• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Akkad

Banned
But as I've said before that didn't stop people from being able to download content onto the system, they just had to do it via usb.

This system should at least have an ethernet port.

Ideally imo Nintendo should of made this new system a replacement for the current wii with the same features, maybe just drop the GC support.

They couldn't even put an ethernet port in their next gen console, lol.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
No internet is really stupid - that's a huge amount of functionality gone, right there. Mario Kart Wii without online play? PFFFFFFT.

I guess there's still enough demand for people to play Wii Sports, NSMBWii and Just Dance...

"Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada during the holiday season. No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future."
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/ONIEEqvK1pbPyTbW2lWO6QnPUiqqvuuI

I also expect that this has no SD card.
Think about it.. a console that doesn't suffer the hacking problems Wii does, still allows the Wii software to sell and is so cheap that people who STILL haven't bought a Wii might jump in? I think it's a good move.

No_Style

Just wanted to chime in and say that I actually like the look of the little thing. It would have been really nice to have it at $79.99 or less though.

Empty

amazing design. i'd want one just because of that if it didn't lack the virtual console and gamecube stuff. i still kinda want one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can anybody explain to me why does Nintendo do this after they launched the Wii U?

Is Wii U not yet available in Canada?

Every $100 spend on Wii Mini is $100 spend less on Wii U - it makes ZERO sense to me.

It's aimed at enticing people who found $130 a little too rich to jump. $99 is a nice spontaneous purchase price point.

Without any net functionality, I'm guessing they also stripped out the SD card and USB slots, and probably totally stripped down the OS. No real need for the channel gui now, probably just loads from the disc directly with a GCN style "hidden" menu for settings or something

People in here are acting like kids are dumb shits with tech and won't figure out they got screwed.

But I've never been to Canada so maybe it's different there
PSP Street is evidently doing well, so I guess Europeans don't know better either.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like some kind of Fisher Price fake console. Why would anyone buy this? No GC or online? Can pick up a second hand or whatever standard Wii for buttons anyway? Crimany.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do many games get patched on the Wii?

I like the design and I've never owned a Wii but this seems like it should be cheaper.

Skyward Sword was "patched". Though that was more fixing your save file via a specially made channel made for that one job.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The Wii Mini reminds me somewhat of a multi-screen Game & Watch.

game-watch-black-jack-funcionando-_MLB-F-2983064733_082012.jpg

Alebrije

I live in Peru and believe me, most people who don't have internet probably won't bother or can't afford a video games console. (And I can't see them jumping over this since Latam is most likely PlayStation territory, not to mention the Wii U is out so someone who can afford a console and is interested in videogames will probably prefer that over this new Wii Mini)

I get your point but here in México are tons of people that can afford a consolé like PS3 but do not get it because the y do not have internet in their comunities, there are even big cities that do not have internet in some areas

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Wow, I stand corrected, but I still think the timing of this is really dumb. And being a Canada exclusive I'm not even sure why they bothered.

Does Canada hate the internet or something?
If you look at our government's encouragement of a duopoly and our shitty service and prices, you'd think they are. Netflix CEO called Canada a third world country when it came to internet...

My two cents:

a) Are you sure they even kept the USB ports?
b) This is a test run to eventually bring to the US

Tim-E

This thread is another example of how gamers on internet message boards think they are the only people who play video games and that no one has the insight on the industry quite like them. Boy, Nintendo sure is done for because they're releasing a product that doesn't have the features that us hardcore gamers want from a console that most of us probably bought in 2006.

In all honestly ive never played the Wii online. Of course this kills the Wiiware/Virtual Console opportunities, but it is a good deal if you want to just play local multiplayer or single player games.

Do many games get patched on the Wii?

I like the design and I've never owned a Wii but this seems like it should be cheaper.

The Wii didnt even enable patching games. Firmware existed but they stopped updating it.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I'm instantly reminded of the Gameboy Micro. Wii Mini released after Wii U, Gameboy Micro released after the DS. History always repeats itself.

I bet this redesign is for other markets that aren't PAL, USA, or Japan. I bet it's for some of the other, wider markets across the globe, the ones where the PS2 is still the best console on the market.

If it was designed with power consumption in mind, the lack of wi-fi makes total sense. EDIT: And perhaps there's anti-piracy stuff in there too.

muu

Didn't they release a similar Europe only model last year? What with all the selective localizations and such issues, seems Nintendo is having a hard time figuring out what to do at the international branches.

Baconbitz

Banned
Why don't you just buy an origional Wii used for that price? Also, that is gonna confuse a lot of consumers considering you have the Wii U out.

Bgamer90

Banned
This thread is another example of how gamers on internet message boards think they are the only people who play video games and that no one has the insight on the industry quite like them. Boy, Nintendo sure is done for because they're releasing a product that doesn't have the features that us hardcore gamers want from a console that most of us probably bought in 2006.

Seriously?

FYI, in 2012 most people expect new tech products to have some form of Internet connectivity. Doesn't matter if they aren't hardcore gamers.

I think it's overpriced for the functionality removed, but also the calls for $50 is a bit crazy. They've got to at least charge more than what they sell a remote and nunchuk for separately.
But... are they trying to compete with themselves?
Well, yeah. If someone doesn't want to buy Nintendo, they'd rather their alternate choice be Nintendo than not-Nintendo.
terrisus said:
No internet doesn't even make sense. How much are they saving by cutting out internet? And meanwhile that cuts out many of the reasons that people who have held off for now might go for a $99 system - Netflix/other similar things, and VC.
Seriously. These guys have had wi-fi in everything they've released for the last decade. Probably if every other user bought a copy of VC Super Mario Bros. it would be paid for.

I would be so pissed if my parents were so cheap and got me this model this Christmas instead of spending like 20 bucks more for the one with VC and Netflix

BD1

Banned
I think it looks cool, but WTF on the internet. Unless Nintendo is planning on deactivating the Wii Servers around the world in the next year...

Nintendo should have brought back the Micro line. Wii Micro. Aw yeahh

When the rumor broke the other day, I thought for sure they'd call it Wii Micro.

MYE

um... looked much, MUCH better in the box art. At least I nailed the power and eject buttons on my mockup :p
Still, I hope they release multiple colors of the mini.

gojSh.jpg

I'm no fan of removing the internet capability, but I have to agree. Of all the kids in my family who own an wii, and all their friends that I know of, not one them has ever gone online with the wii for any gaming reason whatsoever*.

*this does not include Netflix obviously, which a lot of them use. But I think it's pretty clear why this is only released in Canada.

Top Bottom