• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

PolyGone

Banned
anotherworld said:
i can't believe most of you peeps here are swallowing theses crappy graphics...it soo pathic they cant't even reach XBOX 1 quality graphics.

they're much easier to swallow when they're a smooth 60 fps and not stuttering around 5-10 fps like so many xbox games...

PolyGone said:
they're much easier to swallow when they're a smooth 60 fps and not stuttering around 5-10 fps like so many xbox games...
don't troll the x box 1 it had lot of games that run smooth 60 fps. don't know about the 360 but Dead rising looked good.

GitarooMan said:
I like the Excite Truck and Zelda screens, but man Red Steel I think looks pretty bad, it could be that FPS is already so established on next-gen and PCs that maybe I'm holding it to a tougher standard. I'm worried about how they'll look on my big HDTV, but Xbox doesn't look terrible in 480p, so it should be OK.

EDIT: I have to say though, some of the ground textures in the Zelda screens, yikes, but I think it probably is not as jarring in motion

Really? I actually think Red Steel is one of the more imrpessive looking games on the Wii.

PolyGone said:

Uh....no.

Outrun 2
House of the Dead 3
Outrun 2 SP
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
DOA3
Outlaw Volleyball
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Deception
DOAXBV
Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus
Sega GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
Sega GT Online
DOA:U
Moto GP
Moto GP2
Moto GP3(?)
Gun Valykrie
Max Payne 2
Kakuto Chojin
Burnout series
Halo
Halo 2( i know they are 30fps, but they look great)
Far Cry(30 again, but look great)
Doom 3( same story)
MGS2
Genma Onimusha
Splinter Cell series(30 fps, but look phenomenal)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
JSRF
Project Gotham Racing
BMX XXX
Project Gotham Racing 2(30, but looked great)
RalliSport Challenge
Aggressive Inline
RalliSport Challenge 2
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams(30, but looked great with no dips in framerate)
Unreal: LC(don't remember if it was 60fps or not)
Silent Hill 4(30 agan, but look really good)
Dead to Rights

There are also dozens of other games that run at a smooth 30fps without horrid framerate dips. I am sure that I am forgetting some more 60fps games that don't suffer from major slowdown. Anyway, back to the subject. :)

dreamkats

Rhazer Fusion said:
Uh....no.

[xbox games list]

There are also dozens of other games that run at a smooth 30fps without horrid framerate dips. I am sure that I am forgetting some more 60fps games that don't suffer from major slowdown. Anyway, back to the subject. :)

Uh, I can agree for most titles, but I just bought Outrun 2 couple of days ago (PAL version) and it has some slowdowns I had never seen on the arcade version, nor in Coast to Coast...

Rocked

anotherworld said:
don't worry about it...you will be pissed off more when you just spent 250 on technology that is 5 years old.

Not really. While I'm there having a fantastic time playing Zelda with my six-year-old nephew, you'll be there squinting at the TV, desperately trying to count the number of pixels the grass texture consists of. Sad.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Project HAMMER

New shot:
Wiigiochi_25%5B140906%5D.jpg

Sonki.

Banned
All these screens make me want to buy a Wii again.

My view on the Wii changes everyday.

But that $300 dollar price point kills me. (Canadian)

qcf x2

Is there anyone here who is purchasing only a Wii (as in not along with 360/PS3)?

Everytime I see screens I think "5 more years" and shudder.

And the whole hand waving controller thing. I am anxious to see if consumer response (post-purchase) is "hey, I like this thing, the control is simple and intuitive" or "I like standard controllers".

I just don't understand why all Wii games can't look as good as Mario Galaxy. The game looks tits, and is the only game that I've seen that looks BETTER than a standard Xbox game. I don't know what it is. Mettroid Prime 3 looks near there too, but everything else...yuck.

KINGMOKU

qcf x2 said:
Is there anyone here who is purchasing only a Wii (as in not along with 360/PS3)?

And the whole hand waving controller thing. I am anxious to see if consumer response (post-purchase) is "hey, I like this thing, the control is simple and intuitive" or "I like standard controllers".
Yes. I will wait untill the 360/PS3 are BOTH around 250$, for the "awesome" packs.

By that time, the selection of games for both those systems will be great as well.

BrandNew said:
I just don't understand why all Wii games can't look as good as Mario Galaxy. The game looks tits, and is the only game that I've seen that looks BETTER than a standard Xbox game. I don't know what it is. Mettroid Prime 3 looks near there too, but everything else...yuck.

Try:

-- Most devs appear to have been working on GC dev-kits until recently

-- Most devs are spending a lot of time getting to grips with the controller

-- Most of these games are launch titles and are being pushed out as quickly as possible

PantherLotus said:
Wing Island

*garbage crap*

Looks like the PSOne homebrew scene is really kicking into high gear.

Hudson WTF.

qcf x2 said:

I'm purchasing only a Wii and I don't shudder over the graphics or controls because Wii is my chosen system, not a last resort. I have no interest in the PS3, and the 360 has recently jumped on my radar but still doesn't have the catalog to justify a $400 purchase. When it gets that catalog (and a price drop), I'll gladly accept "next-gen", but until then I guess I'll have to find some way, somehow, to entertain myself with Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario, etc., all of which look beautiful and fun.

papercut

I'm confused, why exactly do we care about how every game looks on the Wii? Several developers have already shown that great-looking games are possible. Is it really necessary for you guys to get hung up on Elebits, a game which probably does not have a large production budget? Or other games, for that matter.

papercut said:
I'm confused, why exactly do we care about how every game looks on the Wii? Several developers have already shown that great-looking games are possible. Is it really necessary for you guys to get hung up on Elebits, a game which probably does not have a large production budget? Or other games, for that matter.

You're on GAF.

papercut said:

I don't, really. I'm just a little peeved that we other developers have you to reach the level I'm truly expecting for Wii.

That Mario looks great, so does Zelda and the multi-platform Splinter Cell and Rayman prove that Ubi's at least got a handle on art-direction over pure processing power.

Project Hammer, Red Steel and whatever the hell that military game (so bored with these games, I can't be bothered to even read the title), look good and show that Wii can do "realistic".

The Dragonball and whatever that cartoon fishin thing is look AWESOME!

Either way, I'm getting a Wii, because there seems to be enough games coming tht are going to be fun to play and ultimately that's what it's all about.

I won't be busting out my Wii to show "next gen gaming", because nobody will be impressed. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. People are impressed when they see Fight Night Round 3, PGR3, GRAW, Battlefield 2, even Kameo and NFS:MW. 60fps or not, I don't see these games impressing the lay-man.

The majority of the shots look very "X-Boxy".

I'm hoping that they'll get better, but that's just the truth of it.

And when it comes to the "average consumer" buying games/machines, people need serious justification as to why they're going to shell out more money. The first thing is usually graphics, with the next thing being bells-and-whistles, like "plays DVDs", "plays Blu-ray", "does backflips and does your laundry". The Wii does none of this, so they've got an uphill battle to convince "Little Jimmy's mom" to pay another $250 for, what looks like, the same old machine with a cordless remote.

These are my observations and opinions as someone that spends a lot of time thinking about games; game making, playing, selling, consumers, etc... for longer than many of you have been alive.

Take these thoughts as you will and I'm looking forward to placing my Wii (alongside my X360, GC, PS2, Dreamcast, 3D0, Vectrex, etc)...

qcf x2

moku said:
Yes. I will wait untill the 360/PS3 are BOTH around 250$, for the "awesome" packs.

By that time, the selection of games for both those systems will be great as well.

Makes sense, very economical (personally I don't have money for a ton of games so I buy 2 to 4 per year) thinking. But it still means you're gonna buy other consoles, which was part of my question.

Jiggy

I can't figure out whether the best-looking game in this thread is Super Swing Golf Pangya, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, or Red Steel. SSGP has some of the greatest use of color ever, DBZ and OP win because cel-shading somehow compensates for just about anything, and Red Steel is the best of the "realistic" styles.

Everything else is kind of meh. Except for Twilight Princess, which is half and half because the twilight realm looks fantastic while everything else is in desperate need of better anti-aliasing. I mean, it's not even like I've seen many 360 and PS3 shots for that basis of comparison, and I didn't own an X-Box; I'm exclusively comparing to GC games here, and I don't understand why F-Zero GX still looks better than just about (if not) everything here.

Not that I won't eventually get Wii after a price drop, and love numerous games regardless, and certainly not trying to bash Nintendo, but just saying that the graphics aren't quite blowing me away like GC did. But hey, neither did DS and that's easily become my favorite system of all-time, so we'll see what happens.

If any of these games were released last generation looking like they do, no one would think much of it.

At least no more than when something like RE4 was released.
Some of the games look like n64/psx games. It's pretty ****ing lame.

Being a notorious nintendo fan for so many years gives me the right to say all that.

ant1532

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Fire Emblem

from the E3 promo video
I'm too lazy to do it my self but just so you know the game was playab;e at the Wii events and they have videos of it.(1up - Gamevideos.com has some)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The Pangya screens really convinced me that although I dig some of the next gen awesome visuals, the time when you needed a huge horsepower in order to produce decent or good looking graphics had passed. These screens are nice. Pleasant to look at. The mix of artstyle and colors makes them a nice view.
Isn't that just saying that current gen is 'good enough' though? Pangya doesn't look any better then PS2/XBox golf games of similar type (not bringing any realistic looking crap in here).

Amir0x

Banned
Fafalada said:
Isn't that just saying that current gen is 'good enough' though? Pangya doesn't look any better then PS2/XBox golf games of similar type (not bringing any realistic looking crap in here).

Hell, all you gotta do is check Hot Shots and see the shitting all over it. I guess it's a matter on how low your standards for 'acceptable' or 'pleasant' is

Chittagong said:
wingisland07.jpg

Dear Nintendo,

please put a bit better graphics into Wii.

Thx bye.

Love,
Chittagong
It's not Nintendo's fault that developers can't even meet last-gen GCN standards on better hardware. For the record, most of the Nintendo games shown look great.

Top Bottom