• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Trogdor1123

Is there a mention of how much flash memory there is? Odd that there is no internet though. YOu would think the VC was a gravey train.

I really want to know who these people are that really, seriously don't know or are legitimately confused that the Wii U is a new console and not an addition to the old Wii.

Given that it looks different, has a different name, uses different games, is priced different, has a different controller, a different marketing scheme and does different stuff, the legend of these confused consumers is just crazy to me. Even if you were the dumbest end user or the most oblivious of soccer moms just looking to buy "the new Wii from the TV" or "the new Nintendo", there's no way you could conclude anything but Wii U to me.

...anyway, this mini Wii is pretty decent at $99, though no online seems pretty lulzy (it's gotta cost less than nothing to throw that wireless G antenna in there). Bundle it with Skyward Sword, Brawl or the Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort double pack!

BriBri

Sexiest console since my lil GB Micro. If only I could have this as my Virtual Console machine. Still may buy for the aesthetics and nunchuk/wiimote +.

Mista Koo

Nintendo's inspiration?

dNTw8.jpg
A better joke would include Reggie's Pizza Hut career.
Stolen from Twitter.

I'd get one of the bottom right, but only because it looks like a game&watch. I'm really conflicted on the design. It's definitely a completely new turn, but I wish they'd made the edges look a little less like a lunchbox
Game & Watch forever!
I was going for the Famicom look. The only G&W I had was DK Jr. and I don't think it had these colors.

BriBri

I really want to know who these people are that really, seriously don't know or are legitimately confused that the Wii U is a new console and not an addition to the old Wii.

Given that it looks different, has a different name, uses different games, is priced different, has a different controller, a different marketing scheme and does different stuff, the legend of these confused consumers is just crazy to me. Even if you were the dumbest end user or the most oblivious of soccer moms just looking to buy "the new Wii from the TV" or "the new Nintendo", there's no way you could conclude anything but Wii U to me
I here you, but the average consumer is not you (or me, or most people reading this site). It's not helped by 3DS titles being thrown in with DS titles on the DS shelf in my local supermarket (there's no 3DS promotional banners) and I fully expect Wii U and Wii to share the same shelf space.

WillyFive

Almost every single one who isn't in the gaming news sphere, and a lot of them who actually are.

Given that it looks different,

It doesn't.

has a different name,

It doesn't.

uses different games,

It doesn't (people confuse Just Dance 4 Wii U for Just Dance 4 for Wii on the shelf all the time)

is priced different,

With the above, they have no reason to know that it is priced different until they see the nasty news on the cash register.

has a different controller,

Which they think it's for the Wii.

a different marketing scheme

It has a marketing scheme similar to every single marketing scheme for the Wii.

and does different stuff

It does what they expect it to do, be a Wii with a tablet controller.

Thinking Wii U is a Wii is not some fringe belief, it's the first thing that comes to mind when you see it.

Is there a mention of how much flash memory there is? Odd that there is no internet though. YOu would think the VC was a gravey train.

They're probably thinking long term with this one, for smaller markets and parents with small kids. Reducing all extraneous components, no powered eject, legacy support they won't profit from with GC, etc..

The Wii U & Wii shops are different, this allows them to shut down the Wii shop eventually, which at a certain point will probably cost more to maintain than it brings in.

jediyoshi

Given that it looks different, has a different name, uses different games, is priced different, has a different controller, a different marketing scheme and does different stuff

Barely any of these things holds up to someone who isn't informed. The "Wii" is the only relevant part of the name that most people care to look at. Everything else would just follow from there, the controller could just look like one of the numerous myriad of other controller peripherals that came out for the original Wii (I'd hazard to guess that any random person you talk to in a store wouldn't be able to differentiate the purpose and ability of the Wii U Pro pad to the Wii Classic Controller), the boxes don't look drastically different, especially considering there were Wii games with non-white boxes, the advertising still has people swinging wii remotes they're familiar with with their old system. It's really not a huge stretch.

No lie, almost every single person I've spoken to IRL about it. Even some people who are pretty savvy with this stuff but not into Nintendo enough to know already. They haven't messaged it well at all yet. The branding is all too similar, which was no doubt intentional to a degree, they wanted to leverage the Wii brand, but they may not have differentiated enough yet.

Kurod

Banned
I rather like the look of the system but lack of wifi and backwards compatibility with Gamecube games is horribad.

fart town usa

Gold Member
A gimped system (this model) that the majority of people already own. You could probably get a used full model wii for a cheaper price.

Awesome design but quite possibly the most pointless console relaunch in history.

Bgamer90

Banned

A decent number of stories have been coming from Gamestop employees lately about confusion...

Given that it looks different,

The system itself? Not really... it's basically a fat wii in terms of looks.

has a different name,

That's similar to numerous add-ons for the original wii...

uses different games, is priced different, has a different controller,

People who think it's just a tablet would (obviously) believe those three things when comparing it to the (old) Wii console.

a different marketing scheme and does different stuff, the legend of these confused consumers is just crazy to me.

The marketing scheme isn't really that unique/different at all. It follows the same look as the (original) Wii branding. It does different things but how much of it outside of the tablet controller is known by the average consumer?

Even if you were the dumbest end user or the most oblivious of soccer moms just looking to buy "the new Wii from the TV" or "the new Nintendo", there's no way you could conclude anything but Wii U to me.

Heh, if you don't get why people who don't follow up on gaming news may get confused and/or feel like the people getting confused are completely stupid then I don't know what to say to you. It shows a lack of understanding of how normal everyday people that don't follow up on video games are.

Tim-E

I love how people here think that a lack of Gamecube support is something that matters to the audience this thing is directed toward. lol

No internet...? Meh.

No GC Support?

Fuck that.
Well when they revised the Wii originally didn't they already cut Gamecube support? IMO, that is a big feature for me still since I do have a bunch of GC games that I like playing on a regular basis.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind picking one up just for novelty sake... its so weird, as far as design, decision to release the model now, colors... everything kind of just doesn't make sense on Nintendo's part, especially considering they just released the WiiU.

seady

I like the design, but no internet? What age are we in?

That kills all the software update that it might need, all Wii Shop access, all digital games, all online games.

MarkusRJR

Oh god that looks so good. The red makes it look kinda cheap but that blue is so good. I'm for sure picking one up but I'm honestly considering waiting for better colours, but I doubt they'll make more colours considering how niche this console will be.

Is Canada just a test market or something? I think it looks pretty cool actually, but lack of internet connection? Why would anyone want this over the current $99.00 Wii model?

This thing is like the PSP GO of the Wii family.

EBCubs03

Banned
This thing should be $5

Not that I would ever buy it anyway. I'm not a fucking idiot. Nintendo must think canadians are though

soultron

Banned
What Nintendo is saying is that Canadians are the only ones who can handle so much choice this holiday season. They have the smarts to distinguish between SKUs.

Thanks Nintendo. We are the smartest people on the planet so it's nice to have some recognition.

The_Lump

Banned
Guess they had to do something with all those leftover Hollywood chips......(wait for it)........seeing as they used a load of spare Broadway's in the WiiU. BOOM BOOM!

I'll be here all week.

----------

Quality comedy aside, I'm secretly in love with this console. Seriously want that red Nunchuck :(

I like the design, but no internet? What age are we in?

That kills all the software update that it might need, all Wii Shop access, all digital games, all online games.
I would hazard to guess most Wii's on the market are solely updated by people buying new games and the new games eventually updating the Wii once every 2 years. That same crowd probably has never even considered the online aspect of the Wii either. To them it plays Mario, Goldeneye, WiiSports and crummy mini-game collections.

And I think the design is atrocious in that it doesn't even fit the aesthetic of the Wii's previous hardware revisions... it looks like a knock off at this point.

Tim-E

2000: Why are they releasing a smaller PlayStation at the end of its life when they just released the PlayStation 2?

2005: Why are they releasing a smaller Game Boy Advance at the end of its life when they just released the DS?

This is just something that happens; console manufacturers trying to get every last penny from their old hardware before they take it out back. It's nothing new. The people buying consoles this late in their life do not care about connecting their Wiis to the internet. New versions of old hardware never confused enough people to cause new hardware to become total failures in these instances. They are businesses, and as long as people are still buying the old hardware, it makes sense to keep selling it because ultimately their goal is to make money.

People seem to think this is targeted at GAF. It's not. People really think the casual public gives a shit about Gamecube and Virtual Console support?

Row

Banned
a lot of kids are going to get trolled on christmas, given the small packaging

Timmy: oh boy oh boy oh boy a mini iPa-*opens*...wii

Top Bottom