• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

LowParry

Anyone know if Castlevania Judgement runs on it? And nice TvsC pics. The latest build said that it runs but not sure how well it runs. Have a friend who imported. I'll have to see if I can get it from him later.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jett said:
Hello McFly? UltraHLE for the N64 came out in January 1999, and ran games flawlessly. :p

Seriously? I think I tried that a few years ago (like in 06) and both OoT and MM ran like ass.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I wonder if this runs MadWorld well enough to play. I bought it awhile ago but can't play because my Wii is broke at the moment.

Tain

N64 emulation is stupidly infantile given how long it's been around. It's time for a lower-level higher-compatibility solution. Unfortunately, we're stuck having trouble running fuggin' Bangai-o.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I absolutely love the prospect of Wii emulation, but it'll be a while before it matures to anything near perfection. Those youtube vids show it's at least playable though.

My Q6600/9800gtx might not cut it this time though. :S

big_z

does anyone run their wii through a receiver that does 1080p upscaling? if so how does it look and can you take comparison pics? i've read some of sonys do a pretty good job and i will be picking up a niew receiver this summer.

right now i have my wii on a 42" hdtv and it looks ass.... it's like playing a n64 on a crt. it's got the same blurry and jagged look.

webrunner

On a system which has various resolutions (which is basically all of them.. even the SNES had more than one resolution mode- the menus of Seiken Densetsu 3 were high resolution and don't work in emulators if your res is set low), a game basically asks to set a specific resolution once.. everything after that is done using world coordinates, not screen coordinates. What emulators like this do is basically ignore the request for a resolution and use their own.

it is possible to have BC do that as well.. for example: many xbox 1 games on 360 are actually rendered high res, not upscaled.. close scruity to framebuffer shots proved that way back when the 360 came out.

jett

D-Member
Oblivion said:
Seriously? I think I tried that a few years ago (like in 06) and both OoT and MM ran like ass.

Your PC must be like insanely crappy. I ran OoT back in 1999 on a Pentium II. :p

Ysiadmihi said:
I wonder if this runs MadWorld well enough to play. I bought it awhile ago but can't play because my Wii is broke at the moment.
I was under the impression that most of the games that they play for the emulator have to have gamecube controller support. Do you notice how most of the games are fighting games with classic control options? I don't think the emulator can properly do pointer or motion controls yet. There are more problems with Wii emulation than some of you think. So it'll be a long wait till games like MadWorld work properly.

eso76 said:
no, when it's 3d graphics it's actually possible for an emulator to render internally at an higher res. point is, rendering wii games in 720p won't make them look a lot better, in most cases it will make their lacking in geometry and resolution of textures more apparent.
Better off playing the thing on a good CRT.

Utter horsecrap. Its incredible the difference some decent image quality can make. I'd take Wii level complexity at 1080p with 4xAA/8xAF over the sub 720p, bilinear filtered, no AA, shader heavy games that are all too common on the PS3/360 any day.

brain_stew said:
Utter horsecrap. Its incredible the difference some decent image quality can make. I'd take Wii level complexity at 1080p with 4xAA/8xAF over the sub 720p, bilinear filtered, no AA, shader heavy games that are all too common on the PS3/360 any day.
you forgot 60fps

webrunner said:
On a system which has various resolutions (which is basically all of them.. even the SNES had more than one resolution mode- the menus of Seiken Densetsu 3 were high resolution and don't work in emulators if your res is set low), a game basically asks to set a specific resolution once.. everything after that is done using world coordinates, not screen coordinates. What emulators like this do is basically ignore the request for a resolution and use their own.

it is possible to have BC do that as well.. for example: many xbox 1 games on 360 are actually rendered high res, not upscaled.. close scruity to framebuffer shots proved that way back when the 360 came out.

That untrue. The 360 still renders Xbox games at 640x480, but with 4xAA in order to fit into eDRAM. 720p with no AA would have been an option but for whatever reason Microsoft decided to take the former solution, it stll achieves a decent result though.

Durante

brain_stew said:
This man speaks the truth.

_dementia said:
you forgot 60fps

Indeed. Heck I was playing Halo 2 PC the other day, the PC version sorts out the LOD/pop in issues it had and that coupled with 1080/60hz and 4XAA/AF makes it trully stunning. I honestly prefer the look to Halo 3, which has some atrocious IQ. Still really holding out for a PC port of Halo 3, because, if the photo mode images are anything to go by, the game is going to be simply beautiful with some decent IQ behind it.

Oh and yes, I'm a IQ whore.

Just watch that Tatsunoko 720p video people, that game is bloody gorgeous, the complexity of it is just fine. Its only the IQ of the Wii that lets it down in its original state but that's not a problem with a decent emulator.

bee

Buttseckslol said:
I was under the impression that most of the games that they play for the emulator have to have gamecube controller support. Do you notice how most of the games are fighting games with classic control options? I don't think the emulator can properly do pointer or motion controls yet. There are more problems with Wii emulation than some of you think. So it'll be a long wait till games like MadWorld work properly.

this thread is just choc full of people who have no clue

25rclxu.jpg

Trojan X

Banned
eso76 said:
dreamcast or model 3 version ? (or is there a pc version i didn't know of?)

Dreamcast. Model 3 version doesn't exist yet and it appears that it won't be so until the end of this year with no guarantees.

Eteric Rice

FFCC: MLatK looks really nice in HD.

Again, I still wonder if Nintendo could do this with a hardware revision of the Wii. Does anyone know?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Xabora said:
:lol

Too bad you can't keybind mouse controls. >_<

Soo close to having mouse + keyboard metroid prime.

It's only just out of reach, but you're not alone in your cravings. There'll almost definitely be an update to support the mouse at some stage, given the schematic overlap of the Wii pointer controls. The demand will be there.

bee

Xabora said:
:lol

Too bad you can't keybind mouse controls. >_<

Soo close to having mouse + keyboard metroid prime.

you can :p it defaults to mouse aim and left/right mouse buttons

This is somewhat unrelated, but what does Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne look like in a PS2 emulator? My TV has a very good scaler, but -- for some reason, SMTN looks like SHIT on it. It's pretty much the ONLY game that looks like crap on my set.

whitehawk

Banned
Littleberu said:
How is it perfect if he had issues?
Sure its not perfect, but goddam, it 99.9% there. Every game I have played runs above the average framerate at 720p, and everything is displayed properly.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wow, some people are very ignorant about other forms of gaming, emulators specifically.

This one took the cake:
stuburns said:
But that's altering the game. Does it alter the native resolution without altering the game? I don't see how that works because the game itself has a native resolution, it's not like a PC game where you can alter it. Console games don't usually give you the option. If the resolution was fixed at the console level I'd understand, but it's not.

It all makes sense.
smh

Mar

jett said:
Your PC must be like insanely crappy. I ran OoT back in 1999 on a Pentium II. :p

I find this hard to believe. I tried UltraHLE at some point in the N64s era (soon after release or a year after, can't remember) on multiple top gaming rigs (at Quake LANs etc), and it ran so terribly that it wasn't even worth trying to play the game.

As far as I remember. UltraHLE was a tech demo more than anything. Everyone thought it was cool that it was doing it. But you couldn't actually play anything on it with any degree of enjoyment.

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:

You got that right. This thread inspired me to check out the N64 emulator (Hadn't checked it out since I had a Radeon 9800 and it didn't play nice with the plugins.) Waverace, 1080, and Pilotwings in HD, 8xAA, 16xAF, 60FPS brings a tear to my eyes. I'm not exaggering to say that on my big screen HD, I prefer the look of those games to Wii games (Now my bias for those games makes me unable to judge them fairly, but still.) 60fps and tons of image quality was what this generation needed. Not the crap we got. Wii compexity with high res, 60 fps, and tons of image quality would have been perfect.

bee said:
this thread is just choc full of people who have no clue
Still seems odd that I've yet to see a game that uses pointer functionality or motion controls pop up on any of these youtube videos. That still doesn't make using the wiimote with the emulator very easy which is why I recall only seeing gamecube controller supported games a few months back. I guess with all the sensor bar and blue tooth dongle bs most people just use a standard controller instead most of the time.

Edit: Nvm, the guy just posted REUC.

Eteric Rice

Buttseckslol said:
Still seems odd that I've yet to see a game that uses pointer functionality or motion controls pop up on any of these youtube videos.

Someone posted a picture of Galaxy running on it earlier. *shrugs*

ofu7mt.jpg

jett

D-Member
Mar_ said:
I find this hard to believe. I tried UltraHLE at some point in the N64s era (soon after release or a year after, can't remember) on multiple top gaming rigs (at Quake LANs etc), and it ran so terribly that it wasn't even worth trying to play the game.

As far as I remember. UltraHLE was a tech demo more than anything. Everyone thought it was cool that it was doing it. But you couldn't actually play anything on it with any degree of enjoyment.

Hell yeah you could. Sorry if you don't believe. When it came out you needed a voodoo card though to run it well though. Afterwards wrappers for other video cards came out.

Eteric Rice

Wow, it doesn't look bad at all.

Hell, I'd even go as far to say that the non-super detailed textures actually work really well in this game.

Eteric Rice said:
Wow, it doesn't look bad at all.

Hell, I'd even go as far to say that the non-super detailed textures actually work really well in this game.

Its quite amazing the amount of effects RARE managed to pull off in the game as well, but ofcourse on the original hadware that resulted in framerates that were damn near unplayable. Ofcourse, now that you can play the game at a constant 60fps, it looks damn nice.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jett said:

I dunno, I don't have a fantastic one by any means, but it's a 1.8 ghz, with 1 gig of RAM. I would think that would be enough to run games on a system that only require 4 MB of RAM. :p

In any case, since we're on the subject, what's supposed to be the most stable and/or best N64 emulator nowadays? (I'm assuming it's kosher to ask?)

GaussTek

Oblivion said:
I dunno, I don't have a fantastic one by any means, but it's a 1.8 ghz, with 1 gig of RAM. I would think that would be enough to run games on a system that only require 4 MB of RAM. :p

In any case, since we're on the subject, what's supposed to be the most stable and/or best N64 emulator nowadays? (I'm assuming it's kosher to ask?)

Project64 1.6 it's the best and most stable right now. Almost every game has a glitch or something (and most of them are problems with framebuffer effects), but those are completly playable and you don't need really high specs (AFAIK, it runs well on a notebook with Atom at 1.6 GHz with default graphics plugin from Jabo).

But, also, there's hope: 1.7 has been in development for a while, and i think it's on Alpha testing right now. The most notable improvement is that implements LLE (or I think they are aiming for it).

Xabora

bee said:
you can :p it defaults to mouse aim and left/right mouse buttons
*spoooooooooooooooooooooooge*

Only problem is waiting for decent support for the MP effects, shaders and sound. :(
FB effect for the charge blast in MP2 is all fubared.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
webrunner said:
everything after that is done using world coordinates, not screen coordinates.
That's only theory - in real-world, games(even in current generation) do a whole lot of creative stuff in direct screen/render-target/texture coordinates, which is the reason why most of these resolution hacks are game-specific, or not really accurate at all.

Eteric Rice

Fafalada said:
That's only theory - in real-world, games(even in current generation) do a whole lot of creative stuff in direct screen/render-target/texture coordinates, which is the reason why most of these resolution hacks are game-specific, or not really accurate at all.

Could Nintendo do a revision of the Wii hardware that would give the same effects of the above emulator? If so, what kind of upgrade do you think it would require (hardware wise on the Wii) to get games to look like that?

Xabora

Eteric Rice said:
Could Nintendo do a revision of the Wii hardware that would give the same effects of the above emulator? If so, what kind of upgrade do you think it would require (hardware wise on the Wii) to get games to look like that?
A driver level wrapper with a cpu/gpu powerful enough to handle it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
webrunner said:
One note: The N64 games on virtual console are rendered at a higher resolution then on the n64, they're the only games on VC that do that.

That's mainly because rendering sprites at higher resolutions is impossible, right? They can only be upscaled?

Top Bottom