• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made another mockup, tried to include some Gamecube and Dreamcast influences this time.

27Ru8.jpg

The one I made earlier:

WWRex.jpg

MYE

JasonMCG said:
Someone should make a Wii 2 controller mock up thread.

Go for it :p

We need to dump all these mock ups in one place. This thread is just too big for anyone to have a clear idea of whats been done so far.

JaseMath

Mr. E. Yis said:
All of these controller concepts looks SO uncomfortable without any handgrips.

To play my DS, PSP, and Wiimote (sideways for NSMB), I had to buy $5 plastic grips on Ebay for each one of them to play with any comfort.

The Classic Controller Pro improved the original Classic Controller dramatically, only with the added grips.
Most of them do have handgrips, they're just at the back.

Front
sSHAM.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

Luigison said:
I don't see that point of having the sensor bar lights on the front of the device unless you are supposed to wear the Wiimote or a similar camera on you head/glasses. Turn it around with the camera on the device and IR LED in your glasses then it be awesome (I've used this setup base on Johnny Chung Lee's head tracking demo, but on a projection screen and it's awesome.) I don't see Nintendo making you wear a head band/glasses though.

On the other hand, putting the sensor bar lights on the back of the controller would allow it to interact with another players controller if they're facing each other or interact with the console. Think of it more like an interactive virtual window or picture frame that could show objects like on the 3DS cards, your opponents, the came, and/or real objects.
BlackNMild2k1 said:
Let me paint a picture for you:

Your sitting in your livingroom with a coffee table in front of you and a 55" HDTV beyond that.

This is your Cafe Controller in it's stand
RyFyc.gif

and it's sitting on the coffee table right in front of you. You have your Wiimote 2.0 in your hands and you are playing some game that uses pointing and motion controls. The IR from the controller works as your sensor bar and you don't have to worry about glare off your table or other light sources interfering with your signal since your personal sensor bar is only 2 feet away.

And while the controller is sitting on the table infront of you, it could be used for other things like videochat or HUD/Map, security camera feed, etc etc.

Atleast that's how I envision it.

I am just hoping people are not wasting too much time on this mock ups. IT might turn out to be diffrent but regardless i am not too excited about controller. I love wii controler too much. I am just waiting for bluray conformation and online integration.

I've never been a fan of the Wii and I have lost a lot of my love for Nintendo over the years. But I am so pumped for Project Cafe, if they go back to traditional controls + HD graphics (1080p!!) then I'm going to love it.

TunaLover

Oh come on guys, don't tell me I'm the only one that thinks that not regular corners give it a lot style.

ayn5tx.jpg

For example, Gameboy speaker corner

2i1gok4.jpg

See?

Hiro

Banned
Darknessbear said:
I've never been a fan of the Wii and I have lost a lot of my love for Nintendo over the years. But I am so pumped for Project Cafe, if they go back to traditional controls + HD graphics (1080p!!) then I'm going to love it.

And if they don't....I imagine that people will be committing harakiri/seppuku.

Retro said:
BlackNMild2k1 said:
Why don't you add a bar across the bottom that the screen also rest against when held like a controller. This will will minimize the twisting of the 2 handles and another protective barrier against the screen swiveling the wrong way.
That's probably a step towards making it less fragile, yeah. I slipped in a rechargable battery (ala the 360) at the center of the screen and that fits pretty snugly at the bottom of the screen... but there's always room for changes and the battery pack I designed was much more vertical than it needs to be...

I envisioned the swivel being about as tight as the DS's clamshell design, by the way; it's a fairly snug joint, but it 'sticks' at specific angles. I don't see the screen rocking back and forth while you're playing.

Just to be clear I meant connect the two handles with a bar across the bottom that also acts as a backstop for the screen. You have some left over space under your screen and you can just put a connecting piece of plastic there to prevent independent swivel of the handles and also any undue strain on the on the hinge from the screen being pressed down too hard.
Your design doesn't really work if the handles are allowed independent movement or if the screen can swing back past the handles when in use. The bar at the bottom of the controllers prevents either of those things from happening.

Hiro

Banned
TunaLover said:
Oh come on guys, don't tell me I'm the only one that thinks that not regular corners give it a lot style =3

So far, most of the mock-ups I've seen, including the one you post, look incredibly uncomfortable to hold. I'd rather have a Wii-mote or PS360 controller as opposed to what I'm seeing.

JasonMCG said:
No. That thick back doesn't extend all the way across...its like a handle grip as viewed from the side.

I don't think you understand what I did.

the way you had it the shoulder button would be below where you had the analog sticks and therefore either the shoulder buttons would be useless or more likely the analog stick and the buttons would be too high to reach.

Take the side view I edited and enlarge it to the same size as the mock-up you made and put them side by side. Do it with the unedited version you originally posted and you will see the problem.

My "fixed" version makes your design usable. It's what people were complaining about several pages back when you first posted it.

The unfixed version would be good if your controls were at the bottom of the tablet and your tablet was really tall.

edit: here is the example I did
vo4axj.jpg

which one looks usable?

Darknessbear said:
Ehhh, we'll see how traditional their controls are. You've got a bit of catching up to do with Nintendo games, though!

JaseMath

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I don't think you understand what I did.

the way you had it the shoulder button would be below where you had the analog sticks and therefore either the shoulder buttons would be useless or more likely the analog stick and the buttons would be too high to reach.

Take the side view I edited and enlarge it to the same size as the mock-up you made and put them side by side. Do it with the unedited version you originally posted and you will see the problem.

My "fixed" version makes your design usable. It's what people were complaining about several pages back when you first posted it.

The unfixed version would be good if your controls were at the bottom of the tablet and your tablet was really tall.

edit: here is the example I did
vo4axj.jpg

which one looks usable?
Cool, fair enough.

KevinCow

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Most of them do have handgrips, they're just at the back.

Front
sSHAM.jpg

Back
Uwy1o.jpg

The handles are way too low, but BlackNMild's version made them way too chunky. They just gotta be raised up a bit.

YcWmK.png

WTxgj.png

I also think having the grips centered vertically will make the controller feel better balanced in your hands.

beef3483

Darknessbear said:

And I'm going to hate it,

if that's all it is.

Agent X

KevinCow said:
The handles are way too low, but BlackNMild's version made them way too chunky. They just gotta be raised up a bit.

YcWmK.png

WTxgj.png

I also think having the grips centered vertically will make the controller feel better balanced in your hands.

Nice concept.

One other benefit is that with the handles in the position like the bottom prototype, you could conceivably rest the unit on a tabletop, with the top edge being elevated more than the bottom edge. In other words, the screen would have a slight incline. This might make it slightly easier to view if you were playing a touchscreen-only game or watching a movie, compared to a typical "flat" tablet.

J-Rock

Banned
So what do you guys actually want the second screen to do? Stream full games? Use it like the lower screen on the DS(ie: Maps, items, character stats, etc.). Maybe bring up the main menu with various options(see who's online, chat with friends, etc.). I'd love to see some mock-ups that show the sort of content you'd like to see used on the controller screen(not just Mario Galaxy).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
These edits are so fucking weird. I can't see any of these being comfortable at all
Well, none of us are Industrial designers, I believe. :p

J-Rock said:
So what do you guys actually want the second screen to do? Stream full games? Use it like the lower screen on the DS(ie: Maps, items, character stats, etc.). Maybe bring up the main menu with various options(see who's online, chat with friends, etc.). I'd love to see some mock-ups that show the sort of content you'd like to see used on the controller screen(not just Mario Galaxy).

Steaming and 3DS/DS playback!

Agent X

tarius1210 said:
Lair was the only game that worked via the PS3 Remote Play app (I think it was a mistake by the programmers).

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswJEYDm_cg

It's a cool concept but it was executed poorly on the part of Sony. It seems Nintendo figured out how to do it right.

Today, LocationFree/Remote Play feature of the PS3 only works with PSone games. For more info on it check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

Lair was the first (and for a long time, the only) disc-based game to support Remote Play, but several other games (mostly downloadable games) work with it as well. Several of the PixelJunk games support the feature, as well as Bionic Commando Rearmed and most of the PopCap games like Bejeweled 2 and Peggle. The Wikipedia link that you provided has a list of games that work with Remote Play.

Poyunch

J-Rock said:
I like the idea of it being an interface device rather than a controller. During games it would feature map/inventory. If you want you could go to through the system's OS while still in-game on the TV. Video chat would also be possible and stuff. But all rumors point to this not being anything like that.

My sense about this decision

Nintendo has jumped onto the Farmville Bandwagon...

The touchscreen will allow people to walk around with the controller in the household or in their room, and "collaborate" for the "social" games Nintendo creates for the platform

I would imagine Animal Crossing would be a launch title

I think Nintendo will introduce games that will be more like iPhone games, etc. with streaming the game content to the controllers directly...

Would be curious how Nintendo creates more social games for this

Also, just can't see Nintendo totally abandoning motion controls for their new social angle unless they intend to keep selling the Wii and target this console to another audience

In that case, they are prolly thinking the motion controls have become a sustaining innovation, and are trying to disrupt the iPhone/iPad market by creating a 400-500 dollar system that everyone in the household can use (as opposed to buying multiple iPads)

Can you guys imagine a photo exchange game? or a trip-planning game? or a food-making game that you play with other people in the same room but each person interacts differently?

I can see tons of older people buying this if it comes with two controllers, and each controller can browse the web, and do many of the same functions as an iPad

in that case I predict Nintendo will have a camera on the controllers as well for video chat

Zeal

Banned
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
My sense about this decision

Nintendo has jumped onto the Farmville Bandwagon...

The touchscreen will allow people to walk around with the controller in the household or in their room, and "collaborate" for the "social" games Nintendo creates for the platform

I would imagine Animal Crossing would be a launch title

I think Nintendo will introduce games that will be more like iPhone games, etc. with streaming the game content to the controllers directly...

Would be curious how Nintendo creates more social games for this

Also, just can't see Nintendo totally abandoning motion controls for their new social angle unless they intend to keep selling the Wii and target this console to another audience
well, this completely goes against every rumor nintendo has for their next console, but ok.

Zeliard

J-Rock said:

If you get a stylus with it, seems likely one of the basic things we'll see in games will be stuff like drawing maps or writing custom notes like in Phantom Hourglass.

I guess we will find out - but this is the only thing that makes sense to me - I imagine Nintendo believes motion controls are now overperforming the market and are a sustaining innovation... There isn't room for Nintendo to do anything uniquely different from MSFT or Sony without plunging deep into an expensive motion-controlling system

Nintendo has given up on the N64 high-end graphics model so I doubt they will be going back to that

But the iPhone market is something Nintendo can tap and turn into social game buyers and bring then beyond the 10-20 dollar per month consumers into full fledged as-a-form-of-entertainment video game consumers

What better way than using a touch screen which is their normal point of entry, but now combine this with an actual controller, persistent online connectivity, and Nintendo characters and game design?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
J-Rock said:
It can do all of the above; the screen doesn't have a big processor or hardware stuff inside, it just streams and plays the things the console sends to it, and it sends the data of the touch screen and controller inputs.

I'm expecting that it will be possible to use it without the console, to play small mini games, use it as an e-reader and to use it in demo stations in stores (it may have some internal memory or memory card, so it could store shit when you carry with you). It may also be used as a pedometer or stuff like that, which doesn't require a whole lot of power.

Indyana

JasonMCG said:
It's all in fun, no worries. Looks good though. I had this thought that maybe the tablet portion is completely separate and slides into a harness or something that would connect a Wii-remote and nunchuck on either side.
Thanks. That could work too. I like the slider because you can't lose it, but your idea seems more robust.
JasonMCG said:
FPS work better with the Wii remote, sure, but action and adventure games work better with a dual analog if you ask me. It's a matter of preference, not account of people being "stuck in the past".
The weird thing about camera control in those games is that it's usually mapped to the d-pad. It would be much easier, comfortable and useful to use the d-pad as a trigger to move the camera with the pointer or the motion controls.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Thinking about it now this system is going to be expensive as hell.

At least the box will contain:

1 Touchscreen Controller
1 Wii Remote
1 Nunchuck
1 Console

Also again this console WILL have both methods of control. Especially since it will likely be backwards comparable with Wii.
I agree with you and other gaffers, the Wiimote needs to be in the box.

I have no idea about ergonomics and design so if someone wants to tweak the mock-up, please do it! Built from JasonMCG mock-up.
YWwjn.jpg
t5gn0o.jpg

Not in the picture:
- There are two handles in the tablet. The right one slides out so you can attach the Wiimote 2 like the original in the Wii Wheel.
- Heart rate monitor in the left handle and the Wiimote 2 handle.
- B button (and R button) in the back of the Wiimote2.
- Z button (and C/L button) in the back of the left handle of the tablet.

Control setup:
- Wiimote 2
- Tablet
- Tablet + Wiimote 2
- Wiimote 2 + Wiimote 2

If controllers are backwards compatible:
- Wiimote 2 + Nunchuk
- Classic Controller

Additional notes:
- Three buttons layout so A can be big an B in the back.
- Buttons 1 and 2 removed because this Wiimote 2 would be shorter than the original.
- 16:10 screen with a status bar like someone suggested before.

PS: If a mock-up thread is created, please post the link here.

Vestal

Gold Member
JasonMCG said:
Here's a revision to my previous mock-up knowing that it'll probably be chewed up. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I swear, this is the last one. :p

sSHAM.jpg

I have to ask.. How is this supposed to work? Really? How much are these things supposed to cost?? Will the rendering occur on the Device or in the console.. I assume the console, so if you are using multiple of these then the performance of the console will take a pretty big hit.. If you render it on the controller then each controller will be over 100 a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom