• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

plank

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, it'll be available seperately. I have Tiger Woods paid off at Gamestop but I'm not buying my 2nd WM+ there. It's supposed to be $19.99 but GS is charging $24.99. :\

I got owned then. :(

Ugh, I hate that Gamestop is charging more for Motion+.

I have trade-in credit there that would negate the price of a motion+, but the extra amount they're charging negates half my credit!

Greedy fuckers.

CoolS

Seriously though, where are the reviews for GST? I know most sites must have bben busy with E3 but there are so many unanswered questions with Grand Slam Tennis.

wrowa

CoolS said:
Seriously though, where are the reviews for GST? I know most sites must have bben busy with E3 but there are so many unanswered questions with Grand Slam Tennis.
In the current issue of M! Games is a review, if that helps you.

markatisu

CoolS said:

Seriously, there have been like 5 print reviews. I guess we will see them tomorrow and Tuesday

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, it'll be available seperately. I have Tiger Woods paid off at Gamestop but I'm not buying my 2nd WM+ there. It's supposed to be $19.99 but GS is charging $24.99. :\

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it'll be available Monday or Tuesday?

My older brother has expressed interest in a golf game before, but I've been telling him to wait until WiiMotion+. I don't know if he'll like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, so what I'll do is buy WiiMotion+ and rent the game. If he likes it, I'll buy it with the bundle and get two WiiMotion+'s!

Marvie_3

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it'll be available Monday or Tuesday?

My older brother has expressed interest in a golf game before, but I've been telling him to wait until WiiMotion+. I don't know if he'll like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, so what I'll do is buy WiiMotion+ and rent the game. If he likes it, I'll buy it with the bundle and get two WiiMotion+'s!
There may be a store or two that put them out Monday (Kmart always seems to put 1st party Nintendo stuff out early here, sometimes days early), but they should be in stores everywhere Tuesday. Certain retailers are sometimes a day behind and might not have them until Wed. I'd just call ahead. :lol

Anony

seems like canadians (or just toronto) got it earlier

out today already (monday)

motion+ 25$
tiger w/ m+ 70$
tennis 55$ (or 60$ i forget)

big_z

Anony said:
seems like canadians (or just toronto) got it earlier

out today already (monday)

motion+ 25$
tiger w/ m+ 65$
tennis 55$

motion+ at $25+ here in canada is shit. $10 more than it should be imo.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
big_z said:
motion+ at $25+ here in canada is shit. $10 more than it should be imo.

Gamestop in the US is selling it for 25 US, so I guess we're on par up here.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
beje said:
I'm glad they finally went for the flat design with the same dimensions as the Wiimote itself. I was worried they would kill wireless nunchucks if they went for a special shape.

Edit: WTF! I read them the other way round. Those fuckers have chosen a shape that will make a lot of wireless nunchucks unusable. Nintendo, as always, pissing all over they can when they have the chance. Fuckers.

it's hilarious that you think nintendo would take competitors' products into consideration when creating a peripheral for their own machine :lol

AniHawk

laserbeam said:
Frys Electronics is selling Motion+ for $17.74 regular price and guarantees it will be in stores by 8 AM tuesday

Wait, tomorrow? Well fuck that then, I'll just get it at Fry's.

Ollie Pooch

people are whining about it being $20 instead of $10?

20 DOLLARS?

fucking cheapskates :lol

laserbeam

Banned
AniHawk said:
Wait, tomorrow? Well fuck that then, I'll just get it at Fry's.

Indeed it is in the top right hand corner of the Frys ad in Sundays paper. Says Wii Motion Plus Available Tuesday by 8:00 AM $17.74 everyday low price.

This will remove my Wii's dust yet again. It'll be the first time I buy any EA Sports games for the Wii, all my previous ones being for 360. And WSR goes without saying, all the chicks are gonna want to play that shit.

laserbeam said:
Indeed it is in the top right hand corner of the Frys ad in Sundays paper. Says Wii Motion Plus Available Tuesday by 8:00 AM $17.74 everyday low price.

Canceled my Amazon order cuz of this. Hopefully it's not in short supply.

First review of Tiger Woods for the Wii. The review is pretty positive on the subject of the wii motion plus. Even if it seems negative in the summary...

You'll love

* Detailed and pleasingly smooth courses
* Every golf-related activity you could imagine
* Will keep you busy for ages

You'll hate

* MotionPlus doesn't make a huge difference
* Some weak minigames
* Real-time weather kind of pointless

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/tiger...0/a-200906081727959007/g-20090226151230110075

laserbeam

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Canceled my Amazon order cuz of this. Hopefully it's not in short supply.

Frys generally seems to handle supply pretty well. Heck when Wrath of the Lich King came out they were the only stores in the state to get more than 5 copies of the Collectors Edition. Each frys had over 100 copies.

Docpan

Does using the M+ in the standard Wii menus and games make a difference, I.E. more accurate? There is some sensitivity issues with the standard IR, especially during the day time in a room with a lot of light. Does M+ resolve this or is it entirely unused unless the game supports it ?

Benedict

Eurogamer reviews Grand Slam Tennis and are not happy.

Grand Slam Tennis is an underwhelming representation of tennis, crippled by unintuitive controls, and just makes you want to go back to the precision of Top Spin or Virtua Tennis on a control pad. You can't blame Wii MotionPlus for this failure, because it's almost impossible to tell whether it's helping or hindering. What you can say is that Grand Slam Tennis isn't very good either way. Bring on Wii Sports Resort.

5/10

Posted this also in the IGN-review thread but are uncertain if it should be more in place here.

julls said:
people are whining about it being $20 instead of $10?

20 DOLLARS?

fucking cheapskates :lol
That and I'm sure people will buy at least a couple of MotionPlus enabled games... which are supposed to come bundled with it if they require it.

bdouble

Docpan said:
Does using the M+ in the standard Wii menus and games make a difference, I.E. more accurate? There is some sensitivity issues with the standard IR, especially during the day time in a room with a lot of light. Does M+ resolve this or is it entirely unused unless the game supports it ?
No but changing the sensitivity in the options menu will fix this right up. You just adjust it till the Wiimote only picks up the two IR signals from the sensor bar.
icantdrawanime said:
First review of Tiger Woods for the Wii. The review is pretty positive on the subject of the wii motion plus. Even if it seems negative in the summary...

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/tiger...0/a-200906081727959007/g-20090226151230110075
and I doin't know why I'd hate a pointless thing like Realtime weather. Its kinda cool. definitely not a con. Plus we have some conflicting opinions on if M+ really makes that much of a difference.

Ollie Pooch

Aaron Strife said:
That and I'm sure people will buy at least a couple of MotionPlus enabled games... which are supposed to come bundled with it if they require it.

yeah, the M+ really doesn't strike me as very expensive to begin with, and bitching about the difference between 10 bucks and 20 bucks is like arguing over loose change, given how much use this peripheral will get over the life of the console. i guess people are just shitty cos they know they're gonna buy it anyway..

Model 500

Docpan said:

Get your ass into the Wii settings and calibrate the sensitivity of the IR camera. Makes a world of a difference!

Docpan said:
That would be a nice upgrade in a firmware update.

Davey Cakes

abstract alien said:
Whats so pointless about real-time weather?
Nothing. It's a neat little addition to the game. I don't see why it'd be a con. EA could've just not included it and I doubt anyone would care. Now that it's in, and serves its purpose, if there's anything that's pointless, it's saying that the feature is pointless.

Bluecondor

FoxHimself said:
Get your ass into the Wii settings and calibrate the sensitivity of the IR camera. Makes a world of a difference!

Interesting - My Wii is in my living room, in between two windows, so it is pretty well lighted.

I checked my sensitivity settings, and it is the default (3). I couldn't really tell, but I am guessing that 1 and 2 would be for darker rooms, while 4 and 5 would be very rooms with more light.

I am picking up Motion + today. The WiiMote has always been fine on the default setting, but I will try this if I notice any sluggishness when paying golf and tennis.

Bluecondor said:
Interesting - My Wii is in my living room, in between two windows, so it is pretty well lighted.

I checked my sensitivity settings, and it is the default (3). I couldn't really tell, but I am guessing that 1 and 2 would be for darker rooms, while 4 and 5 would be very rooms with more light.

I am picking up Motion + today. The WiiMote has always been fine on the default setting, but I will try this if I notice any sluggishness when paying golf and tennis.

No. Point your wiimote at the screen when you're in the calibrating screen. Then you'll see what the Wiimote sees. Change the sensitivity around until you ONLY see the two blinking lights of the sensor bar.

IR doesn't have anything to do with the brightness of the room, just light sources.

swerve

Bluecondor said:

Depending on what you mean by 'between two windows' that could be exactly the problem.

Any other strong light sources which come into the wiimote camera's view can cause jittering.

Bluecondor

swerve said:
Depending on what you mean by 'between two windows' that could be exactly the problem.

Any other strong light sources which come into the wiimote camera's view can cause jittering.

Good point. I have light curtains on the windows. And, fortunately, the light from the windows does not shine directly onto the TV.

But - I have never had a problem with the sensitivity of the regular Wii-mote, so I am hopefully that Motion + will be OK as well....

Bluecondor said:
Good point. I have light curtains on the windows. And, fortunately, the light from the windows does not shine directly onto the TV.

But - I have never had a problem with the sensitivity of the regular Wii-mote, so I am hopefully that Motion + will be OK as well....

It actually matters more if the light is shining at the Wiimotes (not the TV).

ShockingAlberto said:
Ugh, I hate that Gamestop is charging more for Motion+.

I have trade-in credit there that would negate the price of a motion+, but the extra amount they're charging negates half my credit!

Greedy fuckers.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat....

Hey, I don't know if it's been asked, but does WM+ have any effect on navigating the dashboard and/or the web browser application?

Bluecondor said:

The MotionPlus has nothing to do with the pointer on the Wiimote or the sensor bar.

sprocket

Banned
Tiger woods is freaking awesome. M+ wise and game wise. this is how all wii games should be handled. I hope it sells a lot to show devs that if you put time in to the games they will sell.

Anyway its the first wii game that actually made me stand up to play .

plank

sprocket said:
Tiger woods is freaking awesome. M+ wise and game wise. this is how all wii games should be handled. I hope it sells a lot to show devs that if you put time in to the games they will sell.

owned :lol

laserbeam

Banned
sprocket said:

0.5/10 from Jeff Gertsmann confirmed

Top Bottom