• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Berordn

Maybe I missed it but how will they be able to patch games without internet. Do you get another disk or load a usb with the patch?

There's a grand total of 4 games that support patching on the Wii. Lack of online kind of blows, but you're not missing any major functionality.

Tagg9

Wow, really dumb move to get rid of internet functionality. Mario Kart's multiplayer is a big draw for most people.

Takao

Banned
Don't you just love how this looks more like a new console than Wii U does?
I'm not sure whether I like how it looks or not, but it's definitely brave and interesting.

Alternate colors fun time: (Fake edit: damn you MYE)

Nintendo's inspiration?

dNTw8.jpg

Kade

No internet? How would you go about to patch games then? Or could you even do that on OG Wii?

You couldn't on the original Wii but a few developers found ways around it, like Nintendo releasing a Wii Channel that patched Skyward Sword's gamebreaking bug or the Call of Duty games being patched through the game itself.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm not sure whether I like how it looks or not, but it's definitely brave and interesting.

It's a nice looking console.

Septimius

I'd get one of the bottom right, but only because it looks like a game&watch. I'm really conflicted on the design. It's definitely a completely new turn, but I wish they'd made the edges look a little less like a lunchbox

IT'S BEAUTIFUL

No internet access though and the same price as a standard Wii? Sorry Canada!
Err. What standard Wii can you even find in stores right now?

The only ones you can find in stores right now is the Mario Bundle for $149: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/nintendo-wii-nintendo-wii-new-super-mario-bros-bundle-rvlskaah/10181856.aspx?path=4bd6df256ebd69115d29c42cf22511eden02

and the Skylanders one also for $149: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=17329616

There isn't a sub $100 system in Canada.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You couldn't on the original Wii but a few developers found ways around it, like Nintendo releasing a Wii Channel that patched Skyward Sword's gamebreaking bug or the Call of Duty games being patched through the game itself.

I see, thanks. So it's not really a major loss then.

Acrylic7

I can live with no BC. I can get a GameCube for $25 or less. But no Internet?
deal breaker/

edit- I thought the Wii was already $99 :p

Stat!

I want to hold off on a Wii till its like 89.99 or something but I want the GC/some internet support.

Although it sounds like that may never happen since the only one left is the Mario Kart bundle.

Love the idea, but it seems like an odd time to release it. So close to the Wii U, with such a similar name and oddly different design.

That said, as much as I like it, but no internet is a dealbreaker (well, that and it not being available in the US).

Elios83

Looked great in front view..but the whole thing actually looks like a Big Mac box:

Big+Mac+Box.jpg

Still with no Internet support (let alone the lack of GC compatibility) this has limited appeal for core gamers, it's more targeted at little kids.

I really need a show of hands: who's been using their Wii online recently.

What is there? Netflix? Already on a million other devices. Internet channel? Sucks. Monster Hunter 3 Tri? Servers shutting down. SSBB Brawl? Very few people playing online.

Seems like Mario Kart Wii is about it.

GAF completely missing the point again and thinking everything about the videogaming world is about them.

This is clearly marketed to younger kids as an impulse buy. Parents won't give a crap about the internet connectivity and it will still sell like gangbusters.

Hale-XF11

Looks like those old foam containers that McDonald's breakfasts used to come in.

Nintendo's inspiration?

dNTw8.jpg

Looked great in front view..but the whole thing actually looks like a Big Mac box:

Big+Mac+Box.jpg

Still with no Internet support (let alone the lack of GC compatibility) this has limited appeal for core gamers, it's more targeted at little kids.

Oh good, I'm not the only one then. XD

thirty

Banned
What are they doing? No internet connectivity in 2012? 50 dollar printers have WiFi. Seriously? Between Wii Us RAM and this then launching both at the same time causing confusion, nintendo deserves whatever happens to them because they are clearly out of touch.

I really need a show of hands: who's been using their Wii online recently.

Well, I think the bigger point here is that for the console's intended demographic, Internet access is probably not a huge deal. It seems to me that this console is aimed at parents who want to buy their children a relatively cheap, and yet still well-known, games console for the holidays and only intend to buy games that their children will play locally (single- or multiplayer). Perhaps to the surprise of people on this forum, there are people who just play games on their games console, especially when that's all parents want their kids doing (to avoid online aggression and such).

I just think it's weird that Nintendo is keeping it exclusive to Canada. Not that there's anything wrong with Canada, but is there something about Canadian consumers that seems more likely to purchase the Mini than other countries' consumers?

GAF completely missing the point again and thinking everything about the videogaming world is about them.

This is clearly marketed to younger kids as an impulse buy. Parents won't give a crap about the internet connectivity and it will still sell like gangbusters.

Dragonfart understands.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What is there? Netflix? Already on a million other devices. Internet channel? Sucks. Monster Hunter 3 Tri? Servers shutting down. SSBB Brawl? Very few people playing online.

Seems like Mario Kart Wii is about it.

Or theres, you know, that entire Online Store with indie gems and a whole comprehensive catalogue of retro games? You don't have to defend everything and bring some rationale to why its "okay". Its cheaping out, its stupid, and any informed buyer should go for a second hand/refurbished or other standard Wii on offer.

Kerub

Banned

Agree. This console together with mario kart or NSMB, will be a great christmas gift to a child.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hey Nintendo, since you're actively manufacturing a bunch of red Wiimotes and nunchuks, why not put those out seperately? Let me give you some money.

Takao

Banned
I just think it's weird that Nintendo is keeping it exclusive to Canada. Not that there's anything wrong with Canada, but is there something about Canadian consumers that seems more likely to purchase the Mini than other countries' consumers?

Test market. Canada is similar enough in taste to the US, but is a much smaller market to where if this thing doesn't sell Nintendo isn't left with a tonne in storage.

mclem

A page out of the PS2 end of life cycle?

Edit: Wait, what?! no Internet? LOL!

Wii Street!

I'm not quite sure how to reconcile 'no internet' with 'full functionality and compatability with the Wii's library of games". Sure, the Wii was hardly drowning in online titles, but they existed.

Canada is a test market. I don't understand why so many people don't get it at this point.

It's 1/10 of the US market size, yet has an operation that would be similar to the US in terms of stores, avenues of advertising, and probably user base.

angelfly

Did the wifi adapter really add that much to the cost? Overall though I like the look but I just don't see the need for this when they've just launched the WiiU.

Test market. Canada is similar enough in taste to the US, but is a much smaller market to where if this thing doesn't sell Nintendo isn't left with a tonne in storage.

Ah, good point. Although considering the Mini will probably sell best during the holiday rush, I wonder if there will really be time to introduce the console to other territories. But who knows: maybe it will sell like hotcakes early in December and NOA will decide to release it in the US (and maybe Mexico?) before Christmas. Or maybe it won't matter, and people will just buy it post-Christmas because of the impulse+children factor.

People are already confused and they put out a box that has a Wii with a big red U on it?

Sarcasm? Because if anything, the design choices are intended to differentiate the two systems: the packaging is entirely different, the color scheme is entirely different, and I would hope most people don't just see a vague "U" shape and automatically think "Must be the Wii U! Heh heh heh."

Top Bottom