screen tablet thing. what the hell is the benefit?

You could use the display on the controller (I assume that's what you're referring to) to, say, bring up the map while you're playing, to display the HUD, to display your inventory etc. It's actually a pretty smart idea, one which I find far more interesting than the waggle stuff they introduced with the Wii.

ksamedi

So is Nintendo again making a new standard here. I bet in 5 years, all next next gen consoles will have big screens in the controllers :)

Effect

Deku said:
Everyone is assuming of course there won't be a remote of any kind on this new device, which IMHO is pretty bold unless you know what they will package with their system and or how the controller actually works.

The more we get info on this, the more likely it is it will come out of the box with a remote and a traditional controller with the gimmick screen.

The remote will be for navigating the console while plugged it on the TV, and the controllers w/ screens will be positioned as a 'screen' for streaming content.

I'm hoping and assuming that they'll include both a new controller and a new version of the remote. I find it very hard to see how they come off the Wii without including that option. Certain genres (FPS, TPS, rail shooters, strategy) just simply work better with it. They just need to add more buttons to it and refine the motion controls more. Not only that but not having your hand together all the time is more comfortable.

As an unexpected bonus, if backward compatabilty for wii/cube games is possible, they are gonna look ace on a 6" screen compared to my 50" plasma!

Can't wait to revisit Wind Waker/FZero/Pikmin/SSBM/Eternal Darkness/Etc.

Gonna be cool!

Combichristoffersen said:
You could use the display on the controller (I assume that's what you're referring to) to, say, bring up the map while you're playing, to display the HUD, to display your inventory etc. It's actually a pretty smart idea, one which I find far more interesting than the waggle stuff they introduced with the Wii.

Which all involve looking AWAY from the actual game you're playing which in the heat of the moment will be annoying as hell. I'm still not sold on this "screen in the controller" thing apart from streaming the game to the controller.

JasonMCG said:
Yeah, they should probably be moved to the top right and the DS-inspired battery meter could probably be moved to the left.

I'm confused...I don't see any reason why the shoulder buttons would be hard to reach they way it is now and unless I'm missing something, they shoulder buttons would be exactly the same on both sides.

This is what I'm confused about. You got the back looking like this:
Uwy1o.jpg

f9OiT.jpg

But the input buttons are at the top of the device, so how would you use the shoulder buttons/grip?

Thats why I changed it to this so that your buttons will be around the same position as the grips/shoulder buttons.
2d80fa.jpg

orioto said:
Except that having the hub on the tv allow to look at it quickly. Having to look down on your pad would be a step back.
It really wouldn't. Most HUDs are pointless aside from showing your health, and even that I wouldn't mind being on another screen. Being able to have all weapon info and other less important things on the screen on your controller would be so much better.

Take a look at Ocarina of Time 3D for example. It's way better when most of the stuff is on the bottom screen instead of cluttering up the main screen.

I'm not a fan of this screen in the middle of the controller idea. If those rumors are true than I hope the controller comes apart. Meaning the ends of the controller house the new versions of the Wiimote and Nunchuck. With the new version of the Wiimote adding a second analog stick on it. That would give you the best of both worlds. Snap the Wii2mote andNun2chuck out of the controller and play a FPS with awesome pointer controls. Snap it back in and play Pikmin with menu options or what ever on the tablet.

AndyMoogle said:
It really wouldn't. Most HUDs are pointless aside from showing your health, and even that I wouldn't mind being on another screen. Being able to have all weapon info and other less important things on the screen on your controller would be so much better.

Take a look at Ocarina of Time 3D for example. It's so much better when most of the stuff is on the bottom screen instead of cluttering up the main screen.

The bottom screen is still in your field of vision. Having a HUD on a CONTROLLER would mean moving your head to look down at the controller, or moving the controller to eye level to quickly scan for info.

Zeliard

Net_Wrecker said:
For something like a third person or first person game that requires a lot of camera control that you might be on for long sessions at a time, it still doesn't look as comfortable to me as the "standard" stick placement. Rather than just moving your thumb a little further to the down-left diagonal, you'll be "bending" your thumb a bit. Reeks of handheld finger placement which is uncomfortable to me.

Hard to tell how comfortable it'll end up being either way. The funky thing is the 6" (diagonally) screen and it always has been. How do you move those analog sticks further inward or outward as you're suggesting without widening the base? You'd be cutting into the screen otherwise. And then if you widen the base to compensate you suddenly end up with like an 11" long controller in your hands.

Only other option seems to be a sort of flip mechanic, or something else that gives the screen its own surface to work with independent of the sticks and buttons.

Snakeyes

Jade Knight 08 said:
m0X4Y.jpg

I respectfully disagree, unless the buttons are made more discrete. Putting them somewhere on the side ensures that all the focus is on the screen. Another possible solution to avoid unnecessary clutter on the tablet would be to merge the home and power buttons, add a Start button somewhere and move the +/- buttons to the side of the unit or get rid of them altogether.

Net_Wrecker said:
The bottom screen is still in your field of vision. Having a HUD on a CONTROLLER would mean moving your head to look down at the controller, or moving the controller to eye level to quickly scan for info.
I can't really think of anything I absolutely have to be able to see at all times.

ksamedi

I think one of the advantages of the streaming functionality is that maybe multiple people could play virtual console games at the same time. I think some processing power will be reserved for when someone is playing a Wii2 game so that another person can play a NES game at the same time. Would be pretty cool.

What about this...

The system will be BC, but maybe just emulated... just upscaled. But, you can hook up somehow your existing Wii to the new hardware, so it could have more power to render the games in HD like the Dolphin emulator (which requires very powerful hardware).

davepoobond said:
i dont know if im digging this concept of a personal screen tablet thing. what the hell is the benefit?

Any case of local multiplayer where one player has any kind of data that other players should not know about. It happens all the time that players can "cheat" by simply looking at their competitor's information to get a leg-up. I do it all the time and dominate my friends, and I'd like them to have a fighting chance. (said this one earlier, but I'm stream-of-consciousness-ing)

Technically HUD-less games where there's still a HUD. This isn't so important for me, but others seem to think it a shangri-la of modern gaming.

One of the WWE games has this annoying habit of forgetting that you want manual targeting, so every time we play, we go through this ritual where one person pauses, we wait while he goes through the menu to change his settings and unpauses, then we wait while the next person pauses and changes settings, and so on. Having a menu on the controller would make it possible for the game to actually continue while an individual changes his or her player settings.

On-screen keyboard to enter your initials for your high score or your player name or whatever, far better than previous methods that don't involve a dedicated keyboard.

StevieP

Banned
Deku said:

And devs will make games for the dual-analog tablet.

What about this...

The system will be BC, but maybe just emulated... just upscaled. But, you can hook up somehow your existing Wii to the new hardware, so it could have more power to render the games in HD like the Dolphin emulator (which requires very powerful hardware).

Triple-core PowerPC doesn't have enough juice to do high-level emulation. However, as long as it is the "fuller" brand of PPC (Out of order execution, etc) rather than the stripped-down version "PPE" in the 360 and PS3, it should be fully backwards compatible in hardware. Unless I'm wrong, Power 5, 6, and 7 are all fully backward compatible with eachother and therefore should be BC with Power 3 (GC/Wii).

So do you guys think Nintendo is completely abandoning the kids market? I mean I really don't see a 4-8 year old playing with one of these. Also I know quite a few people who slam the shit out of their pads when they loose lol

Right. It just... doesn't make sense.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So do you guys think Nintendo is completely abandoning the kids market? I mean I really don't see a 4-8 year old playing with one of these. Also I know quite a few people who slam the shit out of their pads when they loose lol

AndyMoogle said:
I can't really think of anything I absolutely have to be able to see at all times.

Having to look away from the screen in almost any shooter online, fast paced action games, shoot em ups, racing titles, or anything else involving split second decisions could cause any number of mistakes.

HYDE

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Lowered the buttons/sticks. :)

Front
m0X4Y.jpg

The only things I think you should change are relevant to the 3DS. I would make the power button square, and put the - home + buttons right under the screen. Then, after fixing those minor things, I would leave 2 mockups, one with the analog sticks straight across from eachother like the NGP, and one with the layout how it is.

I hope the shoulder buttons are more like triggers, and that they are exactly like the gamecube triggers.

Fernando Rocker said:
What about this...

That probably wouldn't work well at all. It seems that Wii and Café will have completely different architectures, so the tiny bit of extra power the Wii could add wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom