• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

A 7 years old kid wont care if he can finally play those Just Dance games. This console is for that market
Fixed for the real world. If we're led to believe that Ubi has done gangbusters on the Just Dance series on the back of the Wii, then this is suddenly now the $100 machine that can play all the Just Dance games.

You guys have to remember with the PS2 being gone now officially, stores like Walmart don't have anything sub $100 for video game console. This is that console. This will catch the parent who're getting it for their kids.

No. They haven't heard about Mii Plaza, or Wii Shop, or Bit Trip Runner, or Netflix (LOLOL CANADA NETFLIX), they just want a system to play for NSMB (which, that press release states got a price drop) Just Dance, or something that they've played at a friends house.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Bandwidth caps in Kanada are like 40GB now so Nintendo is doing us a favour by not letting anyone Netflix tbh.

Eric C

Could internet connectivity options = LAN adaptor compatability?

It would be crazy to have no network functionality whatsoever -- games like Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl are utterly dependant on it for maximum fun
yeah, does it have usb ports? If it still has usb ports the "usb to ethernet adapter" would hopefully still work.

Maybe they just took out the built in wifi? I can't imagine NO Internet at all.

Is there any mention of an sd card slot anywhere?

Yeah, does it still have an sd card slot? What about the built in memory?

The side plastic frame should have been shiny

Quoting for new page

DON'T DO THIS! I SPENT AGES CHOSING WHICH COLOUR OF REVOLUTION I WANTED!
I WAS GOING TO GET A DIFFERENT COLOUR CONTROL SET UP.

BASTARDS! YOUR ALL BASTARDS.

*ahem*

I like the orange.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
14231232.jpg
41231231222.jpg

124212312312123123423.jpg
412321312.jpg

412312312312312312313.jpg
312312312.jpg

AND its connected to the internet through his smartphone.

JOKE'S ON YOU HAHA!! :p

That's pretty awesome.

If the wii-u only uses around 30watts is it not possible to power it via a rechargeable power pack?

enishi

Is this also without USB and SD card? If so, it may be the best practice against homebrew (and of course, pirate)...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm instantly reminded of the Gameboy Micro. Wii Mini released after Wii U, Gameboy Micro released after the DS. History always repeats itself.
So we can expect a niche fanbase of GAF that takes candy shots of the "best" Wii.

What "apps" does the Wii have?

Weather, News, Voting, Horoscopes... the list goes on (maybe). What do you mean you never used them?

kswiston

I see a lot of people suggesting that Nintendo should discontinue the Wii and DS due to customer confusion. This never happened in previous generations, so why should it be a big deal this generation?

Wiis are still $149 MSRP in Canada for the NSMB bundle. I guess a $99 Wii could be a decent cheap gift, especially on weeks when Walmart has them on sale for $79 or so. Also, retailers are going to want to start clearing out some of their Wii game stock, so I imagine that Future Shop and Best Buy will offer free games with the purchase of this system fairly often.

Mista Koo

Don't you just love how this looks more like a new console than Wii U does?
I'm not sure whether I like how it looks or not, but it's definitely brave and interesting.

Alternate colors fun time: (Fake edit: damn you MYE)

I see a lot of people suggesting that Nintendo should discontinue the Wii and DS due to customer confusion. This never happened in previous generations, so why should it be a big deal this generation?
It's a constant reminder that most of GAF are Armchair CEOs who don't understand the business, or how real world economics works.

Vanish

I dont get why ninetendo had to make a brand new revision to get it down to $99. I mean when the Wii launched back in 2006, it was already overpriced at $250 using old tech. Now 6 years later and it still hasnt hit $100 and they have to make a whole new model instead?! Wtf.

kswiston

There are unlimited plans and very large capped plans (300gb+). 40gb is not any sort of standard cap.

The availability of the better plans, like Teksavvy, largely depend on whether you live in a major metropolitan area. If you live in a smaller town or rural area of Ontario, you are typically stuck with Cogeco, Bell, or Rogers. Sometimes even worse (Local satellite, or "broadband" service).

Bgamer90

Banned

Who?

That is silly.

If anything, more people are saying that the (new) products should have less confusing names.

G17

Bandwidth caps in Kanada are like 40GB now so Nintendo is doing us a favour by not letting anyone Netflix tbh.

I have unlimited bandwidth. Ever since the CRTC forced the the primary ISP's to lease their lines, it's been much better. You can get 26 mbps unlimited bandwidth from a company like teksavvy for a good price.

I don't really see why the Wii Mini is needed honestly.

zeelman

Its a neat design. I wonder if it has an SD card slot? I'd get one as a dedicated Wii system and use my other Wii strictly for Gamecube games.

Does it have USB ports or the SD card port? I think the no Wi-Fi is for stoping homebrew, you need internet to get HBC right? (and cutting costs too =p).

And I like the desing.

-KRS-

I wonder if it's possible to do a system transfer from an old Wii to this new one. Not that I would do that. Just wondering. Or is that not something a user can do? I've never done a system transfer on any nintendo system but I know it's possible with the 3DS.

Drago

Don't you just love how this looks more like a new console than Wii U does?
I'm not sure whether I like how it looks or not, but it's definitely brave and interesting.

Alternate colors fun time: (Fake edit: damn you MYE)

The all black is gorgeous

The red/black looks really gross to me for whatever reason

kswiston

Who?

That is silly.

If anything, more people are saying that the (new) products should have less confusing names.

People in this thread talking about market confusion between the Wii U and this console redesign. People in the Nintendo Black Friday sales thread suggesting that the DS should be discontinued because it is outselling the 3DS and therefore eating into the 3DS' business. Not just one or two people per thread either.

I sort of remember the same sort of arguments aimed at the PS2 in 2007 when the PS3 was struggling. People were suggesting that Sony should shutter the PS2 in favour of more PS3 sales. Nevermind the PS3 was A) loosing a ton of money per console sold, and B) like 3 times as expensive as the PS2, which I believe was $149 at the time. Also, if Sony followed GAF logic at the time, they would have lost out on over 50 million profitable PS2 console sales (since Nov 2006) for what would have been minor PS3 gains at best.

It's been a long time since we have had a cheap console alternative for people with young kids, or people who can't afford $150-200 systems. Wii is finally reaching that market (outside of special sales like Black Friday). Canada doesn't have those $129 Just Dance and Wii Sports bundles as far as I know, so I guess it makes sense to test out the Wii Mini here where there will be a $50 price difference between it and the NSMB or Skylanders bundles. They really should have included a game though. Even if it was just Wii Sports which retails for $20 separately.

acksman

Maybe I missed it but how will they be able to patch games without internet. Do you get another disk or load a usb with the patch?

Top Bottom