• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

Doc Holliday said:
So do you guys think Nintendo is completely abandoning the kids market? I mean I really don't see a 4-8 year old playing with one of these. Also I know quite a few people who slam the shit out of their pads when they loose lol
They can't play with the 3DS either since their little eyes are undeveloped! Nintendo hates children confirmed!

Deku

Banned
StevieP said:
And devs will make games for the dual-analog tablet.

My post doesn't talk about what devs will do at all. I'm sure the more traditional games will be on the more traditional controller,

I'm only pointing out most of the speculation seem to assume there won't be a wiimote included.

ksamedi

GameplayWhore said:
Any case of local multiplayer where one player has any kind of data that other players should not know about. It happens all the time that players can "cheat" by simply looking at their competitor's information to get a leg-up. I do it all the time and dominate my friends, and I'd like them to have a fighting chance. (said this one earlier, but I'm stream-of-consciousness-ing)

Technically HUD-less games where there's still a HUD. This isn't so important for me, but others seem to think it a shangri-la of modern gaming.

One of the WWE games has this annoying habit of forgetting that you want manual targeting, so every time we play, we go through this ritual where one person pauses, we wait while he goes through the menu to change his settings and unpauses, then we wait while the next person pauses and changes settings, and so on. Having a menu on the controller would make it possible for the game to actually continue while an individual changes his or her player settings.

On-screen keyboard to enter your initials for your high score or your player name or whatever, far better than previous methods that don't involve a dedicated keyboard.

On top of adding secrecy to local multiplayer, it could also add visibility in online multiplayer games. Image some kind of powerup where you can see what the opponent is doing trough his camere for a couple of seconds on the controller screen while in an online game.

I also like the idea of cameras in the controller. Would love to see some facial reactions when someone gets fragged. Like the kill cam in COD, expect you now see peoples faces for a second when they die :)

ksamedi said:
I think one of the advantages of the streaming functionality is that maybe multiple people could play virtual console games at the same time. I think some processing power will be reserved for when someone is playing a Wii2 game so that another person can play a NES game at the same time. Would be pretty cool.

That would be incredible. If a friend can come over and two of us can play a game together of high quality while someone else uses the TV, it would simplify my life a whole bunch.

This sort of thing makes a lot of sense if you're married / have kids, have a small place, or like to have movies or television on in the background.

If the purpose of the screen is really to detach the television from the centre of the equation, then I say, I'm ready. I love my giant plasma, but I'm ready.

StevieP

Banned
Deku said:
My post doesn't talk about what devs will do at all. I'm sure the more traditional games will be on the more traditional controller,

That's my issue. There are a great many traditional genres that work better with a pointer. And, as I mentioned, some that even work better with waggle - like 3rd person games and sports games. However, I'm sure devs will make these for the new default controller, simply because it is the default and doing any other possible optional schemes are just that... optional. Unfortunately.

So... waggle is the future? I hate waggle but I love my Wiimote/Nunchuk when I play Metroid Prime: Trilogy.

Sony and Microsoft seem to think so. Question: would you rather play Tiger Woods with a 360 pad or a Wiimote?

Just for reference, when I say waggle I'm not referring to button presses mapped to Wiimote waves like slashing in Twilight Princess. That's NOT the future. Motions that make sense, make sense. Like waving your sword in Red Steel 2 makes *actual* sense. Making a golf swing in Tiger Woods makes sense. Making an uppercut in Godfather to do an uppercut makes sense. And it's better.

ksamedi

Wolves Evolve said:
That would be incredible. If a friend can come over and two of us can play a game together of high quality while someone else uses the TV, it would simplify my life a whole bunch.

This sort of thing makes a lot of sense if you're married / have kids, have a small place, or like to have movies or television on in the background.

If the purpose of the screen is really to detach the television from the centre of the equation, then I say, I'm ready. I love my giant plasma, but I'm ready.

I think this is exactly what Nintendo is going for. Thats why I'm excited for this as well.

Grok4Spock

AndyMoogle said:
Didn't Miyamoto at one point say that he wanted to make a console that didn't need a TV? I think it was 5+ years ago.
One day Nintendo will make a console so advanced, it plays itself... Nintendo SkyNet confiemed..

Ovid

So is this console basically a rip of Sony's LocationFree device (but executed better)?

I guess is that's kinda cool. Cool enough to warrant purchase of another $300+ console? Probably not.

We'll see what happens in June.

Well, this console could potentially be played without a TV.

tarius1210 said:
So is this console basically a rip of Sony's LocationFree device (but executed better)?

I guess is that's kinda cool. Cool enough to warrant purchase of another $300+ console? Probably not.

I really don't care at all about the streaming potential, I just want them to use the screen for gameplay purposes.

Hiltz said:
"Whenever we make a new game console, we've done it without throwing away buttons and the directional pad. The reason for that it's better to have them, because buttons and directional pads benefit gameplay response. Taking this into account, Nintendo isn't planning on completely ditching buttons, nor is Nintendo thinking of taking tablets as they are today and implementing them in a game console." - Satoru Iwata

http://kotaku.com/#!5796542/nintendo-likes-buttons-and-wont-ditch-them

So did anyone see this part?

Shin Johnpv said:
I'm not a fan of this screen in the middle of the controller idea. If those rumors are true than I hope the controller comes apart. Meaning the ends of the controller house the new versions of the Wiimote and Nunchuck. With the new version of the Wiimote adding a second analog stick on it. That would give you the best of both worlds. Snap the Wii2mote andNun2chuck out of the controller and play a FPS with awesome pointer controls. Snap it back in and play Pikmin with menu options or what ever on the tablet.
That's being thought about already. Its the best of two worlds. Problem comes from rumors reporting a screen with buttons and 2 sticks, "like an Ipad with buttons" they say.

A modular design with Wiiremote/Nunchuck, that ensambles with the screen to a traditional controller lay out would be killer.

defferoo

JasonMCG said:
The rumored resolution is 800x500 and also, the thing is small - small enough where anyone could easily reach both the YBXA buttons and the stick when used in tandem.
nah, "800x500 range" is the quote. which means everybody just assumed it would be exactly 800x500.

Deku

Banned
StevieP said:
That's my issue. There are a great many traditional genres that work better with a pointer. And, as I mentioned, some that even work better with waggle - like 3rd person games and sports games. However, I'm sure devs will make these for the new default controller, simply because it is the default and doing any other possible optional schemes are just that... optional. Unfortunately.

My post was in response to side discussion about potential Wii games not being supported due to lack of a revised Wiimote.

given Kinect like tech will likely make it into the next Xbox and a move upgrade also into the PS4, we're likely going to see multiple controllers/control methods being included into the next gen of systems after several generations of value being removed starting with pack-ins being cut and P2 controllers being removed. Even if it is merely a transitionary thing, the market realities overwhelming;y favour this method of packaging consoles in the near term.

If you include something out of the box, devs can support some, one or all methods with little concern, and I suspect you'll also get lots of Cafe games that have a wiimote option and a traditional option.

tarius1210 said:

What do you mean? How is it similar?

JasonMCG said:
Lowered the buttons/sticks. :)

Front
m0X4Y.jpg

Your camera looks right of center. Might make more sense to move the +, Home, and - buttons, under the screen opposite the camera for aesthetic purposes. Widen the back section slightly and double the bumpers to appease the traditional controller crowd and you may just have something.

methodman said:
If I can watch a random NBA game on tv, while playing 4 player Mario kart??? Ahhh shit

You can already do this on a handheld.

(+ these crazy tabletrollers are likely to cost just as much as a DS + Mario Kart :p)

mantidor

I get the gameplay ideas for a traditional controller with a big screen, what I don't get is how it will integrate with the remote-nunchuk combo. I honestly think they will just not integrate at all, which would suck, I want motion controls with this new console to be the standard, not a backwards compatible only thing like the GC controllers were for the Wii.

ksamedi

Net_Wrecker said:
You can already do this on a handheld.

(+ these crazy tabletrollers are likely to cost just as much as a DS + Mario Kart :p)

I really don't think so. The screen will probably add some costs but it won't cost nowhere nears as much as a 3DS or NGP.

Vinci

Danish
AndyMoogle said:
Well, this console could potentially be played without a TV.

I really don't care at all about the streaming potential, I just want them to use the screen for gameplay purposes.

And there are a number of possible gameplay purposes, especially so long as Nintendo leaves its usage up to developers. That is, if the screen is truly capable of streaming the entire game onto it, then imagine if a developer decided to do something else with it rather than simply doing that. There are a LOT of possibilities opened up by an additional field of input combined with personalized viewpoint and perspective.

I don't have photoshop skills so I edited Jason's pic in Paint

2cfs6yg.jpg

and the back - couldn't add the trigger
t5gn0o.jpg

that should fix most of the problems.
now if someone could edit in the trigger we should be golden.

Refreshment.01 said:
That's being thought about already. Its the best of two worlds. Problem comes from rumors reporting a screen with buttons and 2 sticks, "like an Ipad with buttons" they say.

A modular design with Wiiremote/Nunchuck, that ensambles with the screen to a traditional controller lay out would be killer.

Maybe the folks reporting the rumors only saw the "put together" version. I'd love to see some mock ups that take the idea of an updated Wiimote+Nunchuck pluging into the sides of the tablet body. Make the nunchuck wireless, and add a second analog to the Wiimote and I think you have win.

wwm0nkey said:
HUD options can go on the screen

Entire game can be streamed too the screen.

I would also add that it adds touchscreen elements to console games (already seen on DS/ios devices) which will make the games more interactive. Imagine an Indiana Jones game where you have to dust off something using your fingers instead of pushing a button combination.

KevinCow

Banned
davepoobond said:
i dont know if im digging this concept of a personal screen tablet thing. what the hell is the benefit?

Hotkeys in an RTS.
Weapon switching in Zelda, or just general item management in most games without having to pause. And a big touch screen is a potentially nicer interface for item management than buttons, if done right.
A more detailed mini-map than the tiny obtrusive circle we get in current games.
Pac-Man Vs. without GBAs and link cables.

I dunno. I can think of plenty of things that will be nice to have, but not too many huge, game changing things. I'm sure Nintendo will have some cool stuff to show off at E3, though. Stuff that'll make you say, "Oooooh, yeah, that's pretty cool." Yet at the same time, I'm sure there will be plenty of games that use it in some really gimmicky and retarded ways that just make you think, "Why not just do it the regular way?" like you see on the DS.

Hopefully the screen doesn't add too much onto the price of the controller, so even if it does turn out not being particularly amazing, we still get the little benefits without the disadvantage of being really expensive.

Parl

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I don't have photoshop skills so I edited Jason's pic in Paint

http://i55.tinypic.com/2cfs6yg.jpg[IMG]

and the back - couldn't add the trigger
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/t5gn0o.jpg[IMG]

that should fix most of the problems.
now if someone could edit in the trigger we should be golden.[/QUOTE]
It needs speakers.

Alfa

Neo Member
Even if that is innovative, it seem very uncomfortable to play! I believe that's not it. It's only a small concept of revolutionary something that is coming!
Because this is a little thing to launch a new videogame. It would be disappointing =/

Retro said:
People seemed to like the idea of the display being set on the tabletop a few pages back It occurred to me last night that a controller could be built to allow the screen to remain upright, for when the player isn't actually playing (standby mode) or using the Wiimote;

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2ihsfba.jpg[IMG]
[URL="http://oi52.tinypic.com/24xey6t.jpg"]Click here for Full-Screen Mockup with Labels[/URL]

The two controller 'halves' are locked in a fixed position, but the screen can be tilted independently to provide the optimal view or adjust the camera angle. The screen can be tilted so that the controller 'arms' can support the screen in an upright position, like a picture frame;

[IMG]http://oi51.tinypic.com/4rymoi.jpg[IMG]

In this way, you can set the controller up on a coffee table ([I]wink wink[/I]) so the camera and screen are facing you, ideal for video chat or when you want to be able to see the screen but are using the motion controls.

[b]Obviously durability is an issue; the controller would need to have some kind of durable interior frame so players can't snap the pivot around which the screen swivels up and down.[/b] That adds weight, which is always an issue, but because this is more like a standard controller, the weight is distributed in both hands or onto the lap.
:lol[/QUOTE]

Why don't you add a bar across the bottom that the screen also rest against when held like a controller. This will will minimize the twisting of the 2 handles and another protective barrier against the screen swiveling the wrong way.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Older than Wii's processors.

Yes. Easier to be precise/steady with touch screen, but the pointer has a greater sense of... pointing. Pointer also obstructs your view less and lets your pointing hand have more control than just pointing.

I'm hoping so. Some people think that's excessive, but I think packages like X360 with regular controller and Kinect, or even NES with pad and Zapper, have not been turnoffs in the past.

Exactly why I hope it's included from the get-go.

NES Zapper was barely used, and that was in the age of arcade shooters. Kinect doesn't really have many games going for it either.

It's sounding more and more like a handheld that's just powered by a big console. I like the idea, especially if the wireless range is very far, but it just makes me think that we could just wait for the next generation of handhelds (after 3DS/NGP) and get a similar result. But right now, I'm personally battling for the big TV so I could play Portal 2. On the Cafe, I wouldn't have to do that.

I'm mostly hoping Nintendo will sell controllers without a screen, for games where the screen isn't mandatory.

AndyMoogle said:
Picture-in-Picture mode on your TV should already make this possible.
I have to say no thanks to PIP + 4 player splitscreen. That sounds... painful. :(

ksamedi

Lonewolf_92 said:
NES Zapper was barely used, and that was in the age of arcade shooters. Kinect doesn't really have many games going for it either.

Thats not the point, though. If a Wiimote is packed in, it would add lots of flexibility for all kinds of developers. Publishers will be able to release a wide range of games from stuff that was popular on the Wii like Just Dance or Wii Sports to stuff that was popular on the HD consoles. It adds options and variety. Publishers will not even try if motion controls are not packed in and we will have less choice as gamers.

Krev said:
Everyone's been freaking out about the possibility that the pointer has been dropped, but if the reports of a sensor bar in the controller are accurate, it has to be included . A lot of people, even IGN's roundtable, interpret this to mean you'll use it like the Wii bar, but that's ridiculous. Imagine trying to balance a 6 inch tablet on a wall mounted HDTV. It will need a standard sensor bar for BC. The sensor on the controller must be to detect the pointer when games are being streamed to the screen. They'll probably include a stand to prop it up during pointer games.

Zeliard said:
Though can you really use a pointer of that sort on a screen that small effectively?

You woudl actually still be using the TV, the controller would just provide you with your own personal and much closer sensor bar.

Let me paint a picture for you:

Your sitting in your livingroom with a coffee table in front of you and a 55" HDTV beyond that.

This is your Cafe Controller in it's stand
RyFyc.gif

and it's sitting on the coffee table right in front of you. You have your Wiimote 2.0 in your hands and you are playing some game that uses pointing and motion controls. The IR from the controller works as your sensor bar and you don't have to worry about glare off your table or other light sources interfering with your signal since your personal sensor bar is only 2 feet away.

And while the controller is sitting on the table infront of you, it could be used for other things like videochat or HUD/Map, security camera feed, etc etc.

ksamedi said:
Touch screens work best when you can directly interact with the game world with it. It never really worked well for aiming. I don't think Nintendo will ditch the pointer. I believe there will be 2 controllers in the box. Would be stupid to use a touchscreen as a substitute for pointing.
aiming?.. tap = shot. Moving around was the hard part.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
PushTheButtonMax said:

"Whenever we make a new game console, we've done it without throwing away buttons and the directional pad. The reason for that it's better to have them, because buttons and directional pads benefit gameplay response. Taking this into account, Nintendo isn't planning on completely ditching buttons, nor is Nintendo thinking of taking tablets as they are today and implementing them in a game console."

- Satoru Iwata

So did anyone see this part?

As there are today

Interesting wording.

ksamedi

Always-honest said:

Your fingers would block the screen. Camera control would be hard to pull of like that too. A tech demo of Metroid Hunters attempted that control scheme but they ditched it.

Xrenity

I don't think Nintendo will drop the WiiMote (seems backwards as they wanted to change the way we control games) and playing games only on the controller's screen seems dumb. We got handhelds for that and the screen just can not be an expensive one...

Hope they'll blow me away at E3

luffeN

I took Jason's tablet controller and put the buttons etc. under the screen. Excuse my poor Paint skills, but this is just to show you the general button placement. Edges etc. can be different.

bt1burweq0c65i09r.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
Always-honest said:

I don't think any game ever used the tap = shoot control scheme. NST experimented with it for Hunters, showed it off that way when they first revealed it, but they realized it was rubbish and went with the touch screen as a pseudo-mouse thing instead. As far as I know, all FPS games on the DS do the same.

ksamedi said:
Your fingers would block the screen. Camera control would be hard to pull of like that too. A tech demo of Metroid Hunters attempted that control scheme but they ditched it.
yeah, but shooting was a breeze in that demo. If they can improve camera and moving...

Wiimote is fine with me, it's 1000 x betetr than the god awefull dual analog.

Skiesofwonder said:
As there are today

Interesting wording.

I think that's possibly just a reference to tablets being (exclusively?) touch-only and not wanting to go that path, which ties in with his point about buttons.

ksamedi

Always-honest said:
yeah, but shooting was a breeze in that demo. If they can improve camera and moving...

Wiimote is fine with me, it's 1000 x betetr than the god awefull dual analog.

yep. Thats why I hope Nintendo doesn't do something stupid and sell it as an optional accessory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom