• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antagon said:
Why wouldn't it just be able to pick up a Wii remote / nunchuck if you're playing Wii games but not use them for new games? No need to pack them at all.

I think this system will have motion controls of its own. And they will be superior to motion plus.

steviep said:
Dear ALL GAMERS: Peripherals won't work. Most devs won't make games for it. See: all of history.

UVkaI.jpg

mCv8r.jpg

Utako

Banned
Deku said:
Everyone is assuming of course there won't be a remote of any kind on this new device, which IMHO is pretty bold unless you know what they will package with their system and or how the controller actually works.

The more we get info on this, the more likely it is it will come out of the box with a remote and a traditional controller with the gimmick screen.

The remote will be for navigating the console while plugged it on the TV, and the controllers w/ screens will be positioned as a 'screen' for streaming content.

That they also double as controllers is a bonus.
I don't agree with any of this. Including the insinuation that a touchscreen is an insubstantial addition to a console.

AndyMoogle said:
Didn't Miyamoto at one point say that he wanted to make a console that didn't need a TV? I think it was 5+ years ago.

Yeah. It was based on the idea that the game would take up the room or something like that. The game would be projected on the walls and ceiling if I understood/remember it correctly. And he ended that statement pretty quick which would lead one to believe they are working on something like that down the road.

bgassassin said:
Yeah. It was based on the idea that the game would take up the room or something like that. The game would be projected on the walls and ceiling if I understood/remember it correctly. And he ended that statement pretty quick which would lead one to believe they are working on something like that down the road.

Wasn't that around the time of the rumour about a patent on Holographic projection?

defferoo

Fernando Rocker said:
What about this...

The system will be BC, but maybe just emulated... just upscaled. But, you can hook up somehow your existing Wii to the new hardware, so it could have more power to render the games in HD like the Dolphin emulator (which requires very powerful hardware).
LOL, do you know how hardware works? exactly what kind of connector would be fast enough to allow any sort of meaningful connection between a Wii and Cafe? not USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, or any type of connector the Wii has. and you can't just "add the Wii in for more power".. doesn't work like that.

If they are going to make it backwards compatible, you can bet the Cafe would be the one handling it. otherwise they'll need to say something like "Backwards compatible with Wii! Wii required, but not included"

Amir0x

Banned
orioto said:
When i say PSX/N64 level of polys. It has a bigger environment and more things like vegetations and such of course, it looks way better. But in the end, the background is simple blocks everywhere, really... There is zero geometry in the architecture.

Ah, yeah. I don't disagree. It's an economy of design, but I think it's a rather impressive looking effort compared to most 3DS titles so far.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
manueldelalas said:
You guys are all missing the whole point of the screen on the controller.

IT MEANS THE RETURN OF ADVENTURE GAMES WITH SCUMM!!!!
oh god i didn't even

even with all the stupid made up games' lists

wouldn't it be safe to say that we can look at any upcoming Final Fantasy PS3/360 title as a possible port for this thing? Or any strong 3rd Party title for that matter?

I imagine no matter how much more powerful this thing is, easy ports are a safer bet than exclusives at this point.

I would love to see some Wii games like Xenoblade and The Last Story remade with new textures and shaders but even if we don't get those, we can see exclusives from what exclusives Nintendo has managed with the Wii

So instead of making up shit lists why not just look at what is really possible?

Cerebral Assassin said:
Wasn't that around the time of the rumour about a patent on Holographic projection?

I think that was a news story about Holographic storage which some casuals got confused about.

Edit: Here's a relevant newsbit. It's from '08.

Edit 2: Ah, apparently there actually was such a rumour based on an actual patent. Sorry about mixing it up. Nonetheless, the Holographic storage thing is still interesting as a long-shot Café secret feature

wsippel

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
I wonder how much of the tech Nintendo has looked into will never be used by them.
Most of it. But I guess they didn't hire the aforementioned developer because he worked at a company designing miniature laser projectors, anyway. The guy is a DSP and FPGA designer and driver developer.

Cerebral Assassin said:

Yeah it was around that time, maybe a little bit before. I had forgotten about it till you mentioned. I still remember the patent picture.

igncubes-nintendo-revolution-faq-20050131050033523.jpg

Retro

Refreshment.01 said:
What material are you imaging in the grips? Remember those things tend to peal after extended periods of use. Anyway its a nice touch, one wouldnt want a controller with a screen to slip of your hands.

I hadn't considered any materials, but even something like a roughly textured plastic would work. I would imagine making the controller scratch-resistant (to surfaces, not the controller) would call for some kind of silicon-like grip, like the current Wii condoms.

Not sure. Wasn't something I had considered. Honestly, I just had the idea of a swivel-screen and ran with that.

Refreshment.01 said:
A recomendation, always include the side view of the mock up when posting a picture. Its very important since its the part that most designers/posters are neglecting.

Well, there was a side view in the original mockup. You mentioned having a more traditional color scheme so I just did a really quick fix in Photoshop to change all of the blue-green accents to dark grey. Here's the original mockup which has a side view, a cutaway view with just the swivel-screen, and a sideview in "Frame" mode; http://oi52.tinypic.com/24xey6t.jpg

Vinci said:
At least Retro gave the thing handles.

While they certainly look pretty, I can't imagine spending any kind of long-term gaming session with one of these iPad-inspired controllers. Give me a classic handled controller any day.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Why don't you add a bar across the bottom that the screen also rest against when held like a controller. This will will minimize the twisting of the 2 handles and another protective barrier against the screen swiveling the wrong way.

That's probably a step towards making it less fragile, yeah. I slipped in a rechargable battery (ala the 360) at the center of the screen and that fits pretty snugly at the bottom of the screen... but there's always room for changes and the battery pack I designed was much more vertical than it needs to be...

I envisioned the swivel being about as tight as the DS's clamshell design, by the way; it's a fairly snug joint, but it 'sticks' at specific angles. I don't see the screen rocking back and forth while you're playing.

bgassassin said:
Yeah it was around that time, maybe a little bit before. I had forgotten about it till you mentioned. I still remember the patent picture.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image...nintendo-revolution-faq-20050131050033523.jpg

The IGN Revolution FAQ suggests that this is just an alleged reproduction from memory of a sketch at Nintendo had in an internal paper, not a pic from a patent. I did a patent search for stuff from Nintendo including the word "holographic" but couldn't find it. It could still be in a patent somewhere, but my impression is that it wasn't anything more than (at worst) a hoax or (at best) a doodle that somebody brought up at a meeting as a vague idea which had no actual technology necessarily backing it up. Anyway, the rumour containing the sketch came with attached papers declaring the new name of Revolution as the "Nintendo 21" and that it has pressure-sensitive controllers (I remember that part of the rumour being very popular at the time).

...and now we finally have a pressure-sensitive controller ... sort of.

And that '05 rumour also had the system acting as a wireless hub to communicate with other systems, which is once again a rumour that I'm seeing floating about (for this there actually is now a patent, I recall).

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Shikamaru Ninja said:
F-Zero X wasn't ground breaking? The low poly thing is only relevant really when people post a screen shot of how crappy the game looked in stills. But what game at the time had 30 racers on screen at 60 fps? That was amazing. Also how about 4-player splitscreen at 60fps? Random track generator? Death Race? The game was amazing. One of my favorite racers ever.

But I think. It will be developed by EAD Group No.5 and a co-developer. Just like they did Steel Diver. Infact. If you look at Steel Diver's credits. Steel Diver Staff. Tadashi Sugiyama. Takaya Imamura. Taro Bando. All working together. All members of the F-Zero X team. How random is that?

But if NST. Retro Studios. Monster Games did it. I would be delighted as well.
It wasn't groundbreaking, sorry. I mean, it was nice having 30 racers on track, the controls were awesome, multiplayer lacking, 80s music, etc. But it wasn't groundbreaking (well, the 64DD expansion was, but you know...), at all.

You are right in the second paragraph (I hope that NST (aka Nintendo shitty team) isn't working on it, because although they are technically very capable, their games suck in the end because they are no fun), and I think Monster games would make an awesome F-Zero.

JaseMath

Here's a revision to my previous mock-up knowing that it'll probably be chewed up. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I swear, this is the last one. :p

sSHAM.jpg

AColdDay

I wonder if there is a japanese equivalent to neogaf? I would love to google translate that messegeboard and see what they are thinking. I wonder if japanese design sensabilities are similar to ours? What is there Wii2 speculation like?

Can Japan-gaf help me out?

wsippel said:
Most of it. But I guess they didn't hire the aforementioned developer because he worked at a company designing miniature laser projectors, anyway. The guy is a DSP and FPGA designer and driver developer.

Booooooo, Cafe 2 in 2017 using laser projection confirmed
to be mentioned in the Neogaf rumour thread

[Nintex]

jred250 said:
I wonder if there is a japanese equivalent to neogaf? I would love to google translate that messegeboard and see what they are thinking. I wonder if japanese design sensabilities are similar to ours? What is there Wii2 speculation like?

They probably don't care about any of this.

[Nintex]

xandaca said:
What if the tablet we're thinking of as the controller is actually the console itself? Given how it's possible to make a fairly lightweight, slim laptop that can play modern games with good graphical capability, is it in any way possible that Nintendo could make a console that doubles up as a fairly large handheld?
$400 controllers? Yeah, that'll work.

jred250 said:

2ch.net - where currently people are HOPING its less powerful than a PS3 because anything more is a waste of money, and they are very excited about the ability to play HD games without a television. Everybody is talking about a Japanese interview I know nothing about from two days ago in which somebody from Nintendo said that comprehensive online 'the Nintendo way' -was- the system, or somesuch. I don't read Japanese so I'm relying on a sexy translator for this info.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Wolves Evolve said:
Everybody is talking about a Japanese interview I know nothing about from two days ago in which somebody from Nintendo said that comprehensive online 'the Nintendo way' -was- the system, or somesuch.
"my uncle works for nintendo and he said"

Wolves Evolve said:
2ch.net - where currently people are HOPING its less powerful than a PS3 because anything more is a waste of money, and they are very excited about the ability to play HD games without a television. Everybody is talking about a Japanese interview I know nothing about from two days ago in which somebody from Nintendo said that comprehensive online 'the Nintendo way' -was- the system, or somesuch. I don't read Japanese so I'm relying on a sexy translator for this info.

That sounds more like Japanese GameFAQs than Japanese GAF...

Eteric Rice

Wolves Evolve said:

wat.

Luigison

Luigison said:
This just gave me an idea. What if in a two player game the players faced each other or a common area (no TV required). They each had a controller and could see a screen (on their or possibly the other players controller).

Was the controller acting as a sensor bar rumor confirmed or dismissed. If it's real the two players could play coop or vs with the movement of the controller relative to each other or a central object like one of those 3DS cards.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
od2dw.jpg

I added 2 white rectangles at the top of the controller to represent the IR sensors.
But I didn't un-stagger the analogs.

I hope JasonMCG doesn't mind me tweaking his design.

I don't see that point of having the sensor bar lights on the front of the device unless you are supposed to wear the Wiimote or a similar camera on you head/glasses. Turn it around with the camera on the device and IR LED in your glasses then it be awesome (I've used this setup base on Johnny Chung Lee's head tracking demo, but on a projection screen and it's awesome.) I don't see Nintendo making you wear a head band/glasses though.

On the other hand, putting the sensor bar lights on the back of the controller would allow it to interact with another players controller if they're facing each other or interact with the console. Think of it more like an interactive virtual window or picture frame that could show objects like on the 3DS cards, your opponents, the came, and/or real objects.

AColdDay

Wolves Evolve said:
This stuff is fascinating to me because it really illuminates the differences (and occasionally similaraties) between what the west wants in a console and what the east wants in a console.

KevinCow

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Here's a revision to my previous mock-up knowing that it'll probably be chewed up. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I swear, this is the last one. :p

sSHAM.jpg

IT SUCKS AND IT'S HORRIBLE.

Bur seriously no, it's fucking amazing.

Medalion

Banned
So it was officially announced for E3, Wii 2/Stream will be playable to people on the E3 floor, for those who doubted how much would be shown to people hands on, no moar quotes and guessing...if u can go to E3, u are able to line up to play the damned thing

Emitan

JasonMCG said:

sSHAM.jpg
D-Pad is inline with the buttons. A+

I care way too much about D-Pads

Medalion said:
So it was officially announced for E3, Wii 2/Stream will be playable to people on the E3 floor, for those who doubted how much would be shown to people hands on, no moar quotes and guessing...if u can go to E3, u are able to stand in a line for hours and never get to play
Fixed. There's no way Nintendo's booth isn't going to be packed.

Billychu said:
D-Pad is inline with the buttons. A+

I care way too much about D-Pads

You can't care too much about the D-Pad. How else am I supposed to navigate menus quickly? Touchscreen? BAH. And don't get me started on menu navigation with an analog stick.

Stylo

Green Scar said:
You can't care too much about the D-Pad. How else am I supposed to navigate menus quickly? Touchscreen? BAH. And don't get me started on menu navigation with an analog stick.

I'm still dumbfounded that D-pads have still not surpassed the standard Sega Saturn left.

Ovid

ssolitare said:
Okay I didn't even know about it. What it like, i'm pretty curious now.
Lair was the only game that worked via the PS3 Remote Play app (I think it was a mistake by the programmers).

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswJEYDm_cg

It's a cool concept but it was executed poorly on the part of Sony. It seems Nintendo figured out how to do it right.

Today, LocationFree/Remote Play feature of the PS3 only works with PSone games. For more info on it check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

GameplayWhore said:
The IGN Revolution FAQ suggests that this is just an alleged reproduction from memory of a sketch at Nintendo had in an internal paper, not a pic from a patent. I did a patent search for stuff from Nintendo including the word "holographic" but couldn't find it. It could still be in a patent somewhere, but my impression is that it wasn't anything more than (at worst) a hoax or (at best) a doodle that somebody brought up at a meeting as a vague idea which had no actual technology necessarily backing it up. Anyway, the rumour containing the sketch came with attached papers declaring the new name of Revolution as the "Nintendo 21" and that it has pressure-sensitive controllers (I remember that part of the rumour being very popular at the time).

...and now we finally have a pressure-sensitive controller ... sort of.

And that '05 rumour also had the system acting as a wireless hub to communicate with other systems, which is once again a rumour that I'm seeing floating about (for this there actually is now a patent, I recall).

Thanks for the clear up. I thought of it as a patent picture because of the look of it and couldn't remember the background on it.

This was where I got the picture from since I forgot it was from IGN.

http://community.invisionpower.com/...n-conspiracy/page__view__findpost__p__1186684

Medalion

Banned
A.KU.MU said:
Bah, I can't stand this much longer. Need... E3... now.
When E3 comes around and the huge meltdowns happen, u will wish we could go back to the days of speculation before the dissapointment and bitchfest threads come out

All of these controller concepts looks SO uncomfortable without any handgrips.

To play my DS, PSP, and Wiimote (sideways for NSMB), I had to buy $5 plastic grips on Ebay for each one of them to play with any comfort.

The Classic Controller Pro improved the original Classic Controller dramatically, only with the added grips.

Retro

Mr. E. Yis said:
All of these controller concepts looks SO uncomfortable without any handgrips.

To play my DS, PSP, and Wiimote (sideways for NSMB), I had to buy $5 plastic grips on Ebay for each one of them to play with any comfort.

The Classic Controller Pro improved the original Classic Controller dramatically, only with the added grips.

That's why I put handgrips on my mockup. I can't play my regular DS (Not the lite, the big honkin' original) for more than an hour without handcramps. NSMBW was kind of tough too.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love that you can turn the Wiimote sideways and have a classic NES controller, and as big of a nerd as I am for Retrogames (dig the username), even I have to admit the original NES controller and even the SNES have some comfort issues. I wouldn't say I have exceptionally big hands either.

These iWii controller designs are sleek, stylish, elegant and cool... but I don't play videogames to be any of those things. I play them to have fun, and grabbing at a controller the thickness of a DVD case or trying to use controls that are pleasing to the eye but not the hands and wrists? Fuck that noise. Gimmie a controller, damnit, not an iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom