• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

They need some new term other than "1:1", as I wouldn't consider what I saw in that GrandSlam Tennis trailer a "perfect" 1:1. It looked like it recognizes maybe 8 different rotation angles, with a few set heights. I know they said true 1:1 just didn't work for the game (they said it was "too" accurate), I'm not saying it's bad, but they are still calling it a "true 1:1 experience". We need a new term.

AnonymousNoob said:
Hate to be that guy, but:

Confirmed WAT?
??? This has been known since the start of the thread. The motion plus accessory is available first, followed by Resort a month later. Nintendo isn't ready to release thier game, but they don't want to delay the accessory if third parties have games ready.

markatisu

Dreamwriter said:
They need some new term other than "1:1", as I wouldn't consider what I saw in that GrandSlam Tennis trailer a "perfect" 1:1. It looked like it recognizes maybe 8 different rotation angles, with a few set heights. I know they said true 1:1 just didn't work for the game (they said it was "too" accurate), I'm not saying it's bad, but they are still calling it a "true 1:1 experience". We need a new term.

The mass public is not going to be as anal retentive. 1:1 for most consumers will be if I turn to the left they turn to the left, turn to the right they turn, move your wrist your character moves it.

Blizzard

Banned
markatisu said:
The mass public is not going to be as anal retentive. 1:1 for most consumers will be if I turn to the left they turn to the left, turn to the right they turn, move your wrist your character moves it.

So in other words, no lightsaber game again, for a couple more years? ;_;

Meesh

markatisu said:

Agreed, and it'll really show in the angle the racket is held to achieve different swings/serves, for n00bs this'll be "true 1:1".

I'd like to see a game daring enough to use full motion though, unrestrained 1:1, just to see what it's like...a demo?

Blizzard said:

Actually, M+ is the reason to have an new light saber game. It's too bad this wasn't available when Tenchu4 was in dev.

pakkit

Banned
Blizzard said:
WiiMotion is capable of near perfect 1:1. Most games will limit the 1:1 motion, though, so animations can look more fluid and the gameplay can be more immediately fun. A tennis game that's as demanding as real tennis would only be fun to a very, very limited audience.

Just wanted to ask something that came to mind.

Is there any way to change the Wiimote cursor? I remember seeing different ones in the past in vids but I can't find anything on it.

Edit-Guess no one knows ;_;

So many tennis games. Cannot process them. *Head-a-splode*.

I'm thinkin' Grand Slam Tennis is where the party is at. Whatever one will have the best controls/most "hardcore/1:1 and all that. But I'm totally diggin on GST's art-style and roster, so that will be hard to pass up.

Finally going to get some use for my Wii. I'm excited.

markatisu

Blizzard said:

WSR has a sword fighting game that shows if a lightsaber does not come out its because Lucas is too lazy to license one out.

I thought KROME had said in an interview that if they had known about M+ before Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels was developed it would have been a good candidate to use it.

bdouble

pakkit said:
WiiMotion is capable of near perfect 1:1. Most games will limit the 1:1 motion, though, so animations can look more fluid and the gameplay can be more immediately fun. A tennis game that's as demanding as real tennis would only be fun to a very, very limited audience.

Exactly. I tried to explain this when people were clamoring for 1:1 years ago. The animations would just look plain stupid if it was 1:1. With M+ though it allows developers to really flesh out distinct movement and direction of movements that translate into a much wider variety of actions on the screen. It will be very possible for a fighting game to implement 8 different directions of swings which could be very interesting.

Its not really about getting true "1:1" movement. Its about giving the player absolute control. Being able to detect both forehand and backhand, topspin and lob shots all very accurately. Which I think this and Virtua tennis will do. Same goes for Twoods. Not really going to be 1:1 but just more consistent in the way it tracks your swing.

Where 1:1 will work great though are in puzzle like components eg opening doors in MP or just manipulating objects.

Blizzard

Banned
pakkit said:

Sorry, I was retarded and misread Dreamwriter's post. I thought he was saying that it couldn't do 1:1, not that they chose not to use the full range of possible motion-matching.

Meesh

bdouble said:
Exactly. I tried to explain this when people were clamoring for 1:1 years ago. The animations would just look plain stupid if it was 1:1. With M+ though it allows developers to really flesh out distinct movement and direction of movements that translate into a much wider variety of actions on the screen. It will be very possible for a fighting game to implement 8 different directions of swings which could be very interesting.

Its not really about getting true "1:1" movement. Its about giving the player absolute control. Being able to detect both forehand and backhand, topspin and lob shots all very accurately. Which I think this and Virtua tennis will do. Same goes for Twoods. Not really going to be 1:1 but just more consistent in the way it tracks your swing.

Where 1:1 will work great though are in puzzle like components eg opening doors in MP or just manipulating objects.

The 8 way movement(run) in Sould Calibur would be 16?(movement) lol. Strafing (for lack of a better term) or running about with the already established SC mechanic and layer some rather unorthodox strikes/moves would be mind blowing.

Puzzle components in games, or maybe puzzle games altogether...

markatisu said:
I thought KROME had said in an interview that if they had known about M+ before Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels was developed it would have been a good candidate to use it.
Considering how Star Wars remains popular and Clone Wars will be on the air for some time, I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't see another. I don't remember hearing how the original sold, but I don't remember it being singled out as a bomb either?

Dreamwriter said:
"High Definition Motion Tracking"

Ramenman said:
Wait, it's 19$ now ? Wasn't it supposed to 10 bucks cheaper ?
Since the original post has been massively changed to show the real info, what I think was the case was taking the rumored prices and just doing "Game + Motion Plus bundle price" minus "Game price" equals "Motion Plus price". Which even now would come out to $10.

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder if it will be worth it for Nintendo to do a budget re-release of Wii Sports with Motion+.
Someday a followup to Wii Sports with similar sports and new technology? Sure. But for as much as everything would have to change to take decent advantage of Motion+, I don't think they'll just do a cheap upgrade to their defining game of the generation.

Eteric Rice

bdouble said:

What about for first person games?

markatisu

JoshuaJSlone said:
Considering how Star Wars remains popular and Clone Wars will be on the air for some time, I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't see another. I don't remember hearing how the original sold, but I don't remember it being singled out as a bomb either?

I think it did about average, which is probably a godsend given the horrid review scores and badmouthing it got in the press (the DS version was 100x better and got surprisingly high review scores)

And I looked it up and it was Game Informer that said Lucas and KROME were not happy with the fact they were not informed of M+ while working on Clone Wars Wii.

So I can only imagine if a sequel is made (and why not the show is CN's highest rated and Lucas said he wants at least 4 more seasons) it will surely have M+

markatisu said:
And I looked it up and it was Game Informer that said Lucas and KROME were not happy with the fact they were not informed of M+ while working on Clone Wars Wii.
I remember that, too, but really, what were they gonna do? Just give up the holiday 2008 season?

BDGAME

Dash Kappei said:
hwmqz9.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

35391.jpg

A true box art that shows the real game and how its look like! :lol

markatisu said:
From what I can tell Lucas was the only one shown to be pissed. Krome seemed to be happy that they are in line to do another SW game for the Wii.

markatisu said:
Well, we all knew about it in summer of last year and the game didn't exactly come out right after that, nor can I imagine it took a hell of a long time to make. Since Motion+ wasn't going to launch until the next year, anyway, they could easily have chosen to just delay it to then (losing the sales from riding off the back of the movie and cartoon, of course), but they didn't.

What they're really complaining about is that Nintendo didn't release Motion+ before.

markatisu

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, we all knew about it in summer of last year and the game didn't exactly come out right after that, nor can I imagine it took a hell of a long time to make. Since Motion+ wasn't going to launch until the next year, anyway, they could easily have chosen to just delay it to then (losing the sales from riding off the back of the movie and cartoon, of course), but they didn't.

What they're really complaining about is that Nintendo didn't release Motion+ before.

I think what the article was implying was that they were mad Nintendo did not tell them ahead of time so when they were asked they could have said "it was not going to be out when the game was so we will keep that in mind for a sequel"

Instead of "what is M+? We had no idea it was coming, we look like complete fucktards for not knowing it was going to be out in 2009"

Dash Kappei said:
There is another SW title announced for Wii with Motion Plus?? :O
Rumored.

http://go nintendo.com/?p=53906
(take out the space)

More back up.
IGN: Great to hear, and equally great to see you branching out into different platforms and game types. Now we need to go back to Wii, since I've got questions that the fans will butcher me if I don't ask, so here we go. First off, is your relationship good with LucasArts now? With something like the Wii MotionPlus just being announced, everyone is looking for that lightsaber simulator. We even interviewed with you before and asked, and the response was "We'd love to do it, but unfortunately the tech isn't there." So now where do you go? The tech is there, right? Are we getting that lightsaber simulator? Are you prodding LucasArts?

Walsh: Well it's funny, I was at LucasArts a lot during E3 and it was the forefront of what we were talking about. I mean obviously this year we can't, since the device isn't coming out yet, and Force and Clone are both hitting by thanksgiving, so that's out of the question. With the other stuff we're working on now though, we're definitely looking to incorporate it, so… I think next year it's going to be really, really cool. You're right though. The 1:1 control is on everybody's lips now, and yeah, not this year, but for next year we're definitely working on something. I'll leave it at that.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/899/899438p2.html

And while Im at it, Krome knew about M+ before E3

Krome, developers of the upcoming Star Wars The Clone Wars game for the Wii, have revealed that Nintendo warned them about Wii MotionPlus before E3.

Back in August, we heard rumblings that LucasArts weren't very happy with Nintendo's shock Wii MotionPlus announcement prior to their E3 conference in July. It appeared that Nintendo had chosen not to inform anyone else about their new peripheral before the convention, with games such as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels too late into their development cycles to implement MotionPlus functionality.

In the latest issue of NGamer, producer Ken Fox from Krome, who has been working on Lightsaber Duels for the Wii, had something a little different to say...

"Yes, Nintendo did give us a heads-up about MotionPlus. As far as I know, MotionPlus won't be available until 2009, so it won't be in our game since it launches in November 2008. We feel the original remote enables fans to live out the fantasy of wielding the Wii remote like a Lightsaber. We're very proud of the experience that Lightsaber Duels provides."

Issue #29 of NGamer features a very positive preview of Lightsaber Duels, and should be on sale over the next few days.

http://n- europe.com/news.php?nid=12427

(take out the space.)

pakkit

Banned
I don't really see how 1:1 motion will make cooking games any more fun. But it's being developed by Red Fly (Mushroom Men, Ghostbusters Wii), so I'll keep an eye out.

m3k

i know im late but about the tennis seemingly only having 8 animations for different swings... can i point out that this does not mean that it does not recognise one to one anymore... its just the animations for the characters

Davey Cakes

m3k said:
i know im late but about the tennis seemingly only having 8 animations for different swings... can i point out that this does not mean that it does not recognise one to one anymore... its just the animations for the characters
As an added note, MotionPlus isn't all about just complete 1:1 motion as translated in every move of the character on screen. It's also about perfectly accurate translations of particular gestures into on-screen actions. MotionPlus pretty much guarantees that there will be no more "misreads" as long as the player is doing a certain motion right.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Black-Wind said:
Rumored.

http://go nintendo.com/?p=53906
(take out the space)

It makes sense but I would take a post on Go Nintendo with more than a grain of salt ;-P

But I'd gladly take a M+ focused SW game on Wii, I just prefer to see another developer take the reigns for this one, since Krome couldn't prove itself with the two games they've developed. Maybe it was all budgets and time constraints' fault, but either way I can't excuse such a buggy and hideous mess like TFU was... and with LSD they weren't even limited by the need for PS2-friendly engine.

As for the kind of game I'd like with the license, TFU all the way since a fighting only game would get old pretty fast... just includes those mechanics in boss fights/multiplayer or whatever.

Rash said:
As an added note, MotionPlus isn't all about just complete 1:1 motion as translated in every move of the character on screen

This.
It's really baffling all this talk about 1:1 since in 99% of the cases a game wouldn't be fun if it really adapted to that. Motion+ is about having more possibilities with the gesture motions thanks to the added 3D space, and being sure those motions won't be misread thanks to the added precision that Motion+ brings to the table.

Dash Kappei said:
It makes sense but I would take a post on Go Nintendo with more than a grain of salt ;-P
Well, it's a EGM rumor that they got from 1UP.

Kinda like Wiki . . . it doesn't matter how creditable Wiki is if the info on it is linked from somewhere that is more creditable.:lol

And yeah, I agree partly with them not "proving" themselves with the last 2 games. With LSD, IMO, they took most of their time just getting the graphics right. It's a very clean and good looking game last I checked, at the very least they should have the elements to make a game where they focus alot more of the dev time on the gameplay. And alot of people think they did a good job with the DS game.

But it all depinds . . . does Lucasarts want to step the fuck up and make the game themselves, truely making their LS game for THEIR fans? Or do they want to just focus on making a HD game and give this to Krome or something?

(Oh, and people often times do get to tied up on 1:1. M+ gives the devs TONS more options and the player TONS more control with much better timeing (How much better? Can't wait to see for myself!) . . . that doesn't mean your character has to animate their arm just like you (1:1) in every game because, most likely, that would look odd and be un-needed. With WSR I take it that they get away with it by not giving Mii's arms.

pakkit

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Go Nintendo is nothing more than regurgitated NeoGAF Nintendo news (okay, so they have a few exclusives), which is why it's banned state on our site is so hilarious.

Dash Kappei

Black-Wind said:
Well, it's a EGM rumor that they got from 1UP.

Kinda like Wiki . . . it doesn't matter how creditable Wiki is if the info on it is linked from somewhere that is more creditable.:lol

I totally agree then, I couldn't go on the website (which I often visit myself for the same reason pakkit mentioned above) and since you linked to them instead of mentioning EGM I tought it was one of their "Our reader xxxx, who wish to remain anonymous, tipped us about an incoming SW title etc.: :lol

Dash Kappei said:
I totally agree then, I couldn't go on the website (which I often visit myself for the same reason pakkit mentioned above) and since you linked to them instead of mentioning EGM I tought it was one of their "Our reader xxxx, who wish to remain anonymous, tipped us about an incoming SW title etc.: :lol
Yeah, they piss me off with that stuff.

But anyway, this could go many different ways. We knoe Krome is working on some things for the Wii and that might be SW. Lucasarts can pass on a lesser title to Krome and take the bull by the horns themselves by making 2 games like they did last year.

I would like to see Lucasarts be the one to make their LS game with M+ . . . I mean, why trust another party to fully bring what their fans have been fapping for? I might go as fare as to say that I wouldn't have much hope for the game if Lucasarts chooses to not be the ones making it. >_>

Linkup

pakkit said:
I don't really see how 1:1 motion will make cooking games any more fun. But it's being developed by Red Fly (Mushroom Men, Ghostbusters Wii), so I'll keep an eye out.

M+ is for more accurate controls not making games fun suddenly as that still depends on the dev largely.

Also a Ore no Ryouri like game for Wii would kick all kinds of butt. It really sucks that there isn't a fun cooking game on wii yet.

Dash Kappei

New Virtua Tennis 2009 Motion Plus' gameplay video (english speaking, italian subbed :p)

Well, I really don't know which one to choose at this point, I'll probably go with GST just because of the bundle, but VT's animations are far better than GST, even if I like better the art-style of the latter.

Interesting to note that when you use the Remote without M+ you have a slide bar above your player to guide you for more accuracy, which is lacking when you play with the Motion Plus: Producers say this will help having a fair game when the match is a plain Wii Remote user going against a Motion+'s user.
Wii version features everything the PS360 version has, online modes included.

Dash Kappei said:
New Virtua Tennis 2009 Motion Plus' gameplay video (english speaking, italian subbed :p)

Well, I really don't know which one to choose at this point, I'll probably go with GST just because of the bundle, but VT's animations are far better than GST, even if I like better the art-style of the latter.

Interesting to note that when you use the Remote without M+ you have a slide bar above your player to guide you for more accuracy, which is lacking when you play with the Motion Plus: Producers say this will help having a fair game when the match is a plain Wii Remote user going against a Motion+'s user.
Yeah, I'll wait on more hands-on reports. First I was leaning more towards GST but I somewhat get the impression M+ integration could be better in VT (no button presses required) so I'll wait on impressions. The better M+ integration wins my money.

Cipherr

Dash Kappei said:

WOW IMO VT wins over EA's most definitely. It looks so much better, and a fleshed out online? Yessir.

Dash Kappei said:

Freaking awesome. I adore how human the Motion + movements are when they swing. I've never been so hyped for a sports game before, other than NBA Jam.

I gotta say . . . it is annoying how Nintento got their primary boxing competitors to release their big boxing game before Motion+ was available such that Nintendo can sneak in with a Motion+ supported title ad steal all the thunder. Poor Don King and Ready to Rumble . . . both about to be outdone by Nintendo's game that gets the good technology.

legend166

speculawyer said:
I gotta say . . . it is annoying how Nintento got their primary boxing competitors to release their big boxing game before Motion+ was available such that Nintendo can sneak in with a Motion+ supported title ad steal all the thunder. Poor Don King and Ready to Rumble . . . both about to be outdone by Nintendo's game that gets the good technology.

Punch Out isn't using MotionPlus.

speculawyer said:
Which Nintendo boxing game are you thinking about? Oh and I hope you are not being serious when you call Don King and R2R "big" boxing games.

Dash Kappei

speculawyer said:

Don King and R2R are both pos, so they hardly got shunned by M+ not being available, you need a decent game at the basis before going to add something on top of that, even if you're a fan of those games that wouldn't change the fact there's no Nintendo boxing game available to use M+ nor one that has been already announced. In fact there's no Wii boxing game announced at all to be using Motion Plus tech. Punch-Out!! Wii has an option to play with the Balance Board and that's it, no M+.
EA has/had a pretty big window opportunity with Fight Night Round 4, instead the chose to not release a Wii version of the game. We'll see if they correct that at E3.

edit:
Thanks to Neomoto for the ONM transcript:

"MotionPlus is the beating heart of Red Steel 2" - Creative Director Red Steel 2:

ONM: Will you use MotionPlus to introduce non-combat uses of the technology?

JV: Oh yeah, as many as we can get into the game. [...] We want people to manipulate a lot of things. We call them 'game breakers' - the chance to do something cool that's outside the core gameplay.

ONM: What's it like working with MotionPlus?

JV: It's incredibly satisfying - really exciting. I've been working in games for 12 years and this is the first time that I feel we're going to give the fans something really cool that they've never seen before. And I genuinely mean that. It's not just marketing bullshit - this is something new that you've never done before and it's really fun. It's a great feeling to be able to say that.

- Game is build around MotionPlus (M+ made it possible to make the game they wanted to make with that kind of gameplay, and "shift the game away from the shooting side of things"). That is also why production began when they first got their M+ dev kits.

- Seems there will also be some kind of "backtracking", where you can enter previously inaccessible areas when you have gotton new abilities and such.

- ONM seems to think that this will be the showcase MotionPlus title for the "hardcore". Perhaps even demostrating how MotionPlus could transform core gaming. "A new era for Wii gaming? You bet."

markatisu

EA is moving up Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis to be out at the launch of M+, new date is now June 8th in North America

"This was important for us to bring in our ship dates for Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 and EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis to hit right at the launch of the new Wii MotionPlus accessory in North America," said Todd Sitrin, Group Vice President Global Marketing, EA SPORTS. "Fans deserve great games that use the new accessory, and now they'll have two that deliver authentic sports motion as soon as the Wii MotionPlus hits stores."

markatisu said:
EA is moving up Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis to be out at the launch of M+, new date is now June 8th in North America

"This was important for us to bring in our ship dates for Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 and EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis to hit right at the launch of the new Wii MotionPlus accessory in North America," said Todd Sitrin, Group Vice President Global Marketing, EA SPORTS. "Fans deserve great games that use the new accessory, and now they'll have two that deliver authentic sports motion as soon as the Wii MotionPlus hits stores."

Awesome, Tiger Woods on day one for me. Will get either VT or GST depending on the reviews (Though I'm leaning towards VT just because it uses motions only for swinging!)

bumpkin

Blizzard said:
Maybe this makes me a lesser geek, but I do not understand the hard-on people have for a lightsaber game on the Wii. Without any actual feedback -- outside of a little rumble -- it would never feel quite *right*. That is your swing would never be physically stopped, taking away the tactile feel a lightsaber fight would have if it were real... Just sayin'.

I'm more intrigued at the MotionPlus' applications in the sports arena like Tiger Woods 10. That's a game that has epitomized the need for really accurate motion detection.

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, they managed to make a game without any lighting. That's impressive.

Grand Slam Tennis wins by virtue of having McEnroe, Becker and Borg alone. And Virtua Tennis 3 was a bitter disappointment for me, so I'm wary for now, even though the animations look pretty good, probably ripped straight from the 360/PC/PS3 versions.

Top Bottom