• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Did the wifi adapter really add that much to the cost? Overall though I like the look but I just don't see the need for this when they've just launched the WiiU.

MONEY. They've done this twice before with their home consoles. They've done this lots of times with their handheld consoles.

It's that expensive Wii U costing them money. This is one way to recoup the costs.

Or theres, you know, that entire Online Store with indie gems and a whole comprehensive catalogue of retro games? You don't have to defend everything and bring some rationale to why its "okay". Its cheaping out, its stupid, and any informed buyer should go for a second hand/refurbished or other standard Wii on offer.

Purchases being tied to the system and not an account made me totally ignore the online store for the Wii's life.

Good pickup lol.

No one where I live is confused when they see the price difference between the systems..

And the fact that the two systems are generally kept in different sections of the electronics department or in GameStop should also deter confusion. One would hope.

Mindwipe

On some level I like the retro look, but it's completely wrong for the target audience of this thing.

And no internet connectivity? Mind. Boggles. Given the price as well.

EDIT: Also, buy ten of these things when they hit clearance and watch them skyrocket. Better than Apple stock.

Boerseun

Banned
NO INTERNET = NO SALE

Black Ops Wii, Goldeneye Wii and Conduit 2 are all fantastic on-line. And then you havn't even gotten to Nintendo's own games, like Mario Kart.

Also, does this mean it will not come with any USB ports?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
People are already confused and they put out a box that has a Wii with a big red U on it?

large

Nintendo deceiving people since 2012
I'm kidding chill
, Wii "U" Sales up 1000% :lol

HAHAHA

kswiston

Good pickup lol.

No one where I live is confused when they see the price difference between the systems..

I doubt most people are confused in the first place. Apple sells Ipad 4, Ipad 2, Ipad mini, various iPod Touches, and various iPod nanos, and customers seem to be perfect capable of selecting the one they want. Same with Samsung and its legion of Galaxy phones and tablets.

As you said

$299-350 = Brand new console with the fancy tablet controller
$99-150 = Old Wii that half of their friends have in their dens or family rooms.

Not exactly difficult.

Brofield

If it's compatible with the LAN adapter, that'd be cool, I guess.

Still...meh, got my OG Wii that can play GC (currently with StarFox Adventures inside <3), so I'm not too concerned. Though I know a friend of mine won't be happy, as she was hoping for a cheap Netflix box.

On some level I like the retro look, but it's completely wrong for the target audience of this thing.

And no internet connectivity? Mind. Boggles. Given the price as well.

Wait, what would be the "right" look for the target audience of parents looking to buy a games console for their children without spending a lot of money? They want it to be bright and compact so as to attract the attention of impulse Christmas shoppers.

I don't think a lot of you have ever baby-sat suburban kids and made psychological notes on their parents. There is really nothing mind-boggling about this system given the intended demographic.

NO INTERNET = NO SALE

Black Ops Wii, Goldeneye Wii and Conduit 2 are all fantastic on-line. And then you havn't even gotten to Nintendo's own games, like Mario Kart.

Also, does this mean it will not come with any USB ports?

Do you have children or already own a Wii? If the former is "no" and the latter is "yes," then this system isn't intended for you. And you're missing the point around "no online" - this is for parents who A) don't want their children to play online because they are either scared of online bullying or the child is too young; and B) don't plan to pick up T- or M-rated games like the ones you listed. They might pick up NSMBWii or Mario Kart, but they'll play them offline with their kids.

Davey Cakes

It's made for kids, not GAF.
I understand that but...I don't really understand cutting out features.

The original 2006 Wii was already really kid-friendly. The newer models without GC support are even more so (because of no confusion over GC functionality).

It just seems sort of pointless. Wiis are still selling really well considering the state of the console. Why put out another model that strips even more features? There is literally no market for this other than 5-year-olds who don't know how to use basic hardware.

For those who want it, great. It's certainly an interesting design. The tech is scaled down but I still don't see how the $100 is justified. Shouldn't this be, like, $75?

I understand that but...I don't really understand cutting out features.

The original 2006 Wii was already really kid-friendly. The newer models without GC support are even more so (because of no confusion over GC functionality).

It just seems sort of pointless. Wiis are still selling really well considering the state of the console. Why put out another model that strips even more features?

For those who want it, great. It's certainly an interesting design.
Cost cutting? Re-injecting the item into the news? Position the system for potentially other emerging markets (India, China) that has increased demands but are plagued with piracy issues?

Selling a console that has had about 6 notable releases in the last 2 1/2 year's specifically for its games? Not interested. If this however was an e-shop only machine I would be in there so fast it would make your head spin. Storing all those beautiful snes titles and nés titles on this sexy beast would be a God send.

The Wii has been out there for six years now. I don't think people who are
picking it up now would care about online (and especially BC).

Hint: If you care about online, they want you to buy a Wii U.

Mindwipe

Wait, what would be the "right" look for the target audience of parents looking to buy a games console for their children without spending a lot of money? They want it to be bright and compact so as to attract the attention of impulse Christmas shoppers.

I don't think a lot of you have ever baby-sat suburban kids and made psychological notes on their parents. There is really nothing mind-boggling about this system given the intended demographic.

Surely those people already have a Wii, and the audience is "people who don't game enough to have even bought the current Wii"?

Which probably means suburban housewives who don't want anything that stands out more than a cable box, but might have this for the odd party and Netflix.

I can sort of see that you're getting at some very kid friendly console and lack of internet connectivity there is a feature, not a bug, but I really question if that market exists.

beast786

Carrying a console in your book bag, I wonder how long that would last? These are not made to be portable machines to take the bumps.

It's nicely designed, but it looks like a newer console than the WiiU. If you showed me a picture of the WiiU and the Mini side by side with no other info, I would assume the mini was the next gen Wii. Good luck consumers.

zroid

Banned
It's nicely designed, but it looks like a newer console than the WiiU. If you showed me a picture of the WiiU and the Mini side by side with no other info, I would assume the mini was the next gen Wii. Good luck consumers.

The mini looks like it's from the 90s

I think that's why I like it

RM8

MAN, I swear I'd buy one even if I don't need it if it hadn't so many features removed. It's the best looking home console I've seen since PS2/GCN. Lovely.

Sora_N

Hmm Wii is on sale at Toys R Us in Canada this week for $129.99...why are they bothering to release this one? I'm tempted to buy one for collection's purpose lol.

Acrylic7

People are already confused and they put out a box that has a Wii with a big red U on it?

large

Now that you mention it, this will confuse quite a few people.

It happens a lot. I remember when customers were trying to purchase 3ds games for their kids who owned DS's. Sad, sad Christmas's everywhere.

This should of been the design of the U.

Just stick a Nintendo logo on the top and the color around the system acts as the ''U''.

So gorgeous, but alas no Nintendo U for anybody ;_;

This tidbit is also interesting

Damn, some Sony level shit.

PS. That's one ugly device. Having it not ugly colors would be better.

Also no internet?!? There goes youtube/netflix... then again, does Canada even have netflix?

EDIT: 100 bucks for that seems kinda steep too. No internet, or GC support and huge costs cut on materials.

Oh well, it's a business.

Weird choices all around for this one. If it was $20 less and had internet support (what a strange decision) then I could see it.

Madouu

*I couldn't find a regular Wii available in Canadian websites -- Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, don't know others. TRU actually has the NSMBWii bundle for 130.

Shoppers Drug Mart here in Montreal (Pharmaprix) has that same deal for $130.

Bah Nintendo probably knows what it's doing, I'm not going to attempt to comment on this until we have an idea on how much of these will be shipped. I like the design though, but then again, I'm a sucker for anything red.

RM8

I decided I'm getting one. I'm definitely getting one! It's beautiful and... homebrew. Yes. I need one. Why can't the WiiU looks this cool?

Septimius

I decided I'm getting one. I'm definitely getting one! It's beautiful and... homebrew. Yes. I need one. Why can't the WiiU looks this cool?

Are you sure it even has an SD-card slot? Or even more importantly, do you know you can homebrew it?

You could get a real Wii for $89 during BF, I don't see how this is a deal in any way, shape, or form.

The red motion plus controller/nunchuck combos in new/like-new condition regularly sell for what this console sells for.

Don't underestimate the fact that they choose red for the color scheme.

Alcibiades

It seems that this is being marketed at 2 audiences:

1) Hardcore and casual gamers/families that already own a Wii and want one for maybe the kids room, to use on the road, or maybe lend out or take to parties.

2) Extremely budget-conscious consumers that wouldn't generally care to jump in but do so due to the availability of such a low cost option - such as families still rocking out their PSOne or something (ex. my cousin who is now in 7th grade and has only had a GCN for a home console ever).

Given their target it makes sense to shave off every last penny from production which probably led to not having online. Generally, at $129 (w/ multiple bundles) anyone that wants a Wii probably already has one. This is for tail-end consumers that wouldn't already have one.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
While the thing looks nice, I really just do not understand why this is a thing that exists. It makes no sense to me.

donny2112

Wow. This is definitely a kid-exclusive console. No internet is to protect said kiddies from teh dangers.

Can't fathom how they think it's a good idea to get rid of internet connectivity when the Wii is "the Netflix box" in a lot of households, though. Hope they emphasize, emphasize, emphasize that this is only a second Wii for the kids to play games on while others watch Netflix on the main Wii.

Orca

I doubt most people are confused in the first place. Apple sells Ipad 4, Ipad 2, Ipad mini, various iPod Touches, and various iPod nanos, and customers seem to be perfect capable of selecting the one they want. Same with Samsung and its legion of Galaxy phones and tablets.

I don't know about Samsung, but I got to hear some 'average consumers' at Walmart the other day and they haven't got a clue what the new iPad is anymore. One guy wanted the HD iPad. Another wanted the iPad 2 with the Retina screen. When the Walmart worker told him there wasn't one, he seemed to be ok with it, but when that worker left he indignantly told his wife there 'sure as hell was, I saw it on TV'

There's really no 'selecting the one you want' in any case. Apple ruthlessly cuts down old lines when the new ones release. There's the current one, sometimes the last model, and that's it.

Top Bottom