• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

markatisu

Dash Kappei said:
I can't see the vid, damn, so it's re-confirmed that M+ is actually detachable from the new "remote with M+" jacket, right?

Otherwise I need to fix the op.

Yes its not even glued in, Matt just reached in and pulled it out

They are just providing a longer jacket with the attachment but its completely 100% removable with pretty much no effort as Matt showed.

legend166

Blog post from Bozon:

We just got in Wii MotionPlus today along with Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis, and after many hours of playing (and trying to do work amidst even more playing) it's obvious that WM+ is as big as everyone expects it will be.

The bar is being raised on the contol front. This is the first time I've truly felt like motion has been done better than in Wii Sports Bowling, and frankly I don't want a single other Wii title that uses motion without it. Hopefully the "waggle" days are over... at least for the games that matter.

It's a good time to own a Wii. Bring on the WM+ games!

And something he said on the IGN boards:

Anthony (our video guy, and HUGE tennis player... plays against some pretty famous peeps) said it was "The best tennis videogame I've ever played." and I'm starting to agree. It kicks so much ass...

I am officially hyped.

plank

I don't understand whats the big deal about the Wii remote jacket. I mean is it really that unfashionable?

I'm making a prediction- this thing will fail miserably and Nintendo will go out of business. Wii Sports Resort will languish on the shelves and the video game industry will come to a crashing finish.

gabe90

plank said:
I don't understand whats the big deal about the Wii remote jacket. I mean is it really that unfashionable?
I'm looking forward to getting them with my Motion+'s. I never ordered them from Nintendo in the first place. I think they're comfortable every time I use them at someone else's place.

markatisu

plank said:

I actually love the jacket, I only remove it when I want to use the wiimote in the gun attachments or the wheel.

But I think it adds a nice weight and comfort to the wiimote

Does anyone know if this works with Nyko's Wand?

No idea, not sure why it would not but the tech has not really been tested much. Not sure if it works with the wireless nunchucks or not either.

We will all find out in a month or so I guess

HUELEN10

plank said:
I have no clue myself. To me, it isn't the Wii Remote WITHOUT the Jacket. Thing kicks ass.

evilromero said:
I'm making a prediction- this thing will fail miserably and Nintendo will go out of business. Wii Sports Resort will languish on the shelves and the video game industry will come to a crashing finish.
Sounds about right.

HUELEN10 said:
I have no clue myself. To me, it isn't the Wii Remote WITHOUT the Jacket. Thing kicks ass.
I just prefer it without the condom.

Leaves it open to all sorts of potentially damaging things, but it feels soooo good.

HUELEN10 said:
To me, it's not the Remote if it has the jacket on. It doesn't look like a TV remote anymore, it looks like a pool toy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HUELEN10 said:

Too big, too heavy and must remove a couple of them (I have 4 remotes, two I leave without the jacket) if I want to play 4p Ghost Squad with the Perfect Shot(s) or MK Wii with 4 wheels.

plank said:
I have to remove it everytime I want to use a guitar, wheel, hand cannon. With M+ it doesn't matter that much since I'll have to remove that anyway.

pakkit

Banned
I really like the jacket for NES style Wiimotin', but it catches a LOT of dirt and dust in the non-protected places.

The jacket for Motion+ doesn't even have those benefits though. I wouldn't be using Motion+ to play NES style, so it's only "benefit" is less damage to the palm-sweaters that throw their Wiimotes at their televisions.

Davey Cakes

The jacket just kills the slickness of the controller.

And, not just that, but having to take any sort of safety precaution (other than the wrist strap, which really should do just fine) kind of removes the sense of simplicity.

Honestly, how many games are so potentially hazardous with Wiimote motion that the wrist-strap isn't enough?

Having said this, I can understand why MotionPlus is going to be embedded in a glove, since games that use it will require more extreme gestures than anything we've seen before. I just wish that it was optional, as the current one already is. While I agree that the thing would serve its purpose with MotionPlus, there are some of us who still think the wrist-strap does just fine and would prefer not to use the jacket.

1-D_FTW

Rash said:
The jacket just kills the slickness of the controller.

And, not just that, but having to take any sort of safety precaution (other than the wrist strap, which really should do just fine) kind of removes the sense of simplicity.

Honestly, how many games are so potentially hazardous with Wiimote motion that the wrist-strap isn't enough?

Having said this, I can understand why MotionPlus is going to be embedded in a glove, since games that use it will require more extreme gestures than anything we've seen before. I just wish that it was optional, as the current one already is. While I agree that the thing would serve its purpose with MotionPlus, there are some of us who still think the wrist-strap does just fine and would prefer not to use the jacket.

If you'd read all the posts or watched the video the posts were referencing, you'd see the thing slips right out of the jacket. It pops in or out of the mold. Do what you want with it.

Davey Cakes

1-D_FTW said:
If you'd read all the posts or watched the video the posts were referencing, you'd see the thing slips right out of the jacket. It pops in or out of the mold. Do what you want with it.
Really? The guys over at IGN made it sound like you'd have to cut the thing off if you wanted to remove the MotionPlus attachment.

If it slips right out, that's cool.

Vinci

Danish
Somnid said:
The jacket is infinately more comfortable but a pain-in-the-ass if you switch peripherals.

Jacket's the way to go for general gameplay, but peripherals? Yeah, just take the second and a half to remove the thing. Seriously, it's so easy to slide off the Wiimote - I don't see where the issue comes from.

Eteric Rice

So if all this hype is true, the Wii finally becomes what everyone wanted it to be.

Now we just need a Wii with "good" upscaling, and the only real issue will be it's online implementation.

Vinci

Danish
Eteric Rice said:
So if all this hype is true, the Wii finally becomes what everyone wanted it to be.

Now we just need a Wii with "good" upscaling, and the only real issue will be it's online implementation.

Wii 2, cometh. Eventually.

markatisu

Eteric Rice said:

Well and its online implementation won't ever change because Nintendo is adamant about sticking with the friend codes.

But online games from EA work just fine (MOHH2, Madden, FIFA, Tiger Woods, and from reports Grand Slam Tennis) as well as Rock Band 2 and GHIII/WT/Metallica

Brawl online is shitty for many reasons, Strikers and Mario Kart run smooth.

[Nintex]

Vinci said:
Wii 2, cometh. Eventually.
I'm thinking more of a Wii+ with HD support, build-in HDD and an improved Motion Controller. It's going to be backwards compatible with the current Wii, otherwise Nintendo won't be able to sell it to their new customers, they would riot: "What? I can't use my Mario Kart Wii Racing Wheels anymore?!", that pretty much happened to SEGA when they shoved the Saturn down our throats and killed the Genesis/MD.

Vinci

Danish
[Nintex] said:
I'm thinking more of a Wii+ with HD support, build-in HDD and an improved Motion Controller. It's going to be backwards compatible with the current Wii, otherwise Nintendo won't be able to sell it to their new customers, they would riot: "What? I can't use my Mario Kart Wii Racing Wheels anymore?!", that pretty much happened to SEGA when they shoved the Saturn down our throats and killed the Genesis/MD.

They're not going to do that, man. They saved a Gamecube peripheral (the Wiimote) for a new system and look what it did for it. The only reason we're getting M+ is to give the Wii engine more gas, so Nintendo has more time before they have to be truly concerned about their next system.

Somnid

Vinci said:
Jacket's the way to go for general gameplay, but peripherals? Yeah, just take the second and a half to remove the thing. Seriously, it's so easy to slide off the Wiimote - I don't see where the issue comes from.

The wheel and the Zapper don't work with it. Also when using the Wiimote in a sidewise fashion the bulb that softens the front should it be thrown becomes awkward to hold.

Dash Kappei

Kilrogg said:
I don't know if it's been posted on this thread on the thread, but there's a WSR sword fighting commercial featuring bamboo-slashing. For some reason, I find this kinda exciting :D.

Here's the complete Wii Sports Resort commercial with Sword Fighting, Golf, Disc Throw and Table Tennis (!)

And it looks like I won't be buying TW10 anymore, Wii Sports Golf with M+ it's more than enough for me, as someone who just enjoy playing a couple of rounds with friends and their Miis. So it's just WSR and GST for me, two M+ and maybe a third one later with Red Steel 2.

Dash Kappei

High Voltage Software's new game Gladiator A.D. to have optional M+ enhanced gameplay

IGN interviews HVS said:
IGN: How do you control the game? Please be specific? Are you using Wii MotionPlus for anything?

Kerry: The controls use Wii motions with the Wii remote and nunchuck to initiate an attack. There are six basic attacks: Left, right or overhead, both light and heavy. The player can also block or dodge in any direction.

David: We are taking full advantage of the Wii Remote's motion-sensing capabilities for combat. We are very proud of what we have been able to accomplish using just the Wii Remote. That said though, we are currently incorporating the latest version of the Wii MotionPlus firmware and will support it.

Eric: The Wii MotionPlus will be used to add variance to the attacks to break up what could possibly be seen as mechanical attacks. For example, depending on the orientation of the player's wrist when a left slice is initiated, the gladiator will attack his opponents right side from one of three angles, making it slightly more difficult to perfect block player's using the Wii MotionPlus. We are also looking into other applications for optional game-play with this peripheral.

2crahwy.jpg

2cx92s8.jpg

-thanks to Nirolak and Silkworm

Dash Kappei

The Grinder, holiday 2010 release, developed by HVS ("The Conduit"s guys).

Motion Plus support, swords and guns in a Left 4 Dracula kind of game (4p online co-op, offline split-screen, tons of modes, uber customizable controls etc).

Screens:

e3-2009the-grinder-20090526041015074.jpg

e3-2009the-grinder-20090526041011667.jpg

It's fucking' awesome, the M+ add-on is startin' to sound like it could get even more support than the classic controller itself :D

Trailer:

IGN Wii The Grinder - Reveal Trailer

/Pumped.
And this game looks awesome, if I may :)

I'll keep updating the OP as usual as the announcements keep rolling but the post has no space left so I'll have to start takin' things out here and there.

tuco11

I read that Grand Sam Tennis got 7.5 in nintendo power. If anyone got the issue can you give a summary of the review and what problems, they had with the game?

thanks.

Dash Kappei

Yeah, reviews are coming in:

Nintendo Power:

NP said:
Grand Slam Tennis -7.5 (online portion not reviewed)
The Conduit -8.0
Tiger Woods PGA Tour10 -9.0
Let's Tap -7.0
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings -7.5
Ghostbusters -7.5
Knights in the Nightmare -8.0
Lego Battles -5.0
The Munchables -7.0
Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming- 8.0
Boom Blox Bash Party- 8.0
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again -8.0
Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Council4 -5.0
The Legendary Starfy -7.0
X-Men Origins: Wolverine -5.0

M! Games (german magazine):

M! Games said:
Grand Slam Tennis Wii: 80 with M+ [73 without]
Anno: A New World: 81 [DS gets 80]
Boom Blox Smash Party Wii: 85
Pikmin 2 Wii: 86
Pokemon Platinum DS: 86
Punch-Out!! Wii: 82
Star Ocean XB: 78
Sacred 2 XB: 79 [PS3 gets 72]
UFC 2009 XB/PS: 85
Red Faction Guerilla XB/PS: 87
INFAMOUS PS: 85
Fuel XB/PS: 85
Namco Museum XB: 76
VT 2009: 86 (PS3 and XB only)

Anony

just say a futureshop ad, M+ cost 25$ in canada

and the dollar is pretty close to 1:1 in the us, is there any place in canada selling it for 20$?

legend166 said:
Blog post from Bozon:

We just got in Wii MotionPlus today along with Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis, and after many hours of playing (and trying to do work amidst even more playing) it's obvious that WM+ is as big as everyone expects it will be.

The bar is being raised on the contol front. This is the first time I've truly felt like motion has been done better than in Wii Sports Bowling, and frankly I don't want a single other Wii title that uses motion without it. Hopefully the "waggle" days are over... at least for the games that matter.

It's a good time to own a Wii. Bring on the WM+ games!

And something he said on the IGN boards:

Anthony (our video guy, and HUGE tennis player... plays against some pretty famous peeps) said it was "The best tennis videogame I've ever played." and I'm starting to agree. It kicks so much ass...

I am officially hyped

count me in.....same

So we can actually get our hands on this thing on June 8, two days away. Will it be sold separately, or will it just be bundled with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm wondering what would be the best game to try Motion Plus. I don't really like golf video games, so Tiger woods is out of the question. Maybe Grand Slam Tennis?

Davey Cakes

Bisnic said:
I'm wondering what would be the best game to try Motion Plus. I don't really like golf video games, so Tiger woods is out of the question. Maybe Grand Slam Tennis?
I'm just going for Wii Sports Resort. That game has the most variety, and probably the most fine-tuned usage of MotionPlus.

Grand Slam Tennis sounds fun, but impressions give me the feeling that, while its controls with M+ are accurate, the game just isn't as impressive as Tiger Woods.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
So we can actually get our hands on this thing on June 8, two days away. Will it be sold separately, or will it just be bundled with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10?
Yeah, it'll be available seperately. I have Tiger Woods paid off at Gamestop but I'm not buying my 2nd WM+ there. It's supposed to be $19.99 but GS is charging $24.99. :\

That Bozon post on the top of this page gets me so hyped.
I really, really hope that Grand Slam Tennis is awesome.
However I'm really worried about it not being what I want. Big tennis fan over here.

Also, when does GST actually come out? IGN says Monday (June 8th) both other places seem to say the 10th.

Top Bottom