• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii. Australia: DEC 7th; SRP$399.95

Other

The price difference between us and the USA isn't that bad when you factor in that their price won't include sales tax and ours will. We're still paying more afterwards but not as large an amount as it seems. We've been ripped off way worse before and this isn't so bad. It's still disapointing but it's really the prices of the games we should be more worried about.

Lol The PSP is only $100 less than the Wii. Considering Wii games are going to be priced at 70-100 dollars at launch we aren't getting ripped at all. We are paying like..330 for the Wii and 70 for the game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Wollan said:
327,54 US dollars.

RIP OFF.

399 including tax.

what is 250 USD when you add tax on top?

Aus/nz always gets reamed somwhere between vigourously and gently for living so far away as well.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
pilonv1 said:
Yeah I'm expecting AUS$60 for the Wiimote and AUS$40 for the Nunchuck. Maybe $50 and $30 if we're lucky. But anyway $399 for what's on offer isn't much of a deal. I'll wait for it to bomb like Nintendo consoles do here and pick it up cheap :D
Id import but i can just tell that if i did, all of a sudden companies would region lock their shit and id be stuck with a lemon.

Whats the Euro price in AUD?

pilonv1 said:
Yeah I'm expecting AUS$60 for the Wiimote and AUS$40 for the Nunchuck. Maybe $50 and $30 if we're lucky. But anyway $399 for what's on offer isn't much of a deal. I'll wait for it to bomb like Nintendo consoles do here and pick it up cheap :D

Lol you better hope it bombs. The DS has come and sweeped the floor with PSPs in Australia too. There is new trust in Nintendo in Australia.

pilonv1

HisBrother said:
Lol you better hope it bombs. The DS has come and sweeped the floor with PSPs in Australia too. There is new trust in Nintendo in Australia.

Yes consumer faith in Nintendo HOME CONSOLES is great here considering how well the Gamecube went.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Heres hoping they do what they did with the cube launch here where they had a price drop a few days before it came out.

I paid $329 for the cube at launch and i dont want to pay more for this. I dont want wii sports either.

jax (old)

Banned
I don't recall seeing gamecube games at EB anymore. Maybe its cause I wasn't looking (because there's NO games coming out for it) or because the only stuff left are kiddy nikolodean rubbish.

I think Wii will crash and burn down under. I'm going to wait and pick it up cheap.

* on the price drop, they'd have to do it if MS does XMAS pricing (or pricedrops to counter N+S in one go).

«þ»

RIP OFF!

Was expecting $349 at most.

DS = USD 149 = AUD 199
DS lite = USD 129 = AUD 199
Wii = USD 249 = AUD 399

$100 less than Core 360 won't attract too many new buyers. Premium console here is down to around $550 too in some places.

I LUST FOR EXCITE TRUCK TO BE CONFIRMED FOR AUSSIE LAUNCH :(
Also this is a lot better than the GC's seven month launch delay from America to Australia.

Kabouter

bigliks said:
25,000 Japanese Yen is currently ~ $282 AUD
250.00 U.S Dollars is currently ~ $332 AUD

I guess the extra $68 AUD buys you an extra 275 days of warranty.. !

Now to wait till the 249 euro announcements, which probably comes down to some 500 AUD :lol

«þ» said:
RIP OFF!

Was expecting $349 at most.

DS = USD 149 = AUD 199
DS lite = USD 129 = AUD 199
Wii = USD 249 = AUD 399

$100 less than Core 360 won't attract too many new buyers. Premium console here is down to around $550 too in some places.

DS never came with a free game..Did it? DS+ Mario Kart at launch= 249.

temjin

Banned
Hey Aussies, I preordered my Wii at Toy R Us and get a free game at launch because of that, now, I was kind of thinking they would just give us Wii Sports as that free game, but seeing as we get Wii Sports packaged in with the Wii, do we still get that free game? And, do we choose?

I'm still getting a Wii at launch. Super excited!

EctoPrime

It isnt that bad if Toys R us still doing that free game deal being that wii sports is not the free game. $299+$100 = decent

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
VC Pricing Next week as well as launch games

And guys just be thank ful we're getting this in 06

Banned
Let's keep this in perspective. This is still cheaper than the Australian PSP launch!!

Also, I wonder if Toys R Us will count Wii Sports as a free game? That'd be low.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Jax said:
Wii should be an upgrade to GC at least. But the games they shown have consistently NOT been better. On par maybe... better? No.
uhh... you cwazy.

seanoff

Way too much. I'm not paying close to $200 for slightly warmed over graphics and a novelty controller.

I can't see the value over a slim PS2 for $188 and a metric boatload of games. And it really is too close to a premium 360. I'll pay the extra for access to live, much more (non gaming) functionality and far far superior graphic and probably AI abilities.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Scrow said:
no!

the date is great news but the price just shits all over that good work :p

Dont worry you know your going to buy it

<brag> I had the news up first :D </brag>

jax (old)

Banned
depends on region lock or not. I think I'm waiting for a price cut before I get a wii. Australia nintendo game sales/availability @ retail = SHIT POOR. Would be great if the aussie version could play other regions. That'd make things better. That + warranty might salvage the australian launch for me.

linsivvi

When you look at electronic goods at Australia, most of them are ridiculously more expensive than other territories except Europe. Could it be some kind of import Tax imposed by the Aussie government?

U.S. pricing... $250 + (250 * 0.08) = $270 actual price (or did tax get higher?)

If people are saying it's a total ripoff even though the Aussie price already includes taxes and a longer warranty, I don't see why everyone is bitching.

Jax said:
depends on region lock or not. I think I'm waiting for a price cut before I get a wii. Australia nintendo game sales/availability @ retail = SHIT POOR. Would be great if the aussie version could play other regions. That'd make things better. That + warranty might salvage the australian launch for me.

I live in Australia and imported a US NTSC GCN and would LOVE to know if the Aussie Wii can play US games. That would be GREAT! I really want to be able to play my GCN games on Wii and would rather not import the console itself again but I wouldn't mind importing select 1st party games that I simply couldn't wait for.

BTW where has Nintendo stated that their games are region free? I haven't seen any official statement on it anywhere besides the forums.

Choabac

clearacell said:
U.S. pricing... $250 + (250 * 0.08) = $270 actual price (or did tax get higher?)

If people are saying it's a total ripoff even though the Aussie price already includes taxes and a longer warranty, I don't see why everyone is bitching.

So US $270 is AUD $360, which doesn’t seem so bad, particularly if you take account of the warranty as you already pointed out.

But it really does start to hurt when it comes to the games. Games are 50 + (50 x 0.08) = US $54 -> AUD $72, but games actually retail for AUD $100, unless they’re US $60 ($64.8 with tax) then they cost AUD $120. Good times, good times.

No.1

I really don't mind the price of the console, since it's understandable due to the warranty, our taxes and wages rates, and the import tax itself. However, if the software is being sold for anymore than $90 then that's a real shot in the foot.

I may be drunk right now but WHAT 399??? I will import or try and get the toys'r'us deal since that would bring it back to more in line with what I was expecting (350).
My brother got an sms from nintendo of aus which was rather cool but everyone we were with was fairly underwhelmed by that price, I was hoping it meant 2 wiimotes or somecrap though.

What's with the dramatics? $400AUD pricing is only a mere $20 more than Apple's pricing conversion (8GB iPod nano $249USD/$380AUD), so how could anyone deduce that Australia's price could be at the $350AUD level?
Anyway, this is usual videogame pricing, if not spectacular.

On another note, it's great to see that it'll be launching this year, and with a fair price.

Banned
Don't forget our GST in Australia. What is it, 10%? So about $360 retail ends up about $396.

Blame the GST, not Nintendo.

effzee

so with the wii launching in the US, Japan, Europe, and Australia this yr... 4 million units seems a lil low. i guess im going to go pre order this.

clearacell said:

Although it is pretty much ballpark for US estimates at least, there isn't a flat rate for sales taxes in the US. The States set them up depending on how they vote. But yeah, taxes are anywhere from 6% to 8%. And some states have no sales tax.

Top Bottom